ADVERTISEMENT

Cal names 3 team leaders to deal with “non negotiable’s”

Well this confirms it, the inmates are running the asylum. Since when does a coach call on players to handle the "dirty work" of coaching. This is why Calipari is paid millions as a UK coach.

The head coach and assistants handle internal issues. Not a committee of their peers. This is a sad state of affairs for UK basketball and an all time low for a UK coach.
If they can self regulate, so much the better. It's part of growing up and Cal doesn't need to spend time putting up with brats.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I hope this works. A coach getting on a player and correcting is one thing, your teammate is another.
Your teammates calling you out sometimes has a greater effect. We'll soon find out.

Reactions: mc140 and EliteBlue
Wouldn't it be great if we had a respected senior these kids could turn to and be accountable to? Oh, what am I saying. Some poorly playing freshmen should be able to hold everyone accountable.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I could see Askew. For as bad as he may have played, he took his lumps in stride. And we'd all agree that he's maybe improved the most so far? That to me says "leader".

He does keep improving.I hope the kid sticks around because I think he will be really good.

Absolutely.

IDK why people here think he wont. IQ, Hagans, both stayed multiple years. Herro and SGA just blew up to the point that they really had no business coming back. But they were designed to be multi-year players. FWIW SGA was a 4th round fantasy pick, and Herro was just outside of fantasy drafts. We can moan all we want, but those two were studs, and likely top10 recruiting class players if they had to re do it.

I keep hearing that we no longer get the John Wall's and the Demarcus Cousin's, sure.. but why expect every player to leave after one year like those first 5 years, when we had Hagans, IQ, EJ and Nick on last year's team? Lower talent will continue to return.

I think a lot of you are miss reading this. I think the non-negotiables are those that are reverting to hero mode. They can’t seem to pull away from their belief that only they can save the team. The Harrison’s struggled with this. There is a big change in mindset needed. You have to go from “I’m gonna beat your ass” to “me and these other guys are gonna beat your ass”.

I think a lot of you are miss reading this. I think the non-negotiables are those that are reverting to hero mode. They can’t seem to pull away from their belief that only they can save the team. The Harrison’s struggled with this. There is a big change in mindset needed. You have to go from “I’m gonna beat your ass” to “me and these other guys are gonna beat your ass”.
I agree, from cals pre game press it sounds like he’s talking about players that don’t want to follow the game plan.

One thing I would like for Calipari to end and do it now is Pro Day. Auditioning before pro scouts before you even have a starting lineup is stupid. Pro Day does nothing to help Kentucky be a better basketball team.
Thank you. I've been saying the same thing about having Pro Day on a College Campus before a College Season. This is part of the problem and culture that has changed us from being a BASKETBALL PROGRAM to being a PRO TRAINING CAMP! Give us back our BASKETBALL PROGRAM. We'd love to keep you Cal if you want to run a BASKETBALL PROGRAM, if not I think we can find a Coach that will!!

Boy, I wish I could delegate duties within my job description to college kids to get them “off my plate”:

“I just told them, I’m going to have fun with this,” Calipari said this morning. “I’m going to enjoy myself. We named three guys to be leaders to do away with all the non-negotiables, attitudes, how you accept coaching. I’m not dealing with any of that. The players are going to deal. So that’s off my plate. Trying to get them to be more in control of how we’re playing offensively and less of it me.”

But I suppose we don’t want to overburden the $10 million man.

I agree, from cals pre game press it sounds like he’s talking about players that don’t want to follow the game plan.
I'm waiting to see when Boston will start following a game plan. So far, all I've seen from him is me-first and AAU ball.

I wonder what Allen and Fletcher are thinking as they're watching Boston jack threes at 20% accuracy while they're picking splinters out of their rectums.

Last edited:
Hope you are right. He needs to change how he builds his rosters every year.

Nothing wrong with getting OAD talent, but you need some guys willing to work and learn for 3-4 years in order to build continuity.

Hopefully Cal keeps that in mind and starts building for the long term future instead of just trying to put together a team one year at a time.
He’s got to give the 3-4 year guys a chance to play. He can’t just keep them on the bench while the 5 stars get to miss shots and make mistakes.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I'm waiting to see when Boston will start following a game plan. So far, all I've seen from him is me-first and AAU ball out of him.

I wonder what Allen and Fletcher are thinking as they're watching Boston jack threes at 20% accuracy while they're picking splinters out of their rectums.
Yeah, same.

Reactions: blubo
I hope this works. A coach getting on a player and correcting is one thing, your teammate is another.
Your teammates calling you out sometimes has a greater effect. We'll soon find out.
In this situation, I don't like it. You have guys that haven't been in the program but 5 minutes that will be in charge.

That's like having a recently adopted 8 year old in charge of your 7 year old, while you play Angry birds on your phone.

You know what this is going to do? It's going to divide the team even more than it already is. It's going to cause resentment and turmoil. This is a bad idea.

One of the first guys that comes to mind when you're listing off the list of players that needs a "non negotiable" talking to, is BJ Boston.

Keep in mind, this kid is a projected lottery pick. he has a status and he knows his future is set. What he does at UK doesn't matter one bit and thanks to Cal, he knows this.

So, which one of these dudes is going to go up to BJ and tell him how it's gonna be??? That should be a fun conversation huh? How do you think that's gonna go?

I have a very good idea of how that's gonna go down. Like a fart in church.

I could see Askew. For as bad as he may have played, he took his lumps in stride. And we'd all agree that he's maybe improved the most so far? That to me says "leader".

You must have missed Askew screaming at Flint when he came out to critique him.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Boy, I wish I could delegate duties within my job description to college kids to get them “off my plate”:

“I just told them, I’m going to have fun with this,” Calipari said this morning. “I’m going to enjoy myself. We named three guys to be leaders to do away with all the non-negotiables, attitudes, how you accept coaching. I’m not dealing with any of that. The players are going to deal. So that’s off my plate. Trying to get them to be more in control of how we’re playing offensively and less of it me.”

Cal's a master at lightening his load. Everything from leaning on athleticism to not be bothered with Xs and Os, to 3 empty seats on the bench, to providing structure within the program itself. I'm sure there's more if we look. $10mil for a skater and this aint even the NHL.

One of the first guys that comes to mind when you're listing off the list of players that needs a "non negotiable" talking to, is BJ Boston.

Keep in mind, this kid is a projected lottery pick. he has a status and he knows his future is set. What he does at UK doesn't matter one bit and thanks to Cal, he knows this.

So, which one of these dudes is going to go up to BJ and tell him how it's gonna be??? That should be a fun conversation huh? How do you think that's gonna go?

I have a very good idea of how that's gonna go down. Like a fart in church.
Or a turd in a punch bowl.

In this situation, I don't like it. You have guys that haven't been in the program but 5 minutes that will be in charge.

That's like having a recently adopted 8 year old in charge of your 7 year old, while you play Angry birds on your phone.

You know what this is going to do? It's going to divide the team even more than it already is. It's going to cause resentment and turmoil. This is a bad idea.
You may be right. We shall see real soon.

Exactly. Do those three decide the minutes from here on out or do they just get to give dirty looks and tell the players acting poorly to grow up?

I hope this means Cal realizes he has taken his approach to far and needs to overhaul his system to build a team and not a collection of athletes. Color me skeptical and I think this is just more bullshit from Cal. But you don’t know how bad I hope I am wrong.

He’s got to give the 3-4 year guys a chance to play. He can’t just keep them on the bench while the 5 stars get to miss shots and make mistakes.

And the 3-4 year guys have to be patient and be satisfied with only getting 5 or less minutes as Freshmen and Sophomore while they learn.

Problem is, this is a instant gratification society. If they can’t get minutes the first year (really the first month or week) they go back home or transfer somewhere else where they can play.

This works many times in varying walks of life. Teachers with students. Parents with children. Bosses with employees. Sometimes peers can reach each other in ways a person in charge can’t. I’ve been quite critical of cal but It doesn’t mean Cal is weak imo, I believe it means he’s doing all he can to reach player and mold them. We shall see.

Into what? ;)

Reactions: jedwar
Cal is weak imo, I believe it means he’s doing all he can to reach player and mold them. We shall see.

I’m not sure where you’re seeing “doing all he can” in that quote.

Did you read the whole quote? He didn’t say that he was also making it the players’ responsibility, instead his words basically relieved himself of responsibility with lines like: I’m not dealing with it anymore, it’s off my plate, the players have to deal with it now, I’m just gonna have fun and enjoy myself, etc.

I must say, those lines struck me as odd under the circumstances. I mean, how many people when their job performance is being criticized come back with a response along the lines of “OK, then I’ll work less hard by having college kids perform my duties instead of me....”

Last edited:
Reactions: CatsCats78
I’m not sure where you’re seeing “doing all he can” in that quote.

Did you read the whole quote? He didn’t say that he was also making it the players’ responsibility, instead his words basically relieved himself of responsibility with lines like: I’m not dealing with it anymore, it’s off my plate, the players have to deal with it now, I’m just gonna have fun and enjoy myself, etc.

I must say, those lines struck me as a bit odd under the circumstances. I mean, how many people when their job performance is being criticized come back with a response along the lines of “OK, then I’ll work less hard by having college kids perform my duties instead of me....”
Yep I read it. Just stating how I felt about it. Perhaps with a little of what I hope of why he’s doing it thrown in.

We'll see. This isn't a revolutionary concept. Its really one of the fundamental reasons why we gripe about not having upperclassmen. You've got to have vets telling you how to handle your business off the court. Its not just about having experienced guys on the court. UK is a monster. Guys whove put in the time should be out there and they shield the youngins while they learn and grow mostly behind the scenes until its their turn.

You've got a sophomore who's barely got experience and two transfer seniors who are new to this UK insanity as well. Hopefully it does work in creating a bond and accountability. If we were building rosters normally, frankly, stuff like this wouldn't even need to be done or said, because its part of how those rosters already operate. But I digress.

Is it refreshing to anyone else to see Cal say you have to have experienced guys?
You can have young guys, but you need to be careful with the young guys that you recruit. You need to put more time on other aspects of a player, other than how high he can jump, how fast he can run, or how many stars he has by his name. These guys that rate these players have an agenta too. Some of these guys are friends with the kid's parents. Some of these guys are paid by the shoe companies to steer players to certain schools. Some of these guys are buddies with these aau coaches, and are looking for a slice of the pie from these kids. Politics are as involved with these rankings every bit as much as how good the kid actually is.

Reactions: HoneyMoon155
I couldn’t have been more critical of Askew after the first few games and during the UNC game it was the first time I feel like I actually saw an improving player with a little more confidence in what he was doing.

Cal is averaging $10 million dollars per win right now and has no one to answer to without substantial fans in the seats due to Covid.

Sounds like fun to me, too.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT