ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari will wear Brown Suit Saturday night

CBG did this. Cal has done it in the past. It's a nice gesture to the man who made the program. Nice of Cal to continue honoring our program's patriarch. Let's hope he coaches like Rupp on Saturday to lead the Cat's past the team Rupp played for.
Billy Clyde in the brown suit at memorial.

It is a nice gesture by Cal, but kinda odd considering his tone about Rupp in 2020. I honestly thought that was right down shitty of him. He was just going along with the narrative, instead of defending Rupp. Mainly because one of his players insinuated that Rupp was a racist and the name of Rupp Arena should be changed. Y’all member? I member. 😉

Remember that time Pitino started out with a white suit.....
......but ended up wearing a BROWN suit of his own? 😆😆😆😆😆😆

rick-pitino-white-suit1.jpg

CBG did this. Cal has done it in the past. It's a nice gesture to the man who made the program. Nice of Cal to continue honoring our program's patriarch. Let's hope he coaches like Rupp on Saturday to lead the Cat's past the team Rupp played for.
I haven't read past this, but your post is spot on; kudos.

Reactions: susan2361
It is a nice gesture by Cal, but kinda odd considering his tone about Rupp in 2020. I honestly thought that was right down shitty of him. He was just going along with the narrative, instead of defending Rupp. Mainly because one of his players insinuated that Rupp was a racist and the name of Rupp Arena should be changed. Y’all member? I member. 😉
Yes this comes to mind, it is a good thing to honor Coach Rupp but Cal is doing 2 things that are polar opposites. How do you honor someone yet fail to defend his image. Was Rupp a racist? I doubt there are a half dozen people alive today who know the answer.

My guess is that he was no more nor no less of a racist that 90% of the College basketball coaches of his era. He was reluctant to recruit black players in the 60's because he couldn't guarantee their safety on trips to the deep south, is that racist?

Agree 1000% and you bet I remember and I will NEVER FORGET. If it wasn’t for Luther Deaton and Central
Bank Rupp may not be on the building today.

The only thing I have been more offended by that UK not placing Mike Pratt’s jersey in the rafters before he was detected with cancer 3 years ago was Calapari’s handling of all that surrounded the Coach Rupp discussion
In 2020.

Tre Johnson is going to be there Saturday night. Turner has a personal relationship with Johnson and his family. Also, Tyrese Maxey has told him he hopes he goes to UK.

Reactions: RunninRichie
What tone? Please back this up with facts because everything I remembered from then (and reread today) suggests this is a nonsense post.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ohn-calipari-willing-listen-issue/3435070001/

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/8/2...sketball-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-news

"From what I understand they were talking about a lot of different things (to change at UK)," Calipari said. "This is another chance for us to listen and learn. Some people agree, some people are not going to agree. I would tell you, again, for me personally, knowing the (Rupp) family, knowing (Adolph Rupp's son) Herky like I did, what’s out there that tells me it’s something different? I’m all ears. I’m going to listen."

Agree 1000% and you bet I remember and I will NEVER FORGET. If it wasn’t for Luther Deaton and Central
Bank Rupp may not be on the building today.

The only thing I have been more offended by that UK not placing Mike Pratt’s jersey in the rafters before he was detected with cancer 3 years ago was Calapari’s handling of all that surrounded the Coach Rupp discussion
In 2020.
"My job is to make sure all of our players are educated on all that goes along with Coach Rupp’s name and we are going to walk through that."

Cal is good at getting people to focus on the ancillary things he does instead of the miserable results from his primary job.

Reactions: clevenger32
"My job is to make sure all of our players are educated on all that goes along with Coach Rupp’s name and we are going to walk through that."
But did he do his job? The next thing you are going to tell me is that getting players to the NBA is not a greater priority for him that winning national championships for UK.

What has he done recently? The response should take long because besides severely damaging the institution, he hasn't done much else that wasn't ancillary.

Your right. Recently results have been unacceptable recently. And this season while getting better isn’t a title contending team IMO

But I don’t believe the man has just forgotten to coach. Or that a coach that has made the hall of fame just all of a sudden forgot

Your right. Recently results have been unacceptable recently. And this season while getting better isn’t a title contending team IMO

But I don’t believe the man has just forgotten to coach. Or that a coach that has made the hall of fame just all of a sudden forgot
If the best that you can say about a current coach is what he used to do, it is time for him to go. He is paid to produce now and in the future. He is not here for constant strolls down memory lane when he used to get results by any means necessary. He isn't here for fans to marvel over his long-ago past accomplishments. That is a quick way for a program to become irrelevant.

It isn't that Cal has forgotten what he once knew as much as it is that Cal has been doing this for a long time and he no longer has the energy, the desire, or need to work as hard as he once did. After being given a lifetime contract, what else does he have to prove that would make him work as hard as someone who is trying to make a name for himself?

As with all aging people, he no longer has the energy required for the grind of college basketball. UK isn't a school where coaches should be allowed to retire in place until they decide what else they want to do in life which is exactly what Cal has done. If there is an ambassadorship type job for him at UK and he wants it. Give it to him so that people can talk about they remember when he did whatever and he can give to the community or whatever. It is a fact that the head basketball coaching position at UK isn't that kind of position.

Last edited:
He did the Joe B Hall rolled up program for a game too. I think it would be cool to make each of these an annual tradition for 1 game a piece….I’d prefer it be in the early season with a cupcake so it’s a guaranteed W and other programs can’t start acting like it’s a big game gimmick bc of them

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
He did the Joe B Hall rolled up program for a game too. I think it would be cool to make each of these an annual tradition for 1 game a piece….I’d prefer it be in the early season with a cupcake so it’s a guaranteed W and other programs can’t start acting like it’s a big game gimmick bc of them
I could get behind that. Same for the orange blazer at UT and the plaid blazer at Alabama. Coaches should embrace their respective university's history. For example, Matt Painter should wear a Gene Keady combover during at least one game...preferably against IU, and IU's coach should throw a ceremonial chair across the floor at the first dead ball foul call.

I could get behind that. Same for the orange blazer at UT and the plaid blazer at Alabama. Coaches should embrace their respective university's history. For example, Matt Painter should wear a Gene Keady combover during at least one game...preferably against IU, and IU's coach should throw a ceremonial chair across the floor at the first dead ball foul call.
IU could have a chair throwing competition at halftime for a select fan instead of half court shots

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT