ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Johnson transfer blocked to UNC

You're utterly daft. For the record, here is an ESPN article regarding the one and done rule:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16237629/ten-years-nba-one-done-rule-no-less-controversial

NBA: A rule designed to protect owners from themselves
By Pablo S. Torre

Two years into retirement, behind the closed doors of a hotel ballroom in Washington, D.C., the greatest player of all time warned his competitors about teenagers.

It was All-Star weekend, a time when then-NBA commissioner David Stern liked to assemble owners, team executives and union leaders under the guise of labor-management diplomacy. Michael Jordan, who was both part-owner of the Wizards and its president of basketball operations, spoke up in support of the issue Stern would call "a personal project of mine."

Yes, a 19-year-old Kevin Garnett had skipped college, warranting a lottery pick in 1995, opening the gates for Kobe Bryant the next year and Tracy McGrady the year after that. But with a growing gallery of perceived busts -- from Korleone Young (1998) to Jonathan Bender (1999) to Darius Miles (2000) -- Stern and the owners, Jordan included, advocated for a rule change to stem the tide.

Never mind that the pipeline from high school to the NBA would soon deliver LeBron James. In the ballroom, Jordan lamented what he saw as the league's sinking standard of professionalism. Fellow attendees recall him explaining that these high schoolers were too unpredictable to scout, badly needed to learn fundamentals, even that they threatened disaster, both on and off the court.

Of course, less than five months later, Washington found itself in possession of the No. 1 pick in the 2001 NBA draft. And Jordan could not help but select ... out of Glynn Academy in Brunswick, Georgia ... Kwame Brown.

"Poor Michael," Stern would say years later of the Brown pick in the book "Boys Among Men." "That's the system we had."

No longer. In June 2005, as one of the final alterations to the NBA and NBPA's renegotiated collective bargaining agreement, Stern's personal project became systemic change. The revised text of Article X, Section I of the CBA mandated that draft prospects be at least 19 years old and a year removed from high school, thus producing the one-and-done feeder system. Welcome to the University of Texas, Kevin Durant.

But most of all? The new rule sought to protect owners and talent evaluators like Poor Michael from their biggest fear.

Themselves.

LOOK BACK AT the league's campaign for one-and-done, and you'll find rhetoric that has been conspicuously phased out over the last decade. In May 2005, months before instituting a mandatory dress code, and months after the seismic "Malice in the Palace" brawl in Detroit, the eternally image-conscious Stern told the Boston Globe that "it is time to tell the communities that we serve that the sixth-grader, as Arthur Ashe used to say, is far more likely to be a rocket scientist, biology professor, etc., than a pro athlete."

Stern and his successor, Adam Silver, have since stopped arguing that letting John Calipari borrow Karl-Anthony Towns for 39 games will inspire the next Neil deGrasse Tyson. The real argument for an age limit is instead rooted in economic self-preservation.

It's basic math. Unlike football, baseball and soccer, basketball is a five-on-five game wherein one star player can singlehandedly elevate a billion-dollar franchise or one costly underachiever can entomb it. "Nothing in sports is more valuable than an NBA first-round pick," one league source points out. And the bigger a prospect's résumé, and the better his competition, the easier it should be for teams to avoid investing millions into a bust.

"It has been our sense for a long time that our draft would be more competitive if our teams had an opportunity to see these players play an additional year," Silver told USA Today. "We believe the additional year of maturity would be meaningful." And if that maturity just so happens to coincide with the brand-building exposure of a nationally televised college tournament, even better.

Many players object to this logic on principle, naturally. Union leaders have long observed how absurd it is that 18-year-olds can die in Afghanistan or fly a helicopter or buy a gun but not draw an NBA paycheck. "I started working when I was 13 in New York," NBPA executive director Michele Roberts told ESPN in 2014. "I've never not worked. I understand that you want to work to support yourself and your family. It offends me that there should be some artificial limits set on someone's ability to make a living."

But this ethical concern is far from a legitimate threat to Article X, Section I. It is, in fact, the opposite.

WITH BOTH SIDES able to opt out of the current CBA this December, one-and-done's biggest political problem is simple. In the minds of its boosters, a yearlong delay isn't nearly lengthy enough.

College administrators -- who compete every year to live at the mercy of a transitory teenager -- complain to Silver that the current rule is "a disaster," upending the continuity of a coach-driven sport. NBA owners, meanwhile, want prospects with even more comprehensive résumés, further reducing the risk that they, like Jordan, will find themselves unable to pass on Kwame Brown.

Funny, I can't find anything about the NCAA wanting this but I see lots of reasons the NBA wanted it. If you'd like, we can talk about the economics of college sports, the need for money making sports to help support the other sports and the relative few universities that actually are in the black from sports. Since you're so big on talking about economics.

You mean the NBA wouldn't publicize that their minor league pressured them to add the age restriction? I find that shocking.
Newsflash, you don't have to offer other sports if your university can't afford it. But wait, there might be a reason, besides title IX that U's do this, that isn't quantified on a balance sheet. On yeah, that connection between University giving and the bond that is built between the alumni and their sports teams. The status that comes with having a successful program. The increased enrollment, etc, etc. Those are never factored in when saying "woe is me, the athletic department isn't turning a profit". (of course then we could go back to the free market argument which handles that question nicely).

That doesn't even come close to disproving my point. My point is that coaches, AD's and the NCAA are making millions, which they are. My answer is to let the colleges decide how much each athlete is worth to their institution, just like they do with professors, coaches and other employees and remove the restrictions for players leaving.

This article says that only the big time programs make money which is mainly due to football. That's fine, those that don't make money would obviously compensate their athletes less than those that do. I'm in favor of a free market. That doesn't guarantee all programs make money, just like not all companies make money. That's the exact reason you leave it up to the schools.

OR, put a cap on coaches and AD's salaries and restrict their movement.
You don't know a thing about running a business or the business of college sports. That is blindingly apparent. So your brilliant plan is to limit coaches, you know, the ones the kids come to play for and the ones who bring in that revenue and turn recruiting over to a highest bidder concept. Thats idiocy on a special level. You would have a few schools "buying" all the good players creating an atmosphere of semi-pro sports but not all the teams in the league could compete. Its financial lunacy.

You mean the NBA wouldn't publicize that their minor league pressured them to add the age restriction? I find that shocking.
Newsflash, you don't have to offer other sports if your university can't afford it. But wait, there might be a reason, besides title IX that U's do this, that isn't quantified on a balance sheet. On yeah, that connection between University giving and the bond that is built between the alumni and their sports teams. The status that comes with having a successful program. The increased enrollment, etc, etc. Those are never factored in when saying "woe is me, the athletic department isn't turning a profit". (of course then we could go back to the free market argument which handles that question nicely).
You go right ahead and show us a shred of proof that the NCAA was behind the one and done rule. Go ahead, we'll all wait.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You don't know a thing about running a business or the business of college sports. That is blindingly apparent. So your brilliant plan is to limit coaches, you know, the ones the kids come to play for and the ones who bring in that revenue and turn recruiting over to a highest bidder concept. Thats idiocy on a special level. You would have a few schools "buying" all the good players creating an atmosphere of semi-pro sports but not all the teams in the league could compete. Its financial lunacy.

You go right ahead and show us a shred of proof that the NCAA was behind the one and done rule. Go ahead, we'll all wait.

I guess you never use the multi-quote feature.

Players with qualifying grades should be allowed to transfer at will.

Fans want protection for their school should a key player decide to transfer, but where is the protection for a guy like Sascha? He's been recruited over before his sophomore year. If you're not going to guarantee the player playing time, shots, etc (which I don't think should be done) then at least allow them the same movement that coaches enjoy.

The whole system is designed to make people money off the backs of virtually unpaid labor.

Lol. This whole notion of unpaid labor is bullshat.

As a limited(white) athletic level, I topped out in high school and it would be a dream come true to join a league where I'm allowed to attend university for free (and get stipend) and tryout for a spot on a pro team.

How bout the schools say pound sand and if they don't want the schollies and exposure then we will let the next one take it?

Unpaid. Sheesh.. our players are taught by a great staff. That's worth millions to most.

I hate UNC even more than most on this board. But that just ain't right!!! As long as the school/coach didn't recruit the kid to transfer, I see no problem with a player choosing ANY school that he wants. That is regardless of whether he is a graduate transfer that doesn't have to sit out, or a regular transfer that has to sit out a season.
It's not really a bad rule, c'mon, this kid knows the ins and outs of Pitt basketball, he can't go to UNC and tell them how to game plan for Pitt..regular season and the ACC tourney

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Lol. This whole notion of unpaid labor is bullshat.

As a limited(white) athletic level, I topped out in high school and it would be a dream come true to join a league where I'm allowed to attend university for free (and get stipend) and tryout for a spot on a pro team.

How bout the schools say pound sand and if they don't want the schollies and exposure then we will let the next one take it?

Unpaid. Sheesh.. our players are taught by a great staff. That's worth millions to most.

As a limited athlete you would little value in an open market situation.

IF what you all say is true then you should be all for an open market, players might end up with less than they receive right now. The only reason to oppose a free market is if you realize that the players aren't getting what they are worth.

That's fine in HS because the sport doesn't generate unimaginable cash flow streams like the NCAA does. Coaches are paid commiserate with their sports amateur status.

Why would Cam go to a school that is known to be a cheat and a fraud full of corruption like north carolina.

Last edited:

IF what you all say is true then you should be all for an open market, players might end up with less than they receive right now. The only reason to oppose a free market is if you realize that the players aren't getting what they are worth.

That's fine in HS because the sport doesn't generate unimaginable cash flow streams like the NCAA does. Coaches are paid commiserate with their sports amateur status.
You keep sing big words you don't really understand. Please explain this "open market" idea a bit more. Don't be superficial, really explain it.

No shit precious. What you're not understanding is that these players are AMATEUR. If they don't wish to join the private NCAA while they await to fulfill the requirement of entrance into their professional organization, they can JOIN THE OPEN MARKET and play for a semi pro, overseas, or hell they can work at Burger King and practice for a year.

The NCAA offers the most exposure. THATS WHY THEY CHOOSE TO DO IT AND EXACTLY WHY ANYONE ON THIS BOARD WOULD ALSO.

Maybe we should pay the kids in the LLWS? I mean it's televised across the world. Fricken kids should boycott.

Now where do you want your participation trophy mailed?

Having studied business at UK and being a bit familiar with the terms used, I don't share your conclusion and neither does that article. You are having an emotional response to the word "cartel". In and of itself it isn't a bad thing, though it certainly can be bad. Again, these universities are quasi government organizations. Some government organizations function as cartels, others as monopolies in your definition. I'm still lost on the significance.

Dictionary.com
Cartel
noun
1. an international syndicate, combine, or trust formed especially to regulate prices and output in some field of business.

Well of course our guys cant do it...

Brian, I just found one of your posts to ask you a question. This morning MJ made a reference to an incident with a Brian Poe. Looked it up and found it had to do with football recruits back in 2002. Are you that guy, or did you pick your screen name from that?

Brian, I just found one of your posts to ask you a question. This morning MJ made a reference to an incident with a Brian Poe. Looked it up and found it had to do with football recruits back in 2002. Are you that guy, or did you pick your screen name from that?

MJ likes to bring me up now and then.

If only the internet was considered media way back then...

Oh yeah, and if I wasn't the first to use Big Blue Nation and trademark it...

I agree I wouldn't want to go to Kentucky either.

I agree, it sucks being investigated the last 6 years, having former players sue us and others present their transcripts to prove the lies, pay a law firm a million dollars to cover our ass and the cheating was so bad they still destroyed us, having the NCAA keep coming back with harsher accusations, and...

Oh wait, that's you guys... UNCheats

I agree, it sucks being investigated the last 6 years, having former players sue us and others present their transcripts to prove the lies, pay a law firm a million dollars to cover our ass and the cheating was so bad they still destroyed us, having the NCAA keep coming back with harsher accusations, and...

Oh wait, that's you guys... UNCheats

Man it was so sweet watching a team that does things the right way hold up that trophy this year. Roy would have had 2012 too but Creighton happened. Cal can thank them for his only title.

Man it was so sweet watching a team that does things the right way hold up that trophy this year. Roy would have had 2012 too but Creighton happened. Cal can thank them for his only title.

Roy houses former player who runs drugs from his house
Players get free cars, phones, tickets paid for by multiple felon
Players caught with gun and drugs and back out underage drinking the same week, in public

And that is just a drop in the bucket. Yes, you guys just scream "the right way". GTFO.

You hired a coach with two vacated final fours who has players funneled to him by WWW. Your next scandal is coming.

If the NCAA wasn't run by a notoriously corrupt guy like Emmert, you guys would have been given the death penalty years ago. How any of you can even pretend that you haven't been cheating for years and years is hilarious. Biggest academic scandal ever and it's not even close. Suck on that.

You hired a coach with two vacated final fours who has players funneled to him by WWW. Your next scandal is coming.

You guys cheated, probably still do.

How do we know?

The NCAA says so and Dane Kane has obliterated your false narrative of doing things the right way.

Cal had 2 FF's due to a Junior taking money from an agent to sign with him, only an absolute dumbass would think a coach would be apart of that and a kid who was declared eligible and then not for possibly cheating on an entrance exam prior to committing to a college.

Not even close to UNC vacating 2 Titles because the coaches and professors cheated for 20 years all starting with big nose Dean who couldn't win with upperclassmen stars AND cheating.

Here's what I don't understand, nobody has said he can't go to UNC. They just said he'd have to sit out a year--which is normal protocol for transferring within a conference. Now the fact he graduated, fine. The fact UNC is arrogant enough and those in media are same to not even question whether the NCAA will hand down punishment shows you just how teflon UNC is with their academic fraud. So let's ignore another rule to help a program because it's "the right thing to do" or "Best interest of the student athlete". Like not making them do anything and giving them credit? That's in best interest of the "student" athlete? Ok.

If Johnson wants to go there--go, sit out and you can play.

If he wants to go elsewhere and play right away-he's got plenty of options and options with championship contending programs. He's got 2 years at those schools, so go ahead and go and if you are as good as we've been told, then compete with incoming FR and get your minutes.

Things tend to get more complicated then they have to be-or should I say when it serves a purpose to help/hurt a program they like/don't like in the media.

Really? When is it coming sunshine? I bet it doesn't happen and I bet you get screwed within the next 6 months. It must suck to be a proven cheater of a couple of decades....the Carolina way. UNCheat.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm actually almost fine with the block as is but not quite. I think the NCAA should grant another year of eligibility so he would sit out if he went in conference but still would have his two years.

In fact, the whole eligibility window thing seems a little too tight anyway. What do I care if a guy takes a couple redshirts? You just need to maybe fence out wringers. Guys that go pro for a few years and then come back and "work on their degree" at 27 isn't the same as a couple redshirts or three while legitimately making academic progress.

Putting aside the, "if Diallo doesn't come back we need him" talk. Do you think Pitt should allow Johnson to transfer to UNC and play right away? The kid lost his coach and graduated from Pitt. What if it were us? What if someone like Lofton from UT back in the day, graduated and had a year left and wanted to transfer to UK. We could have definitely used his shooting. Would you be mad at UT if they refused his transfer? Even though he fulfilled his duty as a student at that school? I ultimately wish we get Cam Johnson or Diallo as we are a little light in our guard rotation but I think that Cam did what he is supposed to do in college, graduated.

I feel for Johnson but transferring within conference is as frowned upon as contacting recruits who have verbaled to another school. It's legal but you just don't

Reactions: TM2013
Yes, he should be allowed to go where he wants. He's graduated, with honors. The schools don't own these players.

I can't imagine the gnashing of teeth on this board if some Florida transfer wanted to come here but they wouldn't let him.

No you shouldn't be able to transfer to any program in conference and compete immediately. He can go wherever he wants right now, he just can't compete immediately within the same conference.

Some of these rules are crap, some are there for good reason.

Yes, he should be allowed to go where he wants. He's graduated, with honors. The schools don't own these players.

I can't imagine the gnashing of teeth on this board if some Florida transfer wanted to come here but they wouldn't let him.
Wrong.
Pittsburgh has every right to keep him from playing in their conference.

That's called a rule. You don't get to do whatever you want.

I don't even think you can waive it within the SEC. If you transfer within the conference you must sit out and lose a year of eligibility.

Wrong.
Pittsburgh has every right to keep him from playing in their conference.

That's called a rule. You don't get to do whatever you want.

There are lots of dumb, unfair rules. This is one of them.

People are only excusing it here because of their hatred for UNC. If he was being blocked from coming here, people on this board would lose their minds.

Cam has got good options available to him other than just UNC, options where he will be able to play immediately and for a FF/NC contender. If he wants to go there bad enough, he'll sit out the year that the conference requires. It doesn't matter if I think it's fair or not, the NCAA does a lot of things I don't think are fair, many of them certainly far worse than this situation.

No you shouldn't be able to transfer to any program in conference and compete immediately. He can go wherever he wants right now, he just can't compete immediately within the same conference.

Some of these rules are crap, some are there for good reason.
But why is this one of the rules with a good reason in the case of a player who has graduated? Or, really, any player at all? Coaches don't have the same burden on them. Will Muschamp went from Florida to Auburn to SC in a 3 year span.

ADVERTISEMENT