ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Johnson transfer blocked to UNC

So did Johnson choose UNC and Pitt blocked it, or is this Pitt letting him know that IF he decides on UNC, then it will be blocked. Wasn't clear to me whether this was pre or post Johnson's decision.

It sounds like that website wants the narrative to be that Johnson chose UNC and then was blocked, when actually the ACC has been blocked and UNC happens to be one of Johnson's schools-on-the-radar.

99.9 percent of all transfers are blocked from attending an school that is with in the conference and also any team that may be on the schedule for the duration of the transfer eligibility. which I think is fair, regardless if it's a regular or graduate transfer.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
So did Johnson choose UNC and Pitt blocked it, or is this Pitt letting him know that IF he decides on UNC, then it will be blocked. Wasn't clear to me whether this was pre or post Johnson's decision.

He hadn't, and hasn't made a decision yet. I guess this could be considered "proactive". I don't think he was going to pick North Carolina anyway, to tell you the truth.
Fwiw-- he is not "blocked", but would be forced to sit out a year.

So it's ok for coaches like Kirby Smart to join a fellow conference school or Missouri to hire a recruits dad, but it's bad business for a player to join a fellow conference school?

Reactions: KingOfBBN
He isnt blocked. Irs the same as it has been, if he goes to an ACC school or a school on their schedule next year, he has to sit for a year. That was a terribly written article.

I hate UNC even more than most on this board. But that just ain't right!!! As long as the school/coach didn't recruit the kid to transfer, I see no problem with a player choosing ANY school that he wants. That is regardless of whether he is a graduate transfer that doesn't have to sit out, or a regular transfer that has to sit out a season.

I thought He might end up here but I don't think that will happen! Cal announced the late signing players and that pretty much puts an end to this year. Even with Diallo's decision not made or yet announced at this point I don't think Diallo leaving would open the door for Cam. This is solely my opinion.

I get the aggression toward the NCAA, but you can't allow these players to go to other conference programs. Coaches are paid professionals it's not the same thing. Apples to golf ball comparison. You allow that and who knows where it ends up. Transferring is already out of hand.

Why on earth so many fans are ready to shred this sport apart I'll never know. You gain nothing as a supporter from paying players and professionalizing college sports etc. how about they just start a new thing, "in conference transfer trade deadline?"

Weird so many are just chomping at the bit to screw things up more.

I thought He might end up here but I don't think that will happen! Cal announced the late signing players and that pretty much puts an end to this year. Even with Diallo's decision not made or yet announced at this point I don't think Diallo leaving would open the door for Cam. This is solely my opinion.

The signing period is for recruits. Diallo is already enrolled, and Johnson is a transfer.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I get the aggression toward the NCAA, but you can't allow these players to go to other conference programs. Coaches are paid professionals it's not the same thing. Apples to golf ball comparison. You allow that and who knows where it ends up. Transferring is already out of hand.

Why on earth so many fans are ready to shred this sport apart I'll never know. You gain nothing as a supporter from paying players and professionalizing college sports etc. how about they just start a new thing, "in conference transfer trade deadline?"

I don't see a problem with players moving around. I don't think it's likely to become a bigger problem. Most players are either trying to get out of school as fast as possible, or grow in the program they are in. I just don't see too many players who would otherwise not transfer, deciding to because they could move in-conference.

Reactions: morgousky
I wonder what he is going to do if Diallo comes back? I guess he could still go to Arizona. Is UCLA in the picture?

I think the conference thing is bogus, but I don't really care to be honest. No skin off my sack. That and fu#k UNC.

Last edited:

I agree. I don't understand why it's so hard to see the problem. The player knows too much and it's current. It puts the school the player left at a disadvantage. That isn't right. I he really wants to go to UNC, no problem, simply sit out a year.

Reactions: Aike and morgousky
I agree. I don't understand why it's so hard to see the problem. The player knows too much and it's current. It puts the school the player left at a disadvantage. That isn't right. I he really wants to go to UNC, no problem, simply sit out a year.

And that's a huge issue that you can't let happen. Some of these teams play each other 2/3 times before the NCAA tournament.

Just not a good idea and I'm glad it will never happen.

I do think that Pitt is in the wrong here. The guy has graduated. Anywhere else (out of conference) he would be able to play immediately. The ACC itself doesn't have a rule saying he has to sit, Pitt enforced that they werent going to let him play immediately. Not the ACC. It is up for appeal.

Reactions: AF Cat
I do think that Pitt is in the wrong here. The guy has graduated. Anywhere else (out of conference) he would be able to play immediately. The ACC itself doesn't have a rule saying he has to sit, Pitt enforced that they werent going to let him play immediately. Not the ACC. It is up for appeal.
Let's just hope and pray he wins the appeal so he can go to UNC.

I agree with the rule for undergrads.

But once a kid has graduated the school should have zero say in where he chooses to take graduate studies.

ADVERTISEMENT