ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Mitch meeting tomorrow

I'm telling you.. I don't love it, but Mitch needs to incentivize him winning next year. Cal has all the power right now, he can sit there and collect his pay while having zero results for it. We the fans, and Mitch, have no leverage what-so-ever.

So, sweeten the pot.. Offer Cal an additional million if he makes a Final4, and $2mil if he wins the title. That's going to be the only way you align priorities. Make it so Cal has stake in the game, and maybe, just maybe he takes the tournament and the big games seriously. If hes heading into the tournament with a million on the line, I bet you he starts playing the right guys.

And then, do it for this year, maybe next year.. and when the buyout is low enough, pull the plug on the entire thing, regardless of his results.

I don't like the idea of Cal somehow getting MORE money out of this.. but I'd rather he get 11 million for a Final4... than 10 million for nothing. And I'd argue that UK would make the million back in generalized revenue growth, if we can get a Final4 out of it.
Lol

Totally disagree with this. If UK fires Calipari, he is required under the contract to act in good faith to mitigate UK's obligation to pay the liquidated damages. If he is notified by UK's legal staff of open and available Division I coaching positions and declines to apply, he defaults and UK quits paying.
It's not even close to that easy to get out of the buyout. Cal could easily say "I'm burned out from such a high pressure environment I need a few years off." Never has a buyout been contingent on a fired coach 100% being hired the next year.

But I feel like no one wins here. And that's assuming Mitch isn't more or less "in bed" with Cal, which I think he might be.

Which means my idea won't happen.. but still. I'd rather give Cal the chance to make more money if he does what the fans want. And if he comes up short, then we get to at least "win" knowing he lost $1,000,000 for his shitty coaching.

Mitch isn't going to make life miserable for Cal, even if it would be fun to see. And if he did go down this route, than this just gets ugly. Ugly in a way that's probably not going to look good for us fans either.
Giving Cal more money is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen on this board

I'm telling you.. I don't love it, but Mitch needs to incentivize him winning next year. Cal has all the power right now, he can sit there and collect his pay while having zero results for it. We the fans, and Mitch, have no leverage what-so-ever.

So, sweeten the pot.. Offer Cal an additional million if he makes a Final4, and $2mil if he wins the title. That's going to be the only way you align priorities. Make it so Cal has stake in the game, and maybe, just maybe he takes the tournament and the big games seriously. If hes heading into the tournament with a million on the line, I bet you he starts playing the right guys.

And then, do it for this year, maybe next year.. and when the buyout is low enough, pull the plug on the entire thing, regardless of his results.

I don't like the idea of Cal somehow getting MORE money out of this.. but I'd rather he get 11 million for a Final4... than 10 million for nothing. And I'd argue that UK would make the million back in generalized revenue growth, if we can get a Final4 out of it.
Yes clearly the first 75 million he made wasn’t quite good enough to get past the first round consistently so we should definitely give him more.

Maybe I’m a sucker for the blue check mark but WHO is Joe Adams?
4a7a7cad-e3a5-4be2-860a-a9e586514f1e_text.gif

I mean, that is true.. we don't know what the players are going to do. I have to imagine we are losing at least 5-6 for NBA/transfers/graduation. Maybe more. But, we still don't know who has issues with Cal and who doesn't. While we all wanted Reed to start, it sure seems he was fine not starting, and his apprehensive play all season backed that up.

What sort of ultimatum can we even give Cal though? We clearly can't do the buyout. Cal would have to agree to take less, and he's just not likely to do that.
What do you mean we can’t do the buy out? The money is there. I know it’s there I’ll put it that way. Not to mention the money is not a lump sum payment and there is an offset when cal takes another job. He’s not done coaching

So here are the options
Fire Cal
Try to save some money by negotiating a 50% buyout with cal resigning to save face (this would be amicable and the best result)
Try to save some money by giving cal an ultimatum to renegotiate or you’re fired now. That’s if cal wants to stay on at UK.

I think it’s less about the money and more about Barney’s ego. He doesn’t want to admit more failure. Don’t let him fool you that dude is very full of himself his ego is no less than Cals.

Like I said before we have a coach who won’t resign and an AD who doesn’t want to pay a buyout but everyone knows there has to be a separation. Everyone even cal and Barney. Either they compromise or both need to hit the bricks. You are what your last results were. For cal failure losing to crappy Oakland with his most talented team since 2015. For barney his last result is strapping the university with a ridiculous buyout. If Cals still here next week that’s an indicator to me that Barney is going to do what all successful politicians do. Retire and Leave the mess for the next guy. Is that good for us? Hell no but regardless of what happens both men’s reps are ruined at UK. People are afraid to admit it on barney because they fear losing their privileges whether it’s tickets, access or what not. And not necessarily to bb but fb. They don’t want Barney to see their name opposed to him in anyway. I’m not talking fans I’m talking donors. I’m friends with a big donor and he wouldn’t even call for cal to go until the national media started in on him. Once it became evident to him barney was contemplating it and the money was there he has gone full blown anti cal. He won’t say a bad thing about Barney but we are life long friends and I know how he thinks. He wouldn’t have the job he does if he spoke his mind.

Reactions: Fox2monk
What do you mean we can’t do the buy out? The money is there. I know it’s there I’ll put it that way. Not to mention the money is not a lump sum payment and there is an offset when cal takes another job. He’s not done coaching

So here are the options
Fire Cal
Try to save some money by negotiating a 50% buyout with cal resigning to save face (this would be amicable and the best result)
Try to save some money by giving cal an ultimatum to renegotiate or you’re fired now. That’s if cal wants to stay on at UK.

I think it’s less about the money and more about Barney’s ego. He doesn’t want to admit more failure. Don’t let him fool you that dude is very full of himself his ego is no less than Cals.

Like I said before we have a coach who won’t resign and an AD who doesn’t want to pay a buyout but everyone knows there has to be a separation. Everyone even cal and Barney. Either they compromise or both need to hit the bricks. You are what your last results were. For cal failure losing to crappy Oakland with his most talented team since 2015. For barney his last result is strapping the university with a ridiculous buyout. If Cals still here next week that’s an indicator to me that Barney is going to do what all successful politicians do. Retire and Leave the mess for the next guy. Is that good for us? Hell no but regardless of what happens both men’s reps are ruined at UK. People are afraid to admit it on barney because they fear losing their privileges whether it’s tickets, access or what not. And not necessarily to bb but fb. They don’t want Barney to see their name opposed to him in anyway. I’m not talking fans I’m talking donors. I’m friends with a big donor and he wouldn’t even call for cal to go until the national media started in on him. Once it became evident to him barney was contemplating it and the money was there he has gone full blown anti cal. He won’t say a bad thing about Barney but we are life long friends and I know how he thinks. He wouldn’t have the job he does if he spoke his mind.

Just because the money is there, doesn't mean it can be used in this fashion, or is desired to be used.

He's not going to do a 50% buyout. Would you? Not an option, even if it's the right thing in our eyes. He truly believes he is owed that money and hes not going to take a 50% pay cut.

At the end of the day, Cal is owned 30-some-odd millions of dollars. No one is able to pay that. So what do we do?

Just because the money is there, doesn't mean it can be used in this fashion, or is desired to be used.

He's not going to do a 50% buyout. Would you? Not an option, even if it's the right thing in our eyes. He truly believes he is owed that money and hes not going to take a 50% pay cut.

At the end of the day, Cal is owned 30-some-odd millions of dollars. No one is able to pay that. So what do we do?
Again you do understand none of that is due upfront right and there is a offset in his contract

It is this simple. If Cal can't put the UK program first and foremost over everything else then he just needs to pack his bags and move on. My one and only question is will you put the program first? If he says no then fire him right there. No need to talk any further.

Listen clearly. The money for the buyout is there. Not just money but specifically to end Cals tenure the money is there.

Why would cal take 50% buyout without an offset? First he won’t be fired from UK and join Bcg. Second he can believe it or not make more $$$$$ taking a negotiated settlement. Let’s say we give him 18 million to leave, clean break and all. Monday he can go take the job at Michigan vandy wherever and make 6 mil a year. So what’s left on his contract? 5 years right? So taking that job he makes 30 million plus the negotiated buyout of 18. That’s 48 million. He stays at UK through his contract he makes 45. He gets fired and takes the 33 million that will be the max he can get and actually it will be less when he takes another job. So taking a 50% buyout with no offset just to end it will make him MORE money than staying through his contract. If it’s about money to him it’s a no brainer to negotiate a buyout and move in to the next job. He already has his players he’s not going to go jobless.

Me? I would take the 50% buyout and move on. Less hassle. Fans may love you again here maybe get his name in the rafters. AND if you play you cards right you break even or make more than the last 5 years.

I wasn't supposed to say anything but the meeting is about Kentucky's new practice facility. Cal finally convinced Mitch that you can't win 1 game in the NCAA tournament without the best of everything for the players.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
If Cal is back he's got the shortest leash imaginable. Not only does he need to beat Duke to start the season he needs to beat them soundly.

I wasn't supposed to say anything but the meeting is about Kentucky's new practice facility. Cal finally convinced Mitch that you can't win 1 game in the NCAA tournament without the best of everything for the players.
I thought the meeting was about his nba all stars donating 15 million to his new nil fund?

Reactions: catzfanjim
0% chance they meet tomorrow. It’s Sunday ffs. Both of these fools would think they would burn in h*ll, if they met tomorrow.

Listen clearly. The money for the buyout is there. Not just money but specifically to end Cals tenure the money is there.

Why would cal take 50% buyout without an offset? First he won’t be fired from UK and join Bcg. Second he can believe it or not make more $$$$$ taking a negotiated settlement. Let’s say we give him 18 million to leave, clean break and all. Monday he can go take the job at Michigan vandy wherever and make 6 mil a year. So what’s left on his contract? 5 years right? So taking that job he makes 30 million plus the negotiated buyout of 18. That’s 48 million. He stays at UK through his contract he makes 45. He gets fired and takes the 33 million that will be the max he can get and actually it will be less when he takes another job. So taking a 50% buyout with no offset just to end it will make him MORE money than staying through his contract. If it’s about money to him it’s a no brainer to negotiate a buyout and move in to the next job. He already has his players he’s not going to go jobless.

Me? I would take the 50% buyout and move on. Less hassle. Fans may love you again here maybe get his name in the rafters. AND if you play you cards right you break even or make more than the last 5 years.

Lol.

Just because "the money is there" doesn't mean that is how it's desired to be used. And I don't think either of us are all that privy to the budgeting situation of this contract and the buyout. We're just speculating. (Or i'm speculating, you, as always, seem to just "know").

The only way the buyout works in this situation is if a bigger program, a la a Michigan or a Vandy, wants him. And I just don't see them paying him more than a few million. It's not like he has a great image at this point. If hes the worst coach in D1, why is someone going to pay him anything other than bottom dweller D1 money?

Again you do understand none of that is due upfront right and there is a offset in his contract

I understand it's not all due up front. But I'm not sure what that matters. So it's spread out? It's still being paid at some point.

We will see how it goes.. But I think it's going to take Cal agreeing to a lesser stipend, for him to leave.. and that is likely only happening if some program hires him for a several year multi-mil deal.. something else I dont see happening.

It’s not that simple. Tubby’s front end ‘body of work’ was nowhere near as good as Calipari’s front end. The first six or seven years of Tubby were simply not four final fours and a national title. It was one national title, then recruiting just about stopped, other than a handful of good players. With Cal , you know you’re getting top 10 recruits . It’s just a more difficult situation, overall.
Tubby with 3 elite 8's and a title..........cal 3 final fours (one runner up) and a title..... so thats basically Cal did 4 games better there...... the difference in winning just 4 more games.......

How in the hell does those 4 games difference equal "nowhere near" in your mind? but you ignore tubby never missed the NCAAT and never had a 1st round loss.

Reactions: dl51344 and TM2013
Lol.

Just because "the money is there" doesn't mean that is how it's desired to be used. And I don't think either of us are all that privy to the budgeting situation of this contract and the buyout. We're just speculating. (Or i'm speculating, you, as always, seem to just "know").

The only way the buyout works in this situation is if a bigger program, a la a Michigan or a Vandy, wants him. And I just don't see them paying him more than a few million. It's not like he has a great image at this point. If hes the worst coach in D1, why is someone going to pay him anything other than bottom dweller D1 money?
Cals market value is easily 6 million. Hof coach, finals fours, a title, no recent infractions, great for the community, etc etc. Just needs a change of scenery. He’s an urban Meyer of cbb. Stackhouse for instance was making 4 mil plus at vandy. Hadn’t accomplished squat. You don’t think they would pay 5 or 6 for cal? I mean they are paying 20 million to buy stack out so they want to win.” And now.

The first part I will address for the last time. Donors have been approached to buy cal out and the money is there for the buyout. Now go back. Look at my math again and tell me why cal would hold on to this job when he’s not wanted for what will come out as a wash by the end of his current contract. Why would cal not? That’s for you to answer

Cals market value is easily 6 million. Hof coach, finals fours, a title, no recent infractions, great for the community, etc etc. Just needs a change of scenery. He’s an urban Meyer of

The first part I will address for the last time. Donors have been approached to buy cal out and the money is there for the buyout. Now go back. Look at my math again and tell me why cal would hold on to this job when he’s not wanted for what will come out as a wash by the end of his current contract. Why would cal not? That’s for you to answer
Someone’s feeling himself tonight, ain’t he?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Cals market value is easily 6 million. Hof coach, finals fours, a title, no recent infractions, great for the community, etc etc. Just needs a change of scenery. He’s an urban Meyer of cbb. Stackhouse for instance was making 4 mil plus at vandy. Hadn’t accomplished squat. You don’t think they would pay 5 or 6 for cal? I mean they are paying 20 million to buy stack out so they want to win.” And now.

Man idk if I agree with that. Idk who is paying a mid 60s guy 6mil after what they've seen this year.

Well if the donors are there, then the buyout will be done tomorrow. Or if not tomorrow soon. You staking your reputation on these buyers?

On Palm Sunday nonetheless. 😂😂😂😭😭😭😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
Historically, it was more likely that Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on a Monday, so it would technically be Palm Monday, so Barnie is good to go.

I agree that’s what most of us would do. Guys like Cal and Pitino are just built different. Heck Pitino was gonna stay at UL despite all the embarrassing allegations until he was forced out by a new AD. Those guys think they’re bigger than the university itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcats1st
Tubby with 3 elite 8's and a title..........cal 3 final fours (one runner up) and a title..... so thats basically Cal did 4 games better there...... the difference in winning just 4 more games.......

How in the hell does those 4 games difference equal "nowhere near" in your mind? but you ignore tubby never missed the NCAAT and never had a 1st round loss.
I want Cal gone

But if you’re counting tubbys E8s then you have to count Cal’s as well.

2010-E8
2011-F4
2012-Champ
2014-runner up
2015-Final 4
2017-E8
2019-E8
—Lifetime Contract
Downfall starts

So it isn’t just “he won 3 more games”. He matched Tubbys 3 E8 and a title….and went to 3 (2 If only counting where the season ends) additional F4s and a title game. Those non E8 seasons for Tub were S16s and R32…so tubby wasn’t offered an insurmountable contract (I always wondered if Tubbys results were the exact same but you swap the title year later in his tenure w a S16 for year 1, or if won of those E8s would have been a F4 how long he would have stayed at Uk. But we were going on a decade without a F4 and it was time.

Unfortunately Cals contract made sense at the time but immediately aligned with the fall of the empire. The contract would have been survivable if we got 2-3 more good years before the fall off.

I want Cal gone

But if you’re counting tubbys E8s then you have to count Cal’s as well.

2010-E8
2011-F4
2012-Champ
2014-runner up
2015-Final 4
2017-E8
2019-E8
—Lifetime Contract
Downfall starts

So it isn’t just “he won 3 more games”. He matched Tubbys 3 E8 and a title….and went to 3 (2 If only counting where the season ends) additional F4s and a title game. Those non E8 seasons for Tub were S16s and R32…so tubby wasn’t offered an insurmountable contract (I always wondered if Tubbys results were the exact same but you swap the title year later in his tenure w a S16 for year 1, or if won of those E8s would have been a F4 how long he would have stayed at Uk. But we were going on a decade without a F4 and it was time.

Unfortunately Cals contract made sense at the time but immediately aligned with the fall of the empire. The contract would have been survivable if we got 2-3 more good years before the fall off.
cal coached 4 more years than Tubby. its not exactly fair comparison for Tubby. The 3 more elite 8's for Cal is overwhelmingly crushed by the weight of Cal's 2 missed tournaments and 2 first round losses

Sundays aren’t the sabbath but that’s for another time

Btw if barney does nothing he is as toothless as they come. You give cal an ultimatum renegotiate the contract and bring the buyout to 5 mil or hit the bricks.

The Lord has given us a direct commandment in these days that we too should honor Sunday, the Lord's day, as our Sabbath (see D&C 59:12).

My thing is the conversation should’ve been had right after

I agree that’s what most of us would do. Guys like Cal and Pitino are just built different. Heck Pitino was gonna stay at UL despite all the embarrassing allegations until he was forced out by a new AD. Those guys think they’re bigger than the university itself.
Ego is a bigger player in this than money. I know all the cal loyalist keep saying there’s no money for a buyout. He probably pays them 50 cents per post

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Where do people find these random Twitter people and take their word as gospel?! Lol

Nothing changes. They meet after the conclusion of each season. Probably the only time they meet each year.
Some “statement” will be released, but basically a repeat of last two years.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Cal will promise to bring in a good defensive coach to go along with his offensive coach in Welch,
At some point, you just go out and get a new 9 million a year coach who can actually do the job you are paying him handsomely to do.
Mitch needs to understand that getting rid of Calipari now is his lifeline. Wait for another year of failure and he's going with Calipari. It takes 15 seasons for Mitch to figure this out when NO other coach had this much leeway for failure. I get it, Mitch signed an asinine contract with Cal. But that is Mitch's creation, and his problem to solve. So solve it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT