ADVERTISEMENT

Cal this is not Princeton

I am very tired of the three man weave at the top of the key for about 20 seconds. It just goes on and on and rarely produces a good shot. I see very little screening going on in our half court and we never seem to run anything to open up things for our best shooter, Allen. Other than that our half court offense is great.

Cal is focused on winning the last 4 minutes of the game, and hopes to slow the game down, muck it up, grind it out by fouling and grabbing just to keep the game close enough to have a shot at winning in the last four minutes.

What a disgrace to UK basketball.

Cal even said it last night - we play better when we play fast. We started the second half doing just that, and got back into the game quickly. Then, back to weave and pass. Cal said it was because we couldn’t hit shots. Bullshit Cal, it was because it’s what you do. Just own it.

By the way / Dykes even said the exact same - he noticed it, commented on it, and then said we didn’t have the ability to run half court, so our best offense is speeding up and getting shots up quickly.

I am very tired of the three man weave at the top of the key for about 20 seconds. It just goes on and on and rarely produces a good shot. I see very little screening going on in our half court and we never seem to run anything to open up things for our best shooter, Allen. Other than that our half court offense is great.
Cal thinks he's coaching the Harlem Globetrotters with that 3 man weave.
Curly Halman ain't walking through that door!

Reactions: ORCAT
We play soooooooo much better with frantic up-tempo. And the truth is, we wouldn't have MORE turnovers than we already have with the basket weave offense, so for the life of me, I don't understand why we don't just go up-tempo for 90% of the time. GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I don't understand why said pre or post game that they wanted to revamp the offense by playing through the post. Seems a bit bizarre at this juncture.

If we get a rebound and it’s going to be a 1 on 4 or 2 on 5 fast break Cal screams “RUUUUUNNNNN!!!”

If we get a rebound and the defense is asleep he wants to slow it down. Baffling.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. If the Kansas Natty title game was 3 minutes longer, Cal loses that game with his slowdown bullchit.

I wonder how much practice time we spend getting the three players to run that weave ? And there is no screening . None .

I’d actually kill for some screening and cutting like Princeton.

Every shot we ever take is with a hand in our face. How nice would it be to get a few easy buckets per game?

Reactions: NavyCat88
This is why, most of our guards get drafted low, because he takes their strengths a away, but they still get drafted based on potential, and they usually turn out all star material

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
This is why, most of our guards get drafted low, because he takes their strengths a away, but they still get drafted based on potential, and they usually turn out all star material
I don’t think he took away the strengths of SGA, Herro, Murray, Ulis, Hagans, etc.

Reactions: kb22stang
I’d actually kill for some screening and cutting like Princeton.

Every shot we ever take is with a hand in our face. How nice would it be to get a few easy buckets per game?

I agree. I really don't care if we run the Princeton, the triangle, run & gun, 94 feet of hell, the hidden ball trick, the swinging gate, or Mr. Taggert's Ol' #6 on em.....
....as long as we recruit, develop, train, practice and game-plan for an offense & defense scheme that offers more than just dribble, isolate, beat your own man and hope for a kind whistle from the ref!

Some of theses offenses are so complex, they require years to learn and intention of retention of your players. Bottom line: UKHC doesn't have a prayer in this world of teaching the complexities of the Princeton offense to a half dozen 8-month wonders from the OAD pipeline each year......but heaven knows we need more complexity and precision than we're putting on the court now.

GBB!

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
That is an insult to Princeton, Princeton actually runs a half court offense, Cal teams just dribble dribble dribble and throw up a shot.

I continue to ask the John “white savior” Calipari defenders to explain and specify the offense he runs not only this season but previous seasons and they never reply back. Ever.

Reactions: jwphelps
I continue to ask the John “white savior” Calipari defenders to explain and specify the offense he runs not only this season but previous seasons and they never reply back. Ever.
Let's just be honest, black players don't grow up playing that type of basketball, it's just too slow, they want to get out and run, play uptempo, press etc.... the offense we run is old adult league....

Reactions: weysha
The sports show host from Owensboro nailed it Thursday night, Cal runs a crappy antiquated offense but past teams where good enough to score in spite of that offense, but this team is only average and cannot overcome this crappy offense.

Let's just be honest, black players don't grow up playing that type of basketball, it's just too slow, they want to get out and run, play uptempo, press etc.... the offense we run is old adult league....

Other teams with black players run a cohesive offense. That’s what Cal and the coaching staff are supposed to do imo.

Out of those, Ulis was the only one who peaked to his potential while at UK, SGA, Herro and Murray trending high now, jury still out on Hagans
That still doesn’t mean Cal held any of them back, it just means they continue to grow in the pros. I think the two most obvious examples of holding someone back are Booker and KAT.

The season is in the crapper. It can’t get worse so I say run and gun. At least it will be fun to watch while we lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: dckala2
Out of those, Ulis was the only one who peaked to his potential while at UK, SGA, Herro and Murray trending high now, jury still out on Hagans

lmao...good lord you people don't know much basketball. You dont understsand why they peak in the pros? They're not here but one year. It's really not hard to understand. And I'm not even a huge Cal fan, but I'm honest.

Other teams with black players run a cohesive offense. That’s what Cal and the coaching staff are supposed to do imo.

It has nothing to do with race, but for some on the board its become the main focal point. Cal's offense has always sucked, even in good year.

Play some type trapping full court press, yes your going to give up some easy baskets, but stick with it long enough to see if it will work. Run some sort of offense that actual gets us some open looks. Shoot the ball earlier in the shot clock before turning it over. Mix in some zone defense. Of course we will have to find someone on the staff that actually knows how to coach a zone defense, you have seen our zone, its terrible. Lets try something different, we are 5-11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT