ADVERTISEMENT

Career Advice

Marketing, communications, digital media, athletic training, strength and conditioning, compliance, academic services, game operations, development, engagement, business, etc.

So you're obviously not at a small liberal art college if your athletic department has this many positions and a quick search of those positions at UK show they make at least 50k.

Your situation makes no sense.

College athletics really pay crap. I interned one summer at a major Power 5 school in the SID Dept. They offered me a job at the end of the summer and I made more getting my foot in the door at a bank as a teller. I always wanted to work in athletics but once I knew what the salary was going to be, quick math said GTFO.

I bet that there are a couple of athletics jobs that pay pretty well and come with good perks.

636554130246178699-The-Courier-Journal-Sun-Oct-8-2017-.jpg

"On Oct. 8, the Courier-Journal reported that, “Over the past seven years, through a byzantine array of longevity and performance bonuses, base pay raises and tax subsidies, Jurich collected total compensation of $19,279,710, an average of $2.76 million per year."

Then there was the $4.5 million contract buyout.

Last edited:
So you're obviously not at a small liberal art college if your athletic department has this many positions and a quick search of those positions at UK show they make at least 50k.

Your situation makes no sense.
No I'm just saying those are things that one can be a director of that isn't athletic director. We have a few of those here, but not all.

If you are working for a college, you should look at other jobs within the college. Talk to hr. Maybe you can transfer out of athletics. Take the title and use it to your advantage.
The only jobs available are manual labor, part-time positions, and director of the career center. ANd I am not qualified whatsoever for the career center position. You don't typically see many non-manual labor jobs popping up at colleges during the school year.

College athletics really pay crap. I interned one summer at a major Power 5 school in the SID Dept. They offered me a job at the end of the summer and I made more getting my foot in the door at a bank as a teller. I always wanted to work in athletics but once I knew what the salary was going to be, quick math said GTFO.
This is fact. Unless it's a major D1, really only a handful of coaches, the athletic director, and maybe an athletic trainer or something like that are going to get paid well. Sports Info has a pretty notorious rep for poor pay and high turnover.

No I'm just saying those are things that one can be a director of that isn't athletic director. We have a few of those here, but not all.

The only jobs available are manual labor, part-time positions, and director of the career center. ANd I am not qualified whatsoever for the career center position. You don't typically see many non-manual labor jobs popping up at colleges during the school year.
You must be at a very small college. My advice is to stay with the job/promotion for now and look elsewhere. Look at larger universities. Not necessarily athletics, but other coordinator type positions that your skills will transfer to. Universities like people that know how to work within a large bureaucracy. The pay may not be great, but better hours and good benefits.

You should get your Notary certificate and specialize in "after hours service" & weekends. I have a buddy who does it and i know he is pulling in more than running a register at Kroger(s) that way you wouldnt have to drive, which you hate, or work, which you hate too.

i hear the drug trade pays very well. You can even set your own hours. Kind of be your own boss, work from home, etc. etc. Now entry level may require a little more risk, but work your way up thru the G Code and print money.

Jesus Christ, what a whiny little bitch.

Hey pal, no one likes everything about their job. Most people get burned out. Why are you any different?

It sounds like you know your options, take one of them. Both options sound terrible, so it's not like you're going to ruin your life by taking one over the other.

Dude sounds just like the guy who played trumpet headed off to college. Gotta be kin folk. Trumpet Cat or whatever his name was. At least he had a excuse ??

Jesus Christ, what a whiny little bitch.

Hey pal, no one likes everything about their job. Most people get burned out. Why are you any different?

It sounds like you know your options, take one of them. Both options sound terrible, so it's not like you're going to ruin your life by taking one over the other.

[laughing]

If they're taking Marketing and PR off your plate and giving it to someone else, can you apply for that job? At least you'd be doing the thing you actually liked.

Or, wait until the end of the academic year and try to move on to a bigger (meaning, in athletics, not necessarily enrollment) school. There are places where you can do all those things, but for just three or four sports. But you're not going to find many good options in December or January.

-trade school: plumbers, pipefitters(fire protection), hvac, ductwork guys are in high demand. While you work take some estimating classes...start a business when you can.
I came here to say this.

Also, you should make a spreadsheet to calculate what your effective salary is. What I mean by that is take total of hours you’d expect to paid for in a year ((52wksx40hrs) minus yearly PTO hours) and compare that to your anticipated workload of hours (and include a multiplier for “overtime” occurrences of nights and weekend hours). Then readjust your annual compensation with those numbers.

This will leave you even more pissed off when you realize that you are already effectively trading your time with a big discount off the top. Spend this fall starting to learn a trade and then cut bait with athletics.

-trade school: plumbers, pipefitters(fire protection), hvac, ductwork guys are in high demand. While you work take some estimating classes...start a business when you can.

Best advice in this thread. If I had it to do over...

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
How am I supposed to take classes working 50-60+ hours a week, normally working at least two nights a week at that? Unless you are meaning do that after I quit.

If they're taking Marketing and PR off your plate and giving it to someone else, can you apply for that job? At least you'd be doing the thing you actually liked.

Or, wait until the end of the academic year and try to move on to a bigger (meaning, in athletics, not necessarily enrollment) school. There are places where you can do all those things, but for just three or four sports. But you're not going to find many good options in December or January.
I want out of the sports industry entirely.

Lots of good advice in this thread. You should stop arguing with it and listen and accept it. Having read through all of this I’ve got to say I would never give you a job. Good people on here took time out of their days to try and help you and you have tried to counter every bit of advice with an excuse.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
You seem to be just the type of self thinking, decisive young man that I would love to have come work for me.

Please post a copy of W2 to see if I can meet your compensation requirements.

How am I supposed to take classes working 50-60+ hours a week, normally working at least two nights a week at that? Unless you are meaning do that after I quit.

-you could take "blueprint reading" classes online now to get a leg up. Get a job as a "helper/laborer"with a subcontractor lined up before you quit your current job, it will pay more than retail and will have "normal" hours 7a-4p mon-fri, ot on sat...you will be getting paid to learn.Night classes at trade school. Soon you could become a "journeyman" which will get you a very solid hourly wage and a benefit package. With ot you can make 40-70k *easily*. You can hang out at that level and have a nice existence...or you put your ass and everything you own on the line and start a business and make 100-200k per year....skys the limit really.

-nothing is easy. Work is hard.

OP I can hook you up with my cousin - she’s 26 and lives at home with a college degree and works at a tanning salon.

Contacted my boss via email, since he's gone for the next week, expressing interest in the marketing job and explaining the situation with the director job. I assume I'll be told no but I'll see. Just don't see how they are going to be able to expect anyone to stick around for any length of time with the low salary and the duties the director job now will entail. Every other school that has a similar setup has people constantly cycling in and out of the position.

I was on Glassdoor earlier today. I didn't see much of anything around here other than entry level stuff that I met the qualifications for. I could be doing gangbusters if I had medical or engineering degrees, a CDL, or had experience in finance. Alas, the only finance experience I have is one class in grad school. Every job listing seemingly wants 3-5 years experience in the field.

What apparently worthless majors did you waste your time and money on in your undergrad and grad degrees?

Well the boss said he wouldn't offer me the other job in my department. I meet all the qualifications for it. Said I wasn't a strong enough writer. Every other person in my entire life disagrees with that. That happened 2 weeks ago, maybe more, can't remember.

So they officially posted this other job, which is supposed to be on equal footing with me. The very bottom end of the salary range is $2K more than what I was told was the max the school could offer me. High end of the range is $20K more.

Been with this place like 8.5 years now and this is how they treat me. Slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. I'm out no matter what by no later than the end of the calendar year.

On the brighter side, got a job interview Friday morning at my alma mater.
Good luck with that. I worked in college athletics (Associate Director of Facilities and Operations) for a Division I school. It definitely gets old. I transitioned back into my original field of campus recreation and enjoy it much more.

Prayers sent for having to start paying rent at 34.
I've more or less been paying it since I got out of grad school. If I didn't live in the campus house, they would just be giving me whatever the cost of rent is. Now I'll just have to write the check myself.

ADVERTISEMENT