ADVERTISEMENT

Can 1 loss UK make the playoffs??

stuway

Senior
Mar 29, 2007
Talking with a friend yesterday and wondering. So Bama has a tough stretch of 2 of 3 on the road against Arky, UT and A&M. If Bama losses one regular season game and the SEC Championship to UGA. And we lose one regular season game to UGA and UGA runs the table obviously......does a one loss UK team make the 4 team play off in that scenario??

I know it depends on who is left undefeated. Hoping OSU, Much, PSU all take each other out. But does any other conference have a claim, maybe an undefeated USC LA can get in being undefeated, but if Big ten teams all have a loss and Bama has two and we have one, does UK have a good shot?? I say absolutely

I know we all want and are hung up and an SEC title. But we maybe get to play for a National Title before we get to play for SEC title. Crazy but plausible. So am I right or wrong here??

• Haha
Reactions: bassmaster_vol
Yes, but only if the one loss is to Jawwwwja and then Jawwwja beats the SEC West champ in SECT game.
Thats the only scenerio and UK miiiight sneak in at 11-1 as the #4 seed.
Maybe, depending as well on the college football landscape before the FF selections.

Reactions: BleedBlue08
I think it will be tough for the committee to put a team into the playoffs if it didn’t make its conference championship game. In your scenario, I think the committee uses the opportunity to put only 1 SEC team in the playoffs. I am not saying that’s the correct decision, I just think that’s the one the committee makes. The only scenario I can see it playing out differently is if there are not 4 P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss (not counting KY), meaning with GA in as SEC champ, that from among Ohio St, Mich, Clem, OK, at least 2 of those teams must have 2 losses for UK to get in under your scenario.

Reactions: BleedBlue08
I think it will be tough for the committee to put a team into the playoffs if it didn’t make its conference championship game. In your scenario, I think the committee uses the opportunity to put only 1 SEC team in the playoffs. I am not saying that’s the correct decision, I just think that’s the one the committee makes. The only scenario I can see it playing out differently is if there are not 4 P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss (not counting KY), meaning with GA in as SEC champ, that from among Ohio St, Mich, Clem, OK, at least 2 of those teams must have 2 losses for UK to get in under your scenario.
That's definitely one of my concerns in this scenario. But historically speaking the best two SEC teams are usually two of the top 4 in the country. So I could see it either way, UGA has become so good that if that's our only blemish it bodes very well.

That's definitely one of my concerns in this scenario. But historically speaking the best two SEC teams are usually two of the top 4 in the country. So I could see it either way, UGA has become so good that if that's our only blemish it bodes very well.
Agree, but will depend on how competitive we are with them in losing, and the strength of cases to be made by other P5 conference champs.

Reactions: stuway
I don't think anyone is beating UGA again this year. I hate to be a defeatist but the record setting defense they had last year, well dint look now but this year is somehow better. I just don't think anyone UK, Bama, OSU whoever, no one is beating Georgia

I don't think anyone is beating UGA again this year. I hate to be a defeatist but the record setting defense they had last year, well dint look now but this year is somehow better. I just don't think anyone UK, Bama, OSU whoever, no one is beating Georgia

No defense isn't better, it hasn't fallen off like many expected, but not as good as 21 D. but offense is much better. Could have put 60 up against Oregon and SCar. Kirby wasn't going to score a ton against Samford, Hatcher gave him his first job and they are very close.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If we lose to UGA on a last second fg after a barn burner of a game and that’s our only loss, we have a legit shot.

I agree with @stuway , nobody is beating UGA this year, they are simply on another level. Even Bama would get smoked by UGA right now.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I am not predicting anyone being a 1 loss team. But a 1 loss team who didn't play for their conference championship has happened 3 times in the playoff system. Bama, ND and Ohio State, so it has happened multiple times

I am not predicting anyone being a 1 loss team. But a 1 loss team who didn't play for their conference championship has happened 3 times in the playoff system. Bama, ND and Ohio State, so it has happened multiple times
Preach It Grump

Only if we lose our one game to someone other than Georgia. A loss to UT and then beat UGA and Bama and you are in. We will have to beat either UGA or Bama to make the play offs though.
If we beat Alabama this year, it would have to take place in the SEC championship. Which means we won the SEC Championship.

Which means we are probably no worse than 2 in the playoffs.

I agree it’s too early to discuss, but given this hypothetical and Georgia is our one loss—it would likely depend how competitive we are in that game. If we lose 24-20 instead of 48-20 I think we have a legitimate case. Get blown out and I don’t see it happening.

Talking with a friend yesterday and wondering. So Bama has a tough stretch of 2 of 3 on the road against Arky, UT and A&M. If Bama losses one regular season game and the SEC Championship to UGA. And we lose one regular season game to UGA and UGA runs the table obviously......does a one loss UK team make the 4 team play off in that scenario??

I know it depends on who is left undefeated. Hoping OSU, Much, PSU all take each other out. But does any other conference have a claim, maybe an undefeated USC LA can get in being undefeated, but if Big ten teams all have a loss and Bama has two and we have one, does UK have a good shot?? I say absolutely

I know we all want and are hung up and an SEC title. But we maybe get to play for a National Title before we get to play for SEC title. Crazy but plausible. So am I right or wrong here??
Number one. UK will not be a one loss team so no need to even think about a playoff.

Fun hypothetical. If our 1 loss is to UGA, that would assume UGA is undefeated and playing in the SEC Championship Game. They are guaranteed a spot. If they are playing an undefeated Bama, Bama is guaranteed a spot. So, UK would have no shot. But, if Bama came in to the SEC Championship Game with a loss and UGA beat them, it would be possible. UK would also need teams like Florida, UT and Ole Miss to have good seasons, making our wins over them that much more impressive.

Bama is still a formidable team, and are fully capable of beating the brakes off UGA. But I can't help but feel something is amiss. They have recruited the OL better than anyone, yet their OL play hasn't been very good, same with WR. They had to hit the portal hard for a RB, OT and 2. WR that start. The only one living up to the hype is the RB. With so many transfers taking spots are the walls starting to Crack? Bama supposedly has the 2 best players in college. But in the Texas game, Saban looked tired, and for the first time old. Maybe that was just me.

Reactions: southindycat
I just consulted with my medium, says I should be watching my favorite football team play for a championship. She didn’t specify SEC or National. Have to wait and see. Good news. Also found out I used to be a turtle in a past life.

It really depends how many undefeated teams there are in the country. Way too early to tell.

As I rethought my post, I think maybe you are correct in this sense. If UK's only loss was to GA and GA wins the SEC Championship (giving Ala a second loss), and if UK's loss to GA was a one score game, UK might possibly sneak in as the #4 seed.

If we beat Alabama this year, it would have to take place in the SEC championship. Which means we won the SEC Championship.

Which means we are probably no worse than 2 in the playoffs.
Correct. There is a path for UGA to somehow lose 2 and us to only lose to them. That would put us in the championship. That case is extremely remote however. Bottom line is I don't see us in the playoffs without beating one or the other by some means. A 1 loss UK team that does have a win over one or the other is a serious candidate however.

Unfortunately I think Clemson isn’t losing this year and will be taking a spot. Even if they lose one they’ll be 12-1 and the extra win counts to a lot of people. I think the B1G gets one team in too. Probably the winner of OSU/Mich goes to the B1G game and beats whoever comes out of the crappy B1G West. So for fun we’ll just assume UGA wins the SEC, that would leave one remaining spot. We’d have to hope not only Alabama has 2 losses, but that USC or any of the Big 12 schools aren’t undefeated or even 12-1. Basically it’s a big long shot without winning the SEC East. I think the realistic ceiling this year is the Sugar Bowl which would be really great in itself.

Yes, especially if we Covid-forfeit the Georgia game. Sure we’ll have a ‘1’ in the loss column but no one saw it on the field so it is unproven. As long as we get to 11 wins we are CFP bond. Do the right thing fellas, and everyone get a fake positive Covid test.

The only way I see us getting in the playoffs is to go undefeated, which would be damned near impossible. We’re not Alabama, Ohio St., or Norte Dame. They’re not going to give us the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I just consulted with my medium, says I should be watching my favorite football team play for a championship. She didn’t specify SEC or National. Have to wait and see. Good news. Also found out I used to be a turtle in a past life.
Sweet. About to lay down some dough but very important question, who’s your NFL team? Maybe that’s who she’s talking about!

Only if we lose our one game to someone other than Georgia. A loss to UT and then beat UGA and Bama and you are in. We will have to beat either UGA or Bama to make the play offs though.
I don't agree. There are too many variables at play. That said, Clemson isn't likely to lose so UGA and Clemson will have 2 spots locked up. That only leaves 2 more. with the B1G almost certainly getting 1 spot. It doesn't matter yet anyway, we have a lot of games to get through first.

No defense isn't better, it hasn't fallen off like many expected, but not as good as 21 D. but offense is much better. Could have put 60 up against Oregon and SCar. Kirby wasn't going to score a ton against Samford, Hatcher gave him his first job and they are very close.
Grumpy could've swore I saw stats that prove this year's defense is statistically better than last year's so far

Pretty positive man

And I'm well aware the chances here are slim. I think it's an interesting discussion under the scenario I presented. Keep in mind part of my scenario is Bama losing a regular season game and the SEC title game to UGA, and hoping there aren't any undefeated P5's left

I don't see anyone beating UGA again this year. But it's fun to dream. We would have to beat them in the National Title game eventually, no getting around UGA

IMHO we have no realistic chance to make the playoffs
but for giggles there is a few ways we could get in with one loss
go undefeated then lose a close game to Bama in the championship game
UGA could lose 2 games and we could lose 1 and beat Bama in the championship game

i think we would have to win the east to have any shot

Grumpy could've swore I saw stats that prove this year's defense is statistically better than last year's so far

Pretty positive man

At this point that is true, but the front 7 isn't as dominant as 21, 4 first year starters including a true frosh starting where the number 1 picked played in 21. Also have a true frosh starting for another 1st rounder. At the end of the year I will be stunned if the 22 defense gives up less points than the 21.

Reactions: stuway and Girthang

You know a 1 loss B1G team and 1 loss Clemson probably get in over a 1 loss UK. So better hope ND doesn’t run the table! 🤣🤣🤣 just kidding!

But in your scenario, it would be #1 UGA playing #2,3,or 4 UK if they are both undefeated when they meet. So how close the game is likely determines if UK stays in the running for a spot.

What makes it so possible is where UK is already ranked this year. If they stay undefeated until the UGA game, the hype will be huge.

You know a 1 loss B1G team and 1 loss Clemson probably get in over a 1 loss UK. So better hope ND doesn’t run the table! 🤣🤣🤣 just kidding!

But in your scenario, it would be #1 UGA playing #2,3,or 4 UK if they are both undefeated when they meet. So how close the game is likely determines if UK stays in the running for a spot.

What makes it so possible is where UK is already ranked this year. If they stay undefeated until the UGA game, the hype will be huge.

I am surprised how some are seeing the UGA game as a loss. I can promise you I am not counting it as a won game. I think we win, but that's what a Homer fan always thinks.

Reactions: Girthang
At this point that is true, but the front 7 isn't as dominant as 21, 4 first year starters including a true frosh starting where the number 1 picked played in 21. Also have a true frosh starting for another 1st rounder. At the end of the year I will be stunned if the 22 defense gives up less points than the 21.
Hope you're right. Bet you don't need three guesses when I hope to see the difference made.... 😉

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT