ADVERTISEMENT

Branham on Jasper

I am a devout man of Prayer. Totally believe in Prayer's efficacious power.
I refuse to ask God to help us recruit a ballplayer.
Just saying...

Tongue in cheek comment.... and for the record I as well have never prayed for a recruit.

God doesn't care where he goes

God has a plan for everyone whether *insert players* knows... but we can certainly debate more on Paddock if you start a thread there.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I think it will be a solid mixture.

4 to 5 freshmen.
4 to 5 returning players.
3 to 4 portal transfers.

My hope is after a couple years and continuity we will have 3 freshmen tops (unless of course there are absolute studs we’re getting). Just feel like they are such a toss up with how they perform. Remember how make and break we thought Wagner, one of the absolute can’t miss top HS players that was in the top 5 regardless of class for like 3 years was? Just feel like you actually know what you’re getting with transfers.

I believe Pope would like to build his roster almost entirely through high school recruiting. I can’t imagine he wants to make a habit of needing to add 3 or 4 contributors in April or May every year.

My hope is after a couple years and continuity we will have 3 freshmen tops (unless of course there are absolute studs we’re getting). Just feel like they are such a toss up with how they perform. Remember how make and break we thought Wagner, one of the absolute can’t miss top HS players that was in the top 5 regardless of class for like 3 years was? Just feel like you actually know what you’re getting with transfers.
All fair points. I'm with you. I like the idea of Johnson and Moreno at UK as supplemental pieces, with veterans doing most of the heavy hitting. Calipari did it the opposite way, and it didn't work.

4 to 5 freshmen.
3 to 4 portal transfers.

That is a perfect mix to me, 4-5 guys with experience in the system who hopefully played or about to start. 4 to 5 talented Freshman who could be OAD talents and a couple who may return to form a nucleus for a couple years, and awesome transfers to plug holes and get go to scorers if needed.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

4 to 5 freshmen.
3 to 4 portal transfers.
This is the formula, or something similar to this.

And the Freshmen should be 1-2 OADs and 2-4 multi year guys. It can’t be 4-5 OAD guys every class or there will be very few returning players and most years we will have to rely heavily on the portal.

If we can get Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perrry, and Noah back next season. Add Moreno, Johnson, and three multi year guys in the ‘25 class. Then finish with three impact portal players.

Something like this maybe:

G Portal/Perry
G Johnson/Chandler/Recruit
G Oweh/Noah
F Portal/Portal/Recruit
F Garrison/Moreno/Recruit

That way we only have 1-2 Freshmen in the rotation. And if Johnson isn’t quite ready, we’ve got Chandler to pick up the slack.

It’s fun to discuss. It’s August, what else should we do?
I thought Waddell had an interesting point when he said that Jasper attending the TBT games just shows how much UK means to him and part of why he thinks he's picking UK. Otherwise, really no need for him to go to those games. Could mean nothing at all but, yeah, not much else to discuss right now.

Not sure if already posted but just watched this Torres video from earlier tonight and he makes it sound like Pope got more freedom this past weekend to bump up the NIL offer to Jasper and that could be part of why we've made up a lot of ground and now likely the favorites. Torres calls it 80-85% chance he picks UK.

Reactions: BarefootBeach
Exactly.

And he would do well here IMO. He may not be as good a shooter as other recruits but he is still a great college player potentially.

People on here micro focus on one aspect of basketball and forget it's an overall skill set that matters.
But shooting is the number 1 skill imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT