ADVERTISEMENT

Bring on basketball, typical Kentucky football

Root for your JV sport, no one in country give a crap about BB except for 2 weeks a year. Sorry but big boy sport is FB and too bad the BB only douche bags always come out, usually root for OSU in FB, or Miami. Again I love my BB but I enjoy the big boy sport over JV sports
I love and supoort UK football but a 31 yr losing streak is inexcusable. No wonder people expect the worst and hope for the best. Unfortunately, results cause that mentality to still linger.
We are the Gold Standard in basketball.

No, they do not. I know their fans like to claim they do, but that is a lie. As at least half those title claims are dubious, and a couple are plain fraudulent.

As one example, consider 1941: Alabama finished 20th in the national polls, 3rd in the SEC (that's right, only third in their own conference), with at least 14 teams having a better record. Yet Bama preposterously claims a national title for that season because some shill publicist in Alabama made up a completely fake poll just to list UA at No. 1. Seriously, how much shameless gall does it take to dishonestly claim a title for that season?

For a primer on some of Bama's other dubious titles, you might take a look at this youtube video.

Every single one of Kentucky's claimed basketball titles is undisputably a LEGITIMATE title. The same can NOT be said for Bama football.
That's funny...tell their fans that and they are indisputable the #1 FB program of all time.

Disagree..We had enough points just needed to make a tackle on that play with Powell. should have been no gain. he made 2 guys look silly
Sorry disagree...you will find that if we are not scoring 30+ ppt against SEC competition we are losing 8 0f 10.

FB is a good time passer until BB starts up, that will never change at this school and the bitterness will eat you alive if you don't accept it. National Sport popularity never dictates what people should or do care about. If it did then all of college sports would be done away with because everybody would only care about big boy NFL and tiny little college football would be irrelevant.

What the majority cares about means nothing to me, it's what I care about that matters. BB is the King in this state and not one single thing will ever change that. You're better off just focusing on FB if that bothers you.

Reactions: catman111
There is a lot of exaggeration and stupidity on both sides in this thread.

1) Basketball isn't equal to lacrosse. It's the second largest sport and outside of the SEC it's pretty popular and is highly covered nationally.

2) Bama's titles aren't the same as Helms banners. Helms were retroactively given by a bread maker decades down the road. Norte Dame has a couple football titles pre BCS you can make that case for. BCS titles were earned on the field over the length of the season and awarded the same year capped with a title game.

3) UK is the basketball equal to Bama/Yankees of basketball. It's the biggest brand and is measured by history; not who has capitalized on good draws and luck over a decade. The Yankees currently aren't the best team on baseball yet when people compares greatness, they are still the team cited. This thread is proof.

4) it was a tough loss but this team stil has a realistic shot at 8-9 wins and a top bowl appearance. Watch and support both. They rarely play at the same time.

5) saying "you should have CHOSEN a different team if you're that big a football fan" is ignorant. Makes you sound like a bandwagon fan as most of us are BORN into fandom via geographical or family; others joined later via becoming alumnus.

If you're all football or all basketball then you both blow equally and it's questionable how big of a KENTUCKY fan you are.

FB is a good time passer until BB starts up, that will never change at this school and the bitterness will eat you alive if you don't accept it. National Sport popularity never dictates what people should or do care about. If it did then all of college sports would be done away with because everybody would only care about big boy NFL and tiny little college football would be irrelevant.

What the majority cares about means nothing to me, it's what I care about that matters. BB is the King in this state and not one single thing will ever change that. You're better off just focusing on FB if that bothers you.
All bullshit once the football team comes on strong

There is a lot of exaggeration and stupidity on both sides in this thread.

1) Basketball isn't equal to lacrosse. It's the second largest sport and outside of the SEC it's pretty popular and is highly covered nationally.

2) Bama's titles aren't the same as Helms banners. Helms were retroactively given by a bread maker decades down the road. Norte Dame has a couple football titles pre BCS you can make that case for. BCS titles were earned on the field over the length of the season and awarded the same year capped with a title game.

3) UK is the basketball equal to Bama/Yankees of basketball. It's the biggest brand and is measured by history; not who has capitalized on good draws and luck over a decade. The Yankees currently aren't the best team on baseball yet when people compares greatness, they are still the team cited. This thread is proof.

4) it was a tough loss but this team stil has a realistic shot at 8-9 wins and a top bowl appearance. Watch and support both. They rarely play at the same time.

5) saying "you should have CHOSEN a different team if you're that big a football fan" is ignorant. Makes you sound like a bandwagon fan as most of us are BORN into fandom via geographical or family; others joined later via becoming alumnus.

If you're all football or all basketball then you both blow equally and it's questionable how big of a KENTUCKY fan you are.
So what about those Bama football fans who don't care about Bama basketball? Do they "blow"?

No, they do not. I know their fans like to claim they do, but that is a lie. As at least half those title claims are dubious, and a couple are plain fraudulent.

As one example, consider 1941: Alabama finished 20th in the national polls, 3rd in the SEC (that's right, only third in their own conference), with at least 14 teams having a better record. Yet Bama preposterously claims a national title for that season because some shill publicist in Alabama made up a completely fake poll just to list UA at No. 1. Seriously, how much shameless gall does it take to dishonestly claim a title for that season?

For a primer on some of Bama's other dubious titles, you might take a look at this youtube video.

Every single one of Kentucky's claimed basketball titles is undisputably a LEGITIMATE title. The same can NOT be said for Bama football.

Eh, Bama still has more legit titles than UK by a decent margin. The sports are apples to oranges though. Saban is just 1/3 so far in the "playoff" era and by playoff I mean 4 teams. I think if it ever goes to 8 or 16 you will see even more parity. That said, Saban is still the GOAT and could be 3/3. Of course, Cal could have 3 or 4 titles at UK but lost some heartbreakers.

Football will never overtake basketball at UK. And just how strong are you predicting UK football to rise? I don't see national title or SEC title aspirations anytime soon with the inept coaching staff we have. They can win 7-8 games, which is very good by UK standards and I will hope for more but expect nothing more than 7-8.

There is nothing UK football can do to erase the immeasurable amount of history and lore of this states favored sport. The FB program cannot win a national title, will not happen. So you're left with bowl appearances, no chance FB will become more popular for that.

Generations have been raised on bb, that's decades of tradition. UK bb will always be priority one in this state, you can hate it and you can doubt it but just watch it keep on happening.

Last edited:
Eh, Bama still has more legit titles than UK by a decent margin. The sports are apples to oranges though. Saban is just 1/3 so far in the "playoff" era and by playoff I mean 4 teams. I think if it ever goes to 8 or 16 you will see even more parity. That said, Saban is still the GOAT and could be 3/3. Of course, Cal could have 3 or 4 titles at UK but lost some heartbreakers.
No, they don't. Bama has 8 titles that are undisputed being #1 in both the AP/UPI before the BSC. They finished #1 in both in 1961, 1965, 1979, 1993, and then the 4 under Saban. They were split in the AP/UPI in 1964, 1973, and 1978 with other teams also calling themselves National Champs.

UK has 8 undisputed titles. Alabama fans like to claim a season a title season if they finished #1 in ANY type of poll. Using that criteria they have 16 titles. If UK did the same we have titles (non NCAA) as follows:

1933 Helms
1946 NIT
1952 AP/UPI
1954 AP/Helms
1966 AP/UPI
1970 AP/UPI
2003 AP
2015 AP

So.....UK and Alabama both have 8 undisputed titles. Alabama and UK both have 16 titles using various other criteria.

Reactions: UK90
The FG at the end of 2nd quarter we were at the Florida's 21 yard line and we were sacked twice back to 30 yard line and missed the 48 yard FG. We don't lose that yardage and MacGinnis would be looking at 36 or 38 yard FG at the end of the half for a 17-14 lead. We would had a 30-14 lead in the 4th quarter instead of 27-14 and that alone would be the winner. Then we had it on the 5 yard and 1st and goal and couldn't get the touchdown and settled for a FG. With the TD in our 1st possession of the 3rd quarter and then we hold UF on another 3 and out we go down to 5 yard line for 1st and goal. We almost blew that when had 1st a penalty of 5 yards and then lost we lost -18 yards back to the 25 yard line and had to kick a 42 FG. If We punch it in from 1st and goal at the 5 we would have a 31-14 lead and then with the last FG we are up 34-14 in the 4th quarter. Our Defense was awesome in the 3rd quarter when Florida had 4 possessions and the first two was 3 and out, the 3rd one was an interception, and the 4th one was an incomplete pass on 4th and 3. When Florida took there 1st possession in the 4th quarter is when Toney hit Cleveland with the 50 yard reception and Florida went in with the TD. We then go 3 and out and Florida marches down and uses over 5 minutes of the clock and scores 2nd TD and the lead and we only have 48 seconds left. In the South Carolina game we made huge plays on the Defensive side of the ball just like when UF was on the 6 yard line and it was 4th and 6 and we totally blew that 4th down and the opportunity to take over without UF scoring. We could have even just went ahead and tried for the FG when we hit Walker on the 14 yard reception at the 35 an it would have been around 52 FG or hit Charles Walker like Johnson did for 6 yards down to 29 yard line for a 45 yard FG instead of the stupid Holding penalty. If we just gave MacGinnis around a 48-50 yarder we might have just pulled it out 30-28. The Holding call was the Killer. It just sickening to think how well we played in the first 3 quarters and could have been up 34-14 and that would have for sure been too much for a comeback. We had too many chances to widen our lead way more and a chance to win it at end of the game with a FG. No way we should have lost this Game!
If aunt Jane had balls, she'd be uncle John. Kentucky football,Only if we had done this.

So what about those Bama football fans who don't care about Bama basketball? Do they "blow"?
Yeah. They do. You should be a fan of the University and not a fair weather fan unless you truly just do not enjoy the sport and not watch it at any level.

Disagree..We had enough points just needed to make a tackle on that play with Powell. should have been no gain. he made 2 guys look silly

We will just have to agree, to disagree. I have seen way too many games that we have gagged away. In every one of them, you could have said, "if we only made that tackle", or "all we had to do was stop them on that 4th down". The reason we lost, is that we only had a 13 pt lead, and anyone that has followed UK football over the years, just knew we were going to lose in the final minute. Had we scored the TD, even our coaching staff couldn't have blown it.

Reactions: awf
Exactly what is the intent of the op if not to instigate an argument between bball and Footballl fans? Absolutely no point in making such a comment or post unless the intent is to take a shot at fans that love Football.

Reminds me of when I coached Football in eastern Ky. Dads of 5'6 200 pound kids would tell me not to talk to their sons about Football. "My boy's gonna play basketball". Threatened by a sport.

2016 Harris Poll NFL most popular, MLB second, College Football 3rd. College bball tied for 6th behind auto racing and ice hockey. Tied with men's soccer.
:flushed::flushed:
Whoa!

Ok I even need to see a link for that.

Last edited:
This thread was created by a few after Saturday night saying same ole KY or We knew they couldn't beat Fla, Give me BB. Not a time to do this, this is a UK board first and foremost especially 10 minutes after game. No one is disputing that BB is king at UK and always will be but this diatribe and the UK BB only crowd is too much, I call them out.
Believe me I have seen enough heart break of UK football since the early 70's. I must say that UK BB in recent years has been just as bad as far as bad losses.
Just be a little courteous and

Anyone basing Kentucky's football past history as a reason why we cannot compete with the SEC TODAY is brainwashed. You are a battered fan and it's best you stop voicing an opinion on it because you are exactly the reason why Barnhart is allowed to play mediocre time with UK's dime. You obviously know nothing about the current structure and it's past time to zip it.

This is NOT your grandads team, program, and decade. We are in an era where UK has it all. NFL facilities, huge fan base, mega billion dollar revenue streams, multi million dollar conference and TV deals. Your great grandpappy's team in 1969 didn't have that.

The fact of the matter is our AD is not a risk taker. He was burned by Gillispie and holds his own reputation (in his mind) above accepting the above and putting an East contender on the field most years. Barnhart is OK with sub par.500 seasons and a revenue bowl for the conference. He's always been that way.

The only reason it's half as good as it is? we are in modern times and UK would have to be absolutely pitiful to not compete for 6 wins seasons. Vandy and Mississippi state are no different today. It's easy. Hell, Claiborne would have gone to a bowl every year minus 1 in the 80's if he had this revenue stream, facilities, and extra cup cake game.

As far as the basketball discussion, it's a very important sport. Second most viewed and recognized college sport there is.

A lot needs to change within our football program and it starts with people realizing we are in modern times and there is no excuse in Kentucky not competing for championships on and off.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Not saying CBB would be any higher, but that poll is next to useless. A Hockey friend brought it up as some way to prove it was a better sport than the NBA. But asking the audience their favorite sport doesn't tell the full story.

TV ratings do however. The NBA isn't in nearly as bad of shape as that article leads you to believe.

2017 was the most watched finals since Jordan retired and appears to have averaged roughly 3 to 4 times the viewers as the NHL finals.

Not saying CBB would be any higher, but that poll is next to useless. A Hockey friend brought it up as some way to prove it was a better sport than the NBA. But asking the audience their favorite sport doesn't tell the full story.

TV ratings do however. The NBA isn't in nearly as bad of shape as that article leads you to believe.

2017 was the most watched finals since Jordan retired and appears to have averaged roughly 3 to 4 times the viewers as the NHL finals.

Hockey is a better sport than the nba...but then again, so is 7th grade b-team bball; hopscotch and tiddly-winks.
The poll is not useless, it reports exactly what it measured...favorite sports. What is missing is how often cbb would have appeared had they asked respondents to list their 3-4 favorite sports. The baseball, Football, bball type probably would have had cbb in the top 5.

Hockey fans, one of the worst inferiority complexes you'll ever see. What that poll doesn't account for are people's second and third favorite sports... which basketball must be for a lot of people because the NBA absolutely obliterates NHL in TV ratings.. (a stat that actually matters).

Hockey fans, one of the worst inferiority complexes you'll ever see. What that poll doesn't account for are people's second and third favorite sports... which basketball must be for a lot of people because the NBA absolutely obliterates NHL in TV ratings.. (a stat that actually matters).

Why is it so important that bball fans try to prove their sport is popular? It's a nice sport but does not compare with Football or even baseball in popularity. If you look at some of the charts, you will see the sport was much more popular, even more popular than Football in the early to mid 80's. IMO, the decline in its popularity has to do with the change in the way the game is played.

I see mention of BB games that were choked. Are there any 30 year streaks Kentucky Basketball has losing to a team....20 years??....10 years??....5 years??

Absolutely silly to compare the greatest basketball program in the game to one of the lowest in D-1 football. I will still root for them but it's always a heart break.

Agreed

Reactions: awf
Why is it so important that bball fans try to prove their sport is popular? It's a nice sport but does not compare with Football or even baseball in popularity. If you look at some of the charts, you will see the sport was much more popular, even more popular than Football in the early to mid 80's. IMO, the decline in its popularity has to do with the change in the way the game is played.

I dunno man. Kentucky basketball is WAY more
Relevant and popular than Kentucky football.

You don't understand what TV ratings are, do you? Quite literally, The 2017 NBA Finals had anywhere from 3-4x the amount of viewers as the NHL finals. In 2016, NBA Finals Game 7 had the 15th most viewership of any single sporting event/game, not one NHL game even made the top50.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...olympics-world-series-nba-college-football/3/

Or how about this: The 2016 NHL game 6 was closer in viewership to the Women's College basketball title game, than it was to the NBA finals.

The only thing more popular than the NBA is the NFL and MLB. And honestly, baseball isn't that much further ahead. The NBA fell hard after Jordan retired (it was probably 2nd at that time), and went through a reaaaaal tough era in the mid-2000's with more or less garbage ball and players that people generally didn't care for.

Since then it's grown almost every year, continues to grow not only in the U.S. but all over the world, and it wouldn't shock me if it starts to put up better numbers than MLB.

.. although the decline of Lebron and the resurgence of the Yankees might keep the NBA at bay..

You don't understand what TV ratings are, do you? Quite literally, The 2017 NBA Finals had anywhere from 3-4x the amount of viewers as the NHL finals. In 2016, NBA Finals Game 7 had the 15th most viewership of any single sporting event/game, not one NHL game even made the top50.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...olympics-world-series-nba-college-football/3/

Or how about this: The 2016 NHL game 6 was closer in viewership to the Women's College basketball title game, than it was to the NBA finals.

I understand tv ratings. Tv ratings are high for sporting events like the Ky Derby,Indy, The Masters, etc... Those events are not representative of the level of popularity for the entire sport. Heck, I detest the nba in general, but I did tune in to see parts of the nba finals, at least what I could watch between innings of MLB games. As for hockey: IMO, it ranks right up (down) there with soccer. Argue with the people that did the survey if you don't believe the stats.
Again, why get so defensive about bball or any sport for that matter?

If it's any consolation to you, I'd predict a rise in the popularity of bball as well as soccer around the world. For one reason: Both sports are easier for people with limited resources to become involved in. Our historically high poverty level has been a MAJOR contributor to bball is so popular in Kentucky....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/04/24/Media/NBA-ratings.aspx

Don't come back win they win 8 games and go to a decent bowl
I haven't left. I just said I won't get as involved (emotionally, monetarily, etc.) going forward.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome.

Reactions: ram1955
I understand tv ratings. Tv ratings are high for sporting events like the Ky Derby,Indy, The Masters, etc... Those events are not representative of the level of popularity for the entire sport. Heck, I detest the nba in general, but I did tune in to see parts of the nba finals, at least what I could watch between innings of MLB games. As for hockey: IMO, it ranks right up (down) there with soccer. Argue with the people that did the survey if you don't believe the stats.
Again, why get so defensive about bball or any sport for that matter?

If it's any consolation to you, I'd predict a rise in the popularity of bball as well as soccer around the world. For one reason: Both sports are easier for people with limited resources to become involved in. Our historically high poverty level has been a MAJOR contributor to bball is so popular in Kentucky....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/04/24/Media/NBA-ratings.aspx

The Finals of many of these sports are in a series, or at least have playoffs. Things like the Masters and The Derby are once a year events with no lead-up. You can't really compare the two.

It's not defensive, it's basic facts. It doesn't matter if the NHL edges out NBA for 1st place votes.. because there's CLEARLY more people who voted the NBA as their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th favorite sport. You're trying to say the NBA isn't popular, and you're just flat out wrong. What does it matter if some survey says more people like Hockey as their top sport, when a 1/4th actually show up to watch?

Also, what sports didn't see ratings drop because of the election year? Further, the NBA is currently in a period where 2 teams dominate and are in a form of "arms race". Sadly, the regular season just didn't matter in 2017. But that leads to bigger numbers down the line.

The Finals of many of these sports are in a series, or at least have playoffs. Things like the Masters and The Derby are once a year events with no lead-up. You can't really compare the two.

It's not defensive, it's basic facts. It doesn't matter if the NHL edges out NBA for 1st place votes.. because there's CLEARLY more people who voted the NBA as their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th favorite sport. You're trying to say the NBA isn't popular, and you're just flat out wrong. What does it matter if some survey says more people like Hockey as their top sport, when a 1/4th actually show up to watch?

Not trying to say anything. The survey reflects what it measured: Favorite sports. Didn't say the nba wasn't popular. It's just not as popular, nor is bball in general as popular as Football or baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT