ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Simmons doesn't think De'Aaron Fox is a top 35 player, or even a top 8 player at his position.

You've never had very many tricks in your arsenal. After a few rounds of petty rebuttal, you've always historically resorted to swearing and name calling.

It's weird. You, @Heisenberg, and @Bostoncat are the trinity of merging opinions with petty attacks on people's character and intelligence. You guys don't know how to separate debate from petty attacks on people. It's weird stuff. You don't think Fox is a top 35 guy? Fine. Why go off like a fringe nutjob and make it personal? It's what you've always done, man.

If you're going to be like that, politely piss off. I'd rather not deal with your angsty condescension.
I’m a fringe nut job…That’s funny. You are the one who doesn’t have a good grasp of reality.

This is an example of the difference between reasonable disagreement and just a denial of reality.

I don't know if he's wrong here, unfortunately..
Well, yes, this year he's off to a fantastic start.. but I'm not ready to assume this is the Fox that we have going forward. Fox has been a pretty sub-par shooter for his entire career.

Your numbers show that he's pretty much right around the 30 mark.. so Simmons asking "is he a top35 player?" Isn't some outlandish take. Is Simmons maybe too bearish on him? Yeah probably.. but he's not giving hot takes here.
You should have assumed it, @LineSkiCat14 . You most certainly should have assumed it.

If he was more consistent he is easily top 5 but he has way too many times that he has 35 points and 10 assist one game and 12 points and 5 assist the next.

Like I said multiple times, Simmons is smart enough and fair enough to put Fox up there is Fox plays to the level he’s capable of and wins some games. Simmons isn’t Cowherd, he’s not just going to dig his heels in on a take just so he can be right.

He's been great this year. His shooting percentages did cool off a bit since this.. but I think that was to be expected, at least a bit.

And Sacramento seems to have won the Haliburton/Sabonis trade.. which at the time, I don't think anyone predicted. That looked like the same ol' type of trade the Kings would botch up.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He's been great this year. His shooting percentages did cool off a bit since this.. but I think that was to be expected, at least a bit.

And Sacramento seems to have won the Haliburton/Sabonis trade.. which at the time, I don't think anyone predicted. That looked like the same ol' type of trade the Kings would botch up.
I don't know much about the Kings, but Pacers fans here absolutely love Haliburton. Never heard even a hint of regret from anyone about that.

Both sides of a trade can be happy with the result, while still having one side seen as the winner. And I think you can make the case that was Sacramento here. They went from the yearly joke of the NBA, to being 3rd in the west, realizing they don't need BOTH Fox and Hali, and getting their big man for the next 5-6 years. Indiana is still more or less the same, but that can (and likely will) very well change over the next few seasons.

I guess both sides got what they wanted.. but looking back, this seems to be a real home run for Sacramento.. at least so long as Fox stays healthy lol.

Luca, Steph, Ja Morant.. are in your top3.. you still have CP3 and Kyrie.. and then you got some of the young guys in the mix, like Trae Young, Haliburton, SGA, Cade.

There's no way De'Aaron is anything higher than 6th, right off the bat, because I still have to give the nod to CP3 (when healthy) and Kyrie (when taking his meds).. and then it's where you want to put him in that 3rd group. I don't feel very confident putting him higher than those guys.
I'm taking him before paul or irving, either one

Reactions: TM2013

Yeah Fox and Monk have been doing things this year! Sabonis is really good for sure. I’m glad he has a legit running mate now. If Monk can get a bit more consistent he will get the respect his talent deserves. He seems to be putting it together this year.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Well, as of this time.. yeah 100%. Paul really doesn't have much more left in him, and Irving is a head case.
Keep in mind this was written at the start of the season. A lot has changed since then.
Irving is still top 3 in the game, headcase or not. When he plays he’s elite but even if you disagree I’ve always believed Fox was top 8, he just has a team to back him up now.

Irving is still top 3 in the game, headcase or not. When he plays he’s elite but even if you disagree I’ve always believed Fox was top 8, he just has a team to back him up now.
You have to actually play to be considered top 3. Irving hasn't shown the ability to be available in a long time. He can still be flashy and dribble cool but he hasn't made his team better since his days in Cleveland.

Reactions: MbergCat
You have to actually play to be considered top 3. Irving hasn't shown the ability to be available in a long time. He can still be flashy and dribble cool but he hasn't made his team better since his days in Cleveland.
He wasn’t allowed to play in New Jersey that’s why he left, none of the Covid stuff was his fault.

Maybe he was always top8. But Sacramento was kind of keeping him back with poor management and drafting.

But also times change things. Some of the great PGs early in Foxes career, are old now (Paul) or play half their games (Kyrie). I think Fox can make a case for an elite PG now.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I really believe the team your on matters a great deal for your legacy and "ranking".. we talk about how some players "start on 2nd base" by being blessed to walk into a great team/system (ahem, Curry).. well Sacramento was SUCH a bad organization in recent times, one could say Fox didn't even get to start on home base.. poor guy started in the locker room and had to fight/endure just to GET to home base!

He wasn’t allowed to play in New Jersey that’s why he left, none of the Covid stuff was his fault.
Even if you ignore his covid stuff, the last several years he is always going on long mysterious absences for mental health or minor injuries or some random crazy thing

I really believe the team your on matters a great deal for your legacy and "ranking".. we talk about how some players "start on 2nd base" by being blessed to walk into a great team/system (ahem, Curry).. well Sacramento was SUCH a bad organization in recent times, one could say Fox didn't even get to start on home base.. poor guy started in the locker room and had to fight/endure just to GET to home base!
Sure you can say that about some players, but not Curry. They won 29 games the season before he was drafted, and then didn’t have a winning record until his 4th season.

Sure you can say that about some players, but not Curry. They won 29 games the season before he was drafted, and then didn’t have a winning record until his 4th season.

I'm a Curry hater so I'm a little biased. It was more so what happened AFTER he got there, where the organization took off, had very favorable timing of contracts, and then grabbed Durant.

This is an example of the difference between reasonable disagreement and just a denial of reality.
"Not top 35" De'Aaron Fox was a top 24 NBA All-Star this year, while leading his team to one of the best records so far in the NBA.

Good call on going to the mat on this one, @Hoskins91 . You were always the George Armstrong Custer of picking the most ridiculous hills to die on within this message board community.

Looks like the Boston goofball is desperate for attention these days. Simmons is one of those public figures whose presence as a popular public figure continues to baffle my mind. I've never been impressed by him and I'm not sure how he's continued to be successful with his bizarre opinions and infantile rants.

F Simons!!!
Richard Simmons GIF

Luca, Steph, Ja Morant.. are in your top3.. you still have CP3 and Kyrie.. and then you got some of the young guys in the mix, like Trae Young, Haliburton, SGA, Cade.

There's no way De'Aaron is anything higher than 6th, right off the bat, because I still have to give the nod to CP3 (when healthy) and Kyrie (when taking his meds).. and then it's where you want to put him in that 3rd group. I don't feel very confident putting him higher than those guys.
You still got CP3 and Kyrie ahead of Fox this year? Seems like De'Aaron is top 5 now.

Last edited:
You still got CP3 and Kyrie ahead of Fox this year? Seems like De'Aaron is top 5 now.

This is silly. No one saw this coming from Fox when this thread was started. Almost everyone who watches the NBA thought the Kings should have traded Fox instead of Hali when that trade went down.

CP3 is still a better PG, he's just old now.

Kyrie I still give a nod to because again, when he's available and at his peak, he was phenomenal.. but he seems like he's on his way out of the league for other reasons.

This is silly. No one saw this coming from Fox when this thread was started. Almost everyone who watches the NBA thought the Kings should have traded Fox instead of Hali when that trade went down.

Kyrie I still give a nod to because again, when he's available and at his peak, he was phenomenal.. but he seems like he's on his way out of the league for other reasons.
There's no human alive, except for you, who would take Kyrie and CP3 over Fox today. Career-wise? Sure, but that's not the argument. And I saw it, @LineSkiCat14 . I saw it coming.

Now I'm probably going to keep this thread dancing for another month or so...

200w.gif

It’s a new day for point guards in the NBA. Steph is still Steph, Lillard has a few more years left…but the Pauls/Irvings/Westbrooks/Hardens are on their way out. It’s going to be Morant-Fox-SGA-Haliburton-Young in some order moving forward. Unless we’re calling a Luka a point guard, you obviously throw him in there too.

Last edited:
There's no human alive, except for you, who would take Kyrie and CP3 over Fox today. Career-wise? Sure, but that's not the argument. And I saw it, @LineSkiCat14 . I saw it coming.

Now I'm probably going to keep this thread dancing for another month or so...

200w.gif

I wouldnt take either of them today.. but this topic was from before this season even started, where Fox still had trouble getting his team to the playoffs and staying healthy.. while CP3 just got done helping the Sun's to one of the best regular season records last year, and Kyrie was still only slightly crazy.

I’m not sure you understand the difference between present and past tense. Paul WAS better, but he certainly is not still so.

Nobody with a functioning brain stem is taking today’s near 38-year-old version of Paul over this prime version of Fox.

I’m not sure you understand the difference between present and past tense. Paul WAS better, but he certainly is not still so.

Nobody with a functioning brain stem is taking today’s near 38-year-old version of Paul over this prime version of Fox.

Do you understand the difference? This thread and the takes in it were from when we just started the current NBA season.. Nothing Bill Simmons said was really wrong at the time. Fox just finished a season where he shot under 30% from the 3pt range and it was his 3rd season in a row where he failed to play 60 games. It wasn't outlandish to think this year wasn't going to go much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT