ADVERTISEMENT

BVG might be the most overhyped….

It's amazing that the ratings missed so badly on him. I don't think they give out a lot of 5 stars for QB's. So he either killed it against overmatched opponents in high school or got a big bump up from committing to Georgia. Could be a combination of both. Some of the blame goes to our offensive line, receivers, and coaches, but he also brings a lot of the problems on himself.

When is this board going to stop falling for the hype of QBs coming here? We have had bad QB play for probably 10 of Stoops’ 12 years here. A good QB isn’t going to come here and play in this offense. We need to start assuming there’s a reason these guys are choosing to come and it’s not because they’re really good QBs.

As bad as he’s been, it’s hard to look good when the tackles can’t block a statue. But he’s not exactly lived up to anything you expect when you get a 5 star that’s for sure.

Undisciplined on both sides of the ball and why do we think we need to fight and act all tough after every pass play??? We look stupid and dumb, pretty embarrassing to watch with other team fans especially when they point it out.

Did he play terrible vs Vandy? I must have missed that…

15-25 for 160 yards passing ….ran for another 40 yards rushing. 1 Td passing …should have had an interception ( don’t know why that got overturned)

He had three passes deleted due to nonsense holding calls

I didn’t see a bad qb play last night….i do see a poor offensive scheme …

1. As mentioned why we force Wimsatt into rotation is middle school stuff It not only take Brock out of potential rhythm but wilcox average 11 yards a carry….and got 3 touches….we need to get our playmakers touches…a run only qb ain’t a threat

2. This Oline is poor…pass blocking is a task, the penalties are drive killlers and the whole group is essentially jr/sr😳

3. Stoops has been here and all but Levis first year and some of Stephen Johnson-Smith 😄 last year…it’s been a below average sec offense. He has to wear it at this point

^Agree, K. BV wasn't our biggest problem last night. Both OTs drew 2 holding calls, nullifying good yardage. Cox also jumped the snap on the drive in the 3rd quarter that took a TD off the board and we ended up screwing up the FG and got nothing.

Rotating QBs is asinine. Never throwing to TEs and rarely over the middle makes no sense. Not being able to find weaknesses and exploit them until the D adjusts is a failure of the whole offensive staff.

Wilcox runs hard, picks up good yardage pretty much every carry and gets 3 carries. That's dumb. We seem to have only a small number of pass plays that call for getting the ball out quickly. Even when it's a short yardage situation, we call plays that are 15+ yards down the field. A six yard pass for a first down is perfectly acceptable - just ask Vandy. Every play doesn't have to be explosive.

Offensive staff doesn't appear to design the game plan very well or intelligently. No rhythm to the play calling. No apparent plays that are being set up. No misdirection or creativity. Disappointed to say the least.

Unfortunately this is what I see as well. The scheme is unimaginative and predictable making it easy for opposing defenders and you combine that with an O-line that plays good in spurts but then has breakdowns at seemingly the worst possible times. I mean every time I see BV scrambling towards the sideline I'm thinking "which tackle will be called for holding this time?"

They have the pieces to be fielding a much better offense then what we are seeing, but it's just not working. I hate the thought of bringing in yet another new OC next year with another new scheme to learn but at this point that may be their only choice unless there are major upticks soon.

It’s not all the OC — it’s Stoops . His grind it out philosophy shines brightly on every OC … recall the man went a year with a QB who didn’t pass the ball . period . And he won with it . It’s was a thing of beauty to Coach .. not having to call worrisome pass plays :(

^Agree, K. BV wasn't our biggest problem last night. Both OTs drew 2 holding calls, nullifying good yardage. Cox also jumped the snap on the drive in the 3rd quarter that took a TD off the board and we ended up screwing up the FG and got nothing.

Rotating QBs is asinine. Never throwing to TEs and rarely over the middle makes no sense. Not being able to find weaknesses and exploit them until the D adjusts is a failure of the whole offensive staff.

Wilcox runs hard, picks up good yardage pretty much every carry and gets 3 carries. That's dumb. We seem to have only a small number of pass plays that call for getting the ball out quickly. Even when it's a short yardage situation, we call plays that are 15+ yards down the field. A six yard pass for a first down is perfectly acceptable - just ask Vandy. Every play doesn't have to be explosive.

Offensive staff doesn't appear to design the game plan very well or intelligently. No rhythm to the play calling. No apparent plays that are being set up. No misdirection or creativity. Disappointed to say the least.
The tackles get holding calls because they aren’t very good and Brock holds the ball too long

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
It’s not all the OC — it’s Stoops . His grind it out philosophy shines brightly on every OC … recall the man went a year with a QB who didn’t pass the ball . period . And he won with it . It’s was a thing of beauty to Coach .. not having to call worrisome pass plays :(
Hamdan runs the very same scheme here that he did at Boise. Therein lies some of your problem IMO. Stoops doesn't "meddle" in the offense that's a myth. He's a defensive coach and knows his limitation.

I may be in the minority but if Coen hadn't left we could very well be undefeated at that point, but that's water under the dam. I understand that fingers are being pointed at Stoops and as head coach he does bare responsibility for the performance of the team as a whole, including the numerus penalties, and the inability of the offense to score enough points. Game to game consistency just doesn't seem to be there. How much of that is on Stoops and how much belongs elsewhere can be debated.

Reactions: 99firerock
I don't know if he meddles or not but I'm 100% sure that he tells his OC's this is the type of offense and play calling I expect and want. With this style of offense, it takes exceptional play calling ability and exceptional execution. There is just no room for error whatsoever. So far this year Hamdan has proven he isn't a very good play caller and we have seen the lack of execution from the players.

Hamdan runs the very same scheme here that he did at Boise. Therein lies some of your problem IMO. Stoops doesn't "meddle" in the offense that's a myth. He's a defensive coach and knows his limitation.

I may be in the minority but if Coen hadn't left we could very well be undefeated at that point, but that's water under the dam. I understand that fingers are being pointed at Stoops and as head coach he does bare responsibility for the performance of the team as a whole, including the numerus penalties, and the inability of the offense to score enough points. Game to game consistency just doesn't seem to be there. How much of that is on Stoops and how much belongs elsewhere can be debated.
When you see the same nonsense from 6 different coordinators who were much better before and/or after they left here, that tells you he does. There's just no way they all regress here on their own. We've had good enough talent most years to look better than we did.

The pace of the game is a dead giveaway that he meddles. He wants the slow down grind it out offense to keep his defense fresh. We were told we were going to play more up tempo, but all we do is get to the line a little quicker and still piddle around. How do you recruit better players when this is the product you constantly put out there?

We've proven before you can have a good offense without elite talent across the board. Yet every year our offense looks completely outmatched. We don't do things like speed up the pace of play to keep defenses from being able to sub and catch them off guard. We've done it in desperation and it has worked effectively.

Then throw in the undisciplined crap we've been dealing with since Stoops got here. That combined with poor game management and you end up with games like we saw last night. Stoops did some good things here (got more money invested in football, raised expectations, etc.), but the time for a change is now. He just isn't good for the new age of college athletics and dealing with NIL.

Hes a big part of the offensive issues. However.....his staff doesn't help by constantly rotating in another qb. It kills continuity and rhythm especially for a guy thats barely played.

The two qb nonsense needs to end. Cant believe it ever started.
Idk maybe half the locker room are in Wimsatt's corner.
There never was a legit competition for QB1.
I think Stoops thought that BV and Wimsatt would be another Levis/ Beau Allen situation were the starter was a no brainer.
Just a guess but if say practice is a deadlick between the two.
I don't see that Brock has any skills that Gavin doesn't have but Gavin has way more game experience.

Brock isn’t very good right now but o can see a world where’s he solid to pretty good. There’s talent there but he’s extremely inexperienced. Not ready to give up on him yet. Unfortunately we do a shitty job of supporting him

Idk maybe half the locker room are in Wimsatt's corner.
There never was a legit competition for QB1.
I think Stoops thought that BV and Wimsatt would be another Levis/ Beau Allen situation were the starter was a no brainer.
Just a guess but if say practice is a deadlick between the two.
I don't see that Brock has any skills that Gavin doesn't have but Gavin has way more game experience.

Effort isn't the issue. Focus is the team issue. Confidence and inexperience are Brock's issues.

Regularly rotating a qb out for a play is incredibly stupid unless its sneak or something. The craziest part is brock is an excellent runner.

I get that wimsatt is a good athlete but we should've never brought him here if this was what we promised.

QB we’ve had come through here! The guy has no pocket awareness whatsoever! It’s maddening!!!
I said after Georgia I thought the wrong qb was playing that gave us the most consistent chance of scoring WYN is so much more athletic than Brock but hell iron head stoops want change or adjust nothing the Titanic is sinking and we are all on board looking for a lifeboat

Did he play terrible vs Vandy? I must have missed that…

15-25 for 160 yards passing ….ran for another 40 yards rushing. 1 Td passing …should have had an interception ( don’t know why that got overturned)

He had three passes deleted due to nonsense holding calls

1. As mentioned why we force Wimsatt into rotation is middle school stuff It not only take Brock out of potential rhythm but wilcox average 11 yards a carry….and got 3 touches….we need to get our playmakers touches…a run only qb ain’t a threat

2. This Oline is poor…pass blocking is a task, the penalties are drive killlers and the whole group is essentially jr/sr😳

3. Stoops has been here and all but Levis first year and some of Stephen Johnson-Smith 😄 last year…it’s been a below average sec offense. He has to wear it at this point

Unfortunately this is what I see as well. The scheme is unimaginative and predictable making it easy for opposing defenders and you combine that with an O-line that plays good in spurts but then has breakdowns at seemingly the worst possible times. I mean every time I see BV scrambling towards the sideline I'm thinking "which tackle will be called for holding this time?"

They have the pieces to be fielding a much better offense then what we are seeing, but it's just not working. I hate the thought of bringing in yet another new OC next year with another new scheme to learn but at this point that may be their only choice unless there are major upticks soon.
All of these responses are right on the money!!!

The "scheme" seems to be a variation of the SAME one's seen from ALL of the previous OC's.

-Bringing in QB's(even Levis) that STRUGGLE reading defenses pre AND post snap and are not very good at checking into something better against a blitz
-Very few passes in the middle 3rd of the field UNLESS they are deep Post patterns. This is puzzling considering how good our TE's have been. But Stoops doesn't want to risk throwing INT's.
-Trying to stretch the field horizontally by using bubble screens and jet sweeps using SMALL WR's to block or pulling an O-Lineman out wide to block a MORE athletic DB
-WR's that run bad routes and have a hard time getting open. Wandale was great and Dane has gotten a lot better at it but those 2 are anomalies.
-Horrible clock management
-Undisciplined and commit DUMB penalties at the MOST crucial points in games

These are GLARING similarities in ALL of our OC's "schemes" that ALL go back to the same source: Mark Stoops!!!!

He should be EMBARRASSED but I doubt he is!!!

I’m sort of done blaming coordinators for it. All but Scangarello have had success in other situations. Gran at UC, Coen is fine in the nfl, Dawson is the oc for a top 10 team, Brown a HC.

At this point I just think it goes back to stoops having no feel for what he wants to do offensively other than play drawn out pace football to help his defensive style. We develop defensive guys, even not highly rated ones we’ve had because they know what they want to do. But we don’t do much at all with our offensive players so there is something in the identification process or the inconsistent offense types or lack of an offensive fit recruiting strategy that has never really gotten it done.

Last edited:
Effort isn't the issue. Focus is the team issue. Confidence and inexperience are Brock's issues.

Regularly rotating a qb out for a play is incredibly stupid unless its sneak or something. The craziest part is brock is an excellent runner.

I get that wimsatt is a good athlete but we should've never brought him here if this was what we promised.
UK's offense has no identity, it's a bunch of guys stumbling around in the dark looking for an exit. I think UK has the rep among other teams and officiating crews as guys who are easily baited. Watch the games, opponents are constantly chirping during pile ups/huddles and UK retaliates, opponents know it, officials know it. They just lack discipline.

I have no problem with Wimsett having a package but to alternate every play is just plain silly. Someone elsewhere pointed out it's something one sees in middle school. And Earth to Stoops/Bush: Wilcox is your best running back....feed him. I know he's still learning to pick up the blitz and all but he has long distance capability, give the guy 15-18 carries/game. It's just bizarre to only give that talent 3 carries.

I actually like BV, I think UK can win with him but the passing game needs to be refocused. UK's wanting Key to be primary but I'm not sure he has the focus for that. He'll make a few nice plays then seem to lose concentration. Brown needs more touches downfield, Maclin was a 1000+ yd receiver but is seldom targeted, Farrier was a 500+ yard receiver but is seldom targeted, we've been told Anderson/Rodriquez are playmakers but are seldom targeted. Sure I don't have to tell anyone how poor the OL is, it's the main reason the passing game is lacking. UK has to hold back a TE or RB to help this bunch block that essentially allows ALL WRs to draw double teams.

It's disappointing that this offense is the best people who coach for a living can come up with. Makes me wonder just what these guys do during the off season, it's clearly not watching film.

Towles left because Stoops announced in the off-season that Drew Barker would be starting the next year, if I recall correctly.
💯 did in fact happen

I always thought Towles was gritty, flashes of Levis at times, maybe with better reads for sure. To be fair as well, now that I look back, Towles had a lot of good receivers to play with.

💯 did in fact happen

I always thought Towles was gritty, flashes of Levis at times, maybe with better reads for sure. To be fair as well, now that I look back, Towles had a lot of good receivers to play with.
This is a huge problem. I don't know of one WR that stoops brought in as a freshman,and he developed him into a star!

UK's offense has no identity, it's a bunch of guys stumbling around in the dark looking for an exit. I think UK has the rep among other teams and officiating crews as guys who are easily baited. Watch the games, opponents are constantly chirping during pile ups/huddles and UK retaliates, opponents know it, officials know it. They just lack discipline.

I have no problem with Wimsett having a package but to alternate every play is just plain silly. Someone elsewhere pointed out it's something one sees in middle school. And Earth to Stoops/Bush: Wilcox is your best running back....feed him. I know he's still learning to pick up the blitz and all but he has long distance capability, give the guy 15-18 carries/game. It's just bizarre to only give that talent 3 carries.

I actually like BV, I think UK can win with him but the passing game needs to be refocused. UK's wanting Key to be primary but I'm not sure he has the focus for that. He'll make a few nice plays then seem to lose concentration. Brown needs more touches downfield, Maclin was a 1000+ yd receiver but is seldom targeted, Farrier was a 500+ yard receiver but is seldom targeted, we've been told Anderson/Rodriquez are playmakers but are seldom targeted. Sure I don't have to tell anyone how poor the OL is, it's the main reason the passing game is lacking. UK has to hold back a TE or RB to help this bunch block that essentially allows ALL WRs to draw double teams.

It's disappointing that this offense is the best people who coach for a living can come up with. Makes me wonder just what these guys do during the off season, it's clearly not watching fi

I have watched BV for a long time, even before UGA when his team played on GPTV which was alot for a small school. In HS he had a little guy that was about 5'4" quick as a hiccup and other teams couldn't cover him as his go to guy, he would pull and run alot. At UGA he never played much other than to just hand off and run clock but pulled and ran a good bit when he did. He is a good athlete, has a good arm, a good runner, his only real questions were could he run through his progressions and read a defense. Unfortunately it is looking like the answers to those questions are not yet. I thought he would have a year what most of yall were hoping for.

I have watched BV for a long time, even before UGA when his team played on GPTV which was alot for a small school. In HS he had a little guy that was about 5'4" quick as a hiccup and other teams couldn't cover him as his go to guy, he would pull and run alot. At UGA he never played much other than to just hand off and run clock but pulled and ran a good bit when he did. He is a good athlete, has a good arm, a good runner, his only real questions were could he run through his progressions and read a defense. Unfortunately it is looking like the answers to those questions are not yet. I thought he would have a year what most of yall were hoping for.
I like BV, I really do, and I think on the surface he can be a really good QB. Problem is he, and by extension UK's passing game, is being seriously hamstrung by the need of TE/RB having to stay in and block. By those guys not being involved in receiving routes it's allowing defensives to double team all WRs which slows development of routes and BVs reads. M. Cox/Mincey need to be benched in favor of Ray/Wood. If Ray/Wood get beat then so be it but at least you're trying something different.

It's disappointing that this offense is the best people who coach for a living can come up with. Makes me wonder just what these guys do during the off season, it's clearly not watching film.
OUR offense will never be good. 12 years and it is the same crap. half a dozen OCs and they are all choked so much that they are forced to call Stoops game. Nothing changes but some how we expect different results. It is a CLUSTER ____!!!!

Last edited:
I like BV, I really do, and I think on the surface he can be a really good QB. Problem is he, and by extension UK's passing game, is being seriously hamstrung by the need of TE/RB having to stay in and block. By those guys not being involved in receiving routes it's allowing defensives to double team all WRs which slows development of routes and BVs reads. M. Cox/Mincey need to be benched in favor of Ray/Wood. If Ray/Wood get beat then so be it but at least you're trying something different.

He has the physical skills, but he basically had zero experience, plus a new system. Pretty steep learning curve.

Reactions: mrschwump
For how awful Brock has played according to some

Passing for 160 yards a game. 60% completion rate. 5 Td vs 2 Int. 13 yards per completion (so he’s not sinking snd dunking)

Stupid college stats included sacks…but he’s run for another 93 yards All while splitting snaps with Wimsatt (which is dumb)

He’s got Dane top 6 best receiver in sec…and Dane has had a marvelous season

I don’t get much of the negativity towards him…it’s obvious he’s playing behind bottom 2-3 Oline and offensive coach staff/scheme in sec. (Maybe. Arkansas Florida I can argue would be close)

Brock is accurate pushing the ball downfield…not a pure dink snd dunk guy. He can move his feet. Takes hit and plays physical. My main issue is he doesn’t have great pocket presence yet…but six games in…..not killing him for that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT