ADVERTISEMENT

What's the most painful injury you've suffered playing sports?

michaeluk26

Senior
Feb 15, 2013
In football I tore my quad freshman year during spring practice. I landed on my right foot awkwardly and it popped so loud and the pain was excruciating. I passed out it was so bad.

In basketball against Garrad county in basketball I'd ran and jumped as fast as possible and my foot landed on another players foot and rolled my ankle. I felt pops on the inside and outside and I literally puked on their shitty court. I'd torn tendons on the inside and outside. My foot stayed purple for 4 months.

Honorable mention goes to tearing my ACL/MCL in the playoffs. I played a whole half on that knee because I'd taken tylox, loratab 10s, Vicodin 7.5 and smoked a huge joint before the game. That next day, when the pain pills wore off were bad. Anyways I know surely some of you have had painful injuries. Just curious what people's most painful was.

I’ve rolled my ankle multiple times, like most probably have. I thought the first time was the worst, Until…I did it playing softball at 3b chasing a foul pop up by the fence not realizing I was at the fence, getting my right cleat caught in the fence. Was so bad when got to the ER they said it’s definitely broken. Turned out it wasn’t. But tore ligaments on both the inside and outside of the ankle. On crutches for a week, a boot another week, then lace up brace for a month.

I’m sure some of you have had worse, I’ve even seen worse from teammates, including one who somehow fouled a baseball into his own eye socket breaking the bone around the eye.

In football I tore my quad freshman year during spring practice. I landed on my right foot awkwardly and it popped so loud and the pain was excruciating. I passed out it was so bad.

In basketball against Garrad county in basketball I'd ran and jumped as fast as possible and my foot landed on another players foot and rolled my ankle. I felt pops on the inside and outside and I literally puked on their shitty court. I'd torn tendons on the inside and outside. My foot stayed purple for 4 months.

Honorable mention goes to tearing my ACL/MCL in the playoffs. I played a whole half on that knee because I'd taken tylox, loratab 10s, Vicodin 7.5 and smoked a huge joint before the game. That next day, when the pain pills wore off were bad. Anyways I know surely some of you have had painful injuries. Just curious what people's most painful was.
Do you use bubblewrap now?

I never injured myself in sports… or broke a bone… but I’ve badly bone bruised my shin by hitting it on a corner. My shin blew up like a third knee and had a limp for over a month.

Second most painful injury was In high school; I hated going to my locker so I’d carry all my books (dufus.) well one day my back gave out. I missed school the next couple days and could barely walk for a day.

Reactions: michaeluk26
I’ve rolled my ankle multiple times, like most probably have. I thought the first time was the worst, Until…I did it playing softball at 3b chasing a foul pop up by the fence not realizing I was at the fence, getting my right cleat caught in the fence. Was so bad when got to the ER they said it’s definitely broken. Turned out it wasn’t. But tore ligaments on both the inside and outside of the ankle. On crutches for a week, a boot another week, then lace up brace for a month.

I’m sure some of you have had worse, I’ve even seen worse from teammates, including one who somehow fouled a baseball into his own eye socket breaking the bone around the eye.
Rolled ankles are horribly painful

I tried to play basketball but had very weak ankles. Last time I tore ligaments in my left ankle so I gave it up. Was not that good anyways just love trying to play.

I forgot about the woman’s jaw I broke playing cord softball. I was at SS turning a double play threw an 80mph bullet to my 1B, who was good and normally makes the catch but this time she somehow missed it and it hit the runner on the side of her jaw.

Like several in this thread mine was a severely sprained ankle while playing open gym summer ball that took a couple of months to get over. Then to add insult to injury I did the same thing to the other ankle only a couple of weeks after I was able to get back to playing again which had me out for a couple of more months.

Soccer. Went up to head the ball, opponents chin met the top of my head and had to get 10 stitches.

Pretty fortunate for as many years as I played sports. Had to get stitches 4 times total. 2 in soccer, 2 in basketball.

No broken bones or torn muscles, etc….

Oct/Nov 1995- Broken ribs, cracked hip, racing motocross
April 1996 - Broke my left thumb jumping bicycles
May 1996 (3 days after getting cast off my thumb)- Broke my lower left tibia, left fibula, crushed physis (growth plate), racing motocross
March 2000- Broke right radius, ulna, physis (growth plate), practicing motocross
November 2000- Broke upper left tibia, fibula, and had growth plate fracture at the knee, racing motocross

The last one was the worst. I was going into turn one with the rest of the field and stuck my foot out for the turn right into a tractor tire marking the course. All of my speed and momentum was stopped by my lower leg in the tire, and my leg broke. It wasn't over, however. My lower leg was buried in half underneath my upper leg, upper body, and the weight of a dirt bike, as other racers were running over my bike (I was in the lead when I crashed). It took another racer stopping to come and lift the bike off of me before I got freed from the awkward, painful position.

Separated my right shoulder in 8th grade football practice. Coaches popped in back in. I was sore for weeks but it eventually went away.

Reinjured the same shoulder in college whilst drunken wrestling. Same thing. Sore for days, eventually felt better. Never went to the doctor.

20+ years later: Shoulder still hurts and it’s getting worse every year.

Second place: Took an 85 mph fastball to the ankle bone in a high school baseball game. Couldn’t wear a tied shoe for 10 days and couldn’t run on it for over a month. I missed almost all of the rest of the season.

3. I didn't really play sports until 5th grade. The summer between 4th and 5th, there was baseball at summer camp. Players were assigned randomly, and they put me at 3rd base. The 4th or 5th batter hit a line drive down the line, and I extended my hands to catch it. Right in the face.

2. The Fall of senior year in high school, a rebounder landed on my foot and broke my pinkie toe. Those don't heal so that bone is still loose in there, painful, but it wasn't agony.

1. Sixth grade, during PE, we were introduced to soccer. The goal was framed by the iron pillars that held up the roof that covered the walk to the church. (Catholic parochial school.) I was goalie and when play began I went right to catch a kick and caught a pillar full on my right ear. I went down hard and may have briefly passed out. My head rang like a tuning fork for the rest of the afternoon.

Honorable mention.

My one boxing bout, I was punching away on a kid who was a year older and 20 lbs heavier. Then, with no transition at all, I was looking up at everyone. I had briefly been knocked out. Never felt a thing.

- Rolled my ankle badly playing a pick-up game of basketball at the park. I couldn't walk at all the next morning and went to the doctor to see if I broke my ankle - it really felt like I did.

- Not an injury, but in high school, I got MRSA from the football locker room and had to have surgery four days later to remove the infection from my foot. I had to stuff a 1.5 inch hole with gauze for weeks as it healed - brutal.

Oct/Nov 1995- Broken ribs, cracked hip, racing motocross
April 1996 - Broke my left thumb jumping bicycles
May 1996 (3 days after getting cast off my thumb)- Broke my lower left tibia, left fibula, crushed physis (growth plate), racing motocross
March 2000- Broke right radius, ulna, physis (growth plate), practicing motocross
November 2000- Broke upper left tibia, fibula, and had growth plate fracture at the knee, racing motocross

The last one was the worst. I was going into turn one with the rest of the field and stuck my foot out for the turn right into a tractor tire marking the course. All of my speed and momentum was stopped by my lower leg in the tire, and my leg broke. It wasn't over, however. My lower leg was buried in half underneath my upper leg, upper body, and the weight of a dirt bike, as other racers were running over my bike (I was in the lead when I crashed). It took another racer stopping to come and lift the bike off of me before I got freed from the awkward, painful position.
Common theme here. Don't race motocross unless you like to be a frequent visitor to the ER.

I raced quads for a while in my late teens in the 90s. I had an incident in turn 1 but for me it was having another quad land on my back and knock me off mine and our quads were all tangled. I too was first out of the gate. I wore tire prints on my back for 3 weeks. I quit after that and decided I liked just joy riding.

Summer of ‘83 playing basketball and caught an elbow to my mouth. Didn’t knock my front teeth out, but instead knocked them straight up through the gum line behind my nose; there were only bloody holes where my teeth once were. The worst part was that I had dental braces and the braces remained attached to my teeth so the wire cut through the gum and bone. At first, we were all on our knees trying to find my teeth on the floor, but they were actually behind my nose. The worst part was the little needle-nose pliers going up into the holes in my gums and pulling teeth and wire back down through the cuts…wasn’t too fun!😄

Stubbed toe. I've had a broken foot and several sprained ankles but the worst was when I stubbed my toe on a crack on a tennis court. Pushed my big toenail straight back about a quarter inch; took a lot longer than the break to heal completely.

Broke my leg (tibia and fibia), on a fly ball to left center field. In a cast from April to September. It was a particularly severe break and had lots of issues with setting and healing. 40 years later and I still have one leg slightly shorter and crooked.

Just a sprained ankle playing basketball. I had previously broken the same ankle, and subsequently severely sprained it again. Now my right ankle always pops and crackles and if I step wrong it gets sore really quick

Completely tore my Achilles tendon into. 6 months in a cast with my foot pointed down. High heel shoe that had a half inch cut off the heel every week or two. Not fun.

I took a tipped fast ball to the Adam's apple as a catcher. That was before they added the guard to the face masks to protect the old goozle.
Thought I was dead. Wore those baseball stitches on my throat for several weeks. All different colors.

I've had several sprianed ankles playing basketball.

I separated a shoulder riding a bike.

I sprained my AC joint in my 30's playing touch football in the back yard.

Rolled my left ankle really bad one time. Swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. Had to have it x-rayed because mom swore I broke it. I didn't. But dang did it hurt.

I'm actually double jointed in my ankles, I can literally roll them out and walk on the sides of my feet for short distances. So, when I sprain an ankle, it's very very bad.

I took a baseball to my left eye as a kid as well. Now THAT hurt. Buddy of mine and I were playing catch before a game and we got a little too serious. I wasn't paying attention for a split second and WHAM. Took it right in my left eye. My God that hurt. Went to a doc next day because dad was worried about orbital socket damage. I got very lucky. That one turned the whole spectrum of colors on me....blue, black, purple, little bit of green. Still to this day, it's the eye that twitches under stress or eye strain.

Last edited:

Stress fracture right femur...in intramural football. I was at sports med. everyday for months rehabbing

Broken left wrist. Hung on the rim after a dunk, my feet flew out and I came down with my left arm under me.
It was a dislocated fracture but no bone came through the skin.

No worries about that now. I’m 52 and my hops are gone lol

Yeah,stress fracture in my right leg,hurt pretty bad for a little while.Dislocated shoulder.Really not too bad.

Man, I’ve been there. Worst pain I’ve ever had. Wasn’t playing sports, but jumping from second floor window onto concrete pad below. Was slightly drunk. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Yeah it’s definitely the worst pain I’ve ever been in. I’ve had broken ribs, punctured lungs, sprained ankles, all that sort of stuff. Nothing even comes close.

Also funny enough after the X ray my dr said “what did you jump off of and how drunk were you” haha

Last edited:
I'm left handed could top out about 88 MPH on my fastball. Has a really good curve. This was mid 1980s.
Was playing softball one summer. Dove for a foul pop. Landed on my left shoulder. Tour rotar cuff. Topped out at about 58 MPH after that.

Rolled ankles but I think if you play the game that's gonna happen. Worst was one after high school. Had to wear a cast for six weeks.

5 stiches from two elbows.

Hit in the family jewels several times.

Collapsed Lung after 2 hours of basketball
Dislocated pinky playing basketball

Playing baseball got ran over at 1st base and my ankle was stepped on by a guy who had 100 LBS on me.

Had some hamstring issues playing soccer but they were more strains and bounced back after a couple weeks.

I never played any kind of contact sport. I ran track. I was running when another HS student ran over me with his truck. I wasn't seriously hurt but I couldn't wear a bathing suit for a long long time from sliding on the pavement.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT