ADVERTISEMENT

Cal in post-game presser: "I don't have the answers".

Ok lets try. "upper classmen" That would be a good place to start. And not with players from other schools that had "no" chance of ever being drafted. Never heard of them before they got here. JS

Reactions: CB3UK
Ultimately this comes down to coaching and it's both the head coach and the assistants. IMO this current staff can't evaluate talent if they thought this group were big time recruits and especially Askew. There is not one player on this team that would start on most of our teams from 2010-2018 seasons. The assistants also are usually the ones working one on one with the kids and none of them have improved over the season with the exception of Toppin and maybe Jackson. Now all of this falls back to Cal because he needs to realize that he is only as good as his support staff and they are letting him down. He needs to quit hiring his former players and bring in quality assistant coaches who can evaluate talent and develop them when they get on campus. If not he is no different than Tubby was at the end.

Creed, I don't believe Cal would listen to anyone. He thinks he knows it all. He will point out how many he has sent to the NBA, and how much money they have made.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Jai Lucas looked in the mirror last night after the game and said "I have made a huge mistake"
After watching him fill in for Cal at several media obligations lately, I am impressed. I watched him a day or two ago and when he was finished I said to myself “ I’d trade Cal for him right now.”
I know that’s crazy but he sounded way more knowledgeable and level headed than Cal. And I have no doubts he has a better idea of how to implement and execute an offense and defensive game plan.

This team has two games (losses) left in the season. There is no magic pill or fix for this..

The answer is really simple. Every player on the team other than Mintz and Jackson have vastly underperformed compared to what everyone thought they would be. Additionally, the three "stars" of Boston, Clarke and Sarr have been dreadful.

A lot of this is on Cal but there is nobody who would have predicted that all of those guys would be this bad.

IMO it isnt on the players at all. They are not that bad ... no , they are not world beaters , not super , but this team -- had the lineup been playing all along , was good enough to be 16-8 or 17-7 , somewhere along those lines. But Cal rode Askew the entire season , he let Boston run wild , and just screwed the entire season up . We were good enough to be HORRIBLY coached and still be right there in nearly every game. Its mind boggling the lack of awareness in how badly this team was managed

IMO it isnt on the players at all. They are not that bad ... no , they are not world beaters , not super , but this team -- had the lineup been playing all along , was good enough to be 16-8 or 17-7 , somewhere along those lines. But Cal rode Askew the entire season , he let Boston run wild , and just screwed the entire season up . We were good enough to be HORRIBLY coached and still be right there in nearly every game. Its mind boggling the lack of awareness in how badly this team was managed

Completely disagree...simply not true.

Reactions: The Snoke
Cal put together a team this season that can’t shoot, can’t take their man off the dribble, can’t pass, outside of Jackson can’t rebound, can’t keep opposing guards from going by them, is soft and doesn’t have a player with the confidence to make game winning plays.

No wonder he doesn’t “have any answers” for this team!! How could a coach that has made his mark on college basketball by being able to EVALUATE talent AND develop players to their HIGHEST potential NOT be able to see this coming???!!!

Cal has a DEEP self examination to do after this mess of a season, which has been building for the past few seasons.

I just always remember him saying he will take talent over experience every time and all of these teams that have less talent and more experience are kicking his ass. I wonder if he still feels that way? I never thought that was a smart thing to say when he said that.

Talent over Experience is one thing when talking AD, MKG (college version), Wall, Fox, Monk, Noel, etc....but when you are getting a team of SKJ, Stacey Poole, Tai Wynyard's--you take experience.

Cal doesn't have answers, here are a few:

1. Shake up your Staff--at least 2 guys need to go, I'd bump Robic into Administrative role and open up 3 spots.

2. Recruit guards who are fast/quick and can create offense for teammates

3. Embrace the 3pt shot

4. If a guy is from CA, don't recruit him--this applies to how things have worked in Cal era.

5. Watch film and get out to see players play. No more "surprises" as to how a player plays. This coincides with #1 though--if you have elite staff you can be surprised and entrust them to bring in talent that allows you to just coach what you have--but you want to keep this crew, you better go watch because 2 guys on staff have no concept of what is available to UK and can't close on players who should be in Lexington.

Talent over Experience is one thing when talking AD, MKG (college version), Wall, Fox, Monk, Noel, etc....but when you are getting a team of SKJ, Stacey Poole, Tai Wynyard's--you take experience.

Cal doesn't have answers, here are a few:

1. Shake up your Staff--at least 2 guys need to go, I'd bump Robic into Administrative role and open up 3 spots.

2. Recruit guards who are fast/quick and can create offense for teammates

3. Embrace the 3pt shot

4. If a guy is from CA, don't recruit him--this applies to how things have worked in Cal era.

5. Watch film and get out to see players play. No more "surprises" as to how a player plays. This coincides with #1 though--if you have elite staff you can be surprised and entrust them to bring in talent that allows you to just coach what you have--but you want to keep this crew, you better go watch because 2 guys on staff have no concept of what is available to UK and can't close on players who should be in Lexington.
You nailed it on all points here.

Reactions: KFuqua
$9 million/year and he can't figure out how to win with a team HE put together?

What a PISS POUR response to this crappy season.

Does this mean Cal is ADMITTING he can't get the job done anymore?

I’d be careful where you pour that piss. You might smell more poor than you already do.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
IMO it isnt on the players at all. They are not that bad ... no , they are not world beaters , not super , but this team -- had the lineup been playing all along , was good enough to be 16-8 or 17-7 , somewhere along those lines.

I can "get" that it may be impossible to really know if a young man you only see in HS or AAU is going to be a great college player. It's a big transition coming from playing random teenagers to playing "men" in Div. 1 college basketball. I also understand why UK would have "slow starts" to a season given the turnover in players.

However, I know for certain that with the competition that UK has faced this year, there is no reason on Earth why this squad could not have been "coached up" over the course of the preseason and season to be sitting on at least 12-11.

16-8 or 17-7 might be too much to ask of these players in this weird Covid year, but not even being close to "even money" with this schedule shows a lack of effort on the part of both the staff and the players.

Reactions: ManitouDan
To see just how bad this team is, pull up the '96 national championship game between Kentucky and Syracuse on YouTube. Watch the intensity and the ball movement.

There's absolutely no way that Calipari will ever have a team that comes close. He can't do it with freshmen and it can't be done without very competent development of players.

Calipari's whole approach to the game is a bad joke.

To see just how bad this team is, pull up the '96 national championship game between Kentucky and Syracuse on YouTube. Watch the intensity and the ball movement.

There's absolutely no way that Calipari will ever have a team that comes close. He can't do it with freshmen and it can't be done without very competent development of players.

Calipari's whole approach to the game is a bad joke.

Yep - watching footage of our teams from the Pitino and Tubby eras is almost startling. It's like watching a completely different sport.

That's coaching.

There is no answer for this team. It's just not very good. This is the most physically weak team UK has ever "courted" and the ripples of it are felt in every aspect of the game. It affects everything.

Nah. Nobody can shoot.

Jimmy Dykes nailed it last night. Cal got caught without a star PG this year. Average guard play this year. That's on Cal.
This was obvious to all early on as soon as we saw Askew play. He’s not quick enough to run Cal’s desired offense but the rest of the team is not up to Cal’s standards either. Hagans back would have resulted in a better record but not a significantly better team.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Just think our coach said he didn't have the answers and he's got a lifetime contract.
That's because there are no answers. We have a team full of role players who should be the 7th or 8th man coming off the bench. The only answer is to recruit better players, and that can't be done at this point in the season.

Cal doesn’t know what to do when his screaming and cliches don’t work.
This ! The damn pretender doesn't know what to do ! He's nothing more than The Wizard of Oz and this season has completed the pulling back of the curtain. A loud and vacuous fraud. No more and no less.

Reactions: docholiday51
$9 million/year and he can't figure out how to win with a team HE put together?

What a PISS POOR response to this crappy season.

Does this mean Cal is ADMITTING he can't get the job done anymore?
Calm down Ben. We will be back.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
This ! The damn pretender doesn't know what to do ! He's nothing more than The Wizard of Oz and this season has completed the pulling back of the curtain. A loud and vacuous fraud. No more and no less.
Antigua and Payne gave him most of his success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT