ADVERTISEMENT

From a big Cal supporter

hamidousvertical

Sophomore
May 26, 2017
Danville
I was thrilled when it was announced Coach Cal would be our new HC. The man was a winner. He was an innovator. He was ahead of the game and had his finger in the wind long before anyone else to see what direction college basketball was going.

He put his middle finger up to the traditional standard of how to build a team because he knew things were changing. He had the swag and confidence to pull it off and stay ahead of the curve.

In doing so he pissed a lot of people off. He was arrogant and didn’t care what people thought. He knew that the fans of whatever team he coached would have his back 10000% because his teams won. His vision payed off. It was fun and it was innovative. I’m sure this cost the teams he coached being it from refs, from the media, etc… but it was worth it.

I’m this new NIL era I imagined Coach Cal would CRUSH it. I mean, this wasn’t something an innovative man had to see coming, it was barreling down the tracks like a fully loaded train. But instead of getting ahead of the competition he has let it pass him by completely (some would say he got run over). That’s not the Cal that was hired to coach our program.

I would love to know why this has happened. Maybe he caught lightning in a bottle once and “freshman” will always be his thing. Maybe he isn’t as innovative as I once thought and he just had one good idea and went all in and had success. Everyone knows the X’s &O’s was never his thing (nor free throws), but I always assumed he saw the winds of college basketball change before anyone else so he could get ahead of his deficiencies and keep his team in the upper echelon of college BB.

I hate to say it, but I think it’s time to admit this was sadly mistaken. I’m not sure if it’s getting a job at a program like Kentucky or if it’s getting high on his own supply (people tellling him he is always right and could never do wrong). But it’s apparent the man has lost his edge. He has lost that edge that once made him your worst enemy or the man you would hand pick to lead your team.

From screaming nonsense on the sideline

GOOOOOOOOO

RUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

to the baffling and deranged way he talks to / at the fans of Kentucky, it’s obvious the man has lost touch of what made him a great coach.

He is still obviously “players first” but now it comes to the detriment to the program and himself. He is a relic of a time that has passed by. A time that he himself created and therefor left what made him special in that moment. Maybe it was the screw jobs by refs in big games, maybe it was players figuring out they could take advantage of him… hell, maybe the dude got so rich and got enough gifts from Drake that he thought he could do no wrong.

Whatever the case, Cal has lost it. His middle fingers are no longer directed at the rest of college BB but directed at our fans and our program.

I’m a fan of our incoming freshman class. I think Wagner and Dilly are going to be super fun to watch. And fun is something I long for after the last few years. But it’s obvious in todays landscape that you can’t win on freshman alone. Our coach has fallen behind. He could have been The Godfather of how todays college BB works. Going from the 1 & done coach to the Mount Rushmore of NIL.

Maybe next season works out. Maybe Cal had something up his sleeve, but at this point I highly doubt it. A team of all freshman (I’m a big fan of our class by the way) won’t get it done. Our coach used to be ahead of his time, now he is the one getting run over by it.

I hope we win every freaking second of every game next year. I’m excited to see the new guys play. But it’s obvious Cal has lost what made him special. The man has become fat and happy and probably thinks his farts smell like a 1 & done. I’m hopeful he will snap out of this, but I’m willing to believe that’s what he is now. Out of shape and out of touch. I’m hoping to see the Cal of old before he departs our sideline.

Cals first five years were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before as a sports fan. Being in the middle of it felt unreal but it was impossible to not take it for granted. It seemed like we were set for years to come.

I do believe that cal is an innovator. My guess is that the situation with Barnhart has gotten so dire that it’s resulted in us losing out on NIL, etc.

I have a ton of criticisms of Cal but the first half of his career was about as good as you can get in CBB. If cal does leave, nothing will change unless Barnhart is forced out.

Reactions: chroix
Kids used to come because Cal had players as lottery picks every year. Now our players are falling out of the lottery. Last 1st Rd to 2nd. They don't come to school for the name anymore it's playing time and money. Which Cal won't guarantee. Most kids don't want to earn it nowadays, they want it handed to them.

2 seed a season ago. Number 1 recruiting class next year.

That's really losing it. I hope to lose it like that some day.

Cal has never been lauded as a great Xs and Ox bench coach. He was always praised for his recruiting and marketing skills. Right now he can't seem to recruit his own players back to campus or other players from other 'lower' school to the Gold Standard University of Kentucky. No buzz about the program so right now not looking good since he can't coach, recruit, or create good news about the program. Oh wow! How depressing!

And to top it all off, he is paid big time $$$$ and we are on the hook for awhile.

Last edited:
Cal figured out a cheat code for college basketball. He was always a fraud as a coach. That cheat code doesn't work anymore. This is what you have left.

Reactions: HalHR2500
I was thrilled when it was announced Coach Cal would be our new HC. The man was a winner. He was an innovator. He was ahead of the game and had his finger in the wind long before anyone else to see what direction college basketball was going.

He put his middle finger up to the traditional standard of how to build a team because he knew things were changing. He had the swag and confidence to pull it off and stay ahead of the curve.

In doing so he pissed a lot of people off. He was arrogant and didn’t care what people thought. He knew that the fans of whatever team he coached would have his back 10000% because his teams won. His vision payed off. It was fun and it was innovative. I’m sure this cost the teams he coached being it from refs, from the media, etc… but it was worth it.

I’m this new NIL era I imagined Coach Cal would CRUSH it. I mean, this wasn’t something an innovative man had to see coming, it was barreling down the tracks like a fully loaded train. But instead of getting ahead of the competition he has let it pass him by completely (some would say he got run over). That’s not the Cal that was hired to coach our program.

I would love to know why this has happened. Maybe he caught lightning in a bottle once and “freshman” will always be his thing. Maybe he isn’t as innovative as I once thought and he just had one good idea and went all in and had success. Everyone knows the X’s &O’s was never his thing (nor free throws), but I always assumed he saw the winds of college basketball change before anyone else so he could get ahead of his deficiencies and keep his team in the upper echelon of college BB.

I hate to say it, but I think it’s time to admit this was sadly mistaken. I’m not sure if it’s getting a job at a program like Kentucky or if it’s getting high on his own supply (people tellling him he is always right and could never do wrong). But it’s apparent the man has lost his edge. He has lost that edge that once made him your worst enemy or the man you would hand pick to lead your team.

GOOOOOOOOO

RUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

to the baffling and deranged way he talks to / at the fans of Kentucky, it’s obvious the man has lost touch of what made him a great coach.

He is still obviously “players first” but now it comes to the detriment to the program and himself. He is a relic of a time that has passed by. A time that he himself created and therefor left what made him special in that moment. Maybe it was the screw jobs by refs in big games, maybe it was players figuring out they could take advantage of him… hell, maybe the dude got so rich and got enough gifts from Drake that he thought he could do no wrong.

Whatever the case, Cal has lost it. His middle fingers are no longer directed at the rest of college BB but directed at our fans and our program.

I’m a fan of our incoming freshman class. I think Wagner and Dilly are going to be super fun to watch. And fun is something I long for after the last few years. But it’s obvious in todays landscape that you can’t win on freshman alone. Our coach has fallen behind. He could have been The Godfather of how todays college BB works. Going from the 1 & done coach to the Mount Rushmore of NIL.

Maybe next season works out. Maybe Cal had something up his sleeve, but at this point I highly doubt it. A team of all freshman (I’m a big fan of our class by the way) won’t get it done. Our coach used to be ahead of his time, now he is the one getting run over by it.

I hope we win every freaking second of every game next year. I’m excited to see the new guys play. But it’s obvious Cal has lost what made him special. The man has become fat and happy and probably thinks his farts smell like a 1 & done. I’m hopeful he will snap out of this, but I’m willing to believe that’s what he is now. Out of shape and out of touch. I’m hoping to see the Cal of old before he departs our sideline.
A lot of fans have known this for a long time.....it is those fans living in fantasy land that could never face reality.

GOOOOOOOOO

RUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT