ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone give a QB roundup on Spring Game?

After watching the replay this morning, I think the QB decision is an easy one. Terry Wilson has by far the most upside of any of his competitors.
Bro, I honestly don’t know what game you were watching. Were you there? Danny Clark has as much upside as any player I saw on Friday. Wilson also has a lot of upside, for sure. But Wilson is nowhere near ready. He looked hesitant, and most of his throws were not accurate. If the season started tomorrow, Hoak would easily be our starting quarterback.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Bro, I honestly don’t know what game you were watching. Were you there? Danny Clark has as much upside as any player I saw on Friday. Wilson also has a lot of upside, for sure. But Wilson is nowhere near ready. He looked hesitant, and most of his throws were not accurate. If the season started tomorrow, Hoak would easily be our starting quarterback.
I don't know what game you were watching, but most of Hoak's throws were not accurate either. He was just 14-25, not exactly great numbers and he has a year more experience in the offense as opposed to Wilson. Hoak didn't impress me very much at all.

I don't know what game you were watching, but most of Hoak's throws were not accurate either. He was just 14-25, not exactly great numbers and he has a year more experience in the offense as opposed to Wilson. Hoak didn't impress me very much at all.
Hoak was much more sound than Wilson on Friday. So was Clark. If you didn’t see that, then I don’t know what to tell you. Like I said earlier, Wilson has only been working in Eddie Gran’s offense for a month, so it’s too early to judge what he can be by September. But, for someone to say it’s already an “easy decision” in favor of Wilson, that’s just not the case at all. Nobody with real football experience who actually attended Friday’s game would conclude that.

Last edited:
Hoak was much more sound than Wilson.
"Much more sound" , I am not sure what you mean by that. Hoak has been studying / running this offense in practice, with these coaches/teammates for over a year longer than Wilson. He should be running the offense more smoothly than Wilson at this point. He was only 14/25 throwing the ball and for less total yards than Wilson had. Obviously if this was a real game, I don't think it would be argued that Wilson would of had more rushing yards than Hoak also. He had a few runs that could have been big yard gainers in real games.

Reactions: KintuckyWildCayuts
"Much more sound" , I am not sure what you mean by that.

I believe you.

Hoak has been studying / running this offense in practice, with these coaches/teammates for over a year longer than Wilson. He should be running the offense more smoothly than Wilson at this point.
He is. And again, if you can’t see that, then I don’t know what else to say. But this is a tempest in a teapot. By September, Hoak, Wilson, Clark will all be different quarterbacks. It’s way too early to know what will happen in September. And that was my only point when I disagreed with the other guy who said it is an “easy decision”. It isn’t easy at all. The summer will be very important.

Wilson is a far superior athlete .....I'm not sure what game you were watching if you can't see that. He showed me enough in the passing game..made some accurate throws with plenty of zip. It's not like Gunnar Hoak is some superstar passer. He looks like Mr. Average to me. Ask yourself how much respect SEC defenses will give Hoak when he's running the RPO? They'll lie in wait for Snell every time. A home run threat like Wilson running the RPO will give defensive coordinators nightmares. Clark looks fine to me as well...he may be the second best QB prospect on the team.

Reactions: delk4three
Way earlier in this thread I said none of the QBs are SEC level at this time. Doesn't mean they won't or can't be, just need more work. I also said Wilson's speed will be hard to keep off the field but so will Hoak's practice experience in the O as well as Clark's desire to compete. My hope is they and the WRs stay on campus this summer improving their game and working on routes/timing, etc. Coaches are going to have a very busy few months.

Reactions: The-Hack
Way earlier in this thread I said none of the QBs are SEC level at this time. Doesn't mean they won't or can't be, just need more work. I also said Wilson's speed will be hard to keep off the field but so will Hoak's practice experience in the O as well as Clark's desire to compete. My hope is they and the WRs stay on campus this summer improving their game and working on routes/timing, etc. Coaches are going to have a very busy few months.
I agree all three have a long way to go and all of them are good enough to play for us. I just think we'll wind up being a 60/40 running football team because it plays to the strengths of our best two athletes (Snell and Wilson). Our receivers looked decidedly mediocre against a UK secondary which hardly distinguished themselves last season. I think that plays against Hoak and makes Wilson the most logical choice at QB.

Wilson is a far superior athlete .....I'm not sure what game you were watching if you can't see that. He showed me enough in the passing game..made some accurate throws with plenty of zip. It's not like Gunnar Hoak is some superstar passer. He looks like Mr. Average to me. Ask yourself how much respect SEC defenses will give Hoak when he's running the RPO? They'll lie in wait for Snell every time. A home run threat like Wilson running the RPO will give defensive coordinators nightmares. Clark looks fine to me as well...he may be the second best QB prospect on the team.
I guess this is the part where words get put in my mouth. Of course, all of us know Terry Wilson is a nice athlete. I didn’t suggest otherwise. But you said picking Wilson as our starting quarterback is already an “easy decision”. That’s false. Typically, the summer is a key phase in any quarterback competition, because that’s when quarterbacks establish leadership in the program and get to know their receivers. The decision will not be made until late August, at the earliest, and I still believe Danny Clark could get involved. None of us have any idea which quarterback will start. Now you are calling Gunnar Hoak “Mr. Average”. During Hoak’s senior year of high school, he was the best prep quarterback in Ohio. ESPN ranked him as a 4 star. Did you know that? Now you are pronouncing him “average” before he even plays in his 1st college game. That level of analysis speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I think Clark, yes against 2nd and 3rd stringers, looked the best of any of the three when throwing the ball. He looked comfortable and his arm is a gun!

I thought Hoak threw off his back foot quite a bit but he was real good in the second half. . All 4 have ability. Clark reminds me of a Tebow type leader. Big lefty with enthusiasm plus. Good team mate and looks to have leadership qualities. Wilson is an athlete -fast. Good strong arm. Player. Just starting. Walker is mobile and exciting. Johnny Football type of style. Mobile. Looked bigger than I thought. Billy Jack Haskins.

I thought Hoak threw off his back foot quite a bit but he was real good in the second half. . All 4 have ability. Clark reminds me of a Tebow type leader. Big lefty with enthusiasm plus. Good team mate and looks to have leadership qualities. Wilson is an athlete -fast. Good strong arm. Player. Just starting. Walker is mobile and exciting. Johnny Football type of style. Mobile. Looked bigger than I thought. Billy Jack Haskins.
Hoak also short arms at times, could hold him back.

I guess this is the part where words get put in my mouth. Of course, all of us know Terry Wilson is a nice athlete. I didn’t suggest otherwise. But you said picking Wilson as our starting quarterback is already an “easy decision”. That’s false. Typically, the summer is a key phase in any quarterback competition, because that’s when quarterbacks establish leadership in the program and get to know their receivers. The decision will not be made until late August, at the earliest, and I still believe Danny Clark could get involved. None of us have any idea which quarterback will start. Now you are calling Gunnar Hoak “Mr. Average”. During Hoak’s senior year of high school, he was the best prep quarterback in Ohio. ESPN ranked him as a 4 star. Did you know that? Now you are pronouncing him “average” before he even plays in his 1st college game. That level of analysis speaks for itself.
I think it's an easy decision for the reasons I outlined. 1. He is an elite athlete who has game breaking speed and elusiveness. We don't have too many of those guys on offense (except Snell). 2. His skill set fits our team better. 3. I don't care about high school rankings. They aren't a guarantee of success at the high D1 level (remember Morgan Newton?). Being "average" at the D1 level isn't exactly a knock on Hoak....I just think Wilson has the potential to be considerably better. I believe it's his job to lose.

I think Hoak will be the starter, but Wilson will have packages for him also.

As proven with his 54% comp percent in JUCO and his 10/24 1 INT yesterday, he isn't a very accurate passer (to be fair the receivers were dropping some balls).

Hoak gives us the better option in the passing game (though he isn't slow), and Wilson is the threat running the ball.
You answered your own concern about him. Several drops plus the INT bounced off the chest of a coverted linebacker who is now a TE.

Wilson has a cannon for a arm and legit speed.

Interesting thread. I don't know how long this board has been in existence but you have to go back to the Andre Woodson years to not find a spring QB controversy. [laughing]

For what little it is worth I thought Hoak looked a little better throwing the ball than did Wilson. But Wilson is clearly the better runner. While it is unlikely Hoak can "improve" his running it is certainly possible for Wilson to improve his passing. So where does this leave Gran?

Well, IMHO, UK needs the best passing game they can put on the field and this likely means Hoak at QB

I say that because a number of teams will likely put an extra man in the box or otherwise make a stronger commitment to stop the run first and take their chances with the pass. And a "defensive adjustment" to stop the running game with Snell will also limit the ability of Wilson to run the ball.

But such a tactic seemingly opens up opportunities to throw the ball. Think of the NW game last year (Snell for 15 yards rushing and Johnson for 15). But the Cats were almost 100 yards over their typical passing game offense. JMO

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
I agree all three have a long way to go and all of them are good enough to play for us. I just think we'll wind up being a 60/40 running football team because it plays to the strengths of our best two athletes (Snell and Wilson). Our receivers looked decidedly mediocre against a UK secondary which hardly distinguished themselves last season. I think that plays against Hoak and makes Wilson the most logical choice at QB.
We would not be 60/40 if Joe Montana was qb.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I don't know how long this board has been in existence but you have to go back to the Andre Woodson years to not find a spring QB controversy. [laughing]

For what little it is worth I thought Hoak looked a little better throwing the ball than did Wilson. But Wilson is clearly the better runner. While it is unlikely Hoak can "improve" his running it is certainly possible for Wilson to improve his passing. So where does this leave Gran?

Well, IMHO, UK needs the best passing game they can put on the field and this likely means Hoak at QB

I say that because a number of teams will likely put an extra man in the box or otherwise make a stronger commitment to stop the run first and take their chances with the pass. And a "defensive adjustment" to stop the running game with Snell will also limit the ability of Wilson to run the ball.

But such a tactic seemingly opens up opportunities to throw the ball. Think of the NW game last year (Snell for 15 yards rushing and Johnson for 15). But the Cats were almost 100 yards over their typical passing game offense. JMO

Peace
I think they'll find a serviceable QB, my concern is at WR. Just aren't at SEC level at this time.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I think they'll find a serviceable QB, my concern is at WR. Just aren't at SEC level at this time.
I thought the same just from what was on the field Fri but remember we add baker, Conrad, Rigg and the freshmen in the fall. Hate to count on a true freshman but we might have to! King may help in the passing game as well.

Kind of boils down to the best athlete vs the best quarterback for this year's offense, doesn't it?
Team will need a leader, not just the best arm or best legs.
That ability remains to be seen.

Peace
All the reason Wilson needs to be QB. It will force teams to put an extra man (Sometimes 2) close to the line. Single coverage on the outside.

Last edited:
I've said it before and will again. Hartline was one of the most, if not the most underappreciated UK football QB or player in my lifetime. Still to this day it makes me mad at all the crap he got.

I agree, argued about that a lot on here. Brooks said before his last two years that he had a better grasp of the offense than any other QB he had here. He was really having a great game against USC on the road when the late hit on a DEAD BALL PLAY put him out for the rest of the year. And "someone" deciding to sit him for the bowl game for DRINKING when he was of age set the program back a lot IMO. Too bad Joker was mitch's "buddy". Oh well, I guess it did get him two more years of big money.

After watching the replay this morning, I think the QB decision is an easy one. Terry Wilson has by far the most upside of any of his competitors. He is an elite athlete on an offense that desperately needs players with game breaking potential. Our defense couldn't come close to stopping him...great acceleration and quickness. Gunnar is a marginally better passer at this point, but he doesn't blow me away with his arm strength. He's also not very elusive in the pocket and is a poor fit for the RPO. We can beat the Central Michigan's of the world with a guy like Hoak, but Wilson gives us a better chance to pull and upset or two against the top half of the SEC.

Speaking of Spring Game replays UK Sanders made a great upgrade to my thread about replays on the SEC network, with this you can watch it any time and skip around if you like.

I agree that Wilson probably has the biggest upside if he progresses like he should, but Hoak is ahead right now. Will have to see what happens by the time the season starts. And Hoak can improve a lot also, and was a four star on ESPN, if he turned out to be the type of QB Hartline was (has that potential, IMO) he would be hard to beat.

The good thing is that BOTH have three years of playing to improve in, I hope we can sit back and enjoy both of them for three years.

And Clark (Kent?) could end up passing both of them before it is over, with four years to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: KintuckyWildCayuts

Didn't look as impressive to me as he did the first two spring games IIRC, but maybe he had an off day. I was impressed with his accuracy throwing on the run in those two games.

How much respect did they give Hartline, and we have Snell AND probably Rose for the other part. Not to mention I don't think Stoops recruiting is slowing down.

I expect the receivers to be better than they were last year, more experience for some good talent AND getting Baker and Conrad back.

To me the QB controversy revolves around 2 plays in this spring game highlight reel. (10 second mark and 30 second mark are the two AJ Rose big runs).

1. If we go with Hoak, the DE/OLB will certainly crash down hard on read option and take that RB dive away more. This play has been a staple of our offense rushing attack the past two years. If we stick with Wilson, you crash down hard on Benny/Rose...his feet will make you pay dearly for not honoring the QB run threat.
2. I agree Hoak is a better passer today...but Gunner looked 'meh' with his arm the first 4 drives before getting it going. Gunner was hitting all short stuff and teams are going to flood the box on short throws and make him go down field...so let's not act like Gunnar is a solid threat throwing the ball yet.
3. But Wilson did lock onto to receivers and was inaccurate moreso than Hoak.
4. As far as Clark...he's not in the race so it's not worth arguing. Stoops basically said so...and all player interviews indicate the same

I trust Gran/Hinshaw in developing our QB this year. But I'm not going to lie...I'd lean on what is proven which is our run game with Wilson keeping teams honest with his amazing legs and hope he develops tossing the ball as the year unfolds.

Reactions: RV2 and aikenite4uk
I think Hoak will be the starter, but Wilson will have packages for him also.

As proven with his 54% comp percent in JUCO and his 10/24 1 INT yesterday, he isn't a very accurate passer (to be fair the receivers were dropping some balls).

Hoak gives us the better option in the passing game (though he isn't slow), and Wilson is the threat running the ball.

The BW game like always showed nothing. Great for the fans, but the upside every year is that no one gets hurt in this game. As far as Hoak goes, I thought the game gave a false look in that he would have that much time to pass, he won't. Throwing strength is definitely a downside for him AND he will need for our oline to be MUCH improved in the pass protection area. If this happens, his accuracy will be a great upside for him. Wilson, after watching it on TV, doesn't yet go through his progressions and wants to leave the pocket because he is a confident runner. Super quick, still has a lot to learn. Clark, has a cannon, but like Hoak will not have that much time to throw the ball, seem to do better after a couple of bad throws like all of them did. Wood, who has a lot of catching up to do did throw two straight passes, that were on the money, accurate, and it got to the receiver quickly but is probably way behind in reading defenses. All four need to be in the film room this summe a lot plus they need to throw, throw, throw, to their receivers this summer.

Played 4, Wilson, Hoak, Clark and Wood. All made good throws, all made poor throws, some victimized by drops(most of the drops, 4 or 5, by walk-ons). Nobody head and shoulders above others. Hoak/Wilson ahead. IMHO, it'll be hard to keep Wilson's speed off the field. Don't think any are SEC level at this time, need more work/polish. Battle continues.
Agree with mrschwump, Hoak/Wilson looked best, believe in "real" action Wilson's speed will mean a lot more, (with the touch the quarterback play over rule that was in effect) will be some big plays when he decides to tuck it and run with it.

The BW game like always showed nothing. Great for the fans, but the upside every year is that no one gets hurt in this game. As far as Hoak goes, I thought the game gave a false look in that he would have that much time to pass, he won't. Throwing strength is definitely a downside for him AND he will need for our oline to be MUCH improved in the pass protection area. If this happens, his accuracy will be a great upside for him. Wilson, after watching it on TV, doesn't yet go through his progressions and wants to leave the pocket because he is a confident runner. Super quick, still has a lot to learn. Clark, has a cannon, but like Hoak will not have that much time to throw the ball, seem to do better after a couple of bad throws like all of them did. Wood, who has a lot of catching up to do did throw two straight passes, that were on the money, accurate, and it got to the receiver quickly but is probably way behind in reading defenses. All four need to be in the film room this summe a lot plus they need to throw, throw, throw, to their receivers this summer.
I am confused, you say the game showed us nothing then you go on to say all these things it showed!

I am confused, you say the game showed us nothing then you go on to say all these things it showed!

Sorry about the confusion but it really doesn't show how the defense will play when its actually a touch football game for the QB. Without a named starter at QB, we really don't know HOW we will play on offense. Special teams showed nothing because there were none. Lastly it was only my opinion about the players and that means nothing. So like I said the BW game like always showed nothing. :)

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Let's be honest...in a "touch the QB and we blow the play dead"...it's always going to work against the more mobile QB. Last year Johnson looked less than Hoak in spring drills but as we all know...when bullets start flying life isn't about a kept pocket (at least for UK QBs it is not :flushed:).

I won't be shocked if we play both Wilson and Hoak....but I think Gran likes to pound the rock, control the ball and wear teams out. For those lamenting days of throwing it around for 300 yards....I just don't see Gran as that philosophy. I think Gran will be hard pressed to keep an athlete in Wilson off the field.

To me the QB controversy revolves around 2 plays in this spring game highlight reel. (10 second mark and 30 second mark are the two AJ Rose big runs).

1. If we go with Hoak, the DE/OLB will certainly crash down hard on read option and take that RB dive away more. This play has been a staple of our offense rushing attack the past two years. If we stick with Wilson, you crash down hard on Benny/Rose...his feet will make you pay dearly for not honoring the QB run threat.
2. I agree Hoak is a better passer today...but Gunner looked 'meh' with his arm the first 4 drives before getting it going. Gunner was hitting all short stuff and teams are going to flood the box on short throws and make him go down field...so let's not act like Gunnar is a solid threat throwing the ball yet.
3. But Wilson did lock onto to receivers and was inaccurate moreso than Hoak.
4. As far as Clark...he's not in the race so it's not worth arguing. Stoops basically said so...and all player interviews indicate the same

I trust Gran/Hinshaw in developing our QB this year. But I'm not going to lie...I'd lean on what is proven which is our run game with Wilson keeping teams honest with his amazing legs and hope he develops tossing the ball as the year unfolds.

Regardless, it looks like we have some choices with chances.

I will leave it up to the coaches, they are being paid more than I am to decide who starts.

Hell, they might even know more about it than I do.

Last edited:
Regardless, it looks like we have some choices with chances.

I will leave it up to the coaches, they are being paid more than I am to decide who starts.

Hell, they might even know more about it than I do.
Why? You say MB dosen't :football::scream::joy::joy::boxing:[banana]:sunglasses:

Let's be honest...in a "touch the QB and we blow the play dead"...it's always going to work against the more mobile QB. Last year Johnson looked less than Hoak in spring drills but as we all know...when bullets start flying life isn't about a kept pocket (at least for UK QBs it is not :flushed:).

I won't be shocked if we play both Wilson and Hoak....but I think Gran likes to pound the rock, control the ball and wear teams out. For those lamenting days of throwing it around for 300 yards....I just don't see Gran as that philosophy. I think Gran will be hard pressed to keep an athlete in Wilson off the field.
Gran builds around the strength of his personnel. Cincy was like top 15 in passing while he was OC

Disagree with on Gran. Now if you want to talk about the HC that's a different story and he's the boss.

Why? You say MB dosen't :football::scream::joy::joy::boxing:[banana]:sunglasses:

Never said he doesn't know a lot more about his job than I do, nonsense.

I just think he ignored what he knew in order to placate the ones that had the most influence on keeping him and paying him more. In short, he did a miserable job supporting football when it had a lot of obstacles to overcome AND was the emerging money cow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT