ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't the Hurley logic extend to Sheppard?

Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

The counterarguments go like this (and yes, they're weak):

Argument #1: Sheppard could get injured and it could all be lost.

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?
Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?
Bro. Come on. We’d all like to see reed come back but this makes no sense.

I thought by the title you meant Hurley’s outlook that you should stay in college until you’re ready to be a solid rotation player. Reed can get picked in the lottery most likely but that doesn’t mean he’ll be a rotation player starting out. Would love to see him work on the areas that need improvement here at UK instead of a possible G-League situation but I’ll be happy for the kid no matter what he decides.

I totally agree. Excellent insight. Shepard will have a few million dollars at the age of 19, or thereabout. In seven years that would become 5 or 6 million if untouched. More than any human needs for life. And the reality is that he will go on to the NBA and he will earn more. And like Mike Decourcy says are you a visitor to the NBA or a resident? This is why college athletics is dying. The common person looks at this and sees the absurdity of the money a select few make. Then they turn around and tell us it isn't a big deal if they only come for nine months and if they win or not. If it isn't a big deal then why pay them? I am not sure why I still watch and pay attention. I'm trying to make the break. AT this point it is pure laziness on my part that I don't seek out new interest or hobbies. I hate supporting this stuff but for now I continue.
How does it affect my fanhood, is that a word, if Reed gets paid here and leaves after 1 year? No, basketball isn't like it was in the 70s. What is? Are you still using rotary phones, Have 3 channels in ur TV that you have to get up to change, things change, people adapt

Reactions: drawing_dead
Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.
He'll make more than that this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: drawing_dead
You don’t need to be set for life to be happy.

The really sad thing about most people with these mindsets is they equate money to happiness. Show where you can buy happiness and where the price tag says “nba salary required.”

There’s more to life to money. And teaching young people that making as much money as possible at every turn at the expense of everything else really sets up the development for low character individuals.

Also a couple million at 19 can easily set you up for life if you study the time value of money and invest wisely.

The problem we have in this country is the teaching of maximizing. It’s become a sickness and it’s creating vultures everywhere, the idea that making good money and good profits isn’t enough, you have to break the backs of everything and everyone, squeeze every dime, exhaust every recourse, is the issue today with America in so many avenues. I turned to my faith and decided to go into a field where the maximization of profit is not the goal. My family thought I had lost my mind as they’re all wealthy business oriented people. I’m finding more and more that God makes up whatever I’ve lost and he works in extremely mysterious ways when you walk the designed path. If someone offered me millions to go back and change what I do I would turn it down today that’s how sure I am that the right move was made.

And many in my family who are extremely wealthy cannot stop trying to make more in any way and they’re all fairly sick and miserable people. I hope they and people like them are able to overcome the demon of greed at some point.

The problem we have in this country is the teaching of maximizing. It’s become a sickness and it’s creating vultures everywhere, the idea that making good money and good profits isn’t enough, you have to break the backs of everything and everyone, squeeze every dime, exhaust every recourse, is the issue today with America in so many avenues. I turned to my faith and decided to go into a field where the maximization of profit is not the goal. My family thought I had lost my mind as they’re all wealthy business oriented people. I’m finding more and more that God makes up whatever I’ve lost and he works in extremely mysterious ways when you walk the designed path. If someone offered me millions to go back and change what I do I would turn it down today that’s how sure I am that the right move was made.

And many in my family who are extremely wealthy cannot stop trying to make more in any way and they’re all fairly sick and miserable people. I hope they and people like them are able to overcome the demon of greed at some point.
Morgousky turned to religion and away from capitalism. Look to the Lord for validation the next time you try your message board tough guy act too.

I don't think it has anything to do with money.
Reed is a basketball player and the NBA is the highest level of basketball in the world.
It's an honor and a hell of an achievement on his part to be even considered for a lottery pick.
If you are or ever have been an NBA lottery pick, what percentile does that put you in as far as anyone who's ever picked up a basketball.
The lottery pick is something that he has earned and it's perfectly understandable if he's ready to accept it this year.
This here ... it's not just that Hurley already has all the $$$ he wants and needs. It's that he has already proven himself by winning not just one championship, but two. Reed still has that hunger to prove he can be successful at the NBA level. Sure, he could have waited another year for it, but obviously he wants the challenge and believes he's ready for it.

I wish he had decided to come back, but it's not the same as the Hurley situation.

Reactions: ORCAT
Our fans are ridiculous…..go top 3 and have generations set for life or play another year at UK? He made the right call.

On the other hand all UK coaches are greedy….Stoops, Cal, and even Pope looks to milk UK for every dime they can where Hurley is happy with what he has.

IMHO, this a remarkable uninformed and short-sighted post.

Hurley has made tens of millions of dollars(or will at very least) Reed has not yet, and a couple million dollars does not set a 19 year old for life anymore unfortunately.
I agree completely with this, as was implicit in my reply to the OP's initial post.

I totally agree. Excellent insight. Shepard will have a few million dollars at the age of 19, or thereabout. In seven years that would become 5 or 6 million if untouched. More than any human needs for life. And the reality is that he will go on to the NBA and he will earn more. And like Mike Decourcy says are you a visitor to the NBA or a resident? This is why college athletics is dying. The common person looks at this and sees the absurdity of the money a select few make. Then they turn around and tell us it isn't a big deal if they only come for nine months and if they win or not. If it isn't a big deal then why pay them? I am not sure why I still watch and pay attention. I'm trying to make the break. AT this point it is pure laziness on my part that I don't seek out new interest or hobbies. I hate supporting this stuff but for now I continue.
Canebreak ... with no offense intended, I totally disagree with this post, as was implicit in my reply to the OP's initial post.

As much as Reed loved playing for UK, his ultimate dream was to play in the NBA. He got that chance. I totally agree with his actions and wish him the best.

Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.
You clearly don't know how money and life work.

$2M doesn't go terribly far for a kid who's got another 80 years to live.

You have no clue what his goals and financial aspirations are. Don't say dumb things like you did in your post. You're incredibly ignorant.

Reactions: Zissou87

I completely understand Sheppard’s decision to leave. 1 million dollars compared to 30 million dollars is a huge difference.

If he just put $2M in an IRA at this age by the time he is an old timer that money will be worth $20M at least.

Granted he could do that in NBA too...it builds down to what matters most to him.
You can not put $2 million in an IRA. The maximum a person can contribute to an IRA annually is $7,000. It would take Reed 285 years to contribute $2 million to an IRA. A 20 year old would need a lot more than $2 Million to be secure for life. In todays world with inflation a person that is 20years old will need at age 65 north of $10 million to have the same buying power that $2 million has today. To live comfortably today, not estravagantly, one needs to be debt free and besides social security, you will need a minimum of $1 million in investments with half being qualified retirement money. Most retired professionally athletes are broke within 6 to 10 years after retiring.

The kid from WKU is why you go and take the money. He came back and had a foot injury that didn't heal. He went from NBA lottery to working at Walmart. You have to always take in to account the worst case scenario.

Our fans are ridiculous…..go top 3 and have generations set for life or play another year at UK? He made the right call.

On the other hand all UK coaches are greedy….Stoops, Cal, and even Pope looks to milk UK for every dime they can where Hurley is happy with what he has.

What do you mean Pope? From the looks of it he’d definitely turn down more money he’s at his dream job. He’d probably demand less than Hurley. We’ve got a retarded AD that thinks UK has to pay outrageous money to obtain good coaches and we don’t. Calipari is one of the greediest SOB you’ll find I’ll give that. But Pope doesn’t appear to be greedy at all. Did you get lost on the way to the Louisville board or something?

How's about you come down from your clydesdales, your highness.

Obviously Reed made the right decision for him, but if he had returned, I'm not sure many of us would have thought it was unusual, given the legacy factor. I'm glad he's making millions. His legacy here is minimal, however.

I wish him well.

It was merely a discussion prior to his NBA draft entry. I know you pride yourself on pretending to be the smartest guy in the room, but you haven't created one compelling thread since you joined with your new account back in the winter. Try doing that instead of basically being the Raja Bell of this message board.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
IMHO, this a remarkable uninformed and short-sighted post.
Shortsighted as in delaying the millions he would have made any way by one mere year?

I know he made the right choice for him, but had he returned, I'm not sure some of you would be creating threads about what a huge mistake it would have been.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I believe Reed will regret leaving early as he gets older. He’ll look back and wished he had stayed to try and cement his legacy at UK and try to win a championship. If he had no intention of staying to start he should have went elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: ciphercomplete
What do you mean Pope? From the looks of it he’d definitely turn down more money he’s at his dream job. He’d probably demand less than Hurley. We’ve got a retarded AD that thinks UK has to pay outrageous money to obtain good coaches and we don’t. Calipari is one of the greediest SOB you’ll find I’ll give that. But Pope doesn’t appear to be greedy at all. Did you get lost on the way to the Louisville board or something?
We’re currently way overpaying him. Top 10 paid coach who’s never won a tournament game. He’s worth maybe $3mil not $5.5 with indefinite extensions if he makes it past the first weekend. He knew Mitch was panicking and took advantage of the situation.

Faster in the NBA the faster you are to a ridiculous 30 to 50 mil a year contract. Reed will be signi g a 5 year 250 mil deal a year sooner.

I believe Reed will regret leaving early as he gets older. He’ll look back and wished he had stayed to try and cement his legacy at UK and try to win a championship. If he had no intention of staying to start he should have went elsewhere.
The new hate for all Cal players is hilarous. No one, including Reed, expected him to play at the level he did last season. This is not a Chris Livingston situation.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
We’re currently way overpaying him. Top 10 paid coach who’s never won a tournament game. He’s worth maybe $3mil not $5.5 with indefinite extensions if he makes it past the first weekend. He knew Mitch was panicking and took advantage of the situation.

Mitch is Mitch, but the UK coach should always be top 10-15 in money at least. This is the premier job in the country when all is considered. You will never see a coach at UK paid anywhere near 3 million. It’s not feasible in todays climate. It’s a 365 24/7 job with many obligations outside of basketball.

Im not a fan of the details but I don’t think Pope looks at this as a job that’s dependent on those details. He knows the assignment and will coach for final fours regardless of the details. And I don’t think Pope would worry about huge financial increases anyway, he’d be more concerned with years down the road. I don’t think he fits into your origional statement at all. Barnhart is another story he gives the worst contracts I’ve seen in all of sports. Personally, I think he’s worked to lower the expectations of the basketball program over the years. He doesn’t want his coaches feeling heat as long as they’re making sweet 16’s and he doesn’t want to replace many coaches. He knows that’s how you get fired as an AD.

Reactions: RunninRichie
A lot of what you say I see the point of what you're saying and that was the main hope for maybe getting shep back for year 2.
Ultimately the kids work their whole life to get to the NBA. Reed going 3rd overall kinda mitigates all the discussion about if it was the right choice. No top 5 draft pick should, or will probably ever come back.

Reed got like 8 mil year 1. That's substantially more than his NIL opportunity even though I'm sure those were over a million. It really wasn't a hard choice and Reed made the right one. Now he can get to that 2nd contract money a year earlier and for sure be set for life.

Us as fans held out hope because who the kid is.... But we would all do the same or encourage our kid the same if they were on the fence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT