ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Needs To Tell Livingston, Ugo and All The Other Fence Sitters We Need Answers Quickly On Who’s Coming Back

One thing Rick Pitino did that I really like but it's a little bit different but kind of the same. I remember when Anthony Epps committed to Kentucky and then a little while afterward, said he might Visit Louisville. Well Pitino said if he visited Louisville he didn't have a scholarship to Kentucky, and that was it. There was no more talk about it. he didn't let players string him along like Cal does. The players didn't run the program while he was here, he did.

Livingston is gone.

Cal needs another big with or without Onyenso coming back. He better be going after Kel’el Ware and telling Onyenso he can come back and split time with Ware or move on. Ware is an upgrade on Onyenso, IMHO. He was ranked higher out of HS and had much better stats in their first year.

One thing Rick Pitino did that I really like but it's a little bit different but kind of the same. I remember when Anthony Epps committed to Kentucky and then a little while afterward, said he might Visit Louisville. Well Pitino said if he visited Louisville he didn't have a scholarship to Kentucky, and that was it. There was no more talk about it. he didn't let players string him along like Cal does. The players didn't run the program while he was here, he did.

Pretty easy thing to tell an Anthony Epps.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Livingston is gone.

Cal needs another big with or without Onyenso coming back. He better be going after Kel’el Ware and telling Onyenso he can come back and split time with Ware or move on. Ware is an upgrade on Onyenso, IMHO. He was ranked higher out of HS and had much better stats in their first year.
He did not have much better stats than Onyenso. He just played more, but was less productive. Ware was actually a bad rebounder for a center. Onyenso trailed Oscar by 0.7 reb per30min, and more than 50% more than Ware.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
He did not have much better stats than Onyenso. He just played more, but was less productive. Ware was actually a bad rebounder for a center. Onyenso trailed Oscar by 0.7 reb per30min, and more than 50% more than Ware.
Good post, but I respectfully disagree.

Ware was averaging 10ppg before Altman cut his minutes. Did Onyenso score 10 points for the season?

I guess there are walk ons out there who played 30 seconds, grabbed a rebound and hit a shot whose per30 looks pretty good.

I usually (and there are exceptions) consider a player who plays more minutes to be the better prospect.

Based on what we actually saw on the basketball court, give me Ware.

But you make good points, I just don’t put as much stock in per30 and per40 stats as others do.

Reactions: STL_Cat

Ware was averaging 10ppg before Altman cut his minutes. Did Onyenso score 10 points for the season?

I guess there are walk ons out there who played 30 seconds, grabbed a rebound and hit a shot whose per30 looks pretty good.

I usually (and there are exceptions) consider a player who plays more minutes to be the better prospect.

But you make good points, I just don’t put as much stock in per30 and per40 stats as others do.
Per40 stats mean next to nothing for a guy like Ugonna who barely played a meaningful minute all year. And I like Ugonna.

I did not see K.Ware play, so I cannot speak to that. Maybe he passes the 'eye test' better, IDK.

But I am probably best suited on this entire message board to interpret statistics.
Onyenso scored 40 points on the season, not a lot, but not "10".

I think per30min stats are more useful than per game stats, to take into account PT disparity. And then stats like shooting %'s are irrespective of PT. But another factor overall season totals (nor per30min stats) don't consider is the quality of the opponent (SEC > PAC12 >> mid-majors). And yes, over 70% of Onyenso's minutes came vs mid-majors.

per30min stats & shooting %
Onyenso 10.9 pt, 11.5 reb, 4.4 blk, 52.9% FG, 57.1% FT
K.Ware 12.6 pt, 7.7 reb, 2.4 blk, 45.7 FG%, 27.3% 3FG, 53.4% 2FG, 71.2 FT

(Onyenso only attempted 7 FTs, but I liked his form & with more shots I think that goes up near 70%)
So K.Ware may be a slightly better (& diverse) scorer, but Onyenso the much better rebounder, and better blocking shots. To me, K.Ware seems like another Collins, which is ok if we lose Collins to replace with K.Ware.

I'm guessing here, but guessing that Onyenso may be the better defender within 10' of the rim, but K.Ware the better defender away from the basket.

I did not see K.Ware play, so I cannot speak to that. Maybe he passes the 'eye test' better, IDK.

But I am probably best suited on this entire message board to interpret statistics.
Onyenso scored 40 points on the season, not a lot, but not "10".

I think per30min stats are more useful than per game stats, to take into account PT disparity. And then stats like shooting %'s are irrespective of PT. But another factor overall season totals (nor per30min stats) don't consider is the quality of the opponent (SEC > PAC12 >> mid-majors). And yes, over 70% of Onyenso's minutes came vs mid-majors.

per30min stats & shooting %
Onyenso 10.9 pt, 11.5 reb, 4.4 blk, 52.9% FG, 57.1% FT
K.Ware 12.6 pt, 7.7 reb, 2.4 blk, 45.7 FG%, 27.3% 3FG, 53.4% 2FG, 71.2 FT

(Onyenso only attempted 7 FTs, but I liked his form & with more shots I think that goes up near 70%)
So K.Ware may be a slightly better (& diverse) scorer, but Onyenso the much better rebounder, and better blocking shots. To me, K.Ware seems like another Collins, which is ok if we lose Collins to replace with K.Ware.

I'm guessing here, but guessing that Onyenso may be the better defender within 10' of the rim, but K.Ware the better defender away from the basket.
Excellent post.

Concerning Kel’el Ware and Onyenso, the best thing for us that could happen is we get Ware and Onyenso comes back and they split minutes at the 5. Let them compete for the minutes.

But if we pass on Ware and Onyenso leaves, we are scrambling to find a good fit at the 5.

If we take Ware and Onyenso leaves, we still have a good option at the 5.

So, my vote (TIFWIW) is to secure a 5 man (Ware or someone else) and let Onyenso decide whether he wants to compete for minutes or go elsewhere. Either way, we are covered.

Reactions: crestcat
Concerning Kel’el Ware and Onyenso, the best thing for us that could happen is we get Ware and Onyenso comes back and they split minutes at the 5. Let them compete for the minutes.

But if we pass on Ware and Onyenso leaves, we are scrambling to find a good fit at the 5.

If we take Ware and Onyenso leaves, we still have a good option at the 5.

So, my vote (TIFWIW) is to secure a 5 man (Ware or someone else) and let Onyenso decide whether he wants to compete for minutes or go elsewhere. Either way, we are covered.
Agree that you can't wait. And if you are Cal you should tell the players, unless you have told me you are returning I have to assume that you are not and start finding portal "dudes" so that we are not scrambling last minute for portal "left-overs". Now we all know, Cal doesn't have the balls to say that to a player. But hopefully he knows more than has been let out, and is taking action where needed.

It's frustrating as a fan not knowing. But I also get that I/we don't need to know, we just badly want to know.

“I have not done much in the portal this year. I know our name is out there, but I’m still trying to figure out what my team looks like,” Calipari said. 🤬

Not definitive enough.

Agree that you can't wait. And if you are Cal you should tell the players, unless you have told me you are returning I have to assume that you are not and start finding portal "dudes" so that we are not scrambling last minute for portal "left-overs". Now we all know, Cal doesn't have the balls to say that to a player. But hopefully he knows more than has been let out, and is taking action where needed.

It's frustrating as a fan not knowing. But I also get that I/we don't need to know, we just badly want to know.
There has been a huge lack of communication between Cal and the players for many years now, or at least it certainly seems like it.

There's also way too much outside influence and that is a product of this players-first garbage.

Once a kid walks over the threshold and into the UK program, that should be it from the peanut galleries surrounding these kids, but it never will be, because you have to kiss these players asses to get them to come to your school. But Cal keeps playing the game while the program reputation and record books take on the beatings.

Reactions: crestcat and catben
“I have not done much in the portal this year. I know our name is out there, but I’m still trying to figure out what my team looks like,” Calipari said. 🤬

Not definitive enough.
That does not create a calming effect on this fan's thoughts/emotions.
Let's just hope it is somewhat Cal being his sarcastic self.

The offseason tradition of fans denigrating each other excessively because nothing much happening to talk about is SO TIRESOME. Kentucky has the best and biggest fan base in the country. One only has to go to any away game or tournament we are playing in to see it. Yes , any fan base as large as ours is bound to have a few horse asses. That said the people constantly pointing it out and AMPLIFYING it are just as big butholes as the people they constantly criticize The problem right now is not fans good or bad, it iswe AREN'T WINNING ENOUGH BASKETBALL GAMES, until that improves the Civil war will continue

Not definitive enough.
This just tells me that Cal is STILL in negotiations with Ugo, Livingston, Collins and even Oscar(which is surprising). Those kids and their ENTOURAGE, will have to be sold on Cal ACTUALLY assuring them that each of these kids will get the PT and role they desire for next season.

All of these “Handlers” are starting to catch on to Cal’s BULLCRAP and it’s going to hurt our Portal opportunities with some of these players.

In regards to Ugo… I did not watch Kel’el Ware all season so I can’t comment on if he’s better. All I will say is that, given what we saw out of Ugo in his very limited minutes, he deserved more playing time than he got. And I could say the same for at least one player on any of Cal’s last 4 teams. People always say “he couldn’t play Juzang because it would have taken minutes from Maxey and Quickley!” Umm, no. Juzang SHOULD have taken Hagans’ minutes, and moved Maxey over to PG. That three guard lineup would have been deadly.

I really just want Ugo, Thiero, Reeves..

Not really going to miss Wheeler or Toppin (although I liked what Toppin was doing at the end of the season).. Cason was for sure gone, but I'm also not very impressed tbh.. Oscar would be nice to have back, but he has limitations and there seems to be some chemistry issues with him.. Damion and Livingston? Meh. Would be nice to have them, but unsure of their roles. CJ is always injured.

Nobody is getting worked up but you. The op is just asking to have a discussion. Are we only allowed to talk about the things you want to talk about?

Nobody tagged you and demanded that you come into this thread.

What you did was you saw the thread title and already had your mind made up to come in and blast the OP, so it is you that needs to relax and go visit a thread that suits your opinions.

I'm sure there's a Rah Rah thread somewhere around here where you can go express your opinions about how great Cal is.
It's ok for fans to act like entitled douchebags, but it's the players who are soft and just looking for their participation trophies in woke society.

I think I nailed everything for you morons.

The Dominos are falling quickly. Caleb Love already committed to Puke and others will be doing the same. UK doesn’t have time for Livingston, Ugo and other fence sitters to not inform UK of their plans quickly while some of the top Portal players commit to other schools quickly. If Livingston try’s to see what his draft status might be that could take 6-8 weeks.

Cal needs to no longer have these players and their piece of crap handlers continue to hold the UK program hostage. Tell them we need answers quickly and to shit or get off the pot. UK is bigger than any one player and it’s time Cal let these handlers know that. For Livingston and his people to think he is a first round draft pick as a 2 or a 3 position player is laughable. For Gosh sakes he was 3 of 17 from 3 his last 17 attempts and he has no handles as far as great dribbling skills. I say good riddance and bring someone in at his position who can actually score.
You told us how little you know about the game. Thanks for exposing yourself.

This. And uk already has a vastly superior player to take over the 3 spot.

Ugonna is more intriguing but shouldn't stop UK from recruiting other transfer centers IMO.
I have to wonder if him leaving wouldn't be addition by subtraction with the Michigan center in the transfer portal.

Then your uncle was hunting out of season. 😁
Wilson's Snipe Kentucky 2023: Sept. 21 - Oct. 30, 2022 and Nov. 24, 2022 - Jan. 29, 20238
licensed-image
There are two kinds of snipe hunting but I haven't heard anything about the one type since we had one one night in high school about seventy years ago. Probably a great idea, could have been dangerous, and would be today.

I have to wonder if him leaving wouldn't be addition by subtraction with the Michigan center in the transfer portal.
Ugo's camp knew he wasn't going to play and they're right, Ugo is 2 years away. Big guys take longer to develop and Ugo is a 4* for a reason.

I agree. Move on and start recruiting the best to fit our needs. Tell Livingston, Ugo, and Reeves to either commit to playing next year, or you’re recruiting over them. Players holding out to make a decision is bull shit. Go get the best 2, 4 & 5 in the portal and call it a day. This would send a message to these kids that UK doesn’t f…k around. We need to know now not 6 weeks from now.
Please let Cal know you are upset. He will take care of it for you.

And shortly thereafter Pitino himself committed to Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT