ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z Meeting with Pope Monday!!

I want Z here….
BUT I understand as a coach myself in the past.
I don’t want to win with past coaches players only….

Let Pope play this out. I promise you this dude wants to be THE 1st PLAYER to COACH…. To win a championship at UK….
Joe B Hall already did this. Played for Kentucky in 1948-49 and coach in 1973, won title in 78'. Almost 50 years ago.

Interesting joe b was 25 years away from playing days at uk and Pope 28 years.

Last edited:
You seed Perry isn’t a starter because he isn’t like Reed.

I said Reed wasn’t a starter. Work on your reading comprehension.

You think you don’t suffer from Calipari PTSD but you do if you think Perry isn’t an offensive firework that can start year one under Pope just because he’s the 73rd player instead of one of Cal’s fancy 5 stars.

In fact, I think Perry would be more competent in Pope’s system than a sophomore fancy 5 star 3rd ranked in his class DJ Wagner would be. I think Perry would outperform Wagner right out of the gates even if we kept Wagner.
If Kentucky gets who pope wants Perry ain’t starting unless he is miles better than everybody thinks. Perry is a good player but expecting him to be a starter isn’t fair to him. Reed was an anomaly. On the reading comprehension comment, Reed should have been a starter and virtually was. My point still stands, Reed can do things Perry can’t

Perry isn’t a starter right away, I like the kid and he is good but he isn’t a Reed Sheppard clone. His situation is alot different than what reeds was.
Reed is a much better athlete than people give him credit for. NBA scouts wouldn't be giving a 6'3" white kid a look unless they didn't see that. Perry is a great basketball player, but not the explosive athlete that Reed is.. Trent Noah also needs to come here. A mountain Kentucky kid who is 6'7" with guard skills. I don't know why that Cal at least didn't think he could come off the bench for him some day..

Come on back Big Z!!
Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

You seed Perry isn’t a starter because he isn’t like Reed.

I said Reed wasn’t a starter. Work on your reading comprehension.

You think you don’t suffer from Calipari PTSD but you do if you think Perry isn’t an offensive firework that can start year one under Pope just because he’s the 73rd player instead of one of Cal’s fancy 5 stars.

In fact, I think Perry would be more competent in Pope’s system than a sophomore fancy 5 star 3rd ranked in his class DJ Wagner would be. I think Perry would outperform Wagner right out of the gates even if we kept Wagner.
This!!! I agree 10000%

The Big Z IQ test.

He'll pass it or he won't.
Exactly. Same for his handlers too . If they actually look at how 5 men are used in Popes offense vs what Calipari does (especially without Welch), it would take total Morons to not see UK as the better fit .

I bet when they sit down, Pope shows him film on how he will use him. Not sure how Z says no afterwards.

Itd be the exact way they used Khalifa if I'm guessing. The star of the zoom offense who hands off to the guard for the 3 or uses his great passing for someone like Thiero cutting to the rim. And hell, option 3 could be Z just turning and popping the 3 himself. I'm 6 to midnight picturing Z in Pope's offense.

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Calipari vs Pope
Recruiting battles are up first folks. Nothing will say Pope can compete like winning recruiting battles against The Cow in the hog pen.

Quaintance
Big Z
Some other uncommits...
..lets see how he does.

Reactions: Fox2monk and catben
Yes but those driving lanes open up because everybody is a shooting threat and in constant motion, adous defender can sag off and make things difficult
Thiero can be a good shooter if he commits to working on it. I feel like Cal didn’t have him focused on that aspect of his game. Think Patterson and Washington who both focused an off season on improving their shooting range and how that paid off for them. Improved range improves his NBA stock as well.

Thiero can be a good shooter if he commits to working on it. I feel like Cal didn’t have him focused on that aspect of his game. Think Patterson and Washington who both focused an off season on improving their shooting range and how that paid off for them. Improved range improves his NBA stock as well.
Fair, obviously if theiro wants to come back you take him.

We need to give ourselves some props as a fanbase. We went from universally being furious when the hire was announced, to absolutely showing out today when it mattered most. You know recruits are gonna see what happened today and it will only help us going forward
We? Speak for yourself. After Scott Drew said no, I pretty much expected Pope to be hired and I was never unhappy about bringing back this former Wildcat.

Reactions: trueblujr2
As far as a starting group goes, Perry is the only one not good enough to help us win an SEC title.

Swap Perry with another really experienced guard in the portal and that's a super talented starting 5 IMO
Most thought the same thing about Reed. I Don't think when it's all said and done, Pope will play favorites.

Most thought the same thing about Reed. I Don't think when it's all said and done, Pope will play favorites.

Anyone expecting Travis Perry to be Reed Sheppard 2.0 is in for a letdown.

He's super talented, I'm so glad we got him, but he's not in the same class with Shep.

Wait? So we like Z again? Earlier today in the other thread he was weak and clumsy and we didn’t need him.

I get why we do it, but this is the type of reactive behavior that makes me Leary about the pope hiring. He’s the same guy that we were all furious about last Thursday

Oh that’s actually really interesting. I didn’t think we had a shot to get him back. Figured he was done with Cal but also tired of Lexington since sometimes you relate things mentally. Assumed he’d get closer to wherever home is and go to his “hometown university” or something.

But he made a huge difference last season in the games that he got his due run…. Game changer…does the dirty work. Cal just preferred other dudes
He was leaving to leave Cal and we were his only major offer I believe. He has no ties to any other schools. Great chance Pope gets him to come back. And his shooting stroke was fine. He just needs repetition and to work on a couple things; his ability to get where he wants off the dribble makes him valuable if he can learn to do something after he gets there.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Wait? So we like Z again? Earlier today in the other thread he was weak and clumsy and we didn’t need him.

I get why we do it, but this is the type of reactive behavior that makes me Leary about the pope hiring. He’s the same guy that we were all furious about last Thursday
My stance was let him go if he really wants to be with Cal. But I'd take him back. He can shoot and has great court vision. And a nice passer. Literally a perfect player for Pope's offense.

He could, he could also make it harder to get open looks for other guys. I like adou and if he comes back great but you can get guys like him in the portal
You mentioned the kid from Drexel, Williams I presume as someone else mentioned him too. He took a total of 3 threes last year so if that is who you are referring too he will not cut it in popes system, Popes rotation at BYU all took at least 3/game.

Reactions: WildcatSir
You mentioned the kid from Drexel, Williams I presume as someone else mentioned him too. He took a total of 3 threes last year so if that is who you are referring too he will not cut it in popes system, Popes rotation at BYU all took at least 3/game.
Williams is a center and can pass, that’s why he will play, popes system can have one guy who can’t shoot in it, but if you had Williams & theiro you would have 2 guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT