ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is frustrated with the fan base .

I was onot allowed to say asshole in the t nd

A long post by someone that gave my post an inaccurate slant.
Our group is ten strong, one of the group was actually a div. 2 coach for several years although he has been in another business for a long time. Only 5 to 6 of us at a time attend games or watch together. The makeup changes from time to time because we have other things to do. We have been doing this for decades and we enjoy it. We enjoy it immensely. So, in short, I do not care about your feelings, about you being a part of a group of nonstop complainers and, about you somehow describing this group of mildly older fans as being elite because we are not supportive of firing Cal. Cal may leave but he will not be fired. When Cal is here next season, I suppose In your mind the elite win, whoever they are.
Glad to see you misinterpreted my post completely. I hope Cal is here next year. I sorely want Cal to fix this mess.

My intent was the same as yours. Most of us run with a small circle of friends who tend to agree on things.

One thing every fan can agree on is that this program is broken right now.

What we are obviously struggling to agree on is how does the program get revitalized and can (will) Cal be the person to do it going forward.

Everyone has an opinion on this issue, and all are entitled to voice their opinions.

Even those who you disagree with.

Like I said in another post. Cal has managed to do something I thought impossible. Cal has divided the most loyal fan base in the world.

Today is the day I learned there is no character limit when posting to rivals. Holy words Batman.

I’m not comparing anything to anything. That list sucks. That’s my opinion. If we had to replace Cal tomorrow with someone on that list then I’d be bummed. I don’t want a change just for the sake of change. I don’t want change because the team took a knee. I don’t want change because Cal insults the fan base and I don’t care what he feels about the Kentucky legacy.

I want to see UK win games, plain and simple. I’ll take Cal over what I see on that list. This year not withstanding (this year is a dumpster fire and I’m over it). I’m not a Cal lover. I only care about who gives us the best chance to win. I think it’s Cal. That’s my opinion and if anyone doesn’t like it, I don’t care. If we are a .500 team next year then I’ll go look for my pitchfork and join in.
Here's the deal, young teams choke in the tournament when the heat really gets applied. That's what happened in 2014 in the title game, it's what happened at the free throw line in 2018 against KSU and it's what happened in the E8 against Auburn, both at the free throw line and with our pg. The 2010 team choked too.

With Cal, we are always going to be young and the only way to overcome it, is by getting an AD or a Zion, but generational players are no longer going to college.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Cal puts the NBA draft ahead of UK's success. It will really come to a head in a couple weeks when 3 guys go to the NBA draft after a year in which we had somewhere around 10 wins.

It is Cal's NBA first draft culture that caused the downturn since 2015 and it most certainly is the #1 reason for this pathetic season.

I refuse to support a guy that prioritizes the nba draft over UK, then gets mad at the fans for being pissed about it.

Last edited:
This is fair, but....I mean subtract this year....And well last year was cancelled, BUT---I mean that team was balling. Legit FF contender.

Agree? Ok, good.

2019---Elite 8. OT loss to Auburn. Easily could have been in the FF.
2018--- SW 16---I mean,that team played to seed.
2017---ELite 8----Yeah, I know...
2016---Tough seed(4) vs an also underseeded IU team(5). Should have been a SW 16 gme.

I mean, who knows what last year brings....But lets say, ELite 8. That would be be three Elite 8's in 4 years...

OT loss and buzzer beating loss away from 2 more FF's.

Thing is, this year is an outlier...Chacnes of this happening , I mean, every worse scenario had to happen...

And well, I mean, it did.

Has Cal produced as he did early? Of course not. Was it realistic to expect him to do so? Of course not.

Look at it like this....

K went to 5 straight FF's, early in his tenure(88-92). Went to 7 Final Four in 9 seasons: 1986, then 88-92, then again in 94. After that FF in 94, Duke didn't reach another FF until 1999. In between they lost once in the 1st round...once in the 2nd round...once in the ELite 8, and missed the tourney once...

From 1980-1994, K went to 7 FF's and won 2 titles. Since then hes been to ONLY 5 FF's , but there is the 3 titles...

Point is---Even the great ones hit a skid..
To pick at your premise a little . . .
1. If they "easily could have been in the FF" then why weren't we? Why did we struggle to ultimately lose to a short handed Auburn team in a close game?
2. Eilte 8's are not the accomplishment for blue blood teams. It realistically means you beat 1 team in your class most seasons to get there right? The first two rounds you are pretty strong favorites each time and expected to win. Then one toss up game maybe.

Last edited:
The guy makes almost $10 million and doesn't believe he should be held to a standard of winning.
WkKY.gif

Here's the deal, young teams choke in the tournament when the heat really gets applied. That's what happened in 2014 in the title game, it's what happened at the free throw line in 2018 against KSU and it's what happened in the E8 against Auburn, both at the free throw line and with our pg. The 2010 team choked too.

With Cal, we are always going to be young and the onky way to overcome it, is by getting an AD or a Zion, but generational players are no longer going to college.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Cal puts the NBA draft ahead of UK's success. It will really come to a head in a couple weeks when 3 guys go to the NBA draft after a year in which we had somewhere around 10 wins.

It is Cal's NBA first draft culture that caused the downturn since 2015 and it most certainly is the #1 reason for this pathetic season.

I refuse to support a guy that prioritizes the nba draft over UK, then gets mad at the fans for being pissed about it.
You had previously said you did not want to see Cal fired. You still going with that? I don’t care. Just wondering.

No, no, no, we hired Cal when he had no titles and two final four seasons vacated. That's the bar.
We also hired Adolph Rupp, Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, BCG, and John Calipari as coaches who had never won an NCAA championship.

These Cal lovers who spout off about not hiring a coach without a NC pedigree are oblivious to every coach hired at UK, including JC.

Coaching at UK provides the opportunity for a decent coach to win a NC. Not the other way around.

Cal would still be at 0 NC had he not come to KY. in my opinion.

Last edited:
Of course you had. So, when he leaves, you gonna follow him?
So let’s say Cal gets fired Beard comes in here and Billy Gs us. Then we hire Pearl, he comes in and takes us to whole other level of suck. Never again another elite player to suit up here. Is that really what you want?

So let’s say Cal gets fired Beard comes in here and Billy Gs us. Then we hire Pearl, he comes in and takes us to whole other level of suck. Never again another elite player to suit up here. Is that really what you want?
Suppose this season becomes the normal. Double digit losses, early losses in the tourney, provided we make it, multiple NIT bids. Is that what you really want?

So what you are saying is that Cal IS UK basketball and we are shit and we can never hire a good coach again.UK might as well shut the program down when Cal leaves.

Dude , there is no way Cal is getting fired. I don’t think anyone believes that will happen.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Okay, I'll play along with this stupid game. I know what you're getting at. You are comparing every candidate to what Cal has accomplished at UK from 2009 through 2015, but guess what, Cal never did that either prior to coming to UK.

What was on Cal's Resume prior to 2009? 2 vacated seasons is what I see.
What was on Bill Self's resume before he went to KU?
What was on Jay Wright's resume before 2016?
What was on Roy's resume prior to getting the uNC job? Prior to getting the KU job?
What was on Juwan Howard's resume prior to taking the Michigan job?
What was On K's resume prior to taking the duke job?
What was on Brad Stevens' resume prior to 2010?
What was on Billy Donovan's resume prior to getting the Florida job?
What was on Izzo's resume before he took the MSU job?
What was on Tubby's resume prior yo getting the UK job and what is on it since he left?

The bottom line is, the UK program is unlike any other program in the country, sans duke and uNC. Recruiting to Butler, Michigan, Florida, Memphis, UMass and even Georgia, is far more difficult than it is at UK.

Winming games at UK, if that is your main focal point, should be much easier than it is at any other program. The fanbase is massive and everyone involved pushes the program. The fans pack Rupp arena and any neutral site game. The facilities are top notch.

You can't compare what Musselman did at Nevada and Arkansas to what Cal did at UK, that's just ridiculous.

dude, he knows all this. I’m not saying he is an all out imbecile but just remember you’re clearly having a dialogue with someone rather simple minded. If something is obviously red he will say it’s dark pink. If something is obviously blue he’ll say it’s light purple.

The John Calipari first fans are easy to spot a mile away. Most are so enamored and doe eyed for his “ stance and fight” that they simply ignore the obvious and lap up everything he says and does because, after all, they support John Calipari first and Kentucky basketball second.

Last edited:
You had previously said you did not want to see Cal fired. You still going with that? I don’t care. Just wondering.
No, I don't want him fired, but I refuse to support him while he flips us the bird as he satisfies his NBA draft boner.

It’s not possible to fire him, the buyout is too ridiculous and it's a bad look to fire him with what he did from 2009 through 2015.

My only hope is that he changes things, or feels the heat from UK brass, donors and the BBN.

His whole motto, "it's about the kids" is a farce. You can't say that and watch a bunch of kids leave early and land in the GL or overseas.

You can make it about the kids AND the program and make it to where everybody comes out on top. Right now, it's about NBA draft picks, not the kids. Boston didn't need help, Clarke didn’t need help, Wall didn't need help, Bam, Monk, Fox, Cuz, Knight, AD, Gilchrist, Towns, Booker and Randle, didn't need help. Briscoe, Lamb, Teague, Orton, SKJ, Hagans, EJ, Allen, Baker, Juzang, Matthews, Hawkins and many others, needed Cal's help and he failed them. Yeah, some of them bit the hand that feeds, but that's because his culture is missing communication and individual plans for each player.

This one and done farce needs to end, he will never win a title with it, not when there are 10 + teams out there that are built with seasoned juniors and seniors that don't choke and don’t have 1 foot out the door.

No, I don't want him fired, but I refuse to support him while he flips us the bird as he satisfies his NBA draft boner.

It’s not possible to fire him, the buyout is too ridiculous and it's a bad look to fire him with what he did from 2009 through 2015.

My only hope is that he changes things, or feels the heat from UK brass, donors and the BBN.

His whole motto, "it's about the kids" is a farce. You can't say that and watch a bunch of kids leave early and land in the GL or overseas.

You can make it about the kids AND the program and make it to where everybody comes out on top. Right now, it's about NBA draft picks, not the kids. Boston didn't need help, Clarke didn’t need help, Wall didn't need help, Bam, Monk, Fox, Cuz, Knight, AD, Gilchrist, Towns, Booker and Randle, didn't need help. Briscoe, Lamb, Teague, Orton, SKJ, Hagans, EJ, Allen, Baker, Juzang, Matthews, Hawkins and many others, needed Cal's help and he failed them. Yeah, some of them bit the hand that feeds, but that's because his culture is missing communication and individual plans for each player.

This one and done farce needs to end, he will never win a title with it, not when there are 10 + teams out there that are built with seasoned juniors and seniors that don't choke and don’t have 1 foot out the door.
Everyone keeps saying they don’t want him fired but want change. I understand, he won’t be fired. But I want change, and I don’t care if it’s by being fired, him walking for another job, or his ego. Whatever it takes. I want change. And that’s not happening as long as Mr. One and Done is here. It just isn’t. So I don’t mind saying yes, fire him.

Everyone just needs to relax and enjoy the ride. Kentucky Basketball didn't even exist before Calipari got here, well, except those two years with Billy Clyde.

Now, when Calipari leaves, Kentucky Basketball will simply fade away. There isn't a replacement for John Calipari...

Everyone just needs to relax and enjoy the ride. Kentucky Basketball didn't even exist before Calipari got here, well, except those two years with Billy Clyde.

Now, when Calipari leaves, Kentucky Basketball will simply fade away. There isn't a replacement for John Calipari...
Damn. I feel so ashamed.🤭

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Everyone keeps saying they don’t want him fired but want change. I understand, he won’t be fired. But I want change, and I don’t care if it’s by being fired, him walking for another job, or his ego. Whatever it takes. I want change. And that’s not happening as long as Mr. One and Done is here. It just isn’t. So I don’t mind saying yes, fire him.
10 years from now, after another 3 NIT appearances, 0 final fours, 3rd in all time wins, another 20 losses in Rupp, another couple Evansville-ish losses in Rupp and another 30 draft picks (yeah NBA), these Cal fans will have to turn around and say, "you know, you guys were right, we should have ran his ass out back in 2021". They need to physically see the demise happen to believe it.

10 years from now, after another 3 NIT appearances, 0 final fours, 3rd in all time wins, another 20 losses in Rupp, another couple Evansville-ish losses in Rupp and another 30 draft picks (yeah NBA), these Cal fans will have to turn around and say, "you know, you guys were right, we should have ran his ass out back in 2021". They need to physically see the demise happen to believe it.
Trust me, it won’t take that long. Unless the fans I grew up with have died out. There’s still plenty of “older” fans around. And they can still comprehend. Better than most actually. It’s going to work out. Our fans still rule, no matter what Mr. one and done says. He will see.

Great post. About the kids my ass, never has been. The guy is a complete Microphone/camera hunting look at me, look what I did narcissist and many people see it now.

dude, he knows all this. I’m not saying he is an all out imbecile but just remember you’re clearly having a dialogue with someone rather simple minded. If something is obviously red he will say it’s dark pink. If something is obviously blue he’ll say it’s light purple.

The John Calipari first fans are easy to spot a mile away. Most are so enamored and doe eyed for his “ stance and fight” that they simply ignore the obvious and lap up everything he says and does because, after all, they support John Calipari first and Kentucky basketball second.
I’ve been pretty clear about where I stand. Just read my posts. Not a Cal lover. You and I have a philosophical difference about it all. Nothing more. Well, you also like Andy what’s his name way more than me. There’s that too. But the heart wants what it wants.

Was at a local high school game the other night.
Today is the day I learned there is no character limit when posting to rivals. Holy words Batman.

I’m not comparing anything to anything. That list sucks. That’s my opinion. If we had to replace Cal tomorrow with someone on that list then I’d be bummed. I don’t want a change just for the sake of change. I don’t want change because the team took a knee. I don’t want change because Cal insults the fan base and I don’t care what he feels about the Kentucky legacy.

I want to see UK win games, plain and simple. I’ll take Cal over what I see on that list. This year not withstanding (this year is a dumpster fire and I’m over it). I’m not a Cal lover. I only care about who gives us the best chance to win. I think it’s Cal. That’s my opinion and if anyone doesn’t like it, I don’t care. If we are a .500 team next year then I’ll go look for my pitchfork and join in.
I do care that he insults the fan base and that is where it drew the line for me. He doesn’t get a pass on that. As long as he is coach I will not support anything basketball related at UK. I will support all other UK sports.

You’re being dramatic. He won’t be here 10 more years regardless. I’d say the picture will not be as bleak as you predict either. But your opinion is your own.

You’re being dramatic. He won’t be here 10 more years regardless. I’d say the picture will not be as bleak as you predict either. But your opinion is your own.
If he doesn't change the culture, I bet my predictions won't be far off, if they're off at all.

Reactions: deep3
Was at a local high school game the other night.

I do care that he insults the fan base and that is where it drew the line for me. He doesn’t get a pass on that. As long as he is coach I will not support anything basketball related at UK. I will support all other UK sports.
I got you. I respect your opinion. But You’re on a uk basketball board even still.

If he doesn't change the culture, I bet my predictions won't be far off, if they're off at all.
Here’s the thing. His culture has never changed. His culture has been the same since day 1. But we were winning and you had no problem with it. How can you not see that? He’s been pro-nba since John wall. His problem is that his monster took on a life of its own and that monster started eating the confidence of the players that needed to be juniors here. It got too big until it finally got scary. So yes he needs to adjust his approach and find away to keep the EJ’s and Juzangs around for a few years. You keep acting like he has all of a sudden adopted this NBA first mentality. He’s done it for 11 years my dude. It’s the kids that are changing how they react to it. So he better adjust something to ease their minds. Even the superstar studs are afraid to come here for fear of failing to meet expectations.

I’ve said over and over I’ll take my chances with Cal fixing this over starting anew from a crop of coaching candidates that I don’t personally like.

Winning is everything. To me anyway. Win games and all these disgruntled fans come back like nothing ever happened. They’ll overlook their wounded feelings and all will be fine.

Reactions: LukaszObrzut87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT