ADVERTISEMENT

Cal weighs in on the roster…

Full statement from Cal below...

I woke up this morning thinking about our team now that the NBA deadline has passed. We support all of our players as they weigh their options and pursue their dreams and it’s my job to make sure these kids are making informed decisions. It may not be what you think or I think - but it’s informed. But that also makes it hard to move until you really know what your roster is going to be. We’ve prepared for all scenarios and now we can move forward.

There’s so much misinformation out there and most of it we can’t address publicly. Numbers being thrown around just aren’t accurate, who we are in contact with or who we are not in contact with, we don’t make it public.

We want players who want this culture, who care about winning, understand what it means to play at Kentucky - both how hard and how rewarding it is - and have the ultimate drive to win and succeed on the biggest stage, which helps everyone. We have a talented group right now which isn’t finished yet, but when it’s done we will have a talented team who will chase the ultimate goal together and make #BBN proud.

That statement, and the one he made in regards to Oscar.. kind of tell me he was not really in support of Oscar's decision.. at least not in the way he used to write about guys like Wall or Fox or the rest.

Oscar had a great opportunity to return and break more records and set the national bar for NIL again, but he is ready to fully chase his dreams and he has our support.

But either way, it sounds like Cal might not be cut out for this era of college ball. The players hold all the power now.

Last edited:
I am eager for UK to return to basketball dominance, with or without Cal, but I actually like parts of that statement. Cal would be doing himself a big favor to communicate more frankly with the fan base, even when it means saying there are things happening that can’t be discussed publicly.

I disagree though that the team can’t move until it knows what the roster is gonna be. If NIL and the portal are gonna continue to work this way, it will be essential to put contingency plans in place. Multiple layers.

But the bottom line is that the Portal talent is pretty bare now. Cal is going to be left with getting a few role players to back up his freshmen class. In the end UK will be trying to compete with 18/19 yr olds against 22/23 year olds that have tons of college experience.

That statement, and the one he made in regards to Oscar.. kind of tell me he was not really in support of Oscar's decision.. at least not in the way he used to write about guys like Wall or Fox or the rest.

Oscar had a great opportunity to return and break more records and set the national bar for NIL again, but he is ready to fully chase his dreams and he has our support.

But either way, it sounds like Cal might not be cut out for this era of college ball. The players hold all the power now.
I read it more towards Livingston than Oscar. Oscar pretty much is what he is, the decision was to try and make a name for himself professionally now, or try to cash in on NIL now. But Livingston really had no business turning pro yet.

Reactions: bookerfan66
I read it more towards Livingston than Oscar. Oscar pretty much is what he is, the decision was to try and make a name for himself professionally now, or try to cash in on NIL now. But Livingston really had no business turning pro yet.

It could be.. Although that part I quoted was specifically for Oscar.

His schtick about "the culture" and wanting kids who just want to win has always flown in the face of everything he's built his UK legacy on - getting to the NBA as quickly as possible and creating and encouraging an environment that emphasised draft stock over everything else.

Don't blame kids not wanting to win or not wanting to be part of the UK culture when its the exact culture you built for the last 15 years.

Not fully protecting Cal here, because while the landscape of college basketball has changed, the culture of getting to the pros quickly (even if you aren't a projected draft pick) is the culture that he built. It worked for years in getting top talent, but obviously what HAS worked isn't working now. But man, how tough are these waters to traverse? I think there's a reason we see Musselman reach out to everyone under the sun... because no one knows what these players and their family/handlers are going to decide, even if it's ultimately the wrong decision. Unfortunately, it takes time to shift and change your reputation, and you're right... it might be too late in the game for Cal to make the right pivots moving forward. However, I do still think we can add a couple of helpful players and we could be in the mix this coming season. We saw Texas Tech make it to the title game with a team full of transfers and guys that hadn't played long together. Obviously, success is still attainable, but as always the margin of error is razor thin.

But that also makes it hard to move until you really know what your roster is going to be. We’ve prepared for all scenarios and now we can move forward.

It's way too late to make this part of his comment. By waiting on kids to "pursue their dreams"....the portal window has seen a ton of talent already go to other teams. Oscar is a unique situation but the Reeves/Livingston....it was 1000% percent clear they had zero NBA skills and if they wanted to sniff it....then move on to a bevy of other players. Just pure incompetence to be in this situation.

So much misinformation out there......Sure, Cal.

Does that mean you're more into Westerns than Little House on the Prairie?

Get busy, you fat f*ck.

lazy-seinfeld.gif

Last edited:
But that also makes it hard to move until you really know what your roster is going to be. We’ve prepared for all scenarios and now we can move forward.

It's way too late to make this part of his comment. By waiting on kids to "pursue their dreams"....the portal window has seen a ton of talent already go to other teams. Oscar is a unique situation but the Reeves/Livingston....it was 1000% percent clear they had zero NBA skills and if they wanted to sniff it....then move on to a bevy of other players. Just pure incompetence to be in this situation.
It's a tough spot, since the players have all the power now. If we brought in guys immediately and then Oscar/Reeves/Livingston all returned and xfered, people would want Cal's head over that too. Especially if they went on to have AA level seasons at a rival or elsewhere.

Reactions: 1war and UKrazycat2
It's a tough spot, since the players have all the power now. If we brought in guys immediately and then Oscar/Reeves/Livingston all returned and xfered, people would want Cal's head over that too. Especially if they went on to have AA level seasons at a rival or elsewhere.
No I would have been excited to have a good team.Chris was always leaving so no excuse for Cal not to have added to this roster.

Fair point.....
- Oscar is a hard call as he has proven skill sets
- Livingston and Reeves....I think most fans would understand why UK was not going to wait on those guys to make a decision. Heck, I'd argue there were ton of kids better than them that were in the portal. 6'6 wing players are all over the portal that can shoot a bit.

Fair point.....
- Oscar is a hard call as he has proven skill sets
- Livingston and Reeves....I think most fans would understand why UK was not going to wait on those guys to make a decision. Heck, I'd argue there were ton of kids better than them that were in the portal. 6'6 wing players are all over the portal that can shoot a bit.
They aren't left in the portal anymore.

Ok then get off your ass and fill the damn roster you idiot.A complete joke of a Coach.Its a shame he is the head coach of the University of Kentucky Men's basketball program,a damn shame.
When you end a sentence and start a new one you should put a space between the period and new sentence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT