ADVERTISEMENT

Card Collectors

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Any fellow dorks out there?

I got back into card collecting in past year or so, big time since COVID. Mainly picking up older cards.

Some of my recent additions:

1964 Mantle Topps Giant
1969 Joe Morgan Super
1968 Willie Mays Topps
1965 Joe Morgan/Jackson Rookie
1970 OJ Simpson Rookie
1987 Barry Larkin Tiffany Rookie Mint 10
1975 Bench Topps
1965 Rose Topps
1975 Topps Mini Perez
1961 & 1960 Babe Ruth record breakers

Only the Larkin is graded. Picking up most at auction and getting some incredible deals. All are in the 7-9 range IMO.

Any other current collectors? The OJ card is a real killer...

Got an ace of spades hanging around the rearview in my truck. (Smiley face emoji)

I sold all of cards years ago but found a Johnny Bench rookie in the closet a few years ago.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Got quite a few. Best is a 1909 E98 Cy Young. Used to be incredibly rare. Got it from a guy for $50 back in the day because he didnt know if it was real. Took a chance.

now for the rest of the story (Paul Harvey voice). A few years back there was a huge find of the set in an attic in Ohio. My card used to the third best graded example. There are now 20 better. Still worth some money, but a whole lot less..

I've got folders on folders at my mom and dad's place. Nothing of note. Collected them as a kid and was more interested in getting whole mini-sets than rare cards.

Covid19 got me collecting chores mostly, so I envy you. The fiance has been home for 6 straight months. She's just now getting back to work.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Got quite a few. Best is a 1909 E98 Cy Young. Used to be incredibly rare. Got it from a guy for $50 back in the day because he didnt know if it was real. Took a chance.

now for the rest of the story (Paul Harvey voice). A few years back there was a huge find of the set in an attic in Ohio. My card used to the third best graded example. There are now 20 better. Still worth some money, but a whole lot less..

Nice card!

Yessir, I collect Cincinnati Reds cards.
As a Reds collector, you might look into the Kahn's Weiner cards of 1964 and 1965. They aren't valuable - or expensive. But I have several, and they are really attractive cards - larger than normal cards, very clean fronts, and the colors are really saturated. That was the era when I was a very young kid, and looking at those cards brings back those old Red uniforms and some of the characters that made those teams interesting. Kahn's went with a smaller, cheaper card that was part of the outer sleeve and had to be cut soon after that. But the 64 and 65 cards, which were inserts in the weiner packages, were really nice.

Collected in my neighborhood when I was 9 in 1977. Had all the Yankees and big red machine plus hundreds and hundreds more. Basement water damage. They became garbage in 1982

I've got several "card fans" shoulder mounts on my living room wall. Ugly little vermin.

Still got all my cards.I've amassed a nice collection of sports cards and non sport cards.Got tons of comics and toys from the 60s to present...Guess my favorite set is the 1980-81 topps basketball set that has the bird erving and Johnson cards all on 1 card..I've got 4 of those intact and the set wellmake that 3 sets plus 3 unopened wax boxes from that edition.I love my collection

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT