ADVERTISEMENT

CAL - MARCH

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
Lexington Herald has a story asking why this March will be the most scrutinized in UK Coaching History..

It doesn't matter. He could make the final four and many on here will still want him gone. Its irreversible for many at this point.

For me Calipari doesn’t win to the UK standard anymore. I wish he’d retire at the end of the year regardless. Kentucky isn’t Syracuse and although I wish he’d be the old Calipari again that’s probably not happening. There’s too many young hungry coaches out there who I’d rather bet on than a pushing 70 rich Calipari.

I don’t even see why this March is scrutinized. We aren’t a top 5 program under Calipari today, yesterday or last November. The UK coach must be a guy who sustains our records and he doesn’t do that. So to me it’s irrelevant what he does from the point on. Unless he’s going to sustain his numbers to our standard, I don’t really care. So I guess as far as I’m concerned you’re right but probably not for the reasons you’d think.

For me Calipari doesn’t win to the UK standard anymore. I wish he’d retire at the end of the year regardless. Kentucky isn’t Syracuse and although I wish he’d be the old Calipari again that’s probably not happening. There’s too many young hungry coaches out there who I’d rather bet on than a pushing 70 rich Calipari.

I don’t even see why this March is scrutinized. We aren’t a top 5 program under Calipari today, yesterday or last November. The UK coach must be a guy who sustains our records and he doesn’t do that. So to me it’s irrelevant what he does from the point on. Unless he’s going to sustain his numbers to our standard, I don’t really care. So I guess as far as I’m concerned you’re right but probably not for the reasons you’d think.
Nobody's doing great right now, except Bill Self and he's i think 5th just in that conference.

The game has changed, the days of dominating are going to be tough for anyone because kids can transfer the next year and play right away. Recruiting isn't as important.

Everyone likes Oats, but what has he done? Nothing. He lives and dies by the 3 more than any coach EVERY year, not just one year. Hard to win multiple games in the tourney relying on the 3 like he does.

As for up and comers, look at Indiana, they never bounced back. They still cant find a coach. UL is the same. So is Michigan and UCLA. I think losing sucks but i dont know who's better at this point. Throwing another Gillespie in Lex is very possible.

Nobody's doing great right now, except Bill Self and he's i think 5th just in that conference.

The game has changed, the days of dominating are going to be tough for anyone because kids can transfer the next year and play right away. Recruiting isn't as important.

Everyone likes Oats, but what has he done? Nothing. He lives and dies by the 3 more than any coach EVERY year, not just one year. Hard to win multiple games in the tourney relying on the 3 like he does.

As for up and comers, look at Indiana, they never bounced back. They still cant find a coach. UL is the same. So is Michigan and UCLA. I think losing sucks but i dont know who's better at this point. Throwing another Gillespie in Lex is very possible.

Well I guess we just completely disagree. There’s nothing that says Kentucky cannot and will not remain the greatest program ever. If we go stagnant and keep a Boeheim type of coach, maybe.

Indiana kept Bob Knight too long and made a terrible follow up hire. All things UK needs to avoid and we’ll be fine.

Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc aren’t having any trouble keeping up. Tennessee is a 1 seed. Kentucky has a coach problem, not a program problem. We’ll be fine once we get a new regime. The difference in Kentucky and the other programs is this is where great coaches want to coach. They’ll always be lining up.

A Kansas BIG12 championship player ring (basketball) is going for around 1500 bucks. A Kentucky toilet bowl player ring (football) goes for more than that. That’s the difference in UK and Kansas, and that’s why coaches want to try their hand here over anywhere. But alas. We aren’t hiring at the moment🤔

Reactions: KFuqua

Reed would be very luring for a guy like Hurley to take the UK job.

I gotta take up for Cal, no Ky fan could be happy with the way things have gone for the past several years. I'd say most Coaches would already have been terminated after the results of the past 3 seasons. So to me this is it, But regardless of whats happened over the past few years Cal put Ky basketball back were it belonged and I'd like to see the guy do that again before he retires. That would be good for Ky Basketball and the next coach.

It doesn't matter. He could make the final four and many on here will still want him gone. Its irreversible for many at this point.
I agree 100% with this post….and I am one of them. Only way I will give Cal a pass is if he wins #9. If you listen to Cal…and if you believe him.. he’s been waiting on this specific team to bring the magic back. Well he has more than he could ever possibly want or need. 4 guards who can shoot the lights out…3 rim protectors ….and quality veteran players. There is no excuse for not winning it all

Reed would be very luring for a guy like Hurley to take the UK job.

I’ve thought about that too. How many of these coaches would be sold knowing they’re walking into Reed Sheppard.

I don’t think some realize just how much better Reed would be right now under a coach that actually wants to utilize the team around him. Not necessarily saying Calipari is holding him back, but definitely isn’t utilizing him in the ways someone like Pitino or coach K etc would.

There are coaches who would be using the Reed brand to promote the entire year and I just don’t think Calipari has done a good job at that. He’s more focused and making sure Wagner is noticed, Edwards isn’t forgotten etc.

I’ve thought about that too. How many of these coaches would be sold knowing they’re walking into Reed Sheppard.

I don’t think some realize just how much better Reed would be right now under a coach that actually wants to utilize the team around him. Not necessarily saying Calipari is holding him back, but definitely isn’t utilizing him in the ways someone like Pitino or coach K etc would.

There are coaches who would be using the Reed brand to promote the entire year and I just don’t think Calipari has done a good job at that.
I don't know how Reed feels about Cal, he's too mature and kind to say anything negative at this point. For some reason I don't feel his parents are high on Cal, but I do feel the three of them would LOVE to see what Reed could do under someone like Hurley.

The problem with Cal is MARCH
he simply tightens up.
His teams look like world beaters during the regular season - for the most part
But come March and he refuses to adapt

There are coaches who would be using the Reed brand to promote the entire year and I just don’t think Calipari has done a good job at that. He’s more focused and making sure Wagner is noticed, Edwards isn’t forgotten etc.
As BCG would say, this isn't the University of Reed Shepherd. I love the kid, love his game and his story is a fairy tale. Saying that, this team has weapons everywhere, it would be a travesty to build this offense around 1 guy, if I were though, it would be Dilly

Reactions: catlogic15

You realize cal isn’t immortal? Some of you Kool aid drinkers think he’s going to live forever and coach UK forever.
The Cal since 2018 has greatly under performed to UK standards. A young up and comer couldn’t do worse. Cal is putting up BCG numbers.
It’s past time for a fresh start.

Last edited:

UK pays Cal twice what Indiana pays Woodson. The money alone will attract a great level of coach.

And you're playing off the last available rebuttal that Cal fans use: we might end up like Indiana. That's a weak, laughable perspective.

Some of you said the same thing when Tubby was getting chased out of town. Sometimes you have to cowboy up and make a tough decision instead of being reactive. In case you didn't notice, we have 44 losses in the last four years. Tell me again how that's already not trending toward Indiana level?

We have another Gillespie in Lex right now.

Wait, what? Didn't Kansas win a title 2 years ago? Bill Self has dominated the Big-12 regular season titles. Nobody expects any coach to win a conference championship every single season.

I gotta take up for Cal, no Ky fan could be happy with the way things have gone for the past several years. I'd say most Coaches would already have been terminated after the results of the past 3 seasons. So to me this is it, But regardless of whats happened over the past few years Cal put Ky basketball back were it belonged and I'd like to see the guy do that again before he retires. That would be good for Ky Basketball and the next coach.
Good take. People are so quick to just get mad and now they want to burn it down with Cal. But he really needs to win big on his way out for the sake of the program. How he leaves will shape the next hire and the perception of the program to prospective coaching candidates.

Reactions: catzcan and cal=8
The problem with Cal is MARCH
he simply tightens up.
His teams look like world beaters during the regular season - for the most part
But come March and he refuses to adapt
I think his refusal to adapt goes back months before march. It just comes to a head in March. But from 2010-2019 or so nobody won more in March than Cal. Then the wheels fell off. I believe it all took a turn when he lost his staff and brought in justice/barbee. Then he just rolled too long with those guys. He's the same coach he has always been, but he was working without a safety net for too long.

Well I guess we just completely disagree. There’s nothing that says Kentucky cannot and will not remain the greatest program ever. If we go stagnant and keep a Boeheim type of coach, maybe.

Indiana kept Bob Knight too long and made a terrible follow up hire. All things UK needs to avoid and we’ll be fine.

Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc aren’t having any trouble keeping up. Tennessee is a 1 seed. Kentucky has a coach problem, not a program problem. We’ll be fine once we get a new regime. The difference in Kentucky and the other programs is this is where great coaches want to coach. They’ll always be lining up.

A Kansas BIG12 championship player ring (basketball) is going for around 1500 bucks. A Kentucky toilet bowl player ring (football) goes for more than that. That’s the difference in UK and Kansas, and that’s why coaches want to try their hand here over anywhere. But alas. We aren’t hiring at the moment🤔
Lol, Duke hasn't been to a F4 since we have. UNC just missed the tournament last year. KU went 14 years between titles.

These are just excuses for us to feel better about our own mediocrity. We need to rise above those again and at least try to be the Gold Standard. A good, dedicated coach will work to find reasons to do that. A lazy, unmotivated, or coach who has different priorities like we have will rest on the excuses.

He could bow out early this tournament and some on here will still welcome him back with open arms. It's irreversible for some at this point.
I think only one person would welcome him back. He has 10 different names.

Reactions: KFuqua
Naismith hall of fame turd polisher.

turd-polishing-award-ribbon-400x333.jpg

To the question that is he the most scrutinized season for a coach of Kentucky I think it’s up there, but 78 for Joe B Hall had tremendous pressure for players and coach alike

Reactions: catzcan and BBUK
I agree 100% with this post….and I am one of them. Only way I will give Cal a pass is if he wins #9. If you listen to Cal…and if you believe him.. he’s been waiting on this specific team to bring the magic back. Well he has more than he could ever possibly want or need. 4 guards who can shoot the lights out…3 rim protectors ….and quality veteran players. There is no excuse for not winning it all
Except for the other 10 teams or so who could win it!

Record wise. Which is worse. Considering the talent Cal gets.
I don't know. I'm not going to search it up. I agree Cal has underperformed given the talent he has had. But it goes well beyond the win-loss record. Clyde never even signed his contract and tried to immediately get back to TAM. He was abusive to his players, abusive to staffers in the athletic department, He refused to honor commitments that were customary of the job, he refused to welcome in past players and coaches, he was publicly rude to women and to Tom leach, he ran full speed practices on game days, he was drunk in public, he recruited NAIA talent including middle school kids, and let's not forget that he went to the NIT 50% of the time.

To compare any coach to Clyde is doing mental gymnastics.

Our defensive efficiency isn't good enough to win in March. Typically you should be in the top 30 for both offensive and defensive efficiency to be a real contender.
It worked for Miami last year. We mirror thier team last March in offense and defensive efficiency.

Indiana had their man, though. For some idiotic reason they terminated him and now he's killing it at Houston and in contention for the overall #1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT