ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk about feelings and toughness

rollsroyce8420

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
If you have a player or players that you’re worried will get down or check out if they get taken out of the starting line-up, then they are either a me first over team guy or so fragile that they aren’t going to be able to help you when the pressure is on. It’s time to put the team first over the feelings of 1 or 2 people. To start what the analytical data says is the second least efficient line-up possible because someone might get their feelings hurt is a dis-service to every other player on the team.

Reactions: KFuqua
If you have a player or players that you’re worried will get down or check out if they get taken out of the starting line-up, then they are either a me first over team guy or so fragile that they aren’t going to be able to help you when the pressure is on. It’s time to put the team first over the feelings of 1 or 2 people. To start what the analytical data says is the second least efficient line-up possible because someone might get their feelings hurt is a dis-service to every other player on the team.
We have zero me first type players this season. In the past we have, this team isn't like that at all. Makes this post a very odd thing to post.

We have zero me first type players this season. In the past we have, this team isn't like that at all. Makes this post a very odd thing to post.
I agree with you about the players, BUT... then why will JVC constantly his least efficient lineup?

If it’s odd, and it’s not a “Can’t take their heart” situation. Then why are we starting every game and every half with a line-up that is proven to be one of the worst we can put out there?
I don't know why Cal starts Wagner and the lineups he starts. I do know it isn't over hurt feelings or jealousy. That I can assure you isn't the reason. Wagner, Bradshaw, Edwards and everyone else on this team are TEAM players. They cheer each other on and genuinely want to see each other succeed. Any other narrative is simply false. UGO slid in the starting lineup over Bradshaw it has changed throughout the year. Cal does what Cal does for his own reasons, but it isn't about hurt feelings.

I mostly agree, but Cal still isn’t treating them that way.

I mostly agree, but Cal still isn’t treating them that way.
Like I said, I don't know Cals reasons. Just cutting the false narrative of it being egos or jealousy being the reason off. Players can't help who Cal starts or the lineups he plays. They can be great teammates though which they are.

There has been almost zero lockeroom issues with this team. A few guys have been down at points this year but it was due to lack of performance not due to others playing more than them etc. So they were simply down on themselves. Team chemistry is off the charts, which bodes well moving forward.

Reactions: awf
Then why are we starting every game and every half with a line-up that is proven to be one of the worst we can put out there?
That's a good question. Some posters on this board don't think it's a problem but it's a major problem in my opinion and something that could cost us in the tournament

That's a good question. Some posters on this board don't think it's a problem but it's a major problem in my opinion and something that could cost us in the tournament
I just can't understand the people who claim it's not a problem. I don't understand why you wouldn't start the game with your best lineup and try to take the lead (or at least keep from falling way behind) from the jump. It just makes no sense to me. I get that Cal has made promises to some players and their handlers, but that's just another reason that I think he's a horrible coach and needs to go.

My feelings are that this team isn't near tough enough(I'm not sure 5% more would be enough) they have the finesse to win it all but not the grit.

Reactions: $Z71$
My feelings are that this team isn't near tough enough(I'm not sure 5% more would be enough) they have the finesse to win it all but not the grit.
Agreed, mental toughness is not high on the list of several on our lineup this year.

I'm talking toughness on the court and in game.

I just can't understand the people who claim it's not a problem. I don't understand why you wouldn't start the game with your best lineup and try to take the lead (or at least keep from falling way behind) from the jump. It just makes no sense to me. I get that Cal has made promises to some players and their handlers, but that's just another reason that I think he's a horrible coach and needs to go.
Just FYI...

In the last 11 games, UK is 1-3 when Reed starts - and the only win came against Vandy, worst team in the SEC
Reed started against Gonzaga, UK was down 11-4 at the first timeout
Reed started gainst Tennessee, UK was down 13-3 at the first timeout
Reed and Rob are both EXCELLING as players coming off the bench. And if you think promises were made, which I'm sure you have no proof of, then it would reason that Aaron Bradshaw (top 5 recruit) was made the same promise - but you don't see him starting, right?

Maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff collectively agree that Reed and Rob play best when coming off the bench. And the team operates best. Who knows, but I'm sure the collective coaching staff and players haver far more insight on this than do posters on here

• Haha
In the last 11 games, UK is 1-3 when Reed starts - and the only win came against Vandy, worst team in the SEC
I keep seeing this but I don't think it tells the whole story. As a coach you should start and play your best players the most minutes for the best chance to win. Our best guards are Shep, Dilly and Reeves. They should all start and get more minutes than Wagner. Ugo should also come off the bench and get less minutes than Z. Then you put Edwards, Thiero or Mitchell at the four spot.

What's Kentucky's record in games in which Wagner didn't play? 0-3? Maybe having him in the starting line-up isn't the giant drag that the Rafters herd mentality, which has decided to elevate one kid and tear down another, believes it to be.

And some players are better off the bench. Two of the past three Kentucky champions (1998 and 2012) got massive contributions from a guy off the bench: Heshimu Evans and Darius Miller. You could throw in Ron Mercer in 1996, and for the hell of it James Lee in 1978. I've seen nothing that suggests it has hurt Kentucky to have Reed Sheppard get his 35 minutes -- as he did at Mississippi State -- starting at minute 4 instead of minute 1.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this but I don't think it tells the whole story. As a coach you should start and play your best players the most minutes for the best chance to win. Our best guards are Shep, Dilly and Reeves. They should all start and get more minutes than Wagner. Ugo should also come off the bench and get less minutes than Z. Then you put Edwards, Thiero or Mitchell at the four spot.
Shep and Reeves do get more minutes that Wagner. Dilly more than likely would but he can't keep himself out of foul trouble so he has to sit. That isn't on Cal. That is on Rob.

As fare as Ugo and Z, playing time for them should probably be dependent on the matchup. Z did better agains MSU than expected so that was a surprise but multiple times during that game, I thought he was going to lay down on the court he was so tired.

Most of the time, playing time isn't just about who needs to play the most minutes. It is situational based on opponent, who may have fresh legs, who is or isn't in foul trouble, among many other things. It isn't always as simple as saying player x needs to play more than player y.

Your theory doesn't tell the whole story, either. As in, maybe they're actually better coming off the bench than starting. Maybe they've even expressed to the coaching staff that they - the acutal players - don't want to change the strategy.

2018, Villanova national champs. All the national media "experts" definitely claimed Donte DiVincenzo was one of the top 5 best players on that team. But he was the 6th man. In the national championship game, OFF THE BENCH, he scored 31 points, grabbed 5 rebs, dished out 3 assists. He was named the Final 4 Most Outstanding Player. And he wasn't a starter.

So how many posters on here would have been clamoring for Jay Wright to be fired during the season since he wasn't starting DiVincenzo?!

Time will tell if Cal’s lineup moves ultimately lead us to a deep run. This team has the goods to make a FF. If we end up getting bounced in the round of 32 or Sweet 16, Cal should rightfully be raked over the coals. Even if it’s against a top seed (say UCONN in the Sweet 16) since we should have been a 2 or 3 seed at worst this season.

Minutes per game
Sheppard 29
Dillingham 23
Wagner 27

Team efficiency and +/-
Sheppard 34.8 / 365
Dillingham 27.2 / 204
Wagner 14.8 / 34

Wagner should come off the bench and play a more limited role on this team. I don't see what's so bad about that.

Don’t know Cal’s reasoning for Sheppard. I think Reed should start.

I agree with bringing Dilly off the bench because the kid is a master at picking up 2 fouls in 40 seconds, 60 feet from the goal. If he starts and gets his second foul at the 18 minute mark of the first half, what good would it do.

Also, these amateur psychologist posts from people with zero direct knowledge of the inner workings of the team seem like attention seeking based on their own opinions and feelings, which is super ironic in the case of this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT