ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self better than Cal?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
Would you swap coaches with Kansas right now?

Up until last year, Self was known for losing early every year.

On the other side, Cal did smoke Self on his home court last year.

He’s clearly better at cheating, running a dirty program, rolling up serious NCAA violations, recruiting multiple women beaters and violent losers, and bringing disgrace and shame on the program.

Is that what you mean?
Would you swap coaches? Ive got a feeling the KU fan base doesn't really care about the possible violations.

Of course, he’s a better coach than Cal. Not sure why that’s even up for debate. I want nothing to do with him, but he’s certainly better.

And yes, I know we humiliated them on their home court last season.

Reactions: CROCAT
I’d take Cal. Real hair. If we let the cake bake I think he will kill this legal cheating stuff and we may have another run.
Wait one DAMN minute, what's wrong with Bill's hair?
Crockett%20childs%20cap%20b.jpg

Is this even a serious debate....of course Self is better than Cal at coaching. He's got 2 rings (one over Cal directly) to Cal's 1 ring.

Cal has been at UK a long time and UK is a better program to win rings...and yet Cal can't cash in more than 1 in 13 years at UK.

Is this even a serious debate....of course Self is better than Cal at coaching. He's got 2 rings (one over Cal directly) to Cal's 1 ring.

Cal has been at UK a long time and UK is a better program to win rings...and yet Cal can't cash in more than 1 in 13 years at UK.
He's been at KU longer, and can you really compare the two intelligently by looking at rings? If Liggins makes that 3 against UConn, we win a title, which isn't in Caliparis hands. If the refs called the shot clock violation against Wisconsin, we win another title, another example of it not being in the coaches hands. If you look at the games, I think Cal has put UK in the running to win a title more than Self. Maybe Im wrong, but we're very very close to UK sitting on 3 rings instead of 1 in the last 10 years. And the reasons Cal doesn't have 3 rings cant be blamed on him. Thats like blaming Tom Brady for his receiver dropping the ball.

Reactions: Bluvelvet

Duh, you did notice who cut down the nets last year and who passed UK in all time wins...definitely a better coach than Cal.

Reactions: blackcat714
He's been at KU longer, and can you really compare the two intelligently by looking at rings? If Liggins makes that 3 against UConn, we win a title, which isn't in Caliparis hands. If the refs called the shot clock violation against Wisconsin, we win another title, another example of it not being in the coaches hands. If you look at the games, I think Cal has put UK in the running to win a title more than Self. Maybe Im wrong, but we're very very close to UK sitting on 3 rings instead of 1 in the last 10 years. And the reasons Cal doesn't have 3 rings cant be blamed on him. Thats like blaming Tom Brady for his receiver dropping the ball.
Are we really going to do this?

Definitely a better coach, but wouldn't trade him.

Kansas has passed us in all time wins on Cals watch.

Titles 2>1

Does anyone doubt it's probable Self would have at least one or two extra titles with our teams?

Definitely a better coach, but wouldn't trade him.

Kansas has passed us in all time wins on Cals watch.

Titles 2>1

Does anyone doubt it's probable Self would have at least one or two extra titles with our teams?
Just curious, did you think Self was better last year when Cal creamed him on his home court? Or is this a recent change of heart?

Flawed argument here imo. There are a lot of teams every year that are one or two plays away from “winning it all” but don’t. In the end, it doesn’t matter how close you are. You either won the title or you went home like the other 67 teams. That is the blessing and the curse of march madness. Hell in the covid year KU was 17-1 in the big 12 and 28-3 overall. They were the consensus #1 going into the tourney that was cancelled. Self could very easily be sitting at three titles instead of two, but in the end it doesn’t matter. I think you should look at titles, Final Fours to gauge overall success

Just curious, did you think Self was better last year when Cal creamed him on his home court? Or is this a recent change of heart?
Felt that way for years. He's always maximized his roster and talent better. Doesn't get as much talent. Not sure he develops guys better than Cal and that is part of coaching. If we are talking Xs and Os, strategy, and roster management he is better.

One game just doesn't tell the whole picture. If the kind of talent Cal gets is in the zone then no amount of coaching will help you. Just like that Zion team was when they blew us out. Cal calls it "running into a buzz saw".

Don't know about you, but I'd rather have won a title last year than beat the doors off the eventual champion on their home court. Would also be nice to not lost the all time wins lead.

Cal has his over Self so that’s a wash.

Cal has his over Self so that’s a wash.
Granted
Cal got over Self with AD. Self got one over Cal and Derrick Rose.

But now we have last year's title to Kansas and Self has led Kansas to all time wins lead while Cal had first place at one time at UK. So that is point, set, match to me!

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
People must be forgetting Self went 14 years between his titles. If he won at UK in 2008 people would have been calling for his head a decade later.
They played at a good high level. They always been ranked higher and never lost to a cupcake. KU was down 15 games of all time wins just in 2019. They now up 5.

I would take anybody over Cal right now. Whoever you wanna give me. If it means I don’t have to listen to his nonsense or watch his idiotic coaching then sign me up. And I’m not even joking.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
They played at a good high level. They always been ranked higher and never lost to a cupcake. KU was down 15 games of all time wins just in 2019. They now up 5.
Never lost to a cupcake? Give me a break. Kansas is routinely bounced in the first weekend as a top 4 seed. Remember Bucknell? He has the same number of Final Fours in 19 years at Kansas than Cal does in 13 years here. He's lost to Oral Roberts at home when Kansas was ranked #3. He's lost to a 2-6 UMass team.

People on this board don't realize that every one of Cal's contemporaries have the same faults he does, they just don't know about because they don't follow Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc. as closely as they do UK. Every coach of a blue blood loses to cupcakes. Every coach of a blue blood flames out early in the tournament every now and then. Every coach of a blue blood "underachieves" in the tournament most years, because it's damn hard to actually win a title. Every blue blood fanbase complains about their coach's in game coaching ability, whether it's inbound plays, half court sets, half time adjustments, or time out usage. Go to any blue blood message boards after a loss and it'll look exactly like it does here now. Cal's flaws are not unique.

Reactions: Bluvelvet
He’s got 2 titles and that’s impressive. But I know one thing, our fans would have had his job over all those tournament flame outs king before we was able to get those titles. They were a national joke for a long time.

Give me your reasons. Before last year, this board deemed him the worst due to his annual early departures in march...like clockwork. So does 1 year excuse all that, or did you think he was better all along?
Take a look at who has the most tourney wins the last 10 years

Let’s see. Winning coach, great individual and top drawer recruiter versus a sticking toupee wearing cheating scumbag. Hmmmm.

At least Cal isn't a scumbag. I mean I want to win but Self is trash as a human being. So.e if his players have done some appalling things and he stays by them nomatter what. Of course they won last year but Self did had a 15 year span bewteen titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT