ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Mitch meeting tomorrow

heath ledger joker GIF

Some random from Indiana who likes to make really vague “in the mix for so and so,” “KY on the short list,” recruiting guesses without a lot of success (minus C Knox I guess)

Tubby got ran off and did a way better job than Cal. This is ridiculous
It’s not that simple. Tubby’s front end ‘body of work’ was nowhere near as good as Calipari’s front end. The first six or seven years of Tubby were simply not four final fours and a national title. It was one national title, then recruiting just about stopped, other than a handful of good players. With Cal , you know you’re getting top 10 recruits . It’s just a more difficult situation, overall.

Hey, Mitch!!!!

3rd worst 4 year stretch of losing in Kentucky basketball history.

52 games by Tubby Smith(25 losses in 2 seasons) and 27 by Billy Gillispie(27 losses in his 2 seasons)
49 games by Sutton(3 seasons) and Pitino(1 season, but credit should really go to Sutton)
46 games by John Calipari

It’s not that simple. Tubby’s front end ‘body of work’ was nowhere near as good as Calipari’s front end. The first six or seven years of Tubby were simply not four final fours and a national title. It was one national title, then recruiting just about stopped, other than a handful of good players. With Cal , you know you’re getting top 10 recruits . It’s just a more difficult situation, overall.
I don’t recall a coach ever dropping off so significantly in my life in any sport. I see your point but Tubbys low points weren’t this bad

Of course it is
But Calipari has all the cards
Tubby took another job and left with class. Cal can do the same and no hard feelings. He could also retire. Mitch wants to honor the contract and doesn't see a better option for HC. I cam respect that, but hope Cal retires.

Calipari will simply give top-button Barnhart a moderately menacing look upon arrival, at which time Barnhart will say something that loosely translates as follows: “Well, by golly, captain.. that sure was some bad luck running into Oakland. See you next season!”

I'm telling you.. I don't love it, but Mitch needs to incentivize him winning next year. Cal has all the power right now, he can sit there and collect his pay while having zero results for it. We the fans, and Mitch, have no leverage what-so-ever.

So, sweeten the pot.. Offer Cal an additional million if he makes a Final4, and $2mil if he wins the title. That's going to be the only way you align priorities. Make it so Cal has stake in the game, and maybe, just maybe he takes the tournament and the big games seriously. If hes heading into the tournament with a million on the line, I bet you he starts playing the right guys.

And then, do it for this year, maybe next year.. and when the buyout is low enough, pull the plug on the entire thing, regardless of his results.

I don't like the idea of Cal somehow getting MORE money out of this.. but I'd rather he get 11 million for a Final4... than 10 million for nothing. And I'd argue that UK would make the million back in generalized revenue growth, if we can get a Final4 out of it.

Reactions: Jazzycat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT