ADVERTISEMENT

Bol Bol: “At first I didn’t believe it and I thought it was a joke”

You can say that, but I believe thirst was at an all time high for Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe. Now a days it doesn't surprise me when we get players. Back then I was just praying
That's kinda the point to me though. Getting Cal and signing those guys just hit us like a nuke. It was all within a month or so; completely unexpected. Now we're watching and knowing that we can get these guys. It's not a pipe dream anymore. And man, Bagley has me salivating. I feel like he can have Wall/Davis type impact.

Not to derail a thread about another guy though. Bol would be great along with him :)

Bagley will be a tough one to reel in I think.
I concur unfortunately, kids from the west coast tend to stay closer to the west coast unless you count wiltjer and lee. It will take a major effort to get him to the east coast time zone. As already stated, never count out cal

I concur unfortunately, kids from the west coast tend to stay closer to the west coast unless you count wiltjer and lee. It will take a major effort to get him to the east coast time zone. As already stated, never count out cal
Maybe Bagley finds his way onto the U19 roster and starts developing a bond with his coach. That could help with the geography issue.

For some reason barley tape wouldn't play for me but holy crap Bol Bol is LEGIT

reminded me of the brow

For some reason barley tape wouldn't play for me but holy crap Bol Bol is LEGIT

reminded me of the brow
What blows me away about Bol Bol is he is a shooter. Kid just led AAU in 3 point shooting shot like 53 percent on a decent number of shots. He can hit free throws as well. He already has that Mo Bamba wing span at 7ft9 and I think I read where his standing reach is like 9ft7.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
What blows me away about Bol Bol is he is a shooter. Kid just led AAU in 3 point shooting shot like 53 percent on a decent number of shots. He can hit free throws as well. He already has that Mo Bamba wing span at 7ft9 and I think I read where his standing reach is like 9ft7.

Marvin and Bol Bol would compliment each other they can shoot, defend and play together. I take both or definitely one. the 2018 is loaded. Go get your players with a couple of lay overs from 2017 and kick butt!
Right now Bol Bol might be my favorite player.

If Bagley was an east coast kid I would feel a lot better about him.

Seems like Arizona has been good recently keeping guys who are close

Why will it take a major effort to get him away from the west coast? What if it’s as simple as Bagley liking Calipari and UK better than any other school?

I think the short list of west coast guys who have played for UK has more to do with the fact that Calipari doesn't recruit a lot of them - due in large part to the recent history that the west coast produces the least amount of talent geographically.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Wasn't T. Jones from out there too?

Why will it take a major effort to get him away from the west coast? What if it’s as simple as Bagley liking Calipari and UK better than any other school?

I think the short list of west coast guys who have played for UK has more to do with the fact that Calipari doesn't recruit a lot of them - due in large part to the recent history that the west coast produces the least amount of talent geographically.
Historty seems to be against us. If you're from the west coast and you have ucla, Oregon, and az sitting there who are comperors just like us with warm weather and smoking hot chicks as well, other than cal why would you chose uk? You have to look at it from their viewpoint as well. Sure we are soaked in tradition and winning but so is a school like ucla. The other problem is, the kid could go to Pepperdine or ranger college and still be the first overall pick. We understand the passion that goes into ky basketball, and the players do once they have played here but if they have never been accustomed to what we are then what other reason besides cal would a kid of his talent come here? I'm never betting against cal I'm just looking at it without the blue tinted glasses on.

Wasn't T. Jones from out there too?

Yeah I mentioned him in the above post. The last great player from California we got that I can think of right off the top of my head was prince. It's just really hard to steal them away from the west coast when they are as good as he is. Sure we can get a few guys here and there but they aren't on the same level as bagley.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Think if Cal can land Bagley when it's all said and done that he'd either be in the starting lineup or 1st off the bench for the All-Cal UK team.

Guy is gonna be a superstar in the Davis/Cousins/Towns mold and will be ready to dominate from the opening tip of the first exhibition game.

Day-um! That kid can play.

Him, Bagley, Quickley, Williamson and some returnees and The 'Cats are set.

lots of possibilities in this class........Barrett if he reclassifies.......Smart........Naz.........Shittu............Moore

Everyone mentioned above in what you said and I said are top 15 - SCARY

Historty seems to be against us. If you're from the west coast and you have ucla, Oregon, and az sitting there who are comperors just like us with warm weather and smoking hot chicks as well, other than cal why would you chose uk? You have to look at it from their viewpoint as well. Sure we are soaked in tradition and winning but so is a school like ucla. The other problem is, the kid could go to Pepperdine or ranger college and still be the first overall pick. We understand the passion that goes into ky basketball, and the players do once they have played here but if they have never been accustomed to what we are then what other reason besides cal would a kid of his talent come here? I'm never betting against cal I'm just looking at it without the blue tinted glasses on.

I see your point, but Cal is the reason they come here, whether they're from the east coast or west coast or any place in between.

Cal is reason enough for a player like Bagley to pick UK. Again, all it takes is a kid who wants to play for Cal, with other great players. Every kid is unique.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
I think the draft age factor is more of a real threat than some magical barrier that will keep him on the west coast.
Another factor is his family. He has a younger brother (2020 class) who is a D1 prospect, but isn't elite. If the family is looking for promises of a scholarship for the brother, that could work against UK. Arizona and UCLA have (allegedly) offered the younger brother. UK is unlikely to do so any time before Marvin is likely to make a decision.

And a note about Marvin Bagley: His EYBL team is 0-12. I know there are cases of superstar players who had no chance to win because their teammates sucked like a vacuum cleaner (see Anthony Davis's HS team for a great example), but I have to say, this gives me a little pause. I can't imagine many past superstars who would somehow find themselves on the very worst team, in any setting.

Bagley has been a national name since he was about 14, and I wonder how much that has effected him. He's a monster talent, and he knows it. There was a sense with Ben Simmons that he was just waiting for a (very large) paycheck, and I wonder if we'll see the same thing with Bagley.

All that said, yes please, let's get him to UK and see what happens.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT