ADVERTISEMENT

Boozer brothers to Kentucky is possible

someone chance GIF

The last thing we need is 5* one-and-done players. Duke can have them!
It's an empty honor now... it means absolutely nothing... except in counting how many pros come from the program. That is the only reason to recruit one-and-done freshmen.
(except AD)
I think a few OADs can be a good thing if they understand they’re expected to compete against the best players UK has returning or can bring in, and they play the role on the team they earn.

I do think that if your goal is to win early and often and also have a real shot at winning the title, then you have to be willing to “recruit over” the freshmen via the transfer portal.

If the player from the transfer portal gives your team a better chance to win, why wouldn’t you try to convince him he will play regardless of any freshman coming in? The best transfers already know how important their experience and maturation are and that they’re currently better winning players than the freshmen. Just let them know you know that, and prove it year-in-and-year-out by giving the players most conducive to the team winning the most time playing time. If a freshman is that player, fine. If not, the freshmen can play plenty and develop in a backup role; and if they eventually pass the upperclassman in regard to making the team better, that’s great – they’ve earned the playing time.

Thank you. Said it in the Cooper Flagg threads for months. I feel sorry for anybody that falls for Dukes nonsense where they put smoke out there to try to make you think a recruit is on the fence. This is what Duke and Nike do. Stop falling for it. They’re going to Duke.
what did Duke put out indicating he may go somewhere else? I never saw anything from anyone indicating that except UConn people. I keep hearing this so I’m curious what was put out there by Duke?

what did Duke put out indicating he may go somewhere else? I never saw anything from anyone indicating that except UConn people. I keep hearing this so I’m curious what was put out there by Duke?
Duke can't comment on recruits until they are signed you moron.

Which is exactly why the comment you and the other poster made about Duke’s MO being to put smoke out about a recruit going somewhere else is a moronic comment.

I don't think Duke does this any more than any school (Cough IU/Fland)....but they easily could put it out to the media.

Which is exactly why the comment you and the other poster made about Duke’s MO being to put smoke out about a recruit going somewhere else is a moronic comment.
They don't put out a statement but they do leak information to people so false narratives get out. If you think they don't you are a bigger moron than I thought. It happens all the time with Duke recruits. They seem to get off doing it but then again they are the school who did lip sync to Everytime we touch, so they are obviously a little odd. 😂

To me it now feels like players more concerned with college “branding” (I’m not sure what all that word entails to others, but I’m using it to mean having your name affiliated with a school) are more inclined to pick Duke these days, while those players most interested in getting to the NBA as soon as humanly possible lean toward UK. Of course, even if that’s true generally, there’s always exceptions. Like for instance with in-state players – or maybe in the case of the Boozers, being a legacy recruit.

For example, I think it would have been parental malpractice for Reed Shepherds’ parents to not do everything they could to convince him to go to UK. The opportunities that will be available to him in Kentucky - stretching out possibly for the rest of his life - is just not something he could even approach anywhere else. Same with Dontaie Allen (don’t want to get off on that tangent, but I was one of his biggest advocates and I put all the blame on him for his failure at UK). Same with Travis Perry, except with a caveat. If he doesn’t think he’s going to get any run as a freshman at UK, then maybe I would go to a Big Ten program (like Purdue) and build up the resume and confidence level for a couple of years and then transfer to UK.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I think a few OADs can be a good thing if they understand they’re expected to compete against the best players UK has returning or can bring in, and they play the role on the team they earn.
You're right. However, Cal's goals have been to get these kids to the NBA, that is how he measures success. He has no expectation they compete, which I why he doesn't recruit over them. His only failure (to him) is a top 10 kids that sticks around as a Soph. This is why he gets top-10 kids that others won't... if there was an explicit expectation they wouldn't come. At least he is now taking on project 4*s.
Will all the unbelievable freshman talent Cal has had here, only one truly ascendent athlete has taken him to a championship.
He takes kids to the NBA (that would have been in the NBA had they went to an NAIA school)... that's his goal... and he's said as much repeatedly. And we still get excited about having the #1 class, as though it means something anymore.
All that said, he is getting better and altering his recruiting... somewhat. Proof will come when he sits a frosh to the point it may impact their draft status.

There have been a few Dukies who havn't looked back at coach K and Duke with great fondness; a lot depends on which camp Daddy Boozer resides.

There have been a few Dukies who havn't looked back at coach K and Duke with great fondness; a lot depends on which camp Daddy Boozer resides.
Yep, people who hate their alma mater usually name their son after the arena.

Mike Krzyzewski was tasked with writing the foreword for Boozer’s memoir.
Krzyzweski starts with a one-word sentence to describe Boozer: “Genuine.”

It’s also a word Boozer used to describe his longtime mentor.

“It’s those hard conversations that he’s not afraid to have with you, so that you can become the best person, player, man, husband, father that you can be,” Boozer said.

A relationship that started when Boozer was a 16-year-old recruit continues to grow.

The book was released Oct 3rd.

Last edited:
FWIW, Graf says the same thing. He says it’s a very real possibility that Kentucky can land the Boozer twins, if not likely. Idk. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I was thinking I read that they weren’t too keen on playing with Cooper Flagg ? Don’t really follow recruiting anymore so I may be mistaken.

Yep, people who hate their alma mater usually name their son after the arena.

Mike Krzyzewski was tasked with writing the foreword for Boozer’s memoir.
Krzyzweski starts with a one-word sentence to describe Boozer: “Genuine.”

It’s also a word Boozer used to describe his longtime mentor.

“It’s those hard conversations that he’s not afraid to have with you, so that you can become the best person, player, man, husband, father that you can be,” Boozer said.

A relationship that started when Boozer was a 16-year-old recruit continues to grow.

The book was released Oct 3rd.
I certainly never said Boozer hated his alma mater; I know nothing about him. So thanks for the info.

I believe the Boozer twins mom went to NC State. They definitely aren't an all Duke family but they have the connection to Duke. Think they have lived all their life in Florida so it is different then someone like Reed who grew up in Kentucky.

I believe the Boozer twins mom went to NC State. They definitely aren't an all Duke family but they have the connection to Duke. Think they have lived all their life in Florida so it is different then someone like Reed who grew up in Kentucky.
Duke never wanted reed shepherd

Seriously, high school gyms are larger than Cameron Indoor.
Honestly, I hope to have the privilege of seeing a game in Rupp Arena. I am sure it would be a blast. That said, big or not, Cameron is a pretty fun place to experience a basketball game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT