ADVERTISEMENT

Calling legal beagle and deplion

My .02 cents
We have a fat coach who now dresses like Huggy Bear who has a whole new team that will come together by mid February and make a deep run come March
You’re the ugliest poster on this board. Some may think that’s a silly google image, but that’s what you want us to think. You’re so damn ugly and don’t you ever forget it.

Cal's refusal it seems to place an emphasis on shooters has been my main complaint for the past several years. It seems as though he takes players solely based on rankings regardless of how they might fit with other players on a team, and this team appears to be the biggest bunch of misfit toys I've ever seen at UK. No cohesion, no purpose on the court, and no one can hit water from a boat. Recruiting malpractice.

My .02 cents
We have a fat coach who now dresses like Huggy Bear who has a whole new team that will come together by mid February and make a deep run come March
I have watched a lot of basketball over the past week. This is the worst UK team since BCG’s last year. We wont sniff the post season. Yes Cal no longer looks like a classy guy on the bench of the greatest program of all time. He has decided to look as sloppy as he coaches.

Cal's refusal it seems to place an emphasis on shooters has been my main complaint for the past several years. It seems as though he takes players solely based on rankings regardless of how they might fit with other players on a team, and this team appears to be the biggest bunch of misfit toys I've ever seen at UK. No cohesion, no purpose on the court, and no one can hit water from a boat. Recruiting malpractice.
Herro was a shooter and Maxey was supposed to be a shooter. I’ve always felt like these kids are so use to playing in high school gyms that when they get to college their depth perception takes a bit for them to get use to making shots. With the roster we have now, I think the speed of the game has them second guessing their decisions right now. Once they get a few more games under their belt they will be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I always respected you and deplions takes on things.

Cal has transformed from a hungry, abrasive coach to an 'enlightened' social warrior. It's great for the families that reach NBA riches but it's not what he was hired to do. Probably evolved to this new way of thinking as a way to deal with the guilt he must feel for making a ridiculous amount of money coaching a game. Its understandable but again not what UK originally hired.

Well, I’m not sure he has to rely on rankings given that he can fly around and watch anybody he wants. But he clearly values length and athleticism over shooting ability. That needs to change but I don’t know. I think he gets visions of plays like the dunk BJ Boston had in the first half against Kansas in his head and he just can’t help himself.

Reactions: legalbeagle123
Herro was a shooter and Maxey was supposed to be a shooter. I’ve always felt like these kids are so use to playing in high school gyms that when they get to college their depth perception takes a bit for them to get use to making shots. With the roster we have now, I think the speed of the game has them second guessing their decisions right now. Once they get a few more games under their belt they will be fine.

Yes, we've had good shooters, including Herro (really good) and Maxey (average-to-good), but to be an elite team in my opinion we need multiple shooting threats on the floor. Having only 1-2 deadeyes isn't going to cut it long term because everyone has off nights. Great teams have guys who can step in and make shots if the first, second, or third option is not having a good night. We haven't anything like that since 2015.

I know the game has changed but the name Kentucky will still be prominent no matter who coaches here. The pro day and the draft talk keeps OAD's distracted and keeps outside influence in the ears of some of our players, it has too. I personally don't watch and won't watch any NBA for several reasons and I used to be one of their biggest fans. It seems like we can never hit the basket with each new class even if they are suppose to be shooters and I can't remember ever starting a year with a team with no returning experience on the floor. I know we have some transfers but when you haven't played together it still takes time even if they are ultra talented. I would like to see senior night and 2 or 3 players coming back every year. Other top schools keep some of their better players for 2 or 3 years but here the pressure to move on is obvious. We can't even keep some 4 star players around either they leave or transfer. I though Allen should have played more the other night but it's going to be hard for him to get playing time even if he can score. You can't rely on freshman for outside shooting, very seldom does a freshman shoot the ball like they did in high school and when most all of them are freshman you see what's happening.

I would love to hear you guys take on the status of UK basketball at the moment.

KyFannin, Are you out of your ever-loving mind? Think again, of all the BS we would have to read. The "I love Cal, and I want him here forever, even if he can't win a NC, and I never get to remember his players name, he is still the best coach in college, and we can't get Stevens or Donovan." Then you have, "I want Cal gone, the game has passed him by, and I never know the players like we use to. They don't care about UK, just getting to the NBA, just as Cal wants to brag about how many he's made rich and it's all about the players, not WINS or National Championships."
Now, are you sure you want to hear from the posters? Just read all the posts, and you will hear more then you want.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I will only say one thing. It is not fun like it used to be.

You have that right! I long for the old days when Pitno was here. UK basketball was exciting then. We were never out of a game. Remember LSU and Dale Brown. Can you just imagine what Pitno would have done with the talent that Cal has got?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Lack of emphasis on shooting is the thing I'd like to see addressed to - although, I find it hard to lodge a complaint with a straight face when talking about the guy who has won more tournament games than any other coach, and by a wide margin. Whatever. But I disagree his selection is without thought to how the pieces fit together. I think he very much has a plan - and it's predicated almost entirely on defense. Long, athletic kids who can terrorize on the defensive end and gobble up rebounds. That is his formula for winning basketball, and it's one he's developed over 4 decades. Will be hard to make him change.

Reminds me (and weirdly, in a very precise way) of what's happening in football, where Stoops also came of age in a time when "defense when championships." Saban recently said "great defenses can no longer beat great offenses. It has always been the case if you had a great defense, you'd be in the game, and that's no longer true." I'd like to see someone ask Stoops about that. But what's happening in football is also happening in basketball - offenses have evolved and revolutionized the game (I don't think that overdramatizes things). Jay Wright, among others, is credited with that at the college level - and so far Cal isn't buying it.

It's hard to change a philosophy that you spent 35 years developing. Especially.....as I said earlier.....look at the list of coaches who have one the most games since 2010 and look at the list of coaches who have won the most tournament games since 2010. John Vincent Calipari features prominently on those lists. As in, at the top. He would very reasonably say, if it ain't broke......

If they start taking better care of the ball, and sharing the ball, they will miraculously look like a much better team.

They should be embarrassed by their “team” effort the past 2 games, and the coaching staff should be embarrassed at their preparation.

You have that right! I long for the old days when Pitno was here. UK basketball was exciting then. We were never out of a game. Remember LSU and Dale Brown. Can you just imagine what Pitno would have done with the talent that Cal has got?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke "how do you get a million dollars, tax free? First, get a million dollars...." The answer to your question is plain on two counts. First, Pitino would never get the talent Cal has got. Period. That's like me saying can you imagine what I'd do with Bill Gates' money? It's a dumb question because I'd never be able to do what Gates has done to earn his money. Second, Pitino is notoriously unable to utilize uber talented freshmen - his offense and defense are so complex that by his own admission his players take 3 years to master them, and are basically unusable in year 1. Representative example: When Devin Booker was a senior, he was the #28 ranked recruit, the #29 kid on the list was Shaqquan Aaron, who committed to Pitino. You remember Shaqquan? Any idea what he's doing now? That tells you all you need to know about what Pitino would do with Cal's recruits.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
That is what is so disappointing with Calipari. He took the fun out of it for many, many fans. The style of play is hap hazard to say the least. It is not exciting and when you can't even count on a victory in Rupp Arena over Evansville or Richmond it takes the air out of your balloon. Sad

Reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke "how do you get a million dollars, tax free? First, get a million dollars...." The answer to your question is plain on two counts. First, Pitino would never get the talent Cal has got. Period. That's like me saying can you imagine what I'd do with Bill Gates' money? It's a dumb question because I'd never be able to do what Gates has done to earn his money. Second, Pitino is notoriously unable to utilize uber talented freshmen - his offense and defense are so complex that by his own admission his players take 3 years to master them, and are basically unusable in year 1. Representative example: When Devin Booker was a senior, he was the #28 ranked recruit, the #29 kid on the list was Shaqquan Aaron, who committed to Pitino. You remember Shaqquan? Any idea what he's doing now? That tells you all you need to know about what Pitino would do with Cal's recruits.

I know that Pitno cared about Winning, not worrying about how many he sent to the NBA. He knew who payed his salary, and it wasn't the NBA. He won as many NC's as Cal, in less time. He wasn't interested in sending everyone to the NBA after one year. We got to know his players.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I have watched a lot of basketball over the past week. This is the worst UK team since BCG’s last year. We wont sniff the post season. Yes Cal no longer looks like a classy guy on the bench of the greatest program of all time. He has decided to look as sloppy as he coaches.
I will be happy to make a bet with you about making the postseason. I do agree that Cal doesn't look as slick as he used to.

Great parallel here ... both the football team and our hoops team badly need offensive adjustments ... ... but Stoops could have Joe Montana , or Pat Maholmes and that passing game isn’t going anywhere fast .. same with Cal .. we recruit shooters .. we have shooters , but in this offense where the constant scream of DRIVE is in their ear those shooters are not going to succeed . How many thousand times have we marveled at a UK pro and said “ why didn’t he shine like that here “ because our system sucks swamp water

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Yes, we've had good shooters, including Herro (really good) and Maxey (average-to-good), but to be an elite team in my opinion we need multiple shooting threats on the floor. Having only 1-2 deadeyes isn't going to cut it long term because everyone has off nights. Great teams have guys who can step in and make shots if the first, second, or third option is not having a good night. We haven't anything like that since 2015.

exactly correct, but if you never run plays for the shooters to get an open shot...……..
there is absolutely not structure in this so called offense
Sarr is probably the most dominant scoring big man that UK has had since Cuz, yet he doesn't get the ball when he post up & is open
I think he could average 20+ a game if he was given the ball enough. That would cause double teaming inside & leave some open shots, of course someone would have to hit a few
Instead Cal just lets the guards run wild & throw up wild shots

I gotta give you props, you said you came here to get a rise out of UK fans and that it was "too easy" and you are diligent about it when we are down. But when we are up, which is the majority of the time, POOF! you are "out of pocket". How's Vandy lookin' this year?

I remember all the stupid posts on here in November of Herro's year. "Herro can't shoot." "Herro needs to sit". [laughing] Some of the posters here aren't even UK fans and others wouldn't be happy even if we wen't undefeated. Luckily, the posters here represent about .00001 of the UK fanbase.

And just like a lizard, here he comes, dragging Cals nutsack. You’re so predictable man. Go get a facelift or something.

I'm a UK supporter, and a grown man that doesn't cry and whine on message boards over a game played by kids.........So much for you saying you had me on ignore. Your word is worthless.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdbearde
If you’re a grown man, my dog is an Olympia swimmer. And, agh, never mind, you wouldn’t understand anyway. Tobacco stripping huh? Right. You’d never make it out of the barn alive. Would love to see your kind sliding through my neck of the woods. Lol.

I'd be looking down at you from the top rail and then when we went to strip it, I'd have you go out to get us coffee. Any clown can cut it, we picked up guys from Home Depot. Glad to see you again, keep crying about Cal like a little kid.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT