ADVERTISEMENT

Cal admits to protecting feelings over winning games

Reed & Rob played the 2nd and 4th most minutes on this team. And frankly I think Rob's foul issues limited his minutes more than Cal did. And Reeves played the most, which I have no issue with.

So starting .... big effing deal. I think we fans care more than the players do.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: K_TIME and KFuqua
Reed & Rob played the 2nd and 4th most minutes on this team. And frankly I think Rob's foul issues limited his minutes more than Cal did. And Reeves played the most, which I have no issue with.

So starting .... big effing deal. I think we fans care more than the players do.
Starting matters in that it is the only point in the game with clean slate. It is before injuries and fouls can occur. You can guarantee your best can be on the floor together. We, for no reason at all, played a crappy lineup combination for 5-8 minutes a game when we didn’t have to play it in the first place.

The two most important times in a basketball game are the first five minutes and the last five minutes. You need the best 5 players you have available on the floor at those times. You and Cal are the only two people who see different from that as every other coach of every team sport starts their best players and ends with their best players.

An argument can be made for your 3rd/4th best player to six man like manu did for the Spurs, but it’s unheard of for your two of your 3 best players to come off the bench. Never been done before Cal. And we see why now. Can’t argue with the results

Last edited:
I so wish that there was only half that amount left on the contract. Cal's still not out of the woods yet. There might be a chance that if the team is appearing to be a lock for the ncaa tournament, and he's still doing the NBA-draft-pick-favoritism crap, they might fire him before the tournament to try and salvage things.
My BIGGEST problem with Mitch is that he could hold Cal's feet to the fire by making him fulfill EVERY aspect of his contract!!! No more skipping out on Press Conferences, no more disparaging fans and media with his little quips and "Basketball Benny" comments. Giving out pertinent info on player injuries and stop with the SNIDE remarks. Place the program PAYING you above all else.

By making Cal abide by the contract, Mitch could at least get back some control over Cal's SORRINESS!!!

I would agree with you if it weren't a FACT that this team with that starting lineup was the LEAST efficient 5 playing together on this team AND we started SLOOOOWWWWW too many times using those starters.

I have NEVER seen a coach that doesn't start his BEST players!!!

We were HAMMERED for speaking this truth during the season. The UKBB4EVER and his ilk.

EDIT: and not only that, but let this be a REMINDER going forward that any time Cal plays a freshman 1min or 40, this is what Cal's decision-making is really about. Not about the game in hand. Not about developing for a championship. DRAFT PICK STATUS.
Where is that idiot anyway. He preached all year that only crazy people on this board were unhappy with Cal . Sure been a lot of drama going on if that was true, lol .

Cal is selling his soul to the devil when he gets these "top recruits". The promises he has to make and keep to get them are killing us. Their status as starters is cemented before they ever step foot on campus. And the guys on the bench who don't have this "favorite" status never seem to develop because they never get any meaningful minutes in which to learn and grow. Thus, they transfer out once they see the writing on the wall. This "given not earned" bullshit needs to stop NOW! It is program cancer.

Well, it puts you in a hole early with a weaker starting five.

"I can't hide you!". Unless you're Wagner and Edwards, then don't worry about it, you'll start no matter what.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Thanks Cow for protecting your snowflakes.
Lose Willy Wonka GIF

Yeah, it's a 'big effing deal' when these teams build up early leads and get beer muscles. They are up 8-10 by the first media timeout and once Kentucky got punched in the mouth, can't come back. Cal is the only coach in America that would bench two projected lottery picks like Reed & Dillingham. You get down big and can't come back. Season ends. Saw how well not starting your best players worked out in the NCAA & SEC Tournament among many more games throughout the season. To say it doesn't matter, may as well draw names out of a cap to determine the starting 5 like Billy Martin would do with the Yankees.

My mind just goes back to Juzang and Hopkins. What about their mental health?
Speaking of mental health, have you considered taking a break for while? I dont think you can go an hour without obsessing about Cal or something derogatory about UK.

Your life cant be this bad.

Soft- players and the coach. Thought all along DJ and Edwards were not bought in on the success of the team over their personal agendas.
They played as hard and selfless as anyone on the team. Because they struggled at times don't mean they weren't about the team

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
They played as hard and selfless as anyone on the team. Because they struggled at times don't mean they weren't about the team
Starting DJ and Edwards was a gamble that didn't pay off simple and plain.
Had nothing to do with Klutch.
Had nothing to do with draft stock.
You can't fool NBA scouts by starting a particular player.
As far as Klutch, only Justin and Aaron are with them.
Do you think they told Cal to protect Justin at all cost but do whatever the hell you want with Bradshaw?

Hopefully Mitch was taking notes last night so when they sit down for their meeting today. He can confront Cal with why didn’t you put winning ahead once again Cal because the school is paying you to win games for the school. Then hopefully it’s gets messy from there and Mitch grows a pair and fires his a$$!!! This has been a repeated cycle for years!!!!!

It is not about their feelings. It is about their finances.
Cal has sold out winning games to ending generational poverty for 2 or 3 favored players every year.

It has to stop..
He made promises to get these guys here, if he doesn’t play them word gets out and makes it harder for him to recruit. These guys have enough athleticism and talent that anyone could have gotten them into the league, ending generational poverty is just another catch phrase Cal has locked onto. Problem is people buy in to his crap.

Why isn't he ever worried about protecting the feelings of the fans?

But I don't believe this quote from him. I think the starting roles were promised.

But if it is true, this is just another example of older, experienced people like Cal enabling the decline of the younger generations by not correcting and challenging them.

Beyond all the usual dumb decisions, the lineup stuff is what really made me furious. He sacrificed a poor start to each half solely to play his guys. He knew full well that we'd either fall behind or be sluggish, but he didn't care.

It was bad enough during the regular season but unforgivable in the post season. Especially so vs Oakland because they played slow and cut the game, so possessions were incredibly valuable and we needed to jump out and kill their confidence. Instead we built their confidence and sacrificed a slow start each half (probably 10 total possessions) which is so egregious it's hard to put into words.

Cal is literally the only coach who would do that. Literally no one else would put their team at risk of losing solely to placate two guys.

Wagner sucked ass all year other than like what...2 or 3 games? You can't shoot and you think you're a star. Good luck and **** off.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Burks has a long way to go to be a legit SF
Kinda unfair to dump on Karter before he has ever played a game.
I seen enough from Burks to say the only thing he needs is an offseason of weight training. He has a nose for the ball and he is extremely long and skilled for his position with tremendous upside. If Karter is anything like his brother Ill pass.

My BIGGEST problem with Mitch is that he could hold Cal's feet to the fire by making him fulfill EVERY aspect of his contract!!! No more skipping out on Press Conferences, no more disparaging fans and media with his little quips and "Basketball Benny" comments. Giving out pertinent info on player injuries and stop with the SNIDE remarks. Place the program PAYING you above all else.

By making Cal abide by the contract, Mitch could at least get back some control over Cal's SORRINESS!!!
Mitch would need asteel rod shoved up his behind and a testicular transplant before he could do anything.

This mentality is so ass backwards from the way things used to be.

Old school coaches thought taking a guy’s starting spot was a way to motivate him, get him to work harder and focus on winning the spot back. But I guess now we assume they’re such fragile delicate little flowers that they’ll just quit trying if they don’t start?

Personally, I think there’s more to it than that, and it has to do with recruiting promises Cal made to certain players (and their agents) to get their commitment.

If any other mid level boss admitted that he or she gave favoritism to certain workers, while more deserving workers were being treated with less, they would be gone the day that was found out, for just that alone!

Unless the guy who can fire you or force a resignation is as guilty as you are!

This mentality is so ass backwards from the way things used to be.

Old school coaches thought taking a guy’s starting spot was a way to motivate him, get him to work harder and focus on winning the spot back. But I guess now we assume they’re such fragile delicate little flowers that they’ll just quit trying if they don’t start?

Personally, I think there’s more to it than that, and it has to do with recruiting promises Cal made to certain players (and their agents) to get their commitment.
Oh it's definitely a recruiting promise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT