ADVERTISEMENT

Cal needs to recalibrate his thinking....

That last comment. 100% true ! Honest to God, that grind it out style reminds me of when I was younger and my friend and I would play Madden or NCAA Football on the PS2. Both of us knew how good we were and both of us would intentionally hold the ball on offense and not snap the ball until 1 or 2 on the play clock and play a grind it out, low scoring, chew clock type of game. I can't tell you how many times that cost me or him so I finally stopped doing it and started beating him on the regular..he never stopped. It also reminds me of my High School football Coach..he'd get a 10-14 point lead and try to sit on it and run and eat up clock and sometimes it worked but it also cost us a few times throughout my 3 years on Varsity. It's a play not to lose/pussy style of ball that helps get you beat or at least makes things a lot closer than they should be more times than not..no matter what sport it is.

I somewhat agree and I don't know why we don't use our allotted number of scholarships just in case of transfers and or injuries
Has to be hard recruiting and not knowing who will still be here come May/June. Recruits don't want to wait so commit to another team. By the time you know exactly who/what you need....they may be gone so you're left holding some schollies. But, I think you would maybe offer some 3 stars who could develop over the years and maybe explode by their Jr/Sr year.

Has to be hard recruiting and not knowing who will still be here come May/June. Recruits don't want to wait so commit to another team. By the time you know exactly who/what you need....they may be gone so you're left holding some schollies. But, I think you would maybe offer some 3 stars who could develop over the years and maybe explode by their Jr/Sr year.
I agree with having a few 3 stars to possibly grow into good experienced players

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Cal is stubborn to a fault, but he hasn't sniffed appeared in FF since 2015, so maybe he will change, but I really doubt it. His super team days are over in my opinion (2010, 2012, 2015).

Reactions: ManitouDan
No excuse not to have 10 bodies that can play. Grad transfers should never leave you short nowadays.

Have to get Elite Point Guard, that can drive and finish.

Needs to get away from the grind it out style, thoroughbreds need to run.

I agree with your points, but it ain’t happening, coaches lose their chip on their shoulder, it naturally happens as coaches reach the mountaintop of their profession, they are stubborn to a fault

Need to win recruiting battles for the top 5, have to get some of them. We’ve not been as big a threat since our recruiting misses the last 4 to 5 years.

We looked great in the Bahamas running up and down the court. We looked great in transition this year for the most part when we did it. Our first 7 points of the game today came in transition them SLAM in the brakes. I can understand not wanting to do it for the entire game but when you struggle in half court sets like we did all year long why do you not push tempo at least 50-60% of the game. Pick your spots and slow it down when needed. He recruits thoroughbreds and then expects them to be mules. Does it with every single team.

With Texas Tech, Virginia and Michigan State in the Final Four, I would say the grind it out style of basketball is actually working right now.

Yes they do. They also have multiple guys who can make shots including the guys running the offensive sets.

How about this?
Michigan St - 1 freshman starter
Auburn - 0 freshman in rotation
Texas Tech - 1 freshman in rotation
Virginia - 1 freshman starter

Zero one-and-dones in final four?
That’s been the trend lately with UNC, Nova and whoever wins this year.

We looked great in the Bahamas running up and down the court. We looked great in transition this year for the most part when we did it. Our first 7 points of the game today came in transition them SLAM in the brakes. I can understand not wanting to do it for the entire game but when you struggle in half court sets like we did all year long why do you not push tempo at least 50-60% of the game. Pick your spots and slow it down when needed. He recruits thoroughbreds and then expects them to be mules. Does it with every single team.

Yep . Another dose of truth on here . Get rebound . Hold it til Hagans can receive outlet pass , walk it up , pass around perimeter for 20 seconds . Maybe set a pick , maybe not . " Beat your Man " Go Go Go. Run Run Run .. LOL LOL LOL LOL

No excuse not to have 10 bodies that can play. Grad transfers should never leave you short nowadays.

Have to get Elite Point Guard, that can drive and finish.

Needs to get away from the grind it out style, thoroughbreds need to run.

I'm sure Cal is at this very minute adjusting his coaching style to your comments

I agree with having a few 3 stars to possibly grow into good experienced players
Problem is, in this system, those 3* players never play. There's a new batch of freshmen that are rated 10th through 30th. They're good enough to go pro after 1 year, but not good enough to win titles.

Rinse and repeat year after year.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music

That's easy to say now. Sometimes the transition chances aren't there. A more up and down game would have just been more in Auburn's favor. Just see what happened to NC on Friday night.

I had no problems with the game plan. We just missed some free throws, had some dumb turnovers, got caught in the lane with nowhere to go a few times, and had a scoring drought. All we needed was a stop after we took the lead with under a minute to go or if Keldon could have got that shot to go in towards the end of regulation, we'd all be singing a different tune.

Ed

Duke board istrashing K, fans throw their coaches under the bus with everybody. Not saying I disagree with the OP, but still.

That's easy to say now. Sometimes the transition chances aren't there. A more up and down game would have just been more in Auburn's favor. Just see what happened to NC on Friday night.

I had no problems with the game plan. We just missed some free throws, had some dumb turnovers, got caught in the lane with nowhere to go a few times, and had a scoring drought. All we needed was a stop after we took the lead with under a minute to go or if Keldon could have got that shot to go in towards the end of regulation, we'd all be singing a different tune.

Ed

Not saying it just for the Auburn game today but in general. Heck Cal had our 15 team playing grind it out style in the dance as well.

With Texas Tech, Virginia and Michigan State in the Final Four, I would say the grind it out style of basketball is actually working right now.

Difference is all those teams have guys who can fill it up from deep. Multiple guys shooting close to 40% from 3 or over. UK is stuck hoping that Herro is on in any particular game.

Do some of you realize the other team plays defense? They do you know. Almost every game they play defense. It affects how you play offense.

No it does. Really

You do realize the Bahamas was pretend? Playing like that against Duke didn’t work out do well for us.

Seems like our guards compared to teams we face in S16 and E8, for the most part, always are just a hair slow, not as quick and, as a group, don't shoot the 3 very well. Our OADs seemingly are all elite athletes but not fully developed as BASKETBALL players. Our true FR guards don't handle the ball as well as other teams' JRs and SRs. We're always short of pure shooters. In today's game, I think you need at least 2 shooters on the floor at all times and sometimes 3. We didn't have enough shooters today. As others have mentioned, too, we don't have guards and 3s who can create their own shot with consistency.

Cal's done remarkable things at UK but fans are still left with a feeling of 'if only'. Maybe get 1-3 OADs every year and then develop 3+* star kids to be key role players: defender, ball-handling/distributing point guard, spot up 3-point shooter, defender who can guard 1-4, etc. Plenty of minutes and situational PT to go around. Disagree about having 10 playing but perhaps having 3-5 guys who can fill a key role in exploiting matchups would be better than relying on 4+ TR FR every NCAA tourney to carry the team. Generally, they're not ready and haven't been through enough wars and developed their total skillset to the point where we need them to be.

You do realize the Bahamas was pretend? Playing like that against Duke didn’t work out do well for us.

We didn’t run up and down the court against Duke, we just got manhandled but it was the first game of the season. How well did we look to you today in our half court sets? The last 3 games really? Just happened to get lucky on the first 2.

The grind it out style isn’t that bad but it’s bad when you have a struggling PG like Hagans running it . That’s the bigger issue .

Hagans can’t shoot and wasn’t that good of a playmaker either

We weren’t a quick or real athletic team this year. Our guards were fairly slow. Keldon wasn’t the athlete I thought he was going to be either. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we were an unathletic team. I’m saying we weren’t super athletic like Cal’s system really demands. Really, the only player on the team that had great athleticism for his position was PJ. It’s no surprise he was our leading scorer and rebounder. Cal’s system has always required individual players to out athlete the opposition. We just haven’t had a lot of that the past 2-3 years.

Cal just didn't seem to have confidence in the team even though we were a two seed.
We were an eight in 14 and we went to to toe and threw haymakers with every team we faced(except the last one).
Maybe Cal thought he was playing with house money that year and just let em go but there was no grind it out try to steal one at the end approach.
That team had the toughest road possible and flat balled to the title game.
I just think we should have went into the Wofford game with the intentions of running them off the floor it's like Cal didn't think we could beat them if we tried to run.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
The grind it out style isn’t that bad but it’s bad when you have a struggling PG like Hagans running it . That’s the bigger issue .

Hagans can’t shoot and wasn’t that good of a playmaker either

Hagans has a nice looking stroke...the problem was his fear of shooting. Huge part of his turnover rate is because he would pass on open jumpers, hesitate, and was forced to either dribble or pass into traffic. PG's can't be passive. He didn't have to shoot, but he had to commit one way or the other. That is a mental lapse.

Grinding it out with veteran teams. Roster make up I do blame on Calipari, he should know what he has since he recruited them. I know he can’t force them to stay but he needs to do whatever it takes to talk them into staying .

Reactions: seccats04
I somewhat agree and I don't know why we don't use our allotted number of scholarships just in case of transfers and or injuries
Because he's not interested in developing those players. He's only interested in getting the 5 star guys ready for the NBA.

It's just crazy to think that no 3 star KY kids would not be willing to sit a few years to play.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Because he's not interested in developing those players. He's only interested in getting the 5 star guys ready for the NBA.

It's just crazy to think that no 3 star KY kids would not be willing to sit a few years to play.
People argue this shit on here non stop lol. They hang onto every word Cal says, but this. He wants to get kids to the NBA in one year. Don’t come to Kentucky if you don’t want to be a one and done. But still it’s argued. Why? He told us multiple times? But excuses are still made for him and his system. This place is nuts. Open your eyes and ears people, quit making excuses. This is the program Cal wants, he said so. I give up.

Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT