ADVERTISEMENT

Caps on nil.

NIL is nothing like I thought it was supposed to be. I thought it was going to be setup so players could get paid to be in a video game, or a 3rd party could pay them to be in a commercial, stuff like that. It seems to me that schools are just out right paying them to come play. Sure, it's technically not the "schools" money, but that's just semantics. The way it's panned out is bullshit and will ruin college athletics unless something changes. Not sure if caps is the answer but the way it is now is whack.
That was the intention, but since the NCAA was a greedy corporation that wanted all the money this is what we have. Now we have to rely on Congress to sort it out and we all know that will be a Sh@t show. When has the government ever made anything better? There needs to be rules and someone to enforce them but in the end I’d wager they become employees.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
And once this is agreed to get ready for the Title IX lawsuits to start rolling through the courts that demand an even spread of that money even to sports that don't generate any revenue.

This is going to be a gigantic mess.
I agree and that will take another 5-8 years to get sorted out. The easiest way to is base it in revenue making sports which means MBB and Football get paid. Some universities lose money so I guess those people can pay? That would be a show.

No, but what could ve done is capping the amount of portal signees one school could make over a 4 year period.

That would help curb the free for all. And it doesn’t do anything to restrict kids, just schools

That was the intention, but since the NCAA was a bunch of greedy corporation that wanted all the money this is what we have. Now we have to rely on Congress to sort it out and we all know that will be a Sh@t show. When has the government ever made anything better? There needs to be rules and someone to enforce them but in the end I’d wager they become employees.
Yeah it's basically just going to be NBA Light and that sucks. There's a reason I like amateur sports more than the pros.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah it's basically just going to be NBA Light and that sucks. There's a reason I like amateur sports more than the pros.
I agree, I don’t even know how you call them amateur unless they take the Olympic model. They get money from endorsements and that’s it. The way it should be but now they basically get pay for play disguised as that.

No, but what could ve done is capping the amount of portal signees one school could make over a 4 year period.

That would help curb the free for all. And it doesn’t do anything to restrict kids, just schools
They just need to limit transfers period IMO unless they can legitimately put in a case to transfer closer to home or something.

Should there be a salary cap on nil?. I think freshmen should be capped at 100k. Sophomores at 250k. Juniors at 500k and Seniors at 750k. Thoughts? Would make an even playing field for all teams.
No. The NIL stuff is no different than actors or singers or any other entertainment. They deserve what they get paid. What needs to happen is a competent governing body to take over and keep the back door deals (which I guarantee Kansas is doing) out of the sport

NIL is nothing like I thought it was supposed to be. I thought it was going to be setup so players could get paid to be in a video game, or a 3rd party could pay them to be in a commercial, stuff like that. It seems to me that schools are just out right paying them to come play. Sure, it's technically not the "schools" money, but that's just semantics. The way it's panned out is bullshit and will ruin college athletics unless something changes. Not sure if caps is the answer but the way it is now is whack.
I'm in the same boat in my thinking. What you described is how I thought it would be, also. It's turned out totally different than what I thought it was supposed to be.

The NCAA brought this on by illegally screwing the players out of a fair share of things when "revenue sports" became the jackpot of money it is now. So think at least the 50 years. If they had been just moral and fair, we wouldn't be here today.

Now the US Congress is considering legislation to protect them from their own bad acts? If they weren't liable for these bad acts, they wouldn't need the protection! If Apple or IBM were looking at $2.71B in Civil loses, would our congressmen be looking to bail them out?

I say let the NCAA implode on itself. Let the civil loses kill it and the rogue athletic departments that sold their souls they day they embraced the term "student athlete" in order to screw the players and line the adults pockets with money. We'll restart from scratch and rebuild. No current NCAA management need apply.

Well then they should be employees, NIL isn’t their job. It’s just compensation for their likeness.
If people don't want the amt paid to athletes, then let them become employees. If that's the case, then just like other employees, they should sign a contract. It would have amount being paid and for what services. If they don't perform the services, then they should be fired!! Just like an employment agreement. But they should know what is expected of them and the consequences if they don't fulfill their obligations. Players want all the benefits with no consequences. If they want $$$ like adults, then they should have to accept the repercussions if they don't fulfill the contract. They shouldn't be able to have the good without the bad. And that's what's happening now. Just my opinion.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I am in favor of players getting $$$. But it's out of control right now.

If people don't want the amt paid to athletes, then let them become employees.

That’s exactly why the NCAA won’t do anything to curb the craziness because the second they’re declared employees, that’s a mass of tens of thousands of employees the universities must pay taxes and insurance on. The system isn’t made to take that financial hit.

Currently they’re negotiating a settlement that will distribute revenue, allow them to collectively bargain, but NOT be classified as employees. But that will take an act of congress to work.

They just need to limit transfers period IMO unless they can legitimately put in a case to transfer closer to home or something.

Nah, can’t make players do what coaches don’t have to do. But you can get around it by giving schools X number over Y years.

This has went on for 40 + years it's just legal now

Should there be a salary cap on nil?. I think freshmen should be capped at 100k. Sophomores at 250k. Juniors at 500k and Seniors at 750k. Thoughts? Would make an even playing field for all teams.
I called into a sports show as soon as NIL was approved and suggested that there should be a team NIL cap. Basically was dismissed as non-sense since businesses should be free to spend as much as they want…well this is what it’s gotten to now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT