ADVERTISEMENT

Can 1 loss UK make the playoffs??

I don't think anyone is beating UGA again this year. I hate to be a defeatist but the record setting defense they had last year, well dint look now but this year is somehow better. I just don't think anyone UK, Bama, OSU whoever, no one is beating Georgia

Lol... Then don't be one. It's a choice.

Bottom line is it's still a game. Still have to match up every play and play to win every down. It's still 60 min of intense competition and there's no guarantee that talent or depth wins it.

Reactions: stuway
The only way I see us getting in the playoffs is to go undefeated, which would be damned near impossible. We’re not Alabama, Ohio St., or Norte Dame. They’re not going to give us the benefit of the doubt.

Heck, Notre Dame isn't even "Norte Dame" this year...

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
Another issue is when a particular loss happens. It’s messed up if you think about it.

If you lose a game in week 1 or 2, it almost doesn't matter who you lost to, you can eventually work your way back up into the top 2 or 3 in the rankings.

But if you lose to that same team later in the season, you're probably out.

That UGA game is pretty late in the season, so that plays a role in this.

At this point that is true, but the front 7 isn't as dominant as 21, 4 first year starters including a true frosh starting where the number 1 picked played in 21. Also have a true frosh starting for another 1st rounder. At the end of the year I will be stunned if the 22 defense gives up less points than the 21.
When you have a true frosh like Mingo, you don't drop off much.
He's a 6 star.

Hope you're right. Bet you don't need three guesses when I hope to see the difference made.... 😉

I think it's good but not a generational D like 21. With the offense we have this year, the D can give up a few points more. If Kirby wanted it, we could be averaging 50+ after 3 games. Our starters are out by middle of 3rd every game.

Here’s a novel idea: what if we just “win”, and keep winning. I mean, beating Georgia wouldn’t even crack the top 5 upsets in CFB history. We’ve beat #1’s before with less talent and depth across the board (I know it because I witnessed it live and got the grass from the field to prove it.)
So it’s fun to dream, because that’s what we’re allowed as fans. But realistically, one week at a time, they just simply win, they find a way, right bounces, right penalty, who knows🤷‍♂️.

I am surprised how some are seeing the UGA game as a loss. I can promise you I am not counting it as a won game. I think we win, but that's what a Homer fan always thinks.
I wouldn’t jinx it either if I was in your shoes but I definitely would rather be in your shoes. You guys are 100% winning that game. We don’t stand a chance. I’d let Stoops spank me while I call him Daddy for 24 continuous hours if UK won.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
I wouldn’t jinx it either if I was in your shoes but I definitely would rather be in your shoes. You guys are 100% winning that game. We don’t stand a chance. I’d let Stoops spank me while I call him Daddy for 24 continuous hours if UK won.

Lol, I honestly wouldn't want to see that for multiple reasons. I know UK will be better by then and UGA will be too.

Reactions: Girthang
Pipe dream thread
No shit Sherlock. We are fans, it's ok to dream. Unless you're to cool to dream lol which you obviously somehow think you are, but you're really just being a douche. We are all aware it's probably not happening

Alot would depend on the score of the UGA game, is it a 1 point loss or a 30 point loss? And also how they do against the rest of the teams.

Only if we lose our one game to someone other than Georgia. A loss to UT and then beat UGA and Bama and you are in. We will have to beat either UGA or Bama to make the play offs though.
Yeah, only formula of events where this works. 1 loss UK that doesn't win SEC East ain't getting voted in top 4.

Yeah, only formula of events where this works. 1 loss UK that doesn't win SEC East ain't getting voted in top 4.
Why not if the lone L is to an undefeated, #1 ranked UGA that wins the SEC Championship game?
Hell, UK could theoretically end up ranked #2 in the country behind only Jawwwwja much less the top 4!
You guys need to drink some hope potion.

Only way a one loss UK gets in is if that one loss in the SEC Championship game I feel. I guess if UK lost one game before Ga. but then beat Ga. and won the SEC Championship they would also get in. So either way UK has to make SEC Championship game.

Another issue is when a particular loss happens. It’s messed up if you think about it.

If you lose a game in week 1 or 2, it almost doesn't matter who you lost to, you can eventually work your way back up into the top 2 or 3 in the rankings.

But if you lose to that same team later in the season, you're probably out.

That UGA game is pretty late in the season, so that plays a role in this.

Unless you're ND or a B1G school. Lots of viewers gone if you lose those from the conversation to early

Reactions: kyjeff1
No shit Sherlock. We are fans, it's ok to dream. Unless you're to cool to dream lol which you obviously somehow think you are, but you're really just being a douche. We are all aware it's probably not happening
Cool story

Deli you type this with UK at 3-0, ranked 8th in the country and them almost certainly to move to 4-0.
SMDH
Yes they will make 4-0 since they play an easy team this week. Making the SEC championship is a pipe dream this year. Too many barriers. Could it happen, well strange things occur but I'm not buying it. It's like winning the lottery, sure it happens, but I have never met a lottery winner.

Why not if the lone L is to an undefeated, #1 ranked UGA that wins the SEC Championship game?
Hell, UK could theoretically end up ranked #2 in the country behind only Jawwwwja much less the top 4!
You guys need to drink some hope potion.
Ok, if we were 11-1 & Georgia 13-0 the arguement that would be used against UK is we beat no one of consequence, we beat 11 teams likely none by then in top 20. So, no division title plus no top 20 wins wouldn't work for the playoff.

That is what kept 1 loss Texas a&m out and got 1 loss Notre Dame in, back in 2020.

Ok, if we were 11-1 & Georgia 13-0 the arguement that would be used against UK is we beat no one of consequence, we beat 11 teams likely none by then in top 20. So, no division title plus no top 20 wins wouldn't work for the playoff.

That is what kept 1 loss Texas a&m out and got 1 loss Notre Dame in, back in 2020.
UT, Ole Miss and UF could all be ranked in the top 25……still. Most likely only Miss and UT but good Lord how many top 25 wins do we need to be the #4 seed? Plus, if UK beats 3 top 25 teams(when we played them) all on the road (UF, Ole Miss and UT) that is damn impressive and I dont care where they end up because UK would have been instrumental in sending them there!

Here’s a novel idea: what if we just “win”, and keep winning. I mean, beating Georgia wouldn’t even crack the top 5 upsets in CFB history. We’ve beat #1’s before with less talent and depth across the board (I know it because I witnessed it live and got the grass from the field to prove it.)
So it’s fun to dream, because that’s what we’re allowed as fans. But realistically, one week at a time, they just simply win, they find a way, right bounces, right penalty, who knows🤷‍♂️.
Interesting post / reminder, particularly in a thread that assumes we lose to GA. We are ranked in the top 10 right now and it is not unusual at all for a top 10 team to beat the #1 ranked team, especially at home.

Having said that, I think that in last few years in college football, there have been a top 2 or 3 which are clearly a notch above everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueEmpire
If we lose to UGA, whoever wins the west would have to lose very very badly to Georgia and look and doing it. Then it’d be UGA, B10 title winner, UK and someone else like Clemson or possibly a big 12

Talking with a friend yesterday and wondering. So Bama has a tough stretch of 2 of 3 on the road against Arky, UT and A&M. If Bama losses one regular season game and the SEC Championship to UGA. And we lose one regular season game to UGA and UGA runs the table obviously......does a one loss UK team make the 4 team play off in that scenario??

I know it depends on who is left undefeated. Hoping OSU, Much, PSU all take each other out. But does any other conference have a claim, maybe an undefeated USC LA can get in being undefeated, but if Big ten teams all have a loss and Bama has two and we have one, does UK have a good shot?? I say absolutely

I know we all want and are hung up and an SEC title. But we maybe get to play for a National Title before we get to play for SEC title. Crazy but plausible. So am I right or wrong here??
Let's just worry about the next game.........

And I'm well aware the chances here are slim. I think it's an interesting discussion under the scenario I presented. Keep in mind part of my scenario is Bama losing a regular season game and the SEC title game to UGA, and hoping there aren't any undefeated P5's left

I don't see anyone beating UGA again this year. But it's fun to dream. We would have to beat them in the National Title game eventually, no getting around UGA

I mean they got beat last year and it would have been interesting to see if both teams were healthy how the national title game would have ended up as it was a fairly close game even with Bama down its two top WRs.

That said, I tend to agree that UGA is better on offense and a slight downgrade on an epic defense, while Bama looks like they are not worthy (so far). That said, 2001 Miami almost lost to Boston College and won it all...and a ton of other good national champs have had escapes as well. I think It is UGA.....then Bama and everyone else.

Let's just worry about the next game.........
I don't play for the team bro....it's ok. They need to focus, I can do whatever, I'm a fan. I have no bearing on the outcome. Thanks for suggesting I stop dreaming and live a bland, sheepish life. Ba ba bro I like having hope and living to see once in lifetime events. I've actually seen several, if you have faith and look , sometimes you find it man. As whatever musical said, Don't rain on my parade

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I don't play for the team bro....it's ok. They need to focus, I can do whatever, I'm a fan. I have no bearing on the outcome. Thanks for suggesting I stop dreaming and live a bland, sheepish life. Ba ba bro I like having hope and living to see once in lifetime events. I've actually seen several, if you have faith and look , sometimes you find it man. As whatever musical said, Don't rain on my parade
The Who sing Wont Get Fooled Again so I’m riding that out this season!

Like Lee Corso says, Not.So.Fast. Bama could lose two games and still make the SEC championship game(and lose to Georgia). If that happens, a one loss UK ( please baby Jesus!) Could most certainly be in the conversation for the playoffs.

Just worried about Ole Miss. They never seem to play well in that godforsaken state.
Yup, same here.

Ole Miss and UT could be having terrible seasons and UK could be on fire, but somehow we still struggle and typically lose those games.

Just worried about Ole Miss. They never seem to play well in that godforsaken state.
I agree. If we win that one it will be 5-0 and pushing the top 5 and UK could very well be 7-0 and in the top 3 headed to UT on an 11 game win streak which I believe would be the longest such streak in UK football history. Plus we have a bye before UT.

Yes they will make 4-0 since they play an easy team this week. Making the SEC championship is a pipe dream this year. Too many barriers. Could it happen, well strange things occur but I'm not buying it. It's like winning the lottery, sure it happens, but I have never met a lottery winner.
That wasn't the question. It's very unlikely that we beat UGA. The question is, if UGA is our only loss, could we make the playoffs. The answer is yes, certainly, but we'd need some help from other conferences.

That wasn't the question. It's very unlikely that we beat UGA. The question is, if UGA is our only loss, could we make the playoffs. The answer is yes, certainly, but we'd need some help from other conferences.
Thank you for actually reading the entire question and understanding. Several replies you can see haven't even read my actual question lol yet chime in with crazy answers that don't make sense based on the scenario I presented, which is more likely than most think

Bama has a hell of 4 game stretch to where the can easily lose before they play GA. I don't know if anyone realizes, but Bama ain't Bama anymore. GA is now the new Bama unfortunately. That's the unbeatable freight train now. And no Grump, I'm gonna keep taking y'all up because y'all are that good now man. You don't even realize y'all are above Bama now lol

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Thank you for actually reading the entire question and understanding. Several replies you can see haven't even read my actual question lol yet chime in with crazy answers that don't make sense based on the scenario I presented, which is more likely than most think

Bama has a hell of 4 game stretch to where the can easily lose before they play GA. I don't know if anyone realizes, but Bama ain't Bama anymore. GA is now the new Bama unfortunately. That's the unbeatable freight train now. And no Grump, I'm gonna keep taking y'all up because y'all are that good now man. You don't even realize y'all are above Bama now lol
It would be a tough accomplishment to make it but it requires Bama losing regular season then again in the conference championship and out of Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, at least 3 need 2 losses and/or 1 really bad loss.

To be a playoff team you have to kick the door down. If it’s voted on and we lose to Georgia by 8-14 points, they will drop us so far down we won’t be able to make up the ground. If we play them close and lose by 3-5 points when they are ranked #1 and we are say #3? Maybe. But then not getting to the championship game, would be a tough one. Most of the time, the two teams in the SEC championship game have a de ebt shot win or lose. If it comes down to Georgia playing Bama and Georgia gets the win or even loses a close one, we have no chance.

Do you think Arkansas gets in if their only loss is to Bama and Bama wins the SEC? No they’ll put Georgia in if that’s the other SEC championship game team

Do you think Arkansas gets in if their only loss is to Bama and Bama wins the SEC? No they’ll put Georgia in if that’s the other SEC championship game team
You didn't finish the thought. This has always been prefaced with Alabama ending with 2 losses, UGA and someone else. If we ended with 1 loss like Arkansas, we would have the upper hand because we would have lost to undefeated #1 - only. Arkansas would have lost to 2 loss Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT