ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari delivers a final message to Marques Bolden

Did this kid not see all the players who come back here, the Derby pictures, the relationship that Cal has with his former players? Duke is about K, and Cal is about the players. If he doesn't get it, too bad.

Yup, UK is the only school that has a strong family bond. Duke is about nothing but K and he has no relationships with his former players. That's why they have the K academy every year where tons of former players come back to take part and reminisce about old times. Posts like this are ridiculous. Even 2 of the 13 active four star generals in Army are former players of K's and talk about his role in their life to this very day and that was in the 70's. Take off the shades, dude...

MJ talking about Cal's "mom" remark in his press conference yesterday.

They are debating whether it was a great decision or an awful decision on Cal's part.

MJ wasn't really sure. Said he thinks Cal's thought process was that it's 60/40 Duke right now and he went all in to try to get him at UK.

Interesting discussion.

MJ talking about Cal's "mom" remark in his press conference yesterday.

They are debating whether it was a great decision or an awful decision on Cal's part.

MJ wasn't really sure. Said he thinks Cal's thought process was that it's 60/40 Duke right now and he went all in to try to get him at UK.

Interesting discussion.

What was the "Mom" comment?

Matt Jones is a bag of hot air. As for Bolden, it looks to me like he wants UK and is just waiting for the schollie to be available.
Cal is a master of communicating and knowing exactly what to say.

What was the "Mom" comment?

“I’ll give you an example. I go in a house and I start talking about the academics and what we’re doing here,” Cal said. “We walk in and I’m talking academically what we do and our kids, and Alex and this and this and we talk about servant leadership…And the mother looks at me and says, ‘All you talk about is the NBA.’ Excuse me? I just walked in. I look at the kid and I say, ‘You’re not gonna start, I can’t promise you that. If you want to start, you’ll start. I’m not promising you shots, minutes. You come here, you earn it. We don’t give fish, we give fishing rods.’ That’s when I said, what’s being said out here?”

If it's slanted towards Duke then why hasn't the kid just announced any time in the last month? Logic is not on MJ's side with this recruitment if you go by what he's said over the past few weeks.

I really don't think Matt Jones knows anything about where Bolden is going.It seems like he is just guessing like we all are.

I really don't think Matt Jones knows anything about where Bolden is going.It seems like he is just guessing like we all are.

Considering he has said numerous times he doesn't know and is only going off the little that has been shared with him, this is a brilliant analysis on your part!

To his credit he seems to admit that about this one. I think "no one knows anything" is stupid any time someone says it in recruiting (because shockingly, not everyone shares the same 2 sources. Imagine that!) but at least it's an admittance of being out of the loop on this one in particular.

Considering he has said numerous times he doesn't know and is only going off the little that has been shared with him, this is a brilliant analysis on your part!
Fine but for him to say Cal is 60/40 thinking Bolden is going to Duke is silly if he in fact has no clue is a bit much.

Reactions: ukmelanie
Regardless of the Cal presser, I've thought for a long time he'll end up at Duke. Hope I'm wrong, but you rarely overcome a mother this involved.

I think Cal's saying, listen kid, we really want you. But, if you're such a pu$$y that you're going to let your mom tell you what's best for you, when you CLEARLY know what is best for you, then maybe this isn't the place for you to play.

Then we sign Jarrett Allen, I know, we're out of the picture, but why hasn't he committed someplace yet?

If Duke was really such a huge favorite with he and his mom then what is stopping him?Their roster is already decided.I have zero inside info but the only thing that makes sense to me is that he is making sure Marcus is really gone and will commit to UK.

Reactions: shiloh741
I think Cal's saying, listen kid, we really want you. But, if you're such a pu$$y that you're going to let your mom tell you what's best for you, when you CLEARLY know what is best for you, then maybe this isn't the place for you to play.

Then we sign Jarrett Allen, I know, we're out of the picture, but why hasn't he committed someplace yet?

Reactions: jrpross
So what's the hold up?

No idea, but logic and reason don't always apply to these decisions.

Maybe he is waiting on Marcus Lee, I won't pretend to know for sure, but when you have nearly everybody in your inner circle pulling you in one direction, that's hard for a teenager to overcome.

For the record, I certainly won't be shocked or anything if UK is the pick.

Reactions: JerseyCat84
Is Bolden so torn of where to attend school that he has told Cal, I may not even decided until just before the 1st day of classes at a school.
The "walk on our campus in September, I’m fine with that. I don’t really care." comment made me wonder, Why would Cal say that? The question Cal was asked is vague.

From the recent Cal off season presser:
"On adding another big man and recruiting …
“That’s not what I said. We don’t try to bully, intimidate or overwhelm people with calls. We’re not trying to bring all of our recruits together on a conference text. We don’t do that. If a kid wants to come and walk on our campus in September, I’m fine with that. I don’t really care. The reason is you have to be sure that this is what you want or you can’t come here. This isn’t for funnsies here. My thing is whatever happens is whatever happens and however this stuff plays out for anybody is about the extent of what I can say.”

Maybe to much thinking on my part, but it was an unusual comment.

Last edited:
Matt Jones is a bag of hot air. As for Bolden, it looks to me like he wants UK and is just waiting for the schollie to be available.
Cal is a master of communicating and knowing exactly what to say.

Never understood all the butthurt over Jones around here. The guy runs a fan website devoted strictly to what we do here. Whether or not you agree with everything he says is irrelevant, it's awesome to have a website like KSR for us fans. I think it's amazing and I appreciate it myself.

Last edited:
If the kid wants Duke, what would be stopping him from going to Duke? Everything at Duke is decided and their roster is set. Nothing will change about that in the next week or so. Whynot just go ahead and give Duke your verbal? The kid has to be waiting to see what Lee decides and if that's true, the kid is coming to Kentucky. With Giles and Jefferson at Duke, the starting center spot is not up for grabs imo. I know most will say Giles is not a center. We all know Giles will play some minutes at center. Some Duke fans have said that Jefferson is cool with letting Bolden have the starting center spot and he is fine with coming off the bench. I call bs on that. Jefferson knows he is a talented big and he's not giving up anything for a freshman big, no matter how talented that big is. I wish this recruitment could be over and the kid decides offically where he wants to play next season. I say it's Kentucky. It's the only thing that makes sense at this point. The sad part is, in recruiting, nothing ever makes sense.

Yup, UK is the only school that has a strong family bond. Duke is about nothing but K and he has no relationships with his former players. That's why they have the K academy every year where tons of former players come back to take part and reminisce about old times. Posts like this are ridiculous. Even 2 of the 13 active four star generals in Army are former players of K's and talk about his role in their life to this very day and that was in the 70's. Take off the shades, dude...
Who cares about Dukes gay alumni parties? If they want to come back and be fondled and kissed by Mike Shitchefski that's their business,but all the espn ass kissing and fake,pretend front put on by UNC junior doesn't make players more successful in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT