ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari: one of the best practices since I’ve been here

Sarr was wildly inconsistent, but wasn't terrible. He was definitely a lot softer than I expected for sure.

That's a fair assessment. And I didn't mean to infer that Sarr was terrible. Simply that he wasn't the player we had built him up to be in the preseason.

My assessment of this past season is, and likely always will be, "everyone sucked" and because of that, everyone was held back. Sarr certainly wasn't great..but it's not like he had a PG to run with. It's not like Cal did his best coaching job. It's not like the guys he DID feed the ball back to, could hit a shot.

I think some of our guys probably would have been fine on a more cohesive, more talented Kentucky team.

Say whatever you like. It wasn’t completely wrong. Cal openly lobbied for the NCAA to have a season because he said he had a really good team. He did this at least twice that I know of. I’m pretty sure it was after they had started practicing. According to this KSR article, he had been working with the team for a month.

I concede that Cal begins the season talking about the talent he has. Its Kentucky we always have talent, its coach speak. It's to help build confidence thats normal. This time Cal is calling the practices some of the best ever since arriving. He talked like that in 2015 not at all last year. The OP was in my opinion pandering to the negative Nancy's with a false statement.

Don't know why some think it's unreasonable to wait and see after last year's trainwreck of a team and season.

Practice reports are meant to generate fan excitement. Cal knows the fanbase is not happy because of last year. He made a lot of needed changes because of last year.

The fact remaiins, last year has left fans wanting proof not hype. Cal can sometimes be hyperbolic. Not saying he is in this case, but we all know he has before.
This. While I can’t remember which team, I clearly remember him telling some team in the past 3/4 years they were the fastest team—as a team—that he’d had here. He said it very early and man it didn’t pan out. Made some growing pains harder.

I don’t think all coach speak is manipulative all the time. Cal’s a little kid in a candy shop doing his dream job and having even more reasons than the rest of us to want to forget last year. So for the moment I’m taking this little blurb as entirely honest but entirely empty of predictive power.

Heck, even if it’s accurate it could mean “Collins jumped up and blocked 21 shots with his *knee*” best practice or it could mean “everyone was sweating and could barely walk home they gave so much effort” best practice.

Last edited:
I have followed the Cats all my life, with that being said last years team was worst than the 1988-1989 team.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He also said last year before the season began that we had some major issues and some of the practices were not great.

All I remember is Bostons camp saying he was shooting 1000k shots per day and constantly posting on IG. They left out the part about him missing 1000k shots per workout!
How many is 1000k exactly?

• Haha
Reactions: kelzer
I don't think he should be talking like this. A lot of unknowns on this roster and not a super star.

Cal knows there's absolutely nothing worse he could do than oversell a bunch of bitter, pissed off fans who are returning in person after a year with no outlet.

Rupp will be full. He doesn't have to sell tickets. But it'd be suicide to hype a team that couldn't play after what we just endured.
Rupp hasn't been full in years. This year won't change that.

Reactions: blue woman
I honestly do believe Cal to be honest with recruits. I believe him to be an honest man.

Maybe he sees something he hasn't seen in a while. I will take what he says as honest. I am just not going to work myself up into a lather until I see them play some games.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Cal wouldn’t exaggerate. This will be the best team in Kentucky history, and maybe in the entire history of college basketball. Better than anything John Wooden had. The season can’t start soon enough.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
One huge difference in this season and last....
People doubted cal for the first time

You can chalk it up to experience, guards, whatever you wish.... The reason we will be the story of college basketball this season is because fans doubted him and it gave him his edge back
Save this one for April n see how it ages

@chroix @cal-perhaps I didn't write that clearly enough for you two. Cal is changing fan culture. You'll see when you look around at empty seats in Rupp every game. Its more than tv's, its apathy. Perhaps you find that funny, I dont.
You blame culture change. I’ll blame nice ass TVs. And more entertainment options. And NCAA corruption. Trend started well before “culture change”.

Well it's subtle ... but the OP says Cal said the team had "one of the best practices since I've been here", when the tweet said "some of the best practices since I've been here."

Small difference but not the same thing. Nit picky?

Reactions: Elliott Tim
Say whatever you like. It wasn’t completely wrong. Cal openly lobbied for the NCAA to have a season because he said he had a really good team. He did this at least twice that I know of. I’m pretty sure it was after they had started practicing. According to this KSR article, he had been working with the team for a month.

It wasn’t wrong at all, Cal talked his team up this time last year, it wasn’t until immediately before the season where he started talking about expect growing pains and be patient and such.

People can trash me all they want, Cal always says this sort of thing

Cal most definitely had tons of high praise for his team leading up to the season last year. He also had that one sound bite of him saying the team had the worst practice since he's been here. You could probably do a little google searching to find evidence of Cal saying both.

It wasn’t wrong at all, Cal talked his team up this time last year, it wasn’t until immediately before the season where he started talking about expect growing pains and be patient and such.

People can trash me all they want, Cal always says this sort of thing
There is a big difference between saying I have a really good team, and we had a really good practice. One is about overall talent, and the other is about hard work and listening.
And despite our record last year we did have a good collection of talent. All-ACC Center (but we learned ACC much softer than SEC), a good transfer G (as advertised). Two "elite" recruits, but one was not elite (& I never thought he was), and the other we never really found out since he missed 70% of the season. Because of these "misses", other pieces that should have been complementary, had to take on bigger roles.

And yes Cal is part Salesman. So was RP when he was here. I think you have to be to succeed at UK.

Reactions: chroix
There is a big difference between saying I have a really good team, and we had a really good practice. One is about overall talent, and the other is about hard work and listening.
And despite our record last year we did have a good collection of talent. All-ACC Center (but we learned ACC much softer than SEC), a good transfer G (as advertised). Two "elite" recruits, but one was not elite (& I never thought he was), and the other we never really found out since he missed 70% of the season. Because of these "misses", other pieces that should have been complementary, had to take on bigger roles.

And yes Cal is part Salesman. So was RP when he was here. I think you have to be to succeed at UK.
True, but read the article I posted. Cal talked last year’s team up like it was a top 3 or 4 team since he’s been at UK. Said repeatedly that the only thing that could stop them was Covid and not having a tournament. He talked them up mightily.

Well it's subtle ... but the OP says Cal said the team had "one of the best practices since I've been here", when the tweet said "some of the best practices since I've been here."

Small difference but not the same thing. Nit picky?
Not really. Some like single strands, others like splitting them.
It's all realative to perception.

I explained a couple posts later.

Yeah, and it's wrong. Unless Cal is "changing the culture" in every sport across the country.

People started building smaller arenas when we were dominating the sport. Attendance isn't reflective of passion any more than record sales are reflective of music quality. You don't have any way to measure fan apathy.

Reactions: mebeblue2
@Ron Mehico just lit up @Sparky285 in DMX style! "Stop, drop, shut 'em down, open up shop."

giphy.gif
That’s how rough riders roll.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I'm glad you raise the idea of nit-picking. I'll try some:

What you said was, "Am I the only one who is reading the comments in the tweet entirely different than the OPs title?"

I, for one, went to the tweet expecting to find something entirely different. Instead I saw one different word.

So, the one word "some" of the best in the tweet instead of "one" of the best in the title renders the tweet "entirely different?" I don't see that. It seems a slight, inconsequential difference at best. In fact, you could argue a series of good practices - some - is more telling than a single good practice - one.

Maybe if you'd said, "did anyone else pick up on that small, subtle difference between the tweet and the thread title that probably means very little," that would have been more clear. . But I nit pick. Enough lawyering. Either way, Cal is praising what he is seeing. Back to debating whether that has any meaning.
Good talk.

Sounds like the team has been having some good practices. :)

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Don't know why some think it's unreasonable to wait and see after last year's trainwreck of a team and season.

Practice reports are meant to generate fan excitement. Cal knows the fanbase is not happy because of last year. He made a lot of needed changes because of last year.

The fact remaiins, last year has left fans wanting proof not hype. Cal can sometimes be hyperbolic. Not saying he is in this case, but we all know he has before.
Two disastrous years out of 12 has me thinking more positively than negatively. If it was five bad years or seven bad years, then my faith would be with this mentality.

Reactions: Nightwish84
Two disastrous years out of 12 has me thinking more positively than negatively. If it was five bad years or seven bad years, then my faith would be with this mentality.
To each his own, last year was a historically bad year. Epically bad. It took that for Cal to change. All these other moves were what fans called for and what were needed.

The main change I will be looking for is what kind of offense Cal will run. That is one the main reasons I am in wait and see mode.

Reactions: Nightwish84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT