ADVERTISEMENT

Bitcoin and other Crypto (cont.)

You mean your investment in a fake currency created satirically as a joke and featuring the face of a dog on the logo didn’t pan out???!

Wow. Big news if true.
Good one.

I pretty clearly acknowledged I invested without much knowledge based on how people I knew had made money. It was also with funds that were expendable. You get credit for being an asshole tho I guess. FTR, my shiba and doge investment was much less than BC and Cardano.

Reactions: H. Lecter
I bought into a few crypto about a year ago, knowing nothing other than very general info and that several of my friends had done so with success. Got Doge, Shiba, Cardano & Bitcoin.

As of today, my $11k investment was at $3k haha. At this point just gonna ride it out and if I lose the remaining, which I understand is likely, so be it. Sucks but live and learn I suppose.
Buy the dip!

I bought into a few crypto about a year ago, knowing nothing other than very general info and that several of my friends had done so with success. Got Doge, Shiba, Cardano & Bitcoin.

As of today, my $11k investment was at $3k haha. At this point just gonna ride it out and if I lose the remaining, which I understand is likely, so be it. Sucks but live and learn I suppose.
Sounds like my situation. My $5500 is now $1300 so I'm going to let it ride. Most is in Cardano - was betting on their upgrades/releases last year to move the needle but that was very temporary.

Going to hold at this point and see what happens.

Sounds like my situation. My $5500 is now $1300 so I'm going to let it ride. Most is in Cardano - was betting on their upgrades/releases last year to move the needle but that was very temporary.

Going to hold at this point and see what happens.
Yeah no buying on the dip for me.

I knew the volatility was an issue and it was very much a high risk/high reward scenario. Who knows maybe it will come back around in about 10 years 😂

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
My buddy always proudly says this and acts excited about it yet it never reaches the heights it had last year or even comes close to it, if I recall correctly.
When the dip is deeper than the Grand Canyon it’s better to just jump off the cliff wall.

Isn't bitcoin similar to the hundreds of .com companies during 2000-2002 that had no revenues, no assets but their stock price was $100+? When one of my clients ask about it (I'm a financial advisor by trade), I equate it to baseball cards. Somebody says such-and-such baseball card is worth $X but only if someone else is willing to pay you $X for it. There is no revenue stream to discount, no business model, etc. on the price of a baseball card. There is no mathematical formula from which you can derive a 'true' value of a baseball card - it's all about what someone else's opinion is and their willingness to part with cash at the time. Same with bitcoin.

Having said that, I always feel a bit bad when someone gets scammed out of money and I feel bitcoin will turn out to be just another in a long line of scams.
Hey Gamecockcat, I’m also a financial advisor!

If you make a widget for a dime and sell your widget for a dollar you will become a millionaire. If you don’t make widgets but tell people they are worth $5.00 and their is a shortage of them and the price is going up, but you can sell them some, you will be a billionaire. But everyone who paid $25.00 for the widget when the news comes out it is worthless will go bust except the guy who bought early and sold at $24.00, those guys are called stockbrokers. Didn’t anyone learn anything in economics 101?

my economics professor at UK said you can dig a hole in the middle of a field and that is all it is, a hole in a field. But you can put a fence around it, put a tent over top of it and charge $5.00 to look in the hole. That out of 100 people, 10 people will say they got cheated, 40 people will see a hole and love it and 50 people will see Elvis laying in the bottom.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix and JoeSwag
If you make a widget for a dime and sell your widget for a dollar you will become a millionaire. If you don’t make widgets but tell people they are worth $5.00 and their is a shortage of them and the price is going up, but you can sell them some, you will be a billionaire. But everyone who paid $25.00 for the widget when the news comes out it is worthless will go bust except the guy who bought early and sold at $24.00, those guys are called stockbrokers. Didn’t anyone learn anything in economics 101?

my economics professor at UK said you can dig a hole in the middle of a field and that is all it is, a hole in a field. But you can put a fence around it, put a tent over top of it and charge $5.00 to look in the hole. That out of 100 people, 10 people will say they got cheated, 40 people will see a hole and love it and 50 people will see Elvis laying in the bottom.
Which professor? Cause that’s the dumbest effing thing I’ve ever heard and I think I know which professor would have said it.

• Haha
Which professor? Cause that’s the dumbest effing thing I’ve ever heard and I think I know which professor would have said it.
Can’t remember his name but I remember he came to UK from Wharton Business School and had a real dislike for stockbrokers.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Can you cash it out though? From what I’ve seen a lot of the exchanges are locked still so even if you want out you’re stuck right?

This was one of the main reasons I never invested. It seemed very difficult to ever convert coin to cash if you wanted to cash anything out. Also iirc one of the major exchanges went belly up in this crash too.

The other main reason was I knew government would never let this thrive for long. They were going to either regulate the hell out of it and/or intentionally destroy it. Looks like they went option b. Either way, zero chance the fed was ever losing their death grip

Reactions: chroix
The other main reason was I knew government would never let this thrive for long. They were going to either regulate the hell out of it and/or intentionally destroy it. Looks like they went option b. Either way, zero chance the fed was ever losing their death grip

That’s conspiratorial nonsense. People who believe in crypto don’t understand the banking system. The Fed is a combination of banks, and at the end of the day, dollars (e.g., bank notes) are backed by the assets of the banks (e.g., your house through a mortgage, collateral from a business loan, etc.). Banks “create money” through economic development (e.g., houses being built). Yeah, inflation happens - especially when economic destruction has occurred (e.g., houses being destroyed during a war) as the bank notes still exist but the assets backing them are gone.

Crypto is not backed by anything. The fed probably looked at it and laughed. If crypto were a real threat, it would establish itself as a global bank and loan out crypto dollars backed by assets. But guess what, the US put a law in place 100 years ago that only the fed can issue banknotes. So it’s US law - set up before computers - that limit what crypto could do here.

Can you cash it out though? From what I’ve seen a lot of the exchanges are locked still so even if you want out you’re stuck right?
Or crashing. Not sure about the locked part but these are businesses that ultimately need capital to survive.

Reactions: chroix
That’s conspiratorial nonsense. People who believe in crypto don’t understand the banking system. The Fed is a combination of banks, and at the end of the day, dollars (e.g., bank notes) are backed by the assets of the banks (e.g., your house through a mortgage, collateral from a business loan, etc.). Banks “create money” through economic development (e.g., houses being built). Yeah, inflation happens - especially when economic destruction has occurred (e.g., houses being destroyed during a war) as the bank notes still exist but the assets backing them are gone.

Crypto is not backed by anything. The fed probably looked at it and laughed. If crypto were a real threat, it would establish itself as a global bank and loan out crypto dollars backed by assets. But guess what, the US put a law in place 100 years ago that only the fed can issue banknotes. So it’s US law - set up before computers - that limit what crypto could do here.

That's an extremely boy scout version of the fed. Did you read that off their informational pamphlet?

That's an extremely boy scout version of the fed. Did you read that off their informational pamphlet?

Let me guess... you did your research on YouTube. And the Illuminati is behind it all?

Dude... I majored in this stuff in college. One of my professors is now on the Fed board (Christopher Waller). The focus of his class was how the Fed drives decisions on interest rates and in his opinion, the futility of much of it. My uncle (a PhD from U Chicago in Econ) set up banking systems in foreign countries. We spent a lot of time discussing this very topic.

Better than making an infantile comment, why don't you describe which part of what I said was incorrect?

Reactions: kyeric
Let me guess... you did your research on YouTube. And the Illuminati is behind it all?

Dude... I majored in this stuff in college. One of my professors is now on the Fed board (Christopher Waller). The focus of his class was how the Fed drives decisions on interest rates and in his opinion, the futility of much of it. My uncle (a PhD from U Chicago in Econ) set up banking systems in foreign countries. We spent a lot of time discussing this very topic.

Better than making an infantile comment, why don't you describe which part of what I said was incorrect?

Wrong again. They do all the things you said. Never disputed that. That wasn't the point of contention. They also function in ways the founders never intended.

Zero chance they were letting any crypto force them out of their role of currency control. Less than zero.

I'll continue to exclusively accept payment in the currency backed by the full faith and credit of the country with the greatest economy and military the world has yet known, thank you very much.

Reactions: Tskware and chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT