ADVERTISEMENT

Big men injuries

Recovery Time

The link is straight from the AJC, who covered the Bowers injury. Typical recovery time is 6-8 weeks. He made it back in 3. Who here thinks any of Cal's pampered players would play again in 3 weeks? Heck, Terrence Clarke sat out three months with an ankle sprain. Wheeler supposedly had an ankle sprain last year and was out the last 2.5 months of the season. So, there is proof that Cal's players take way longer to come back from similar injuries.
Jeff Sheppard had a high ankle sprain in the SECT and was the MOP of the FF in 1998.

Somebody check if the trainer who stayed up all night treating Shep's ankle is still alive. Maybe we could re-hire him.

This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

I mean we weren't the favorites but we were ranked #7 in the country, probably would have been top 5 in the next poll and almost certainly win the SEC-Tournament (we won the league by 3 games)- so I am guessing we are either a #1 seed or a top #2 seed.

And would have had arguably the best backcourt in the country going into the tournament.

Absolutely could have been a popular pick to win the title

I mean we weren't the favorites but we were ranked #7 in the country, probably would have been top 5 in the next poll and almost certainly win the SEC-Tournament (we won the league by 3 games)- so I am guessing we are either a #1 seed or a top #2 seed.

And would have had arguably the best backcourt in the country going into the tournament.

Absolutely could have been a popular pick to win the title
Yeah thanks for the WOT admitting that what I said was correct.

I notice you spent zero energy correcting the cowboi spewing nonsense trying to manufacture a title in 2020 that never happened so he can somehow rehabilitate Cal's fading reputation.

Do you all really not understand that injuries and surgeries aren't created equal? This is like comparing two different cancer diagnoses and wondering why the recoveries aren't the same.
Thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now.
No, it's nothing like two cancer diagnoses. Hips compared to feet.

Reactions: Graham51
... not Program, not Tradition ... but, with a clear conscious still cashes that big paycheck.
The first responsibility of every professor in the university is to teach their students. UK is still -- unlikely as it looks since it looks to be primarily a landlord -- an institution of learning.

Thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now.
No, it's nothing like two cancer diagnoses. Hips compared to feet.
Sure, stay with hips compared with feet. Still aren’t comparable injuries. Hips are about as easy of a bone you can operate on these days. Feet aren’t. Full hip replacements take a few hours and are outpatient procedures.

Cal has sucked for years? That’s not true. We were the favorites to win it all in 2020 before Covid shut the season down so you’re wrong.
We were the “favorites”?! Lmao nah. We were 1 of about 30 teams that could’ve won it, however. We were literally nowhere even remotely close to being the “favorites”. Good Lordy. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah thanks for the WOT admitting that what I said was correct.

I notice you spent zero energy correcting the cowboi spewing nonsense trying to manufacture a title in 2020 that never happened so he can somehow rehabilitate Cal's fading reputation.

I mean yeah- I said we weren't the favorite- idk what you want from me.

How is it that Bradshaw breaks a foot 8 months ago and is still out? Onyenso breaks a foot 4 months ago and is still out. But Georgia star TE Bowers breaks an ankle 3 weeks ago and is back in the lineup. Can somebody explain this to me?
Bowers’ injury was a sprain, not a break.

These threads tend to go better if you don’t start from a false premise.

Reactions: Graham51
Bowers’ injury was a sprain, not a break.

These threads tend to go better if you don’t start from a false premise.
Either way the guy had surgery 3 weeks ago and was killing it Saturday.

If you weren't being combative but rather supportive then I apologize, it seemed by the timing and your "tone" that you were being a scold.

No I was just saying that I agree with you that we weren't the favorite, but that team was dangerous and could have made a run.

That's all I was saying, didn't even read any of the back and forth between you and the other poster, was just chiming in on that team. Didn't think I had a "tone" haha was just chiming in.

No idea. Rodgers did. One is 38. One isn't.

Did Bradshaw have surgery?
Yes. He injured his foot in March and was hoping it would heal without surgery. It did not, so he had surgery on his foot at the end of June with the hopes he would heal in time to play around the beginning of season. So it has not taken 8 months for his initial injury to heal. It has taken approximately 4 months for his surgically repaired foot to heal. You may think that's a long time, but I have no idea what kind of surgery it was and what is normal for it heal enough to play basketball, so I can't really say if it took longer than it expected or not.

April 1 2009

Gold Standard. Best of the best. No excuses. Going to catch UCLA

Before biggest game of new season November 13, 2023

Let’s just compete guys. Cal cares!!!! Crying to Frank Martin

And yet many don’t see a change?

Reactions: Cawood86 and know1
April 1 2009

Gold Standard. Best of the best. No excuses. Going to catch UCLA

Before biggest game of new season November 13, 2023

Let’s just compete guys. Cal cares!!!! Crying to Frank Martin

And yet many don’t see a change?

There's obviously been a change, BUT my acceptance of a probable loss in this game is because the bigs are out.

If we had Bradshaw and Big Z, I would be thumping my chest and expecting to win this thing, and would be pissed if we don't.

But given we are missing 2 really key guys, including a potential top-5 pick and 100% of our rim protection...yeah I am going into this game with a slightly calmer mindset.

Reactions: Seakat311
Yes. He injured his foot in March and was hoping it would heal without surgery. It did not, so he had surgery on his foot at the end of June with the hopes he would heal in time to play around the beginning of season. So it has not taken 8 months for his initial injury to heal. It has taken approximately 4 months for his surgically repaired foot to heal. You may think that's a long time, but I have no idea what kind of surgery it was and what is normal for it heal enough to play basketball, so I can't really say if it took longer than it expected or not.
I've had hip and knee replacement and I'm well into my 50s. Walked the same day on both surgeries.

4 months is plenty of time to heal and begin moving and doing things. 18 and 19 year old bodies heal a lot faster than mine do.

Reactions: KFuqua
How is it that Bradshaw breaks a foot 8 months ago and is still out? Onyenso breaks a foot 4 months ago and is still out. But Georgia star TE Bowers breaks an ankle 3 weeks ago and is back in the lineup. Can somebody explain this to me?
Because Brock Bowers didn't "Break" his ankle. He had a high ankle sprain and had a very new "tightrope" procedure done to speed up the healing. Apples/oranges.

Reactions: ukcatz12 and UK90
I've had hip and knee replacement and I'm well into my 50s. Walked the same day on both surgeries.

4 months is plenty of time to heal and begin moving and doing things. 18 and 19 year old bodies heal a lot faster than mine do.
Your anecdotal story has nothing to do with how long it should take his foot to heal enough to play basketball. Surely you understand that.

I have come to the realization that being a UK basketball fan is kind of like being a fan of a AAA baseball team. Enjoy the players as they pass through on their way to the show. That's why I'm glad we have Sheppard and now Travis Perry. Those guys are UK lifers.

I think all of the 3 bigs will need to prove they are healthy by playing some this year if they want to go in the draft next year. None of the three are projected as lottery picks next year from what I've seen. So I feel confident they will play when healthy/eligible.

Last edited:

I had shoulder surgery several years ago & I'm still feeling it. An incision is like a canyon. Surgery is so common that people almost imagine it's trivial. It isn't.

Reactions: ganner918
It's a yearly thing lately with UK program. But fans who support the coach over the program can't see those either.
I don’t support the coach over the program. I have been very dissatisfied with his performance the last few years. Whether we have injuries every year has no bearing on how long it should take Bradshaw to heal and how quickly you stood after hip replacement has no bearing on it either.

I don’t support the coach over the program. I have been very dissatisfied with his performance the last few years. Whether we have injuries every year has no bearing on how long it should take Bradshaw to heal and how quickly you stood after hip replacement has no bearing on it either.
Being clueless about what I was trying to say is really your thing.

These players get the absolute best treatment and care. I'm just a nobody. Cal even said today they are waiting on one of the 7 footers to be able to play. Meaning they need one of them to have a chance. Doubting Bradshaw ever steps on the court. No idea where Ugo is in his recovery.

I broke an ankle bone when I was 42 years old. I wore a cast for six weeks and it was fine after that. I was not an NBA first rounder, and that may have had something to do with it.

Ugo, Bradshaw and Z .. 3 seven footers , obviously not going to play at the same time .. Ugo is a project , I don’t have a clue about Bradshaw and since he’s never stepped on the floor in a real college game we don’t know what we are getting , same with the Big Z guy — from reading the excuses piling up on here you would think Bird Magic and Jordan were missing off a team . Yeah it matters but it’s really a bench warmer , and 2 guys we know nothing about

Ugo, Bradshaw and Z .. 3 seven footers , obviously not going to play at the same time .. Ugo is a project , I don’t have a clue about Bradshaw and since he’s never stepped on the floor in a real college game we don’t know what we are getting , same with the Big Z guy — from reading the excuses piling up on here you would think Bird Magic and Jordan were missing off a team . Yeah it matters but it’s really a bench warmer , and 2 guys we know nothing about
Well it happens to be our entire depth chart at one position...

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Because our guys are 7 footers who run up and down a basketball court constantly while using said broken foot to jump up and down as well.

Big dif than a football player with a damn strain.

Come on Man!
Exactly. And football players both offense and defense actually play only about five and a half minutes a game with constant breaks in the action . Basketball players 40 minutes of continuous action shifting positions while guarding , jumping to rebound of Bloc shots etc. much more difficult in basketball.

It literally said in the article the typical recovery time is 6-8 weeks. And analysts predicted he might make it back by the SECC game. He worked his butt off to get back and there's no way he played at 100%.
The key difference here is that Bowers can’t hurt the ankle more by playing - it’s a pain tolerance issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT