ADVERTISEMENT

Cal squanderd all that talent and now Reeds 1 year at UK

Booker, Randle, SGA, Davis, Towns, Wall, Cousins... Players who were/are the very elite of the highest level...

And we had TWO memorable seasons... A 2012 title and a 2014 embarrassment.

And then a bunch of disappointment that hopefully I'll forget about in 10-20 years.

Dillingham, Sheppard & Reeves were good this year. The rest were very average at best
The advanced metrics prove this 100%. And in reality it was Dillingham, Sheppard, and Reeves on offense were great. Reeves was statistically one of the worst defensive players in the SEC. Dillingham and Sheppard were our only two players in the top 100 of combined offensive and defensive efficiency. The next highest was Edwards at like 146 or something.

Booker, Randle, SGA, Davis, Towns, Wall, Cousins... Players who were/are the very elite of the highest level...

And we had TWO memorable seasons... A 2012 title and a 2014 embarrassment.

And then a bunch of disappointment that hopefully I'll forget about in 10-20 years.
2011 went nearly as far as 2014 and 2015 was pretty memorable. We just only had one year when Cal closed the deal at the highest level, thanks to Lebron James’s personally hand-picked on-court successor and an NBA lockout.

Last edited:
Will some ever let last year go and what went with it Jesus move on you can't bring it back useless jibberish

Cal aside...Dilly and Reed are the reason UK lost to Oakland. They shot a combined 3-14 from the field, missed wide open shot after wide open shot, had careless TOs, and couldn't handle the moment.

My goodness, Reed threw two passes into the seats. Had no idea what he was doing, in the slightest. Just awful performances.

While they will both be drafted in the lottery and should most definitely leave, the lasting memory for me will be how horrendous they both performed on the biggest stage in March.

2010 went nearly as far as 2014 and 2015 was pretty memorable. We just only had one year when Cal closed the deal at the highest level, thanks to Lebron James’s personally hand-picked on-court successor and an NBA lockout.

2011 went to the final four.

2014 went to the title game.

I assume 38 wins and a final four is the embarrassment.

2017 and 2019 had very good seasons and made elite 8.

The marine must only think national title winning seasons are memorable.

I guess 2005, 2004, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1984, etc, on back were embarrassing seasons too.

• Haha
Reactions: mailman85
Cal aside...Dilly and Reed are the reason UK lost to Oakland. They shot a combined 3-14 from the field, missed wide open shot after wide open shot, had careless TOs, and couldn't handle the moment.

My goodness, Reed threw two passes into the seats. Had no idea what he was doing, in the slightest. Just awful performances.

While they will both be drafted in the lottery and should most definitely leave, the lasting memory for me will be how horrendous they both performed on the biggest stage in March.
They certainly didn’t help but can’t say they were the reason for the loss. Wagner/Edwards were 1-8 from 3 and a combined 4-14 overall. Edwards missed a wide open dunk at the rim which was a huge momentum swing. Ugo logged 23 minutes, more than Z and Bradshaw combined. Bradshaw started the 2nd half for some inexplicable reason. Cal #1 reason we lost that game, no reason reaching beyond that.

Reactions: KFuqua
Another thing.

IF Cal was still at UK, would we get a 2nd year of Big Z? Would we get another year of DJ Wagner? Or, would the "Kentucky effect" have driven those guys out too?

Reactions: BlueSince92
Thanks Cal! Not only did you decimate our program on your way out, you took our favorite son and wasted him along with 2 other stellar guards. I will always look fondly telling my grandkids how awesome it was to watch Reed play but the team lost 10 games and won nothing of substance.

It's sad that Reed declared. We all knew that it was likely, but I held out hope that Kentucky meant something to him and that he would come back. So now, I'm disappointed and he'll be known as just another one and done in the old coaches string of mercenaries.
It’s done now.

I want Wagner to take us off his list, I want Burks to transfer out, and I hope Adou is not considering a return.

I want a complete break from Cal and his venomous 1AD culture.

What does Reeds decision have to do with failure.?
15 yrs

Million #1 classes
Million 1 and done NBA draft picks

1 banner

Close the books on the Cal era, it was a failure

At least Pitino & Tubby & Joe B developed guys to watch grow for years and learn to love them & they love UK. Not a pack of mercenaries loyal to Klutch & the name on the back of the jersey.

Cal surpasses Dean as the biggest waster of talent ever.
I see what you're saying in a big picture way, but Reed Shepherd was probably going to go pro win, lose ,or draw.
I just don't see his decision being connected to Cal's failure.
Overall talent was misused and squandered , yes. But anyone projected as a 1st rounder leaving, no.
To your point about Cal and Dean Smith, neither had overall success with the talent pool they used.
Smith won 2 titles, Cal 1.
I believe Pitino could have won multiple titles with their talent.

15 yrs

Million #1 classes
Million 1 and done NBA draft picks

1 banner

Close the books on the Cal era, it was a failure

At least Pitino & Tubby & Joe B developed guys to watch grow for years and learn to love them & they love UK. Not a pack of mercenaries loyal to Klutch & the name on the back of the jersey.
Point taken. Did he fail? Yes.
But Sheppard's decision has nothing to do with it.
We will agree to disagree.

It's sad that Reed declared. We all knew that it was likely, but I held out hope that Kentucky meant something to him and that he would come back. So now, I'm disappointed and he'll be known as just another one and done in the old coaches string of mercenaries.
There were a few reasons i thought he might come back -- getting big bucks to stay from NIL , getting rid of both going out so badly not only on a team level , but on a individual level .. man he was awful in his lone NCAAT game , and overall the season was disappointing . As it is , he goes out a " freshman of the year" or something to that effect . I was hoping he would run it back with Z . But money rules . I dont know that I could turn down 12-15 mil , but I've never had 2-3 mil in my pocket either . Wish him the best but I doubt I'll ever see him play another game .

Reactions: KFuqua
Just because he decided to declare doesn't mean that UK doesn't mean something to him. It took him a while to decide on whether to be a top 10 draft pick or return to UK. I think that shows that he sincerely cares about the program.

It's just part of the overall failure. You're not really arguing that two top 10 picks should lose to Oakland?
No. Just that Sh
ep has the right to declare regardless.
To your point about the loss.
There is no excuse. I mean in that regard I SMH a thousand times over.
It was almost as if no one cared.
I am totally on board with the overall picture.
If Shep was my grandson I'd tell him the decision had to be his.
As a side note: I see where we missed on a couple of portal hooefuld.

No. Just that Shep has the right to declare regardless.
There is no excuse. I mean in that regard I SMH a thousand times over.
It was almost as if no one cared.
I am totally on board with the overall picture.
If Shep was my grandson I'd tell him the decision had to be his.
As a side note: I see where we missed on a couple of portal hooefuld.
Not complaining about Reed.

Complaining about Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT