ADVERTISEMENT

Britney Griner - What is your Opinion?

The Russians gave her a draconian sentence because down the road they are going to want to trade her for something significant and that won't work if she's got six months more to serve.

Some day the US will give up far, far too much to get her out of prison for all the wrong reasons -- pressure from activists from at least three identity politics groups. The US always gets burned in deals like this -- see the Bowe Bergdhal deal in which we released five murderous terrorists to get back a deserter.

Last edited:
The Russians gave her a draconian sentence because down the road they are going to want to trade her for something significant and that won't work if she's got six months more to serve.

Some day the US will give up far, far too much to get her out of prison for all the wrong reason -- pressure from activists from at least three identity politics groups. The US always gets burned in deals like this -- see the Bowe Bergdhal deal in which we released five murderous terrorists to get back a deserter.
The hell with him/her/it, broke the laws of another country and want the country to save its life. Pass 🍺

I don’t fault anyone for political beliefs. I fault them for their character. A good way to show a lack of character is to cheer something like this because of political beliefs.

If you don't think your side wouldn't cheer someone like Roger Clemens getting unfairly locked up.. lol.

Face it. Politics have become a sport at this point. Each side cheers when the other side steps in it.

If you don't think your side wouldn't cheer someone like Roger Clemens getting unfairly locked up.. lol.

Face it. Politics have become a sport at this point. Each side cheers when the other side steps in it.
I would call them out too for being part of the problem. Cheering another’s misfortune is wrong regardless of party.

I already covered the political theater of this above. I'm not saying one side dug their heels and the other didn't.. but the left immediately pulled the race/gender/sexuality card with BG.. and that didn't sit well with people. Neither did attempting to exchange actual prisoners of war for an entertainer. A lot of us on the other side of the aisle said "what a second..".

I said in another post, I think all this outage (fake and real) from the liberals likely buried BG. If you didn't make such a fuss over this, I'm not sure Putin goes all in on this. Instead of working with Russia, it was an immediate demanding of progressives to let her go, right this instance.

It's unfortunate that repubs are celebrating (if we can call it that) over someone stuck in jail for a decade over weed.. but when the left started their attacks, defending someone who already slandered the US before.. it's hard not to do a victory lap here. Lesson learned.
Certainly possible a trade happens if Griner's friends/family eased up on the public pressure. The State Dept. even told them to chill. And at the end of the day, you cannot trade an arms dealing terrorist for a basketball player most of the country doesn't care all that much about. Although with Putin, it's entirely possible his regime makes this a big deal if some on US soil had stayed silent. In fact, I think that's all but certain.

On your last paragraph, shit like that just depresses me and it's a both sides thing, so I'm not putting the blame on one side or the other. None of this is a game, it's life. I don't find the situation funny nor a reason to celebrate, as if my team scored some invisible point on a make believe field. Some of your wording is also a bit dramatic. "left started their attacks", "slandered the US before". C'mon man, "attack"? "slandered"? We didn't used to be this tribal or this dramatic. If some disagree with kneeling for example, that's fine, but the ones upset over that have made it to where you must only say amazing things about the US or you're a traitor. That's tribalism.

One other thing I'll bring up - no Kentuckian will dare say anything negative towards Ali now days, but we know he said controversial things as a young man and refused to fight for his country. The ones here pleased about the Griner outcome because of their personal politics would be bashing the ever-loving crap out of Ali if the internet and social media existed back then. And no, Griner doesn't equal Ali, but you know there'd be thread after thread complaining that Ali is woke, hates the country, should leave, needs to shut his damn mouth, is probably a groomer, and plenty of "I'm ashamed he's from Kentucky" comments from the usuals here.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
I find it quite odd that many on here constantly finds the actions of the DOJ, FBI, etc as suspicious and illegitimate yet they immediately believe that everything with the Russian legal system is on the up and up. I'm not saying BG isn't guilty. She probably is even though her sentence is ridiculous, IMO. I just can't believe those who question our own legal system takes the word of Russia without questions.
Why we need to take russias word for it when we have Griners own word for it?

BTW - she hates America. Reason: systemic racism. Bet.

No way anyone deserves the sentence she received for the crime she committed.

Those things can all be true at the same time.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I swear I just read about a dozen of your posts wishing misfortune on another poster.

But it’s (D)ifferent when you do it, right?
Not for his political beliefs. My issues with him have nothing to do with his political beliefs. My issues with him are his arrogance, the content of his character, and the fact I think he’s an asshole. I feel the same way about many who share my political beliefs as well.

Not for his political beliefs. My issues with him have nothing to do with his political beliefs. My issues with him are his arrogance, the content of his character, and the fact I think he’s an asshole. I feel the same way about many who share my political beliefs as well.
TC’s word salad tap dance is just an admission of his blatant hypocrisy. He hates that he has been wrong numerous times in this thread because of his political bias, but he thinks that bias gives him permission to act the jerk.

TC’s word salad tap dance is just an admission of his blatant hypocrisy. He hates that he has been wrong numerous times in this thread because of his political bias, but he thinks that bias gives him permission to act the jerk.
And he proves my point. I fully admit I can and have acted like a jerk. Are you going to admit you have been an asshole? I already know the answer. Let’s not forget. I offered you a peace treaty. You leave me alone. I leave you alone. You declined. So I wish nothing but misery for you. Not because you seem to be conservative (some of my best friends are conservative) but because you are a waste of human flesh.

• Haha
And he proves my point. I fully admit I can and have acted like a jerk. Are you going to admit you have been an asshole? I already know the answer. Let’s not forget. I offered you a peace treaty. You leave me alone. I leave you alone. You declined. So I wish nothing but misery for you. Not because you seem to be conservative (some of my best friends are conservative) but because you are a waste of human flesh.
You are “probably guilty” of stealing oxygen from the rest of us. Talk about a human waste
🍺

You are “probably guilty” of stealing oxygen from the rest of us. Talk about a human waste
🍺
Your mom would’ve done the world a favor had she swallowed. How exactly were you the sperm that won the race to the egg? That doesn’t speak very highly of your gene pool?

Ah. It’s okay to do it, just not for political beliefs. Makes sense 🫤

What about j6 protesters that didn't damage any property being held without trial for almost 2 years? Seems like non violent protesters should never be locked up for this long.

Ah. It’s okay to do it, just not for political beliefs. Makes sense 🫤
I didn't say it's ok. I fully admit it is a flaw that many including myself have and one that I work hard to control. However, I do find it more acceptable after interactions with someone as opposed to solely based on what someone's political beliefs are.

Last edited:
What about j6 protesters that didn't damage any property being held without trial for almost 2 years? Seems like non violent protesters should never be locked up for this long.
That depends on what they are charged with and being held for. Those being charged with simple trespassing then absolutely they shouldn't be locked up for that long. Those charged with things more in line with insurrection or sedition, then I feel they absolutely should be locked up that long. Those that assaulted the capitol police with flag poles, mace, or even fists/kicks then they too should be locked up that long. I also realize that some charged with things more in line with insurrection are only guilty for being at the wrong place at the wrong time or simply guilt by association. What is it the right likes to say about Britney though? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You don't have sympathy for Britney for being grossly overcharged, then why should anyone have sympathy for any of those J6 that have been overcharged?

That depends on what they are charged with and being held for. Those being charged with simple trespassing then absolutely they shouldn't be locked up for that long. Those charged with things more in line with insurrection or sedition, then I feel they absolutely should be locked up that long. Those that assaulted the capitol police with flag poles, mace, or even fists/kicks then they too should be locked up that long. I also realize that some charged with things more in line with insurrection are only guilty for being at the wrong place at the wrong time or simply guilt by association. What is it the right likes to say about Britney though? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You don't have sympathy for Britney for being grossly overcharged, then why should anyone have sympathy for any of those J6 that have been overcharged?
There are people in jail that have only been charged with trespassing. That is it. They have been in jail almost 2 years without a hearing or a trial. Many are kept in solitary confinement. One has already committed suicide.

The thing about the Griner thing is that many of us expect Russian courts to be corrupt and political. We are just shocked US courts have gotten that bad and nobody is talking about that.

Who’s to say Brittany or Brett whatever it’s name is doesn’t get shanked in lockup then the story goes away ? 🍺

Let’s cut to the chase. You wished real ill on me and my relationships and you don’t even know me, as if that would be an excuse for such ugliness. I have done nothing of the sort to you or others. On the contrary, I wish no ill upon anyone.

• Love
Reactions: UK till Death
Let’s cut to the chase. You wished real ill on me and my relationships and you don’t even know me, as if that would be an excuse for such ugliness. I have done nothing of the sort to you or others. On the contrary, I wish no ill upon anyone.
Yawn...Again, I offered a peace treaty and you declined. You still can't help bringing me up...In my views, you have earned and deserved every thing I have said. Nothing you say will change that but I again will offer you that peace treaty so that we can go our separate ways.

I didn't say it's ok. I fully admit it is a flaw that many including myself have and one that I work hard to control. However, I do find it more acceptable after interactions with someone as opposed to solely based on what someone's political beliefs are.
Yeah. You don’t like anyone to demonstrate you don’t know what you are talking about. I have demonstrated that a few times in this thread as you continued to perpetuate blatant untruths and ignorance. Your justification for your ugliness in response is because of your pridefulness. You would rather be permitted to post and argue fake news about a situation as you attempt to condemn those who disagree.

Yawn...Again, I offered a peace treaty and you declined. You still can't help bringing me up...In my views, you have earned and deserved every thing I have said. Nothing you say will change that but I again will offer you that peace treaty so that we can go our separate ways.
TC, this discussion resurfaced solely because of you and your hypocrisy.

That is what you say but you post differently. Problem with the left today is their inability to see their own biases.

Accurate as hell. Both sides are ignorant of their own BS. The further you get from the center the bigger the blind spots get.

TC, this discussion resurfaced solely because of you and your hypocrisy.
So again, I have offered to move along to save us both the hassle of dealing with each other since neither of us really care for the other and you have again declined. You are the biggest hypocrite here who tries to occupy the moral high ground who wouldn't know basic human decency if it bit you on the ass. I am embarrassed that we root for the same team.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Both sides push to the extremes. Every post you make is evidence of that.
What you call "extreme right" was the center just a few years ago. We've not changed.

You let the left define extreme and just fall into place as the center moves further left.

It's a winning strategy with people like you because you allow long established, rational, common sense positions to be vilified as "extreme" just because the left has moved the Overton window off the left side of the table.

What you call "extreme right" was the center just a few years ago. We've not changed.

You let the left define extreme and just fall into place as the center moves further left.

It's a winning strategy with people like you because you allow long established, rational, common sense positions to be vilified as "extreme" just because the left has moved the Overton window off the left side of the table.

You’re high on your own supply bro.

Reactions: J_Dee
Funny how you always say "aw shucks I'm down the middle", but everything out of your mouth is Liberal. smh

I’m not down the middle. I have both conservative and liberal positions because I am not beholden to a party. I go for the policies that I think make the most sense. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT