ADVERTISEMENT

Big Z not with team

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Kentucky Basketball put out a statement saying he isn’t with the team for the game and was given extra time for him to stay in Croatia, expect him to be back next week.

Its crazy how the NCAA has no problem clearing similar players like Big Z, but since he plays for UK they are talking their time…..

Man, if he'd been eligible, he would have missed about half the games so far. He's been sick half a dozen times, too sore, visiting home, etc.

Plus he missed about half the semester of school.

Kentucky Basketball put out a statement saying he isn’t with the team for the game and was given extra time for him to stay in Croatia, expect him to be back next week.

Its crazy how the NCAA has no problem clearing similar players like Big Z, but since he plays for UK they are talking their time…..
I've also learned that "official announcements" from Cal or UK Athletics can't really be considered truth considering the amount of misinformation regarding Z throughout this fiasco. I am expecting Z to be officially off the team until I see him on the court. I would have to guess that he will not return unless he gets word that he's been cleared. He will not return to the US without a green light and I don't blame him.

Last edited:
The NCAA eligibility office is closed which is why he probably stays home a little longer. When does UK actually start classes back up if they haven't already?

January 8th 2024.

It always amazed me how late college spring semester started when in school. I went to mtsu in TN and we would start on a Thursday for whatever reason. Usually the Thursday before MLK day and then go 2 days and off monday.

Anybody remember Gunther Benkhe (I believe was his name)? 7'4" German kid who was supposed to play for the Cats, but never did? Was even on campus for a bit (I remember the camera doing a crowd shot of him at one of our games; not sure if he ever enrolled). Anybody remember the story of why he didn't end up playing for us, and what his career eventually became? TIA

Anybody remember Gunther Benkhe (I believe was his name)? 7'4" German kid who was supposed to play for the Cats, but never did? Was even on campus for a bit (I remember the camera doing a crowd shot of him at one of our games; not sure if he ever enrolled). Anybody remember the story of why he didn't end up playing for us, and what his career eventually became? TIA
I was just looking him up today! Never even knew about this dude, until the other night, when I was watching the 1984 tournament game against Illinois. They showed him in the crowd and said he was a recruit for UK, starting in the 1985 season. Read he was here for 5 days and left because of his girlfriend. Don’t believe he ever played any ball over here in the States.

I was just looking him up today! Never even knew about this dude, until the other night, when I was watching the 1984 tournament game against Illinois. They showed him in the crowd and said he was a recruit for UK, starting in the 1985 season. Read he was here for 5 days and left because of his girlfriend. Don’t believe he ever played any ball over here in the States.
Joe B said he came to his house and cried about his girlfriend. Joe said his wife told him he could get plenty of girlfriends at UK. He was homesick and went back to Germany.

I think the writing is on the wall that they’re not going to clear Z. And Cal even admitted it’s an amateurism issue. And yeah it’s silly that kids in high school can make money off NIL and Z getting paid by a club overseas when he was in high school is against the rules but play for pay isn’t the same as NIL and that’s been made clear and Cal probably knew that.

I think in this instance is was low risk high reward by Cal. I don’t think taking a chance on Z hurt us.

Not like with Sharpe where we probably lost out on the kid that went to Arkansas.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
If we're going to get international players, we MUST do a better job getting them cleared. We mishandled this situation early on by dragging it out and now we're once again at the mercy of the NCAA. Whatever we are doing with our approach isn't working and we need to make it better.

I think other programs are able to get them through because they’re just not very forthcoming with all the stuff that would pertain to these kids amateur status and the ncaa isnt going to question it unless someone gives them a reason too.

Gonzaga doesn’t have to worry about a dozen sports media people trying to make a career out of writing the article that nails them or ruins a potential banner season for them. We do. So our admission office probably feels more pressure than most of make sure they’ve submitted every thing. Cal is probably especially paranoid after the Derek Rose stuff and i don’t blame him.

Again, you were the loser who shoehorned it into the conversation. Now you’re projecting. Classic…
Dude....I was commenting on how it'd be easier for Z to get here.

It's called a joke...humor....comedy.

Apparently it's over your head.

Now, sit back, relax and enjoy the game. You shouldn't allow your liberal leanings to allow yourself to be so easily triggered on a basketball forum.

Dude....I was commenting on how it'd be easier for Z to get here.

It's called a joke...humor....comedy.

Apparently it's over your head.

Now, sit back, relax and enjoy the game. You shouldn't allow your liberal leanings to allow yourself to be so easily triggered on a basketball forum.
Z isn’t having problems gaining entry into the States, so your “joke” was just a really lame shoehorning of a racist dog whistle. It just doesn’t have a place on this board. Keep it about basketball if you want me to keep it about basketball.

Loser.

Z isn’t having problems gaining entry into the States, so your “joke” was just a really lame shoehorning of a racist dog whistle. It just doesn’t have a place on this board. Keep it about basketball if you want me to keep it about basketball.

Loser.
Dang.....what a limited mind you have.

The Cats won....it's a good night.

Relax....it's just a chat page. Is your life that empty you get so easily triggered?? Must suck to be you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT