ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Mitch meeting tomorrow

McXL0Ebn_400x400.jpg

Meet Joe. Joe “has been told” about the meeting.
“May I see your receipt sir”?

I'm telling you.. I don't love it, but Mitch needs to incentivize him winning next year. Cal has all the power right now, he can sit there and collect his pay while having zero results for it. We the fans, and Mitch, have no leverage what-so-ever.

So, sweeten the pot.. Offer Cal an additional million if he makes a Final4, and $2mil if he wins the title. That's going to be the only way you align priorities. Make it so Cal has stake in the game, and maybe, just maybe he takes the tournament and the big games seriously. If hes heading into the tournament with a million on the line, I bet you he starts playing the right guys.

And then, do it for this year, maybe next year.. and when the buyout is low enough, pull the plug on the entire thing, regardless of his results.

I don't like the idea of Cal somehow getting MORE money out of this.. but I'd rather he get 11 million for a Final4... than 10 million for nothing,.
I’m more of a fan of the stick in this case than the carrot. Renegotiate the contract and bring back your core group. Otherwise there’s no incentive to keep him only more decline and still owe him 26-27 million

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Cal may have the leverage in the contract but Mitch has the leverage in Cal's quality of life.

There are many things Mitch can do as AD that gives a clear no vote of confidence to Cal, and will put Cal in a no win situation. It will come at the expense of the program but if you aren't winning the SEC, if you aren't winning the SECT and you are likely to get bounced in an early round of the NCAA tourney, then what difference does it make?

I’m more of a fan of the stick in this case than the carrot. Renegotiate the contract and bring back your core group. Otherwise there’s no incentive to keep him only more decline and still owe him 26-27 million

Im not a fan of my idea on the surface .. I only offer it as a last resort thing, because I don't think there's any leverage on our end for a renegotiation. And, I do think it can work. We need to find a way to make Cal have the chance to actually LOSE something. Right now, there's nothing. He could go winless, and it wouldn't matter.

I also think a lot of his mistakes are self inflicted, some of them on purpose and others just having the wrong priorities. I think hes becoming bad on purpose. But maybe money could change that.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Calipari will simply give top-button Barnhart a moderately menacing look upon arrival, at which time Barnhart will say something that loosely translates as follows: “Well, by golly, captain.. that sure was some bad luck running into Oakland. See you next season!”
And if he doesn't? Then what?

I'm telling you.. I don't love it, but Mitch needs to incentivize him winning next year. Cal has all the power right now, he can sit there and collect his pay while having zero results for it. We the fans, and Mitch, have no leverage what-so-ever.

So, sweeten the pot.. Offer Cal an additional million if he makes a Final4, and $2mil if he wins the title. That's going to be the only way you align priorities. Make it so Cal has stake in the game, and maybe, just maybe he takes the tournament and the big games seriously. If hes heading into the tournament with a million on the line, I bet you he starts playing the right guys.

And then, do it for this year, maybe next year.. and when the buyout is low enough, pull the plug on the entire thing, regardless of his results.

I don't like the idea of Cal somehow getting MORE money out of this.. but I'd rather he get 11 million for a Final4... than 10 million for nothing. And I'd argue that UK would make the million back in generalized revenue growth, if we can get a Final4 out of it.
Not only no but hell no. Cal cannot stay. Period.

Cal may have the leverage in the contract but Mitch has the leverage in Cal's quality of life.

There are many things Mitch can do as AD that gives a clear no vote of confidence to Cal, and will put Cal in a no win situation. It will come at the expense of the program but if you aren't winning the SEC, if you aren't winning the SECT and you are likely to get bounced in an early round of the NCAA tourney, then what difference does it make?

But I feel like no one wins here. And that's assuming Mitch isn't more or less "in bed" with Cal, which I think he might be.

Which means my idea won't happen.. but still. I'd rather give Cal the chance to make more money if he does what the fans want. And if he comes up short, then we get to at least "win" knowing he lost $1,000,000 for his shitty coaching.

Mitch isn't going to make life miserable for Cal, even if it would be fun to see. And if he did go down this route, than this just gets ugly. Ugly in a way that's probably not going to look good for us fans either.

Not only no but hell no. Cal cannot stay. Period.

I feel like you're the 5th person I had to tell this to tonight:

We don't have that choice. You guys get that right? We're stuck. We have to think of realistic options. I'd love to go break his kneecaps, but we can't do that. So let's move onto the things we can do.

• Haha
Reactions: Midway Cat
Im not a fan of my idea on the surface .. I only offer it as a last resort thing, because I don't think there's any leverage on our end for a renegotiation. And, I do think it can work. We need to find a way to make Cal have the chance to actually LOSE something. Right now, there's nothing. He could go winless, and it wouldn't matter.

I also think a lot of his mistakes are self inflicted, some of them on purpose and others just having the wrong priorities. I think hes becoming bad on purpose. But maybe money could change that.
Yeah the only leverage is if cal absolutely wants to be in Lexington. Barney has put us in a position with cal holding all the cards. That’s why Id give the ultimatum or move on. There’s just no time to know if cal can retain even one player from this roster. You know how it goes. We have no idea what’s happening until June with returners. Reed could come out with cal in a presser though and say he’s staying that’s possible. That’s been talked about a lot this weekend at the sweet sixteen.

My sources tell me Calipari will step down or be fired at some point. Could be this year or in ten years but it will happen.

And this is a good source. He knows more than Barnhart does

But I feel like no one wins here. And that's assuming Mitch isn't more or less "in bed" with Cal, which I think he might be.

Which means my idea won't happen.. but still. I'd rather give Cal the chance to make more money if he does what the fans want. And if he comes up short, then we get to at least "win" knowing he lost $1,000,000 for his shitty coaching.

Mitch isn't going to make life miserable for Cal, even if it would be fun to see. And if he did go down this route, than this just gets ugly. Ugly in a way that's probably not going to look good for us fans either.
I have yet to see a situation where throwing money at people causing problems ever works. And you don’t reward bad behavior or you end up setting a bad precedent for newer ADs and coaches to follow.

If he stays how bout doing a $1 mill deduct if no SEC champ and a $2 mill deduct if no F4 from from his present salary? I like this incentive better than add to win.
Or. Hear me out….

He’s made a 100 million since his last title.
How about he pay the university back 10 mil every year he doesn’t win a title

Yeah the only leverage is if cal absolutely wants to be in Lexington. Barney has put us in a position with cal holding all the cards. That’s why Id give the ultimatum or move on. There’s just no time to know if cal can retain even one player from this roster. You know how it goes. We have no idea what’s happening until June with returners. Reed could come out with cal in a presser though and say he’s staying that’s possible. That’s been talked about a lot this weekend at the sweet sixteen.

I mean, that is true.. we don't know what the players are going to do. I have to imagine we are losing at least 5-6 for NBA/transfers/graduation. Maybe more. But, we still don't know who has issues with Cal and who doesn't. While we all wanted Reed to start, it sure seems he was fine not starting, and his apprehensive play all season backed that up.

What sort of ultimatum can we even give Cal though? We clearly can't do the buyout. Cal would have to agree to take less, and he's just not likely to do that.

I'll say this

there are too many normally reserved people on twitter when it comes to Cal just setting him on fire right now. I think they know and its knives out

Reactions: EliteBlue
I have yet to see a situation where throwing money at people causing problems ever works. And you don’t reward bad behavior or you end up setting a bad precedent for newer ADs and coaches to follow.

Well it could be an under the table deal.. and honestly, that's probably how it would be done. A verbal agreement.

Redgardless, my counter is: What's 1 million more, of money that isn't ours anyways? Again, I go back to this: I'd rather have Cal make 10% more if it means WE get a Final 4.. than if Cal makes his full salary and we get nothing. And on the reverse end of it, I'd love to know that when the final buzzer sounds on another opening weekend exit, Cal just lost $1,000,000, and is feeling worse than probably anyone.

I mean, that is true.. we don't know what the players are going to do. I have to imagine we are losing at least 5-6 for NBA/transfers/graduation. Maybe more. But, we still don't know who has issues with Cal and who doesn't. While we all wanted Reed to start, it sure seems he was fine not starting, and his apprehensive play all season backed that up.

What sort of ultimatum can we even give Cal though? We clearly can't do the buyout. Cal would have to agree to take less, and he's just not likely to do that.

Why are you certain we can’t do the buyout? I’m not implying we will or won’t. But i certainly think it’s a possibility if certain people definitely want him gone.

I hope everyone reading this knows the guy who posted this also said Ohio St. and Michigan reached out to Cal. Which was never mentioned by the people with real sources. He’s full of 💩 just hoping something will stick
If this is true and it’s hard not to think it isn’t, there will be some discussion and Mitch comes out with a somewhat apologetic approach saying that we need to steer the program in a different direction, things haven’t gone as was planned… etc… etc…

Next season becomes a wash, rinse, repeat. Can’t believe anything changes until Cal checks his ego and understand that his philosophy isn’t this programs answer… and that ain’t gonna happen. Anyone wanna bet or give me an over or under?

Or. Hear me out….

He’s made a 100 million since his last title.
How about he pay the university back 10 mil every year he doesn’t win a title

You're thinking like me.. but the problem is, we can't take what isn't ours. We can only offer more for results.

Of course it is
But Calipari has all the cards
Totally disagree with this. If UK fires Calipari, he is required under the contract to act in good faith to mitigate UK's obligation to pay the liquidated damages. If he is notified by UK's legal staff of open and available Division I coaching positions and declines to apply, he defaults and UK quits paying.

Why are you certain we can’t do the buyout? I’m not implying we will or won’t. But i certainly think it’s a possibility if certain people definitely want him gone.

I'm not. Maybe it can happen, That's what I'm hoping for. But, it seems unlikely. That's a lot of money, and from everything we are hearing, it's just unlikely to happen unless Cal feels like giving up a lot on his end.

Or how about this.. my other idea is that we do the buyout and hire a coach from the best midmajor this year for $2mil. Have him steal all his players and coach some of our holdovers. If he sucks, we fire him in 2 years and go for the big hire. The money kind of washes out at that point, and maybe we get a coach for the future.

Stupid question but this is getting exhausting. Do we even know for sure his job is in jeopardy at this point? Are there any for sure 100% accurate sources at this time that meetings or decisions are coming? I’m just not seeing or hearing any concrete evidence right now.

If this is true and it’s hard not to think it isn’t, there will be some discussion and Mitch comes out with a somewhat apologetic approach saying that we need to steer the program in a different direction, things haven’t gone as was planned… etc… etc…

Next season becomes a wash, rinse, repeat. Can’t believe anything changes until Cal checks his ego and understand that his philosophy isn’t this programs answer… and that ain’t gonna happen. Anyone wanna bet or give me an over or under?

I think he’s gone. But i wouldn’t lay money on it. My main gripe is I think Mitch should be gone too.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
McXL0Ebn_400x400.jpg

Meet Joe. Joe “has been told” about the meeting.
This is the same dude that tweeted out that Ohio St has been in contact with Cal when they hired a FREAKIN coach 6 days ago!!!

Why would anyone trust what he says????!!!

Totally disagree with this. If UK fires Calipari, he is required under the contract to act in good faith to mitigate UK's obligation to pay the liquidated damages. If he is notified by UK's legal staff of open and available Division I coaching positions and declines to apply, he defaults and UK quits paying.

As someone going through legal jargon on a few land deals... there is just WAY too much grey area in that. Not that the two are the same things.. but I can already tell Cal's side will argue that these weren't good jobs, they didn't meet criteria, he inquired but it wasn't mutual, yadda yadda yadda. I like the theory, but don't think it will mean anything in practice. We'd never prove that Cal just declined offers, and his legal team will know all the loop holes.

I could be wrong though.

I just posted this in another thread. I believe the after season meeting is something Barney does with all the head coaches. I hope it’s more than that though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT