ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is an awful coach

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
WTH was he thinking calling the timeout before the second ft? WTH? Why did he allow his team to run it under 30 secs before taking a shot? WTH? You admittedly have kids who aren’t the best thinkers and you give them and either or scenario timeout instead of calling one specific for a play? Man this guy. I don’t know what to say anymore. The oad suck is one thing but this is your X’s and O’s coach? I have zero faith in him another season. His recruiting is gone and he is an awful coach. Hall of fame coaches don’t coach like that to end a game. Terrible

WTH was he thinking calling the timeout before the second ft? WTH? Why did he allow his team to run it under 30 secs before taking a shot? WTH? You admittedly have kids who aren’t the best thinkers and you give them and either or scenario timeout instead of calling one specific for a play? Man this guy. I don’t know what to say anymore. The oad suck is one thing but this is your X’s and O’s coach? I have zero faith in him another season. His recruiting is gone and he is an awful coach. Hall of fame coaches don’t coach like that to end a game. Terrible
I was thinking the same thing. Ideally, you inbound the ball and get near half court then take the timeout. This would put you at half court with about 2.5 seconds left and a much more manageable chance to score. Honestly, that's middle school execution stuff.

Yeah , but he used to be a great recruiter.

Excellent play, horrible execution. Coach Cal drew up the correct play. The guards could not get open for Sarr to pass it to them.

Farr Cal!...I feel like I have to say it as if it is some code word around here...lol

I was thinking the same thing. Ideally, you inbound the ball and get near half court then take the timeout. This would put you at half court with about 2.5 seconds left and a much more manageable chance to score. Honestly, that's middle school execution stuff.
Most coaches would call timeout in between there cuz your hoping u can ice the shooter then its still tie game. Time outs in between free throws happens all the time

No problem with when he called the timeout. But to design that play is mind-boggling.

Glad we don't have to watch our rivals on top this year everyone sucks.Gonzaga can have it.You get the trophy that's got shit running down it,cause that's what this season was.Least there was a season, we will begin our countdown to Big Blue MADNESS same as always as soon as April starts.

Most coaches would call timeout in between there cuz your hoping u can ice the shooter then its still tie game. Time outs in between free throws happens all the time

No coach I know (except 1) would have all of his team at half court to accept a pass at half court, only to have to come back to the ball going away from the basket. No matter who caught the pass it wasn’t going to be good. You have to inbound to a good going the direction toward the goal. Hell there was plenty of time to get all the way to the rim. Cal proving once again he can’t coach worth a shit. I’m sure during the timeout his play call was someone make a play.

Alot of coaches if not most would call timeout in between free throws there. U hope to make the shooter think about it more and hope he misses. Guy was only 63% free throw shooter and not have a defense that's set

Yeah but i was kinda thinking its been lost for a while , lol .
That's fair, it certainly has been longer than some want to acknowledge but seemed to be at a whole new level tonight I had never heard. Just screaming into oblivion like a babbling fool more than just talking in tongues, Cal speak and so forth.

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
That's fair, it certainly has been longer than some want to acknowledge but seemed to be at a whole new level tonight I had never heard. Just screaming into oblivion like a babbling fool more than just talking in tongues, Cal speak and so forth.
I stopped listening to the clown show years ago. He’s just a younger version of Dick Vitale . I do kinda wish I had listened to it tonight though , if it was even worse . It would have made me laugh .

Reactions: kybloo92
I stopped listening to the clown show years ago. He’s just a younger version of Dick Vitale . I do kinda wish I had listened to it tonight though , if it was even worse . It would have made me laugh .
I'm with you on that. It's tired old lines and stopped listening to scripted pregame or Coach Cal call-in show that gets screened but will listen to the postgame still in hopes for a rant or the callers sounding off in the postgame show. Gotten kind of testy at times with Leach this year who I can tell is fed up with the same BS lines he feeds us all too.

Glad we don't have to watch our rivals on top this year everyone sucks.Gonzaga can have it.You get the trophy that's got shit running down it,cause that's what this season was.Least there was a season, we will begin our countdown to Big Blue MADNESS same as always as soon as April starts.
It's a missed opportunity, though.

Excellent play, horrible execution. Coach Cal drew up the correct play. The guards could not get open for Sarr to pass it to them.

Farr Cal!...I feel like I have to say it as if it is some code word around here...lol

Putting the ball in the hands of a 7 foot center at half court and hoping for him to either make a play or try to get it to a guard is not an excellent play and if you think it is then it shows your lack of basic basketball knowledge.

that seems to be the only inbounds play they have. Guards not smart enough to set picks to get open. Instead just run around by yourself and hope to get open going away from the basket. I still hope they win a few more .............BUT

Only think the Cal Brigade knows is the smell inside Cal's butt.

I genuinely do not understand how some are still so vehemently defending him. I truly do not.

The only thing I can come up with, outside of a couple guys who I disagree with but are good people, is that those defending him so staunchly relate and support him because he’s gone woke and jumped on the conformist train. They agree with him “taking a stand againZt socIaL juSticE” and think any and all of us are raging KKK nazi sympathizers (as a couple guys on here have already alluded to).

Maybe a small % of coaches. Too many unknowns for me. Why would anyone prefer to inbound the full length of the court? If your guards can't get open, which happened, it forces a big to become a facilitator.
I'm actually surprised he called a timeout at all. Cal usually goes home with a couple in his pocket.

The talent has often hidden some of these outlandish decisions, but when your team sucks like this year, your coaching decisions are on full display. Last night was comical. Everything about the final minute was just amateur level coaching.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
ADVERTISEMENT