ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Johnson transfer blocked to UNC

Many of you are mistaken in believing it is the NCAA rule keeping him from transferring within the ACC, this is not the case. The rule keeping him from transferring is the rule that states the School can choose to allow the transfer of a graduate student to transfer and play immediately or make the transfer sit out a year such as a regular transfer would. Pitt is the only reason there is a block against UNC it has nothing to do with NCAA not allowing it.

There are lots of dumb, unfair rules. This is one of them.

People are only excusing it here because of their hatred for UNC. If he was being blocked from coming here, people on this board would lose their minds.

You're off base. Most of us just want the same rules and treatment across the board. If you told me Chris Walker could transfer here, but he'd have to sit a year because that's the rules.. who can really argue that?

However, if the NCAA decided to say "Well, it's Kentucky so.. he has to sit two years".. that's where we'd have a problem.

If you treat schools equally, there isn't much to gripe about.

Reactions: Brando Mac
And aside from coming out and blatantly saying "Kentucky/Cal has different rules".. that's basically what they've done in the past. So we can laugh about Walker needing to sit two years.. but damn, it wouldn't surprise me.

You're off base. Most of us just want the same rules and treatment across the board. If you told me Chris Walker could transfer here, but he'd have to sit a year because that's the rules.. who can really argue that?

However, if the NCAA decided to say "Well, it's Kentucky so.. he has to sit two years".. that's where we'd have a problem.

If you treat schools equally, there isn't much to gripe about.

You're off base, when you believe it is the NCAA that is keeping this from happening. It is Pitt. If Chris Walker graduated in 2 years and wanted to transfer to UK, and it was only UF keeping him from transferring, I'm sure everyone here would be very clear as to what the rule was then and would be irate and arguing that UF are sore losers

I don't really care who it is. I'm not invested enough to look. But it seems others are saying conferences dictate this differently, just like they do with drug testing. Kentucky fans are fine playing by the rules.

..if it applies to everyone else.

If Florida blocked the transfer to their rival.. oh well. They should. And I would hope we'd do the same.

Wonder what Roy would do if Berry wanted to play for Duke?:rolleyes:
Duke could use another shooter. You can't have too many shooters:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This is a good point. If POY would have wanted to be a grad transfer to Bama his SR playing year, we would have all been crazy angry if Cal allowed it.

Putting aside the, "if Diallo doesn't come back we need him" talk. Do you think Pitt should allow Johnson to transfer to UNC and play right away? The kid lost his coach and graduated from Pitt. What if it were us? What if someone like Lofton from UT back in the day, graduated and had a year left and wanted to transfer to UK. We could have definitely used his shooting. Would you be mad at UT if they refused his transfer? Even though he fulfilled his duty as a student at that school? I ultimately wish we get Cam Johnson or Diallo as we are a little light in our guard rotation but I think that Cam did what he is supposed to do in college, graduated.

There are literally hundreds of programs he could choose. It's only his conference rivals that are off-limits. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Bad enough to lose a valuable piece of your roster to transfer, but it adds insult to injury if that kid ends up wearing enemy colors and trying to beat you.

The single most bitter moment I've EVER had as a UGA football fan was when Nick Marshall got kicked out of UGA for stealing from his teammates, only to end up in an Auburn uniform and beating UGA with that ridiculous, tipped Hail Mary. There is just something deeply wrong about it. I realize Cam Johnson did nothing wrong so it's a different level of injustice, but if he's gonna leave Pitt, he should transfer outside of the ACC IYAM.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I love some of these sportswriter geeks- Bilas included- act like this is the greatest injustice of all-time.

Sorry- sometimes not every door is open in life for one reason or another.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Many of you are mistaken in believing it is the NCAA rule keeping him from transferring within the ACC, this is not the case. The rule keeping him from transferring is the rule that states the School can choose to allow the transfer of a graduate student to transfer and play immediately or make the transfer sit out a year such as a regular transfer would. Pitt is the only reason there is a block against UNC it has nothing to do with NCAA not allowing it.

Isn't it still an NCAA rule though? The NCAA has to enforce it. If Johnson just left Pitt and went to play at UNC then Pitt would have no way of stopping him if the NCAA wasn't involved.

I guess I can see both sides, but personally I don't see a huge issue with Pitt blocking a transfer to a conference foe. He is still eligible to go out of conference and play for a contender. Now if Pitt were blocking him from UK, Zona, etc I think more would see it as unfair as those aren't teams Pitt regularly plays.

Reactions: brianpoe
Isn't it still an NCAA rule though? The NCAA has to enforce it. If Johnson just left Pitt and went to play at UNC then Pitt would have no way of stopping him if the NCAA wasn't involved.

In a roundabout way, you are correct, but it is Pitt's decision, not the NCAA's.

Not to mention, how about play calling? How about how they practice? How about how player X has trouble with stamina playing past 25 minutes?

Conferences should absolutely stop players from transferring inside the conference.

No, we'd all think Florida would have been stupid to let him transfer in-conference. What difference-maker has ever transferred in conference? Would UK have been keen on Marcus Lee going to South Carolina or Florida? Of course not.

This thread feels weirdly like an ass-kiss to Roy Williams, which is about the most ludicrous thing I can imagine, given the history of cheating that fraud has been part of.

"ass-kiss to Roy Williams"? You're dumber than I originally thought. This thread was made simply for a discussion if Pitt should allow the transfer to UNC. If it were FSU I would be asking the same thing. Your are blinded by your stupidity and hatred for UNC to realize this isn't a UNC thread it's a Cam Johnson getting to go where he wants because he graduated thread. Do UK and BBN a favor and stop telling people you're a fan. It's people like you that give us a bad name.

You ever consider Xanax?
I learned a long time ago that when attempting a discussion with someone that clearly has no knowledge of the source material they will attempt to be witty and make off hand comments. I see this is your second attempt on this thread at a witty off hand comment. Well, to that I say, stay classy. I hope you have a good day, week, and year. I hope you enjoy continuing to troll this forum and pretending to be a legitimate fan of UK athletics. This is the last reply you will get from me, I will no longer attempt to have a discussion with an ignorant troll.

I agree I wouldn't want to go to Kentucky either.
Yes NC did set up fake classes and grades for athletes you moron . And I hope the ncaa does the right thing and gives the tarholes the death penalty . Now crawl back into your mommas basement but do it the carolina way .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT