ADVERTISEMENT

"Not top 35 player" De'Aaron Fox leads Kings to 14-4 record over last 18 games and 42-27 overall.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Some of you guys really nailed it earlier this year when you agreed with Bill Simmons who said De'Aaron Fox wasn't a top 35 player. Remember? Simmons said trade Fox for Westbrook and picks?

Good call, fellas.

You know who you are.

At the time due to prior production he was not a top 35 player. Now he is producing at the highest level he has and has his team in a contending spot lol. Thankfully rankings arent etched in stone and are fluid due to performance, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
13 games and four and a half back of Denver. The king's are not out of question catching Denver for first place

11-2. Denver goes 6-7

Can't wait for the "it wasn't a bad take at the time" contrarian retort...

Because trading a 25 year-old fringe all-star for Westbrook and picks is always the way to go when you're rebuilding a franchise.

At the time due to prior production he was not a top 35 player. Now he is producing at the highest level he has and has his team in a contending spot lol. Thankfully rankings arent etched in stone and are fluid due to performance, right?
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have our winner! Congratulations! You're telling on yourself! I knew we'd get the contrarian "it wasn't a bad take at the time" line.

There's no reasonable argument to Simmons' suggestion that the Kings trade Fox for Westbrook and picks (which was the crux of the argument). Anyone could see the kid was about to have a breakout year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Do you agree that rankings of players and coaches can change due to results?
Do you agree that trading a (at the time) 24 year-old fringe all-star for Westbrook and picks is a bit shortsighted? I get that rankings change. That has nothing to do with how vastly shortsighted the trade suggestion was at the time.

So follow along: I'm napalming Simmons' argument, and that of anyone who agreed with that argument. It's as simple as that. It's okay that you and a bunch of other UK fans were wrong by downplaying Fox's potential. It happens.

Reactions: chroix
"Some of you guys really nailed it earlier this year when you agreed with Bill Simmons who said De'Aaron Fox wasn't a top 35 player". No one even talked about the hypothetical westbrook trade in that prior thread you made. Look back at the thread, it was literally everyone talking about whether It was all about him "being a top 35 player", including you.

"Some of you guys really nailed it earlier this year when you agreed with Bill Simmons who said De'Aaron Fox wasn't a top 35 player". No one even talked about the hypothetical westbrook trade in that prior thread you made. Look back at the thread, it was literally everyone talking about whether It was all about him "being a top 35 player", including you.
And the "not a top 35" player aspect of the argument was equally as silly. Some of our fans were making the case that they'd take a handful of 30+ year olds over Fox. Also silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have our winner! Congratulations! You're telling on yourself! I knew we'd get the contrarian "it wasn't a bad take at the time" line.

There's no reasonable argument to Simmons' suggestion that the Kings trade Fox for Westbrook and picks (which was the crux of the argument). Anyone could see the kid was about to have a breakout year.
Fox has been putting up these stats for a couple years now. I already said he was top 8 long ago for PG’s. He’s a monster.

Reactions: chroix
I don’t remember anyone in that thread saying Fox should be traded for Westbrook . Literally the only discussion was if he was a top 8 point guard

I don’t remember anyone in that thread saying Fox should be traded for Westbrook . Literally the only discussion was if he was a top 8 point guard
That's not true. I reviewed the thread last night. There was a sizable debate about whether Fox was even a top 35 player. You may not have made that argument, but others on this board did. Additionally, there were three streams of thought in Simmons' argument: 1. Fox was not a top 35 player. 2. Fox was not a top 8 point guard. 3. the broader point Simmons made: Fox should be traded.

Some of our fans chose to agree with one or two components of Simmons' argument, and focus just on their cherry-picked point by saying they agreed with one facet of his point, but it was clear that in my OP I was countering his overall argument, including his most logically derelict point that Fox should be traded because he was not really a top 35 player.

It's disingenuous to separate one point (not a top 8 point guard) from the broader stream of Simmons' rationale. Even if you placed guys like Holiday ahead of Fox in some arbitrary ranking system, you are still confronted with Simmons' overall argument: that Fox should be traded for Westbrook and picks.

That's not true. I reviewed the thread last night. There was a sizable debate about whether Fox was even a top 35 player. You may not have made that argument, but others on this board did. Additionally, there were three streams of thought in Simmons' argument: 1. Fox was not a top 35 player. 2. Fox was not a top 8 point guard. 3. the broader point Simmons made: Fox should be traded.

Some of our fans chose to agree with one or two components of Simmons' argument, and focus just on their cherry-picked point by saying they agreed with one facet of his point, but it was clear that in my OP I was countering his overall argument, including his most logically derelict point that Fox should be traded because he was not really a top 35 player.

It's disingenuous to separate one point (not a top 8 point guard) from the broader stream of Simmons' rationale. Even if you placed guys like Holiday ahead of Fox in some arbitrary ranking system, you are still confronted with Simmons' overall argument: that Fox should be traded for Westbrook and picks.
Yeah you’re right some debated the top 35 but nobody said he should be traded for Westbrook . I didn’t think saying he wasn’t a top 8 PG at the time was anything crazy . Glad he had a great season and cemented himself as one of the top PGs in the league this year .

UPDATE:

On his podcast last week (March 13th episode), Bill Simmons was raving about De'Aaron Fox and how he has a real case for 2nd or 3rd Team All-NBA this year. Talked a lot about his clutch numbers this year and how he's answered a lot of the questions that he previously had about him

So like I said again and again ... Bill Simmons is not Colin Cowherd. He's not going to dig his heels in on a bad take and never change his mind even after all the evidence shows he was wrong. Simmons is an honest and thoughtful guy when it comes to his NBA takes.

If you're interested @Son_Of_Saul take a listen to his podcast from last Tuesday. You'll be much more supportive of his takes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT