ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is an awful coach

Maybe a small % of coaches. Too many unknowns for me. Why would anyone prefer to inbound the full length of the court? If your guards can't get open, which happened, it forces a big to become a facilitator.
I'm actually surprised he called a timeout at all. Cal usually goes home with a couple in his pocket.
U have to go full court either way. Its not NBA u dont advance the ball. Timeout in between free throws happens all the time in college in a 1pt game or tie game

I genuinely do not understand how some are still so vehemently defending him. I truly do not.

The only thing I can come up with, outside of a couple guys who I disagree with but are good people, is that those defending him so staunchly relate and support him because he’s gone woke and jumped on the conformist train. They agree with him “taking a stand againZt socIaL juSticE” and think any and all of us are raging KKK nazi sympathizers (as a couple guys on here have already alluded to).
Then they care more about social justice than they do UK basketball.

Then they care more about social justice than they do UK basketball.
I care about social justice. And I don't have a problem with Cal's attitude on that. If Cal and the players take a knee I believe it is sincerely to call attention to a serious problem in America and is not meant to disrespect the flag, our soldiers or the nation as a whole.

That's not necessarily incompatible with coaching the premier college basketball team in the country. There can be a place for that sort of thing.

But not between the jump ball and the final whistle. THERE I expect UK's coach to have one focus and to be skillful at it. And that is winning games (within the rules). Recruiting the best possible mix of players. Teaching them, developing them, and then managing the games in such a way as to maximize success, success being measured in winning games, winning the conference, and advancing as far as possible in the post season. It's emphatically not measured on NBA Draft Day.

And you cure "generational poverty" - if that's even in Cal's mind rather than just in those of the fans - by actions that benefit the masses. Education, job retraining, building a sustainable economy of both large and small businesses and ensuring equal opportunity of access to all. Not by sending a tiny handful of freakishly gifted athletes who are always the far end of the curve off to make million$ in pro sports.

Now I don't really know if Calipari is/has promised some players time and visibility in an effort to get them into the NBA over winning games, but that does seem to be the supposition of a lot of the fans. And if it's true, it needs to stop. But it seems to be coming clear that Calipari is deficient in some aspects of the job. No question he's an outstanding recruiter. But when it comes to player development and planning and managing the actual games, I'm questioning if he's coach we need.

Coaching Kentucky Basketball is a high-pressure job. And I wonder if burnout is what we're seeing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Excellent play, horrible execution. Coach Cal drew up the correct play. The guards could not get open for Sarr to pass it to them.

Farr Cal!...I feel like I have to say it as if it is some code word around here...lol
Couldn't disagree more. Sarr is the LAST RESORT for putting the ball in his hands to distribute the ball at that location on the court and with the game on the line with 4 seconds left. He is not a good dribbler, passer or playmaker. A million more things could go wrong than right with that scenario...... and one of them did.

I care about social justice. And I don't have a problem with Cal's attitude on that. If Cal and the players take a knee I believe it is sincerely to call attention to a serious problem in America and is not meant to disrespect the flag, our soldier or the nation as a whole.

That's not necessarily incompatible with coaching the premier college basketball team in the country. There can be a place for that sort of thing.

But not between the jump ball and the final whistle. THERE I expect UK's coach to have one focus and to be skillful at it. And that is winning games (within the rules). Recruiting the best possible mix of players. Teaching them, developing them, and then managing the games in such a way as to maximize success, success being measured in winning games, winning the conference, and advancing as far as possible in the post season. It's emphatically not measured on NBA Draft Day.

And you cure "generational poverty" - if that's even in Cal's mind rather than just in those of the fans - by actions that benefit the masses. Education, job retraining, building a sustainable economy of both large and small businesses and ensuring equal opportunity of access to all. Not by sending a tiny handful of freakishly gifted athletes who are always the far end of the curve off to make million$ in pro sports.

Now I don't really know if Calipari is/has promised some players time and visibility in an effort to get them into the NBA over winning games, but that does seem to be the supposition of a lot of the fans. And if it's true, it needs to stop. But it seems to be coming clear that Calipari is deficient in some aspects of the job. No question he's an outstanding recruiter. But when it comes to player development and planning and managing the actual games, I'm questioning if he's coach we need.

Coaching Kentucky Basketball is a high-pressure job. And I wonder if burnout is what we're seeing here.
I agree with much of what you said, but do think he is pretty damn good at developing guards with his system. He just didn't evaluate the talent level of Askew very well as a match for the system he runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT