ADVERTISEMENT

Cal leaves presser after 3 questions

I didn’t listen. Did he say that the facilities, assistant coaches and players all sucked and that it was the least enjoyable season of his life?
What happened last night doesn’t have a damn thing to do with Rick Pitino. I know you love Cal like a fat kid loves little debbie cakes so make whatever excuse you want. You’re not a Kentucky fan. You’re an obnoxious Calipari fanatic that’s made 1000 accounts because you have a man crush

Yeah, you just can't lose this game. No excuses. This is also why you don't puff your chest after beating Auburn and run your mouth. Because you've written checks your team (and your bad coaching) can't cash.
This is it, where was swaggy Cal? And what happens if Bama thumps us at Rupp, will he even come out or sprint off the floor to a chorus of boos

I'm surprised any members of the press corps would want to honestly hear what that bullshitter has to say anyway.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Cal has no integrity whatsoever! He tries to cleanse is soul by doing the "servant" stuff when actually he is just wanting people to pat him on the back! He's nothing but a used car salesman!
It's great to help others and do think it's genuine with Cal. Problem is, the #1 thing that he's here to do has fallen down his list of priorities. His servant leadership the last 4 years feels more like guilt for having a mediocre/substandard product and an elite salary. When you think you can just flip a switch or "go back to what worked"--it still takes work and maniacal focus to achieve that. I'd say that 95% of the fanbase knew LSU game was going to not end well with the way he puffed up about the Auburn win. That's "Swaggy Cal" at it's worst.

This is a very hard job. It's also a coveted job if you are willing to invest in the job and not try to be everything to everyone. Want to be a politician? Quit and go be one. Want to be the HC at University of Kentucky? Win. My involvement with the players was/is for game night. Never celebrate people being good/decent people. That's expected in life. But in today's we need to compliment and celebrate any/everything someone does, that tends to be an easy out or excuse for failed production in the workplace.

We've gone from Cal crowing about the '20 team's inevitable "championship" that is easy to say without having to back it up on the court. Cal/others omit the chaos that began with Tennessee home loss that like last night (actually surpassed it in terms of margin blown and it was in Rupp on Senior Night) had signs of success and failure within minutes of a game. Cal blew off the obligations, had a selfish player who was in his feeling about success of others (which isn't the case with DJ so not comparing that) an internal team issue heading into SEC Tournament but proclaimed that team was "the one" because.......it's the last team that had won the SEC and gave people good feeling.

Fast forward to '24 and the bill of goods is "We're built for March". You have to get there to be built for something. Teams "built for March" don't blow 15 pt leads on the road to mediocre teams. Teams built for March aren't either choosing to ignore instructions or being placed on the court when they can't do something. (Cal alluding to 50/50 balls means players either don't listen or aren't enforced to do this-so why are they out there?)

At some point it's time to end it. Hope isn't a plan. Behaving like an emotionally unstable teenager as the HC at Kentucky is embarrassing. His crowing after the Auburn game was about him feeling sorry for himself and being angry people are taking shots. They can't take shots if you win. So win. If you can't win or handle the job-step aside. This "be careful what you wish for" bull**** from those who talk about having to replace him is laughable. This job would have almost any/everyone who wants to coach CBB interested. It would be even more attractive if Barnhart is sent packing with Calipari. Barnhart is a stooge who has hid like a coward while Calipari continues to take this program down to the gutter. Maybe Mitch is a closet Kansas guy/fan? He went to Ottawa University in KS and that is about 20 miles from Lawrence so not ruling anything out with how poorly this program operates and how stale the University's support and handling of the men's program has been.

It's time. Time to for change and to get fans to the point they can universally support the program and have a man leading the program who views his job as #1 priority. These games should be fun for the players/fans, not painful lessons of what happens when an old coach loses their passion and yet loves the salary, so they hang on as long as possible to keep getting paid.

It's great to help others and do think it's genuine with Cal. Problem is, the #1 thing that he's here to do has fallen down his list of priorities. His servant leadership the last 4 years feels more like guilt for having a mediocre/substandard product and an elite salary. When you think you can just flip a switch or "go back to what worked"--it still takes work and maniacal focus to achieve that. I'd say that 95% of the fanbase knew LSU game was going to not end well with the way he puffed up about the Auburn win. That's "Swaggy Cal" at it's worst.

This is a very hard job. It's also a coveted job if you are willing to invest in the job and not try to be everything to everyone. Want to be a politician? Quit and go be one. Want to be the HC at University of Kentucky? Win. My involvement with the players was/is for game night. Never celebrate people being good/decent people. That's expected in life. But in today's we need to compliment and celebrate any/everything someone does, that tends to be an easy out or excuse for failed production in the workplace.

We've gone from Cal crowing about the '20 team's inevitable "championship" that is easy to say without having to back it up on the court. Cal/others omit the chaos that began with Tennessee home loss that like last night (actually surpassed it in terms of margin blown and it was in Rupp on Senior Night) had signs of success and failure within minutes of a game. Cal blew off the obligations, had a selfish player who was in his feeling about success of others (which isn't the case with DJ so not comparing that) an internal team issue heading into SEC Tournament but proclaimed that team was "the one" because.......it's the last team that had won the SEC and gave people good feeling.

Fast forward to '24 and the bill of goods is "We're built for March". You have to get there to be built for something. Teams "built for March" don't blow 15 pt leads on the road to mediocre teams. Teams built for March aren't either choosing to ignore instructions or being placed on the court when they can't do something. (Cal alluding to 50/50 balls means players either don't listen or aren't enforced to do this-so why are they out there?)

At some point it's time to end it. Hope isn't a plan. Behaving like an emotionally unstable teenager as the HC at Kentucky is embarrassing. His crowing after the Auburn game was about him feeling sorry for himself and being angry people are taking shots. They can't take shots if you win. So win. If you can't win or handle the job-step aside. This "be careful what you wish for" bull**** from those who talk about having to replace him is laughable. This job would have almost any/everyone who wants to coach CBB interested. It would be even more attractive if Barnhart is sent packing with Calipari. Barnhart is a stooge who has hid like a coward while Calipari continues to take this program down to the gutter. Maybe Mitch is a closet Kansas guy/fan? He went to Ottawa University in KS and that is about 20 miles from Lawrence so not ruling anything out with how poorly this program operates and how stale the University's support and handling of the men's program has been.

It's time. Time to for change and to get fans to the point they can universally support the program and have a man leading the program who views his job as #1 priority. These games should be fun for the players/fans, not painful lessons of what happens when an old coach loses their passion and yet loves the salary, so they hang on as long as possible to keep getting paid.
The next coach just needs to come in and talk about program first. They’ll have a jam packed BBM.

If I wasn’t such a diehard UK fan, it would’ve been fascinating watching Cal morph from the take no prisoners coach of 2010, to this current wannabe guidance counselor we’re stuck with for now.

The next coach just needs to come in and talk about program first. They’ll have a jam packed BBM.

If I wasn’t such a diehard UK fan, it would’ve been fascinating watching Cal morph from the take no prisoners coach of 2010, to this current wannabe guidance counselor we’re stuck with for now.
The "wannabe guidance counselor" is too good. LMAO with that.

Not sure if BBM can be saved under current administrative regime. It's tired and boring. I'd like to see a legit Midnight Madness separate from the Women's program. We're all adults. This concept of having to combine BBM because....the women "Deserve" the support or to be part of a "start of basketball" as if the sport is in the same stratosphere needs to end. Women are adults. They are equal. So in the biggest sign of equality, quit sucking on the tit of male athletics to get attention and get out on your own and earn/don't earn support. But quit watering down an hour and wasting time under some dated concept of equality which is really just charity and lying to make people feel good.

Haha. I mean, I watched Cal call T. Jones a selfish mf’er on live tv, to now publicly inviting his guys to sleepovers.
Cal used to be ruthless. He's washed up. So what better place to go after big win then another venue filled with guys who mail in a performance, make a ton of $ and don't really give a **** if they win--the NBA All Star Game. This isn't a shot at the NBA either, I enjoy regular season and Playoff basketball but the All Star game is hot garbage.

Ironically, for the '24 season to be salvaged, he needs to look no further than doing what he did with SGA in '18 and dumping the higher ranked/more talked about player and replace him with his best guard. Quade was pushed aside for SGA and they salvaged the season. This is a dumpster fire with excuses of bringing your best backcourt off the bench.

Anyone who watched in July could see who the best trio of guards were together. Yet we're still seeing him throw away minutes and while most coaches laugh off starting lineups--points and opportunities squandered matter just as much in opening minutes as they do in closing. No different in a season when we see dumb organizations/teams piss at losses like "It's only November" but come March are furious when passed over by committee in being selected due to not having enough wins. "But we have won 4 of our last 5...." is always fun to see and ESPN will cry about a few and talk of "injustice" only it's forgotten about by Monday when they are breaking down brackets. LOL

He

Cal has always underachieved and nothing is going to change.
It's hard to be too critical of the F/C play, given the injuries and unavailability of players early in the year, but at this point, I thought the bigs would have a greater impact than they have had. They just aren't tough enough - yet. If you were able to convince a majority of the non-lottery players to come back and improve their play, this would be a FF capable team next year. I've been impressed with Edwards' improvement - seems to have found his niche. Not sure if Cal gets any credit for that...

Quade was pushed aside for SGA and they salvaged the season.
Did they? I remember 2018 mostly for what a frustrating disappointing dysfunctional season it was even with SGA’s stellar play (which now seems crazy when you see how much NBA success the players on that roster have had).

SGA might’ve prevented that from being an NIT type disaster season, but he didn’t. “salvage” much beyond that.

Did they? I remember 2018 mostly for what a frustrating disappointing dysfunctional season it was even with SGA’s stellar play (which now seems crazy when you see how much NBA success the players on that roster have had).

SGA might’ve prevented that from being an NIT type disaster season, but he didn’t. “salvage” much beyond that.
You won the SEC Tournament Championship, got to the Sweet 16. That's salvaging a bad looking season. If it's not, then you are being blind. That team had more success than anything in the Oscar Tshiebwe era and everyone was picking them to get upset by mid majors earlier in season (won games) they won at West Virginia in a game that much like Auburn nobody expected. They made a switch by putting Green on the bench-SGA in the lineup. Still waiting for that with this year's team.

If this team wins the SEC/goes to the Sweet 16, many will be satisfied based on where they currently are. I have no confidence in any game. Not saying they can't win but no game is an assumed win because they aren't coached well enough. The HC is a guy who loses focus/concentration on details and when you have any team, albeit young teams-you better build up every game as if it's going to be toughest they've seen-you don't jet off to celebrate a game that Calipari obviously wasn't sure he'd win but wanted to act like it accomplished something. Kentucky should be expected to beat everyone, not celebrating road wins in Auburn.

Well the entire University has bad leadership when it comes to dealing with Cal. Mitch needs to dictate more what Cal does with press conference, assistant coaches etc. The President is failing to hold Mitch accountable for Cal and the shit hire in women’s basketball and the Board is failing to hold any of them accountable.

Nutshell

He had to go, Grubhub was delivering his deep fried Twinkies to the hotel...

UFxiKvA.png

The entire presser was less than 5 minutes.

Of course, he mentioned our youth.

Well, Cal, you're doing it your way, with young elite players, and those players are not that good. You had a chance to load up in the portal, and you chose instead to wait it out and give guys like Livingston and Oscar time to make a decision while guys like Knecht went elsewhere.

Now, we're staring at deja vu for the third straight year.

Bingo. Cal can almost hand pick his roster every season. Grab a couple top 10 to top 5 HS kids, fill the rest out with top portal kids, and build your team. Someone said he's got about 2 million dollars in NIL to use every season.

Reactions: NociHTTP
This trend maybe more than anything else makes me think he really may leave after this season.
🤞, saying my prayers, sitting my lucky buckeye out on the table. Just cut off all of my rabbits feet, burning incense, getting ready to order a voodoo doll off Amazon, anything to get this sad sack of shit away from the program.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It's hard to be too critical of the F/C play, given the injuries and unavailability of players early in the year, but at this point, I thought the bigs would have a greater impact than they have had. They just aren't tough enough - yet. If you were able to convince a majority of the non-lottery players to come back and improve their play, this would be a FF capable team next year. I've been impressed with Edwards' improvement - seems to have found his niche. Not sure if Cal gets any credit for that...
Even with guys unable to physically perform well enough to be in games, can anyone tell me with a straight face that those guys couldn't still participate in running sets? Or even sit beside an assistant who explains what's going on? It's clear to me that the problem we've had this season is NOT injuries, rather lack of coaching. I still can't believe Welch was brought on and the offense is NO DIFFERENT than it's been in season's past. Wasn't he supposed to be the guy who would teach different sets that we'd actually see in games? Or did I just read into something that wasn't there? Even the guys who've been out there most of the season don't seem to have much of a clue what they're doing. It's mostly ISO junk and an occasional half-ass-protect-me-from-booboos screen. Sometimes I get the feeling the opposing coach / players are laughing deep inside watching our harmless "weave".

Nailed it.

This is my #1 issue and only reason I'm detached from everything. Winning/losing games happens. We've all watched the '21 season which was the worst thing I've ever seen regarding Kentucky Basketball. But we all were there each game and loss.

The problem is the chaos and shakiness around the program. He's behaving like a guy who is Bipolar far too often. I dread any "Swaggy Cal" appearance because nothing positive happens for the program be it recruiting or on the court. Ever. He's like the line in Blue Chips the dirty booster says about Nolte "Are you pissed off? Good. You coach better when you are pissed off". Pissed off and angry is the only version of Calipari that seems to produce. "Swaggy Cal" needs to be retired. You can't be swaggy when every slapdick team in the country wants to not just beat your ass-but calls their shot.

Name a recent season where Kentucky didn't have chaos/oddities? Injuries take place in sports-but at Kentucky it's "He's out with something--not sure when he's back" or "someone is out and haven't seen them". As a leader you simply state--"Tre is banged up-will miss some games". Rotations make 0 sense. Strategy changes--split 2 games against UF because he decided to NOT coach in the game at Rupp but did coach in Gainesville. His constant "focus on me, not the kids" is such a cornball dickhead line it's pathetic. That's where the shots are being taken Cal.

It's just not fun. Not fun to follow/watch/listen. I'm out on 1 of the 3 as I don't watch live games anymore when given time to do so. This was prove/move year. Kentucky fans can be labeled whatever the media wants to label them. Main thing is they deserve a HC who gives a **** about the program and understanding the unreal expectations and embracing it.
everyone else whose been around this program for 50 years knows what you’re taking about. We used to be so invested in it to the point it was part of our life. Everything revolves around the games and you NEVER missed a tip off. The pride in it was everything and that’s what made the BBN what it became to be. You just couldn’t imagine a time where you just weren’t that invested in it anymore but that’s where many are now. I miss a lot of TV games and although I still root and get frustrated with it, if we lose it doesn’t meant that much. Back in the day it was devastating. It’s hard to believe and a damn shame

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT