ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Huggins-OT

Huggins forthcoming public apology:

89eabd7b62b2a2be5e45ba879d7b4022--homo-michael-scott.jpg

It all started with Xavier fans throwing rubber penis’s on the floor then it went from that to the Catholic F**s comment. Don’t know wether he will lose his job over it, but there’s worse things people do that don’t lose their jobs over.

Wish Cal would say something stupid like that so we could get out from under that contract.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think Cal's a great coach, but in spite of some gaffs (like his dumb comment about Dan Garcia 26 years ago) I don't think he's a bad person, and I'm grateful for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 80 Proof and Bryguy
I respectfully disagree. I don't think Cal's a great coach, but in spite of some gaffs (like his dumb comment about Dan Garcia 26 years ago) I don't think he's a bad person, and I'm grateful for that.
Totally agree but it's strange how he befriends the Huggy Bear type personalities inside and outside of sports. From womanizer Bill Clinton, to drunks like Huggins or Rod Strickland and politicians who want to dismantle public education. Doesn't this man work for a public university yet is very close with Kelly Craft?

• Haha
Reactions: 80 Proof and J_Dee
All the homophobes are pretty easy to point out in this thread. Sad to see that we have people on here who applaud when someone is being a blatant ass.

Reactions: jameslee32
Because the word he used is a homophobic slur. He’s not going to be in trouble for the catholic portion. It’s the homophobic slur that he’s going to get canned for.

Most of them don't believe in religion (allegedly) so he's in the clear there, lol.

A suspension is fine punishment. Hopefully he doesn’t lose his job.

Yeah, name any other employer that would allow you to go into a public forum representing them and call an entire group of people a slur.

I'm not saying this because I want him fired, I'm bringing this up because if he does get fired it isn't a woke mob forcing cancel culture down your throat. A (possibly inebriated) person said something stupid and may face repercussions.

"Homophobic, transphobic, lgbtqxyzphobic". Does anyone actually understand the meaning of phobia? Jesus people are soft.

Not too long ago, this was on NBC

Generally speaking, a joke on a television show and calling an entire group of people a slur aren't exactly the same. I highly doubt anyone would put "that's gay" in the same category as calling someone a gaf.

Gaf has, and always will be, much harsher as to it's implications.

I've never cared for Huggins. He reminds me of Bobby Knight for some reason. Always looks like he's about to lose it in games. But he's a good coach. He will probably get suspended. It's not okay what he said; but he apologized and firing him seems a bit harsh.

"Homophobic, transphobic, lgbtqxyzphobic". Does anyone actually understand the meaning of phobia? Jesus people are soft.
Turn yourself into a pretzel trying to rationalize for Huggins if you want, but using the word he used, twice, is indeed a homophobic slur. Society changes over time and you've got to change with it, unless you want to be the person saying slurs in public and then wonder why everyone thinks you're an asshole. Lots of movies from the '80s and many comedians used that slur many years ago. And then society evolved and decided it shouldn't have been acceptable then and it's definitely not acceptable now.

There's a pretty big difference between saying society is soft or easily offended (which it is) and using that as an excuse to well, excuse someone for using a slur. Go to work tomorrow and casually drop a slur or two. I imagine you'd have a lot more free time to post here. Life isn't an either/or. You can say society gets offended too often but also say Huggins is a complete jackass and possibly homophobic for using a homophobic slur on public airwaves, as the face of a public university. There's a handful of words you just don't say any longer, so, don't say them, esp. in public. Ain't difficult.

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Generally speaking, a joke on a television show and calling an entire group of people a slur aren't exactly the same. I highly doubt anyone would put "that's gay" in the same category as calling someone a gaf.

Gaf has, and always will be, much harsher as to it's implications.
In your opinion.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Turn yourself into a pretzel trying to rationalize for Huggins if you want, but using the word he used, twice, is indeed a homophobic slur. Society changes over time and you've got to change with it, unless you want to be the person saying slurs in public and then wonder why everyone thinks you're an asshole. Lots of movies from the '80s and many comedians used that slur many years ago. And then society evolved and decided it shouldn't have been acceptable then and it's definitely not acceptable now.

There's a pretty big difference between saying society is soft or easily offended (which it is) and using that as an excuse to well, excuse someone for using a slur. Go to work tomorrow and casually drop a slur or two. I imagine you'd have a lot more free time to post here. Life isn't an either/or. You can say society gets offended too often but also say Huggins is a complete jackass and possibly homophobic for using a homophobic slur on public airwaves, as the face of a public university. There's a handful of words you just don't say any longer, so, don't say them, esp. in public. Ain't difficult.
The term homophobic is just a stupid insult. Or do you actually believe Huggins has an acute irrational fear of homosexuals?

In your opinion.

There's a pretty easy way to measure this. Go to work and say something is gay, then call someone a gaffot later in the day. One will likely result in a writeup and the other will most likely result in termination.

Huggins, for all his warts and this gaffe, is likely the best basketball coach WVU is going to get, so they made a business decision. Not against the decision to bring him back, but it's obvious he made a pretty big mistake here.

The term homophobic is just a stupid insult. Or do you actually believe Huggins has an acute irrational fear of homosexuals?

It's arguing semantics. People were legitimately afraid of homosexuals in the 90's because we all thought AIDS was some airborne disease. It became a catch all word for which we never found a replacement.

It's arguing semantics. People were legitimately afraid of homosexuals in the 90's because we all thought AIDS was some airborne disease. It became a catch all word for which we never found a replacement.

So would that be homophobic or aidsphobic? Sounds like it was the disease that was not well understood vs actual gay people. If not for the disease, no one would have given a damn.

The word itself is apparently from the 60's but I doubt it was tossed around as much as it was in the 90's. Not hard to see people conflate Aids/Homosexuality since it was called "Gay Cancer" early on.

I highly doubt he's afraid of homosexuals....

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I highly doubt he's afraid of homosexuals....
Okay, how about this - just don't use slurs, especially in public. I know some will pretend to be dramatic and say "...but with the left you can't say anything now!!!" We all know what slurs are and we all know what shouldn't be said anymore and why. This is simple stuff yet some were rallying around Hugs and blaming "softness." Would anyone here say that we've become "soft" because we shouldn't use the N word now?

All I'm saying is, not everything needs to be a rallying cry. Just don't be a dumbass and drop slurs in public.

I think it was handled relatively well. I definitely could’ve seen him be fired though for sure and expected it actually.

And honestly, it may not be over. He could still lose his job if the students get silly.

At some point we have to stop ending people’s livelihood because they said a wrong word. Publicly and monetarily reprimanded for sure, first time. Second time, gone.

Reactions: TJWalkersBurner
Okay, how about this - just don't use slurs, especially in public. I know some will pretend to be dramatic and say "...but with the left you can't say anything now!!!" We all know what slurs are and we all know what shouldn't be said anymore and why. This is simple stuff yet some were rallying around Hugs and blaming "softness." Would anyone here say that we've become "soft" because we shouldn't use the N word now?

All I'm saying is, not everything needs to be a rallying cry. Just don't be a dumbass and drop slurs in public.
I’m the end it was the correct punishment for the alleged crime 🍺

I’m the end it was the correct punishment for the alleged crime 🍺
Firing might've been a bit extreme, I dunno. I don't like to immediately yell to fire someone. Guy is around 70 though and with a young crop of coaches out there who are hungry, I'm not sure it's worth it to keep Huggy. He's always just been in "pretty good" terrority.

I will continue to say it, thanks

You guys act like it’s the first time he said that word it’s Huggins he says and does whatever he wants - wvu hired him after the dui ordeal what did y’all expect a saint ?

I think too many people are getting unnecessarily hung up on the whole "being afraid" of homosexuals, which isn't it. He just thinks they're lesser-thans, which is even worse. You don't just flippantly toss around that slur (especially in public) if there isn't some sort of hate and/or superiority he feels. Huggins is too old and set in his ways, but thankfully that kind of trash thinking is slowly dying out.

Reactions: DanCat17
He just thinks they're lesser-thans, which is even worse. You don't just flippantly toss around that slur (especially in public) if there isn't some sort of hate and/or superiority he feels.
Oh good lord. One, how can you read Bob Huggins' mind? Two, guys have been busting each others balls for about a century using that word. Huggins didn't call gay people a slur. He called fans of a former rival school (and a religious school, to boot) a bad name because they threw dildos on a basketball court. Get over yourself with your self-appointed mind-reading abilities to sniff out "hate and/or superiority he feels".

What Huggins said was stupid. If I'm the WVU AD, I'm most worried that a guy who has always had rumors of alcohol abuse surround him is caught on a hot mike saying something that ridiculous. Huggins deserves punishment for that.

The pearl-clutching and fake offense about his comments, however, are also obnoxious. I highly doubt that many gay people are feeling denigrated because a 70 year old basketball coach said that. Instead it is obnoxious people who want to virtual signal and get offended on their supposed behalf.

Reactions: davtay and IdaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT