ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens - Celtics

Coach Stevens is a fantastic coach and doing very well in Boston but check back in 4 years. He may not be as happy or revered in Boston and might be looking to return to the college ranks.
I guess I should have said to check back in 1 year, not 4. It is amazing how quickly Stevens went from genius coach to overrated. It is a very similar track that Coach Calipari was taking on this board until our recent run.

All of the top competitors in the east got a lot better last week at the trading deadline. The lone exception was the Celtics. The C's could fix this by picking up Enes Kanter who was waived by the Knicks. They need help at C/PF.

76's- got Tobias Harris (just missed out on being an all-star this year) plus 3-4 guys for their second unit

Raptors- Marc Gasol is a big upgrade at center

Bucks- added solid stretch 4 Mirotic to a already good lineup.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/86205/45/dose-easts-elite-make-moves

Last edited:
Celtics are playing in a ultra competitive eastern conference and have played without their only all-star for a significant amount of games. They have certainly underperformed based on what they were projected to do, but I’m not ready to take any credit away from Brad Stevens just yet. The real NBA season starts after the all-star break. They’re going to finish above the Pacers for sure and they’re only a game back from the sixers. So. Yeah.

Reactions: d2atTech
Uh oh... this is gonna make them so mad. LOL.
I have no dog in this fight, but this is a disgrace performance by the Celtics. They're playing an elimination game with all the intensity you'd expect on the 2nd night of back-to-back road games in January.

Stevens might be running into the reality for all NBA coaches. No matter how good they are, they are hostages to their best players.

The Celtics need to wave bye-bye to Kyrie. He's a headcase, and a not easy to play with. They played better without him last year. Then shop the 2 young guys with value (Brown and Tatum). They'll still have a lot of good parts, and room for a big free agent.

Last edited:
I have no dog in this fight, but this is a disgrace performance by the Celtics. They're playing an elimination game with all the intensity you'd expect on the 2nd night of back-to-back road games in January.

Stevens might be running into the reality for all NBA coaches. No matter how good they are, they are hostages to their best players.

The Celtics need to wave bye-bye to Kyrie. He's a headcase, and a not easy to play with. They played better without him last year. Then shop the 2 young guys with value (Brown and Tatum). They'll still have a lot of good parts, and room for a big free agent.

Agree 100% about Kyrie, but would definitely hang on to Brown and Tatum.
JMHO.

He's a great coach, loses Hayward and Kyrie and is about to go to the Eastern Conference Finals. Took Butler to two title games. We always talk about who we would and wouldn’t want if Cal ever left, he’d be my number one choice, but he wouldn’t leave Boston for a college job now, IMO.

He might not leave Boston, but if I were the U.K. Athletic Director after Calipari's gone, I'd make Stevens turn down becoming the highest paid coach in college basketball.

Reactions: westerncat
He might not leave Boston, but if I were the U.K. Athletic Director after Calipari's gone, I'd make Stevens turn down becoming the highest paid coach in college basketball.

By the time Cal leaves, there will probably be another hot coach available.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Sticking with a gun-shy Gordon Hayward for so long down the stretch was not only a bad call but a clouded judgment one as well. He stuck with his guy, when someone like Baynes should have gotten more minutes.

I think Brad Steven's is still a great coach.. But maybe he's not the next Red Auerbach some though.

He's a great coach, loses Hayward and Kyrie and is about to go to the Eastern Conference Finals. Took Butler to two title games. We always talk about who we would and wouldn’t want if Cal ever left, he’d be my number one choice, but he wouldn’t leave Boston for a college job now, IMO.

As a Celtics fan I'm cool with him staying put.

He'd be a dream replacement for Cal but there is less than 1% chance he ever returns to college.

IMO Kyrie hurts that team. He is a very good player, but he does not match that team or what Brad Stevens is trying to do. I say if they would have added Hayward back and left Kyrie off the team this year they would have a lot better chance at the Finals.

Hmmmm... successfully coach one of the greatest NBA franchises

OR

Spend my time following NCAA rules and begging teenagers to play for me
The thing is, if he were to come back to college, to UK, after a successful stint in the NBA, he would not be begging anyone.. He would likely get his pick. Cal and K would be gone and Stevens would likely be king of the country. Imagine someone with the recruiting of Cal and not just good but GREAT Xs and Os.

With everything that’s going on in college basketball I can’t imagine Stevens would want to go back to college. The only way he’d do it is if Boston fired him and even then I’m sure another NBA team would offer him. I just can’t see Stevens wanting to come back to college with all of the corruption bribery stuff going on.

With everything that’s going on in college basketball I can’t imagine Stevens would want to go back to college. The only way he’d do it is if Boston fired him and even then I’m sure another NBA team would offer him. I just can’t see Stevens wanting to come back to college with all of the corruption bribery stuff going on.
Coaching in the pros is significantly less work and significantly less bullcrap to deal with. In the NBA you basically just have to coach, scout, and develop, in college that's practically a small part of the job relative to the # of hours working. With the way NBA teams like to eventually recycle failed coaches, I can't imagine why even a fired coach would want to leave the pros to go to college.

For a good laugh on all things Brad stevens and billy Donovan, look no further than the Indiana board. They feel stevens is tired of the nba and they need to go after him. LOL

Brad Stevens is still a great coach. Unfortunately for him, Kyrie came back and ruined his post season. They were way better without him

Reactions: BlueCat43
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT