ADVERTISEMENT

BJ Boston stock up after workouts

I've been hard on the kid, but I'll say this about him, he kept his head up and kept trying. He’s just not very good, but maybe the system was a bad fit for him.
Lets be honest, Cal's offense isn't a good fit for today's players and if BJB kills it in his first year in the NBA, it won't look good for Cal.

Last edited:
It’s just workouts. BJ Boston isn’t a game time player at this point.
AAU pick up player. Not a college star at such a young age. G league player until body matures and he learns the game. More built for up and down pro game than a more cerebral college style. So young so let’s see what happens in a couple of years.

Reactions: oceanna and Gromcat
Good for him….sometimes just takes more time to get to where you need to be. He struggled mightily here, but I liked that he never seem frustrated and never put his head down. That’s hard to do for an adult, much less a teenager. Hope that he’s able to turn the corner and capitalize on the opportunity.
I, personally, would've liked seeing just a bit of frustration from BJ...it would've gone a ways toward convincing me his 'give a f*ck' gene wasn't broken

You guys are being too hard on him imo, he looks much stronger/more athletic if anyone has actually seen him recently. Dude watched his best friend die right in front of him, survivors guilt must be crazy for a 19 year old. Laced it up every game for us and did not quit...... I'll be rooting for him

You guys are being too hard on him imo, he looks much stronger/more athletic if anyone has actually seen him recently. Dude watched his best friend die right in front of him, survivors guilt must be crazy for a 19 year old. Laced it up every game for us and did not quit...... I'll be rooting for him
Dude got huge over the last few months. Doesn’t shock me one bit that he’s making strides. He for sure struggled here, but he showed glimpses. Everyone struggled here last year, I don’t put last year on him, I put it on cals offense. Only time will tell though 🤷‍♂️

Another factor that people probably don't want to hear: I imagine BJ Boston was mailing it in once the season went south (and I bet he wasn't the only one), and looking towards prepping for the NBA. Not sure how much he really cared to work on his game when he knew he only had a few months left. Which, i certainly don't agree with. But it makes me wonder if this singular year at UK was the outlier in an otherwise fantastic HS/AAU career.

We'll see soon. He's already starting to rise, which is what I figured would happen. Draft is next Thursday.

Another factor that people probably don't want to hear: I imagine BJ Boston was mailing it in once the season went south (and I bet he wasn't the only one), and looking towards prepping for the NBA. Not sure how much he really cared to work on his game when he knew he only had a few months left. Which, i certainly don't agree with. But it makes me wonder if this singular year at UK was the outlier in an otherwise fantastic HS/AAU career.

We'll see soon. He's already starting to rise, which is what I figured would happen. Draft is next Thursday.
we see it ever season...unintentional or on purpose, it happens (not always "mailing it in")...but definitely the intensity changes after a game or two in the NCAAT

I feel awful for what he witnessed and has been through, wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's unfathomable, really. My heart goes out to him for it and there really aren't words that can illustrate what that must have been like.

None of that has anything to do with my opinion on his game or athleticism. He is not ultra athletic by NBA standards. By NBA standards, his athleticism is pretty much middle of the road.

Watching BJ is high school...he was really good! And he did it against some of the best high school competition. The college game is an adjustment for anyone but 2 things really hurt a freshmen BJ:

1. He was just sooooo weak. Got away with it in high school but not college. He put on quiet a bit of muscle weight last summer but not enough to help him with college guys.

2. Our point guard situation really hurt him. We needed a point guard in the worst way to be able to get in the lane. And then throw in the Clarke injury just made it harder on BJ as well.

But those thinking he just sucks I'm guessing never watched him in high school. He has added an insane amount of muscle weight since March. I'm not shocked he has some GM's taking notice.

The lack of PG play hurt Boston more than any other UK player. He couldn't get the ball delivered to him in a position to make productive plays. Combine this with a lack of physical strength caused him to really struggle.

Reactions: gharding07
The lack of PG play hurt Boston more than any other UK player. He couldn't get the ball delivered to him in a position to make productive plays. Combine this with a lack of physical strength caused him to really struggle.
He missed a ton of wide open shots, PG or not. Also Askew wasn't making him attempt those silly dipsy do avoid contact layups every game.

If he projects as an NBA guard, he better be able to get his with or without the help of a great PG. jmho

Honestly, I only care about his tenure here. So, easily my least favorite Cal player and probably top (bottom) 5 of all time. JMHO.

I hear this a lot, and I just don't understand this mentality. The players are human beings, only caring about while they benefit your team (or not), seems so crass, regardless of whether or not you care about the NBA.

He didn't have a great year but I wish him nothing but success. I don't think for one minute that he didn't try or he was just biding his time here. I think he suffered from a lack of team talent and unbalanced roster.

I hear this a lot, and I just don't understand this mentality. The players are human beings, only caring about while they benefit your team (or not), seems so crass, regardless of whether or not you care about the NBA.

He didn't have a great year but I wish him nothing but success. I don't think for one minute that he didn't try or he was just biding his time here. I think he suffered from a lack of team talent and unbalanced roster.
His attitude and the way he carried himself just turned me off about him. Just a feeling and just my opinion. He seemed just a bit too cool and a little too disinterested. Again, just the way I saw it.

Watching BJ is high school...he was really good! And he did it against some of the best high school competition. The college game is an adjustment for anyone but 2 things really hurt a freshmen BJ:

1. He was just sooooo weak. Got away with it in high school but not college. He put on quiet a bit of muscle weight last summer but not enough to help him with college guys.

2. Our point guard situation really hurt him. We needed a point guard in the worst way to be able to get in the lane. And then throw in the Clarke injury just made it harder on BJ as well.

But those thinking he just sucks I'm guessing never watched him in high school. He has added an insane amount of muscle weight since March. I'm not shocked he has some GM's taking notice.
I’m not shocked yet I can’t say with even a hunch whether he can make it in the NBA or not.

Physical weakness really really hurt him this past season. So did not having good enough other guard play. I think in a couple years well see him develop in to an actual basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT