ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z

Also not sure how many of you noticed? But right after Z got into the game Cal sent Ugo to the scorers table. Then Z scored a basket and Cal pulled him back. Had he missed? It probably would have been 2 minutes, then no more Z. That's scary.

Let the kid play, you let DJ go out there and go 4 for 40 the last 5 games Or whatever it is. Z is a Stat stuffer:

20 mins, 18pts, 5 rebs, 4 blocks.

Ugo 15 mins, 5pts, 1 reb, 1 block.

Every game Z has played decent mins he has blown Ugo out.

Also not sure how many of you noticed? But right after Z got into the game Cal sent Ugo to the scorers table. Then Z scored a basket and Cal pulled him back. Had he missed? It probably would have been 2 minutes, then no more Z. That's scary.

I noticed that too. It was a stretch of a few minutes without the clock stopping, and he had a chance to make some plays. If the clock would have stopped, it may have turned out differently.

I noticed that too. It was a stretch of a few minutes without the clock stopping, and he had a chance to make some plays. If the clock would have stopped, it may have turned out differently.
Guaranteed. Cal got lucky. He was ready to pull him after his normal 2-3 mins.

Z has as much potential as anyone on this team. Been very easy for me to see. Kid is extremely raw however, especially on defense and some here did not want to allow Z anytime on the court to work through it. Ok to give Edwards a full season, DJ a full season, Bradshaw a half season since becoming ready but nope Z got 2-3 games and was just too lost on defense to play. A very good Z makes us a national title favorite. Yesterday was game 11 since he became eligible. Where could we be as a team with Z playing even 15 minutes per game during that time? It’s unfathomable how cal could screw this up but he did and I’d be shocked if Z is given the same opportunity moving forward.

Big Z running the two man game with Reed and our other guards reminds me of the Denver Nuggets offense. It forces bigs out of the lane as Z is a threat to shoot from 3, keep the ball and drive, and is a significantly better passer than the other centers on the team.
Agree, Ugo and Bradshaw are not threats from the outside. Z is definitely a threat and can pass. Defender on Z cannot provide much help as Z will stick the 3. As Clark Kellogg says a stat sheet stuffer. Cannot expect much D but he can rebound and intimidate shots.

Z had 18 points yesterday. I’m willing to bet UGO hasn’t been in double figures more than once this year and Bradshaw no more than twice. Z should be getting 25-30 minutes a game if he can stay away from stupid fouls.

Ok well didn’t think I needed to explain what is pretty much common sense. Thought his defense was solid today. It has been bad in the past. Much of that was him just adjusting I think. That make you feel better?
I don't understand why people have to constantly bring up our players' faults when they compliment them. Or is it just Z?

Big Z spaces the floor. Our other bigs clog it up. He needs to work on his footwork defensively, but it's not like Ugo and AB are great at one on one defense. They got schooled by Gonzaga.

Reactions: westerncat
This is a great match up for Big Z. A guard oriented team with big men who are mainly rebounders/dunkers. He struggles against a strong big man with any skill.
Exactly right. He, at this point in his career, is too light to play effectively against post players with girth. He gets bodied out of position and then fouls. I love Z. I think he has truly great basketball skills and when he physically matures and puts on 25 lbs he is going to be incredible. I just hope that occurs as a sophomore at UK and not bouncing between a 10 day NBA roster spot and the G-League.

Reactions: Kyhoward
You did see him give up like 4 dunks in a row, right? His defense isn’t suspect, it’s horrendous. There is a place for him against certain types of teams but let’s not get crazy here.
Paet of that was to due with the way we was playing defense. The strategy was to take bamas 3 point attempts away so with that came easier looks at the rim. I thought Z played well defensively. He was calm under the basket and is much as a deterrent to opposing gaurds as Ugo kr Bradshaw. Plus he is much much better offemsively.

For all of you who have said that Big Z should not be playing meaningful minutes, you have no basketball IQ
Yeah, he looked good against a team that plays no defense, but see what he does against MSU and TN before you make him a lottery pick. You judge performance based on consistency not one game.

I don't understand why people have to constantly bring up our players' faults when they compliment them. Or is it just Z?
I brought up his past defensive issues bc that seems to be what most cite when making the case for him not playing more. As I explained, my opinion is that while he has had some issues, especially with physical big men, his benefits far outweigh those. Especially when comparing him to Bradshaw. I think even against physical players he can be utilized with the pick and pop.

This is a UK message board didn’t realize it was wrong to point out things that our players do well and some of the things they need to work on. The fact that I was using it in the context of propping him up was hardly negative. But, if you wanna frame it that way go right ahead.

Yeah, he looked good against a team that plays no defense, but see what he does against MSU and TN before you make him a lottery pick. You judge performance based on consistency not one game.
Almost sounds like you don’t want him to do well. Very strange take!!!! He’s had games of 16 minutes (13 points), 12 minutes (11 points, 11 minutes (7 points, and 20 minutes (18 points). 4/5 games he has been given an opportunity to play double digit in minutes he has produced. Only his 2nd game at SC where he played 10 minutes did he fail to really produce much with only 3 points. The other 6 games he played a total of 12 minutes total which basically might as well not even played. Had he saw 10-15 minutes action in each of those 6 games our team would be a lot better off as a result as he would have progressed that much more. It’s easy to tell he needs time on the court. He has absolutely looked lost out there but he has to play to find his way. Yesterday was really the first time he has had extended minutes on the floor and he looked more comfortable as the game went along.

Big Z desperately needed this game. He needed an opportunity to play extended minutes and begin adjusting to NCAA basketball. The kid simply oozes talent that most 7’2” guys don’t have.

I’d give about anything to have him back next season.
We all know there is a lot of 7’ 2” people as well. Like maybe 2000 in the world of billions and I’d assume less than a hundred within playing age.

Let the kid play, you let DJ go out there and go 4 for 40 the last 5 games Or whatever it is. Z is a Stat stuffer:

20 mins, 18pts, 5 rebs, 4 blocks.

Ugo 15 mins, 5pts, 1 reb, 1 block.

Every game Z has played decent mins he has blown Ugo out.
I don’t disagree with you.
But, the stats don’t tell the whole story. In prior games Z was lost on defense allowing too many easy baskets. He was much better with that yesterday.

Like Edwards had just 5 boards yesterday, but he rebounded better than all season in that most of those 5 were tough rebounds, not just the ball coming to him.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Sorry, but you're wrong. Best rebounder of the bunch statistically. Really not close. 13 per 40 Trey is next at just under 10 per 40.
That's also with him being out around the perimeter a lot. If he got more minutes and was strictly a back to the basket player he likely would have even more. Of course that isn't his type of game. He still makes the most of it.

Paet of that was to due with the way we was playing defense. The strategy was to take bamas 3 point attempts away so with that came easier looks at the rim. I thought Z played well defensively. He was calm under the basket and is much as a deterrent to opposing gaurds as Ugo kr Bradshaw. Plus he is much much better offemsively.
That makes sense and after hearing Cal explain that was the strategy I recant. I do see him lost at times on defense in games. Same in practice as the other guys are constantly yelling and pushing him to get to the right spot. He’s learning for sure

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT